Notifications
Clear all

my+subcision+experience

MemberMember
(@byescar)

Posted : 08/17/2017 12:12 am

My treatment journey started in 2014, I did to Palomar laser with no luck and no improvement. So I stopped, until I saw a post on this forum. The post recommended Dr. Morganroth who is in the Bay Area. The girl saw a great improvement after the first treatment and did three in total. She mainly had rolling scars, so subcision worked very well on her.

I have a combination with boxcar, ice pick, and rolling scars. I hate mostly the two large box car scars from adult chickenpox when I was 18. The next I am concerned of are the small tiny but very deep boxcar and icepicks.

I did two sessions with Dr Morganroth costing $1500 each session and saw improvement. I am not sure where to go next. I probably will do another subcision with him, because I saw that the two chickenpox scars that I hated most indeed raised, even though the edges are still clear.

Any advice on how to blend the edges and make it less visible is appreciated.

So here comes the pictures before the treatment. Sorry for the different lighting....
Here are forehead comparison before the treatment and after the 2nd subcision
forehead beforeforehead_before_2.JPG
forehead after
forehead_2nd_1.JPG

There does not seem to be a huge difference on my left cheek

MemberMember
(@byescar)

Posted : 08/17/2017 12:30 am

Here comes the largest difference on my right cheek:
right cheek before 
right_before.JPG
right cheek after the 1st treatment:
right_1st_1.JPG
I don't even need to point out the area that has improvement.
The two chicken pox scars are now of my highest concern, 2nd comes the little scars on my right cheek. I took very good care of my skin after my 1st treatment. The second treatment did not show as much improvement as the first treatment. I took photos at different places and different lightings. So the image may not show the real improvement. But I have tried my best to select photos with similar lightings.

QuanHenry liked
MemberMember
(@byescar)

Posted : 08/17/2017 12:50 am

Here comes the comparison between the 1st treatment and the 2nd treatment. I didn't take very good care of my skin recently. So the scar looks worse than the 1st treatment. I guess there were also some swelling when I took the 1st picture (It was about 1 month after the 1st treatment). Hydtration is very important to make scars look better.
Right cheek after 1st treatment
right_1st_1.JPG
Right cheek after the 2nd treatment.... Definitely worse than the 1st picture (I am about 5 month out of the 2nd treatment now, didn't take very good care of my skin)
right_2nd_2.JPG

But still the scars look much better than before any treatment. The rolling scars improved the most. Other scars either stays the same, or raised a little bit. The two large chicken pox scars definitely raised... even though it does not show up to be so in the pictures.... sorry for the different lighting. But I think you can still see the difference.
Right cheek, before treatment
right_before_0.JPG
right cheek after 2nd treatment
right_2nd_2.JPG

I am trying to pair my photos with similar lighting and similar direction so that you can see the difference....
right cheek before treatment
right_before_9.JPG
right cheek after treatment
right_2nd_1.JPG

MemberMember
(@byescar)

Posted : 08/17/2017 1:12 am

The only difference between the 1st and 2nd treatment is that I ate fish oil before the 1st surgery, but I didn't take fish oil before the 2nd surgery.
I was bleeding a lot during the 1st surgery. The nurse told me it was because of the fish oil and I shouldn't take it until several days after the surgery. I didn't take fish oil just want to see the difference. I think I got better result from the 1st surgery (Maybe because my skin was still swelling after 1 month) but I definitely bruised longer after the 1st treatment. I guess I will continue taking the fish oil before the 3rd treatment. What do you think?

Also I don't see anybody having very good result on their chicken pox scars. I really hate the chicken pox scars on my right cheek. But I don't want to take the risk of excising them. But I can see that subcision only raise them up a little bit, but the contours are still clear. Any idea on what I should do on treating them further?

Dr. Morgaroth said he was only very good at subcision and he won't do CO2 or TCA cross on me. So what do you think may help the chicken pox scars? or any recommendation on doctors? I think I have too many types of scars. But I want to get rid of the two large chicken pox scars. Is it better to combine different treatments? Or is it the same doing subcision first and then finding another person to treat the contours? Thanks in advance.

I hope my results can help you.

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 08/17/2017 7:02 am

Surely you need to be thinking about tca treatment rather than all subscision work.you have lots of ice picks and some boxcar,why are you not tca crossing them?

MemberMember
(@beautifulambition)

Posted : 08/17/2017 9:53 am

I agree with Quad, I think you need more subcisions, some of the spots are still tethered. Once you do 1 or 2 more. I would do several TCA spot peels on the area of the scars and tca cross for your ice picks. Because it seems you have ethnic skin you must use hydroquinone aka skin bleach cream and retin a a few weeks before you peel and after you heal from your peel, this avoids hyperpigmentation. Please also dilute and do test spots as ethnic skin cannot take higher percentages. You can goto any med spa and get this done or checkout the faq top of the acne scar sub, then the acid peels section and link all things peels.It will take 2-3 years for your peels depending on your down time and what you have time to do.

