Notifications
Clear all

Please checkout this future possible treatment for scars

MemberMember
(@mjg713)

Posted : 08/17/2016 4:11 pm

I posted in the Scarless Healing thread but I am curious of everyones opinion on this upcoming treatment called Stratagraft, you can read about it here : http://www.pmlive.com/pharma_news/irelands_mallinckrodt_buys_us_regenerative_medicine_firm_1099318 . It is in it's third phase of FDA approval and suppose to be approved by 2020. It is being used for 2nd and 3rd degree burns but plastic surgery and scar revision are also on its pipeline on the official website. It works similarly to hydrogel in which an artificial skin is placed over the wound and makes the skin regenerate itself rather than having to use a skin graft. I think it has potential.

MemberMember
(@childhooddreams)

Posted : 08/17/2016 8:30 pm

For starters, burn scars and acne scars are vastly different.

Secondly, the amount of "Amazing new medical breakthrough - Waiting for FDA approval!" headlines that pop-up are in the thousands. You see it all the time for skin products, hair products, smart-drug products.

But let's say hypothetically Stratagraft is a breakthrough. 2020 is four years from. That's only for the FDA approval, it will take some extra years for dermatologists to utilize it in their practice. This is assuming that it is even effective in the first place (acne-scar medical studies will also take at minimum one year to be produced)

By then our youths will have slipped away. Not that we'll ever stop caring about appearance, but waiting your entire 20's for "Stratagraft" is idiotic. If by then I'm still stressing about acne scars, then it's game over anyway. I've lost.

MemberMember
(@mjg713)

Posted : 08/17/2016 10:45 pm

2 hours ago, ChildhoodDreams said:

For starters, burn scars and acne scars are vastly different.

Secondly, the amount of "Amazing new medical breakthrough - Waiting for FDA approval!" headlines that pop-up are in the thousands. You see it all the time for skin products, hair products, smart-drug products.

But let's say hypothetically Stratagraft is a breakthrough. 2020 is four years from. That's only for the FDA approval, it will take some extra years for dermatologists to utilize it in their practice. This is assuming that it is even effective in the first place (acne-scar medical studies will also take at minimum one year to be produced)

By then our youths will have slipped away. Not that we'll ever stop caring about appearance, but waiting your entire 20's for "Stratagraft" is idiotic. If by then I'm still stressing about acne scars, then it's game over anyway. I've lost.

Well technically this isn't like the thousands of headlines you see considering it is in Phase 3 of FDA approval. It also say it should be approved BY 2020, so it doesn't necessarily have to be 2020. Also, why would it take years for dermatologists to utilize it? it hasn't taken them years for other products to be utilized, there is also the option of having something done outside of the United States. I do understand your points, but there is some misconceptions.