MemberMember
(@byescar)

Posted : 08/17/2017 5:05 pm

10 hours ago, Quadboy said:

Surely you need to be thinking about tca treatment rather than all subscision work.you have lots of ice picks and some boxcar,why are you not tca crossing them?

Because I don't find any doctor who I could find some review doing TCA cross in the Bay Area. Do you happen to know any?

7 hours ago, beautifulambition said:

I agree with Quad, I think you need more subcisions, some of the spots are still tethered. Once you do 1 or 2 more. I would do several TCA spot peels on the area of the scars and tca cross for your ice picks. Because it seems you have ethnic skin you must use hydroquinone aka skin bleach cream and retin a a few weeks before you peel and after you heal from your peel, this avoids hyperpigmentation. Please also dilute and do test spots as ethnic skin cannot take higher percentages. You can goto any med spa and get this done or checkout the faq top of the acne scar sub, then the acid peels section and link all things peels.It will take 2-3 years for your peels depending on your down time and what you have time to do.

Thanks for the suggestion. I am not very comfortable doing it on my own. The problem is that Dr. Morganroth won't do TCA cross on me. I can only find a doctor who can do TCA peel, but she does not usually do TCA cross nor do I see any review of her doing TCA cross. So I am not very comfortable doing TCA cross with her either. Do you happen to know any doctor who can do TCA cross in the Bay Area who are also experienced?

I found that Dr Rullan do TCA cross, but I don't see any review of him doing TCA cross on this forum. I wouldn't mind flying to South Cal if he does a good job.

MemberMember
(@beautifulambition)

Posted : 08/18/2017 10:26 am

Dr Rullan or Dr. Ransom Sf - No idea if they will do it on your skin type, Ransom may say laser but tell him you want tca cross for icepicks. Bay area Drs mainly do laser unless you goto the very expensive California Dermatology which price fixes many derms in the bay area, they would do it.

MemberMember
(@byescar)

Posted : 08/19/2017 4:17 pm

On 8/18/2017 at 8:26 AM, beautifulambition said:

Dr Rullan or Dr. Ransom Sf - No idea if they will do it on your skin type, Ransom may say laser but tell him you want tca cross for icepicks. Bay area Drs mainly do laser unless you goto the very expensive California Dermatology which price fixes many derms in the bay area, they would do it.

Do you mean California Dermatology Care?

MemberMember
(@beautifulambition)

Posted : 08/20/2017 6:27 am

Yes, they price fix most of the derms in the area, you call the 800 number and they connect you based on the treatment you need. IE. Dr. Ting in San Ramon is CA derm, etc..

MemberMember
(@massspring7)

Posted : 08/21/2017 8:43 pm

Hey, just curious, did Dr Morganroth suggest anything for your temple scars (looks they are atrophic and not just hyperpigmentation there based on the pics) or did you get anything done for those? In a couple of the photos, your temple scars look like mine do and I was considering visiting Dr Morganroth for subcision on them. I read online that some doctors wont do subcision on forehead and temples due to facial nerves? Did Morganroth have anything to say regarding that?

MemberMember
(@byescar)

Posted : 11/11/2017 2:19 pm

On 8/21/2017 at 6:43 PM, MassSpring7 said:

Hey, just curious, did Dr Morganroth suggest anything for your temple scars (looks they are atrophic and not just hyperpigmentation there based on the pics) or did you get anything done for those? In a couple of the photos, your temple scars look like mine do and I was considering visiting Dr Morganroth for subcision on them. I read online that some doctors wont do subcision on forehead and temples due to facial nerves? Did Morganroth have anything to say regarding that?

He did subsicion on my temple. But it did not improve much.

On 8/18/2017 at 8:26 AM, beautifulambition said:

Should I see doctor Paul Rullan or his daughter?

MemberMember
(@sirius-lee)

Posted : 11/11/2017 6:06 pm

On 8/17/2017 at 3:05 PM, byescar said:

Because I don't find any doctor who I could find some review doing TCA cross in the Bay Area. Do you happen to know any?

Face peels are the easiest procedure. There are tons of DIY videos on Youtube. Start out using less potent chemical peels like glycolic  or salycylic acid, then move up to TCA when you're feeling comfy. Seriously, you can do this on your own. How difficult is it to dip a toothpick in TCA and poke the icepick with the solution? (should I roll my eyes? :) Thank god, it ain't rocket science.)

MemberMember
(@byescar)

Posted : 11/11/2017 6:28 pm

21 minutes ago, Sirius Lee said:
Face peels are the easiest procedure. There are tons of DIY videos on Youtube. Start out using less potent chemical peels like glycolic  or salycylic acid, then move up to TCA when you're feeling comfy. Seriously, you can do this on your own. How difficult is it to dip a toothpick in TCA and poke the icepick with the solution? (should I roll my eyes? :) Thank god, it ain't rocket science.)

I heard one need to stretch the skin when dip the toothpick because you only want the TCA to touch the bottom but not the walls

MemberMember
(@sirius-lee)

Posted : 11/11/2017 7:48 pm

1 hour ago, byescar said:

I heard one need to stretch the skin when dip the toothpick because you only want the TCA to touch the bottom but not the walls

Well, my point was that it could be easily done at home at your own pace.

MemberMember
(@ohwellletstry)

Posted : 11/17/2017 9:14 pm

Have you tried suction and/or needling?

MemberMember
(@byescar)

Posted : 11/21/2017 11:22 am

On 11/11/2017 at 4:48 PM, Sirius Lee said:
Well, my point was that it could be easily done at home at your own pace.

I saw some posts online where people failed to do it and were left more scars. So I feel it's safer to let a professional do it. Thanks for the advice though.

On 11/17/2017 at 6:14 PM, ohwellletstry said:

Have you tried suction and/or needling?

I suctioned after both subcision sessions, but i didn't do needling. I am thinking about it. Do you do needling by yourself? I remember seeing a post about a paper saying that combining needling and subcision will give better result on this forum, but cannot find it now. does anybody have a link to that paper?

MemberMember
(@beautifulambition)

Posted : 11/21/2017 11:28 am

@byescarThe paper is under the faq - top post of the acne scar sub, tca peels, and then the link to all things peels. On the first page it's a medical paper where they used TCA, Microneedling, and sub for great results.

You can buy a cheap dermastamp at home 1.5mm or the derminator ... dot come if interested is great too (if you hate needles quicker and can do multi lengths). You would alternate this with your peels monthly and subcision, giving yourself time to heal or spaces in between (body is slow 3 months for collagen).

With sub get saline injections (cheap) and vacuum or chinese cupping for 3 weeks after, or do filler, some of your scars are superficial so you don't want bumps and thus saline and cupping is better.

I would not being doing your own procedure with your skin type, I agree, potential of complications.

MemberMember
(@byescar)

Posted : 12/01/2017 1:19 am

On 11/21/2017 at 8:28 AM, beautifulambition said:
@byescarThe paper is under the faq - top post of the acne scar sub, tca peels, and then the link to all things peels. On the first page it's a medical paper where they used TCA, Microneedling, and sub for great results.

You can buy a cheap dermastamp at home 1.5mm or the derminator ... dot come if interested is great too (if you hate needles quicker and can do multi lengths). You would alternate this with your peels monthly and subcision, giving yourself time to heal or spaces in between (body is slow 3 months for collagen).

With sub get saline injections (cheap) and vacuum or chinese cupping for 3 weeks after, or do filler, some of your scars are superficial so you don't want bumps and thus saline and cupping is better.

I would not being doing your own procedure with your skin type, I agree, potential of complications.

I am thinking about flying to the South Cal and visit Dr Rullan. I will see how TCA cross goes. Thanks very much for your suggestions!

MemberMember
(@byescar)

Posted : 12/02/2017 11:55 pm

@beautifulambitionI showed Dr Rullan pictures of my scars before and after the 1st and 2nd subcision, he suggests me to do another round of subcision + deep microneedling + TCA CROSS. I am kinda afraid of doing all the procedures in one day, but he says that he did this combination on multiple patients and none of them was left with more scars. My question is: I used suctioning method after subcision, and it is very helpful, I wanted to do suctioning again after the new round of subcision, but I also know that there will be scab from TCA CROSS, it is very important to let the scabs naturally fall off. Does it mean I cannot do suctioning after the subcision? What do you think? I can also do subcision alone first and then do deep micro needling + TCA CROSS. But the winter break is the best time, and it will be much convenient to do them all together, because I will be on the job market starting from January, and I do not want any redness on my face during that time.

MemberMember
(@beautifulambition)

Posted : 12/03/2017 6:34 pm

@byescarNormal Sub - Do not suction until the wounds are closed, for many this is 2 days, if they heal quickly, and for others more time. You know your skin best. Don't break open the scabs. I would have him (if he will) do saline injections, ... when those go down in a few days, then start your suctioning and do them for a few weeks.

We don't suction with TCA Cross, ... it takes many procedures to raise the scar bed. The scab is necessary.

Yes seperate out the sub (one treatment) and micro needling with tca cross (another treatment).

Subcision you can do suctioning. TCA Cross you cannot, as this is different.

Typically you will need multiple TCA Cross and subcisions, if he thinks it's only one needed. Do a mega session and do it all. I do not advise this but time is important.

MemberMember
(@byescar)

Posted : 12/04/2017 1:05 am

@beautifulambitionThanks for the advice. I lean toward doing two sessions instead of doing one. Do you think I should do subcision first or TCA CROSS and micro needling first based on my photos? Thanks in advance.

MemberMember
(@beautifulambition)

Posted : 12/04/2017 10:13 am

@byescarDo the sub first and saline injections with Chinese cupping (amazon), then the rest. I replied to your other post.

MemberMember
(@byescar)

Posted : 12/09/2017 6:09 pm

@beautifulambitionI'm seeing dr rullan on 18th. I'm still kind of worried. I think he will do all tca cross + subcision + micro needling on me. I'm really afraid the mega procedure will ruin my skin...... maybe I will discuss with him on just doing subcision + micro needling.

MemberMember
(@ohwellletstry)

Posted : 01/22/2018 8:23 pm

Are you using Retin A or Tazorac or something similar to help with cell renewal?