Notifications
Clear all

What kind of scars do I have? Severity? Solution?

MemberMember
(@holdingontohope)

Posted : 05/01/2016 8:56 pm

This is my better cheek. Unfortunately,  every new cyst I get scars very bad, say hello to that big circle scar which just formed not too long ago.

What types of scarring do I have? How bad would you say it is? What will work best?

I am planning on going to a bunch of consults so I can see what each doc has to say. I went to one recently and the guy was an effing weirdo and kept trying to push CO2 laser on me and would not consider subcision.

I am also considering doing things myself such as needling and peels if it will help.

I've done dermarolling (dermaroller and pen) once with a surgeon.

I am in Michigan if anyone has any doc suggestions. Though, I am willing to travel as far as I need to go and spend whatever I need to spend. I was extremely depressed over this, still am, but there's a hope in me that isn't allowing for any negativity. I am working towards a journey of healing.

Oh - and I watermarked because I don't want some Nerium idiot to take my photo and use it.

IMG_9206.jpg

MemberMember
(@quanhenry)

Posted : 05/01/2016 9:12 pm

I think you would do well with Fraxel. My scars used to look similar but have flattened out considerably.

MemberMember
(@holdingontohope)

Posted : 05/01/2016 9:25 pm

13 minutes ago, QuanHenry said:

I think you would do well with Fraxel. My scars used to look similar but have flattened out considerably.

Do you have pics?

MemberMember
(@quanhenry)

Posted : 05/01/2016 11:39 pm

No sorry

MemberMember
(@pursuit-of-happyness)

Posted : 05/02/2016 8:00 am

Boxcar scars , look for subcision first , and then decide your next steps from this point .

Rdnhey liked
MemberMember
(@paul-b)

Posted : 05/03/2016 6:58 am

On 02/05/2016 at 2:56 AM, holdingontohope said:

I am planning on going to a bunch of consults so I can see what each doc has to say. I went to one recently and the guy was an effing weirdo and kept trying to push CO2 laser on me and would not consider subcision.

This is the problem, I have difficulty trusting people. When someone recommends something I wonder if it is because they think its the best thing for me or because its the only thing they know about/practice with. I've been to see a lot of people, some with high reputations - and even then I wonder if they truly know about all the possible procedures out there and what its best in which situation. I kind of hold the experiences of other sufferers in higher regard than what some professionals say. It is really hard to find someone with expertise in this field I have found.

Anyway, my own personal plan of action to tackle boxcars based on my own past experiences and intensive research is skin needling. I am yet to try it, but it's the conclusion I've come to for the best course of action for me to try next. Trouble is, it's something you've got to commit to over a long period of time and results aren't likely to come quick. If you've had one dermarolling session HotH then it's probably too soon for you to have an opinion one way or another as to whether it is likely to be effective, though I'd suggest that you keep at it.

Interesting that you should mention subcision for boxcars PoH as I have heard this suggested before but I find that subcision is only generally recognised as a solution for rolling scars. For example, I have been to see a doctor in my country who is supposed to be at the top of the field and he only suggested subcision for my rolling scars. He deemed the use of lasers and suchlike on by boxcars as "too risky".

I can understand the logic of subcision on rolling scars as it can lift the skin up level with everything else. Whereas with boxcars, there is a visible build-up of scar tissue from the surface of the skin so how does lifting up the skin help with that? Unless the idea is to decrease the depression in the skin and then work on breaking up the scar tissue itself by needling or whatever means?

MemberMember
(@holdingontohope)

Posted : 05/03/2016 12:13 pm

5 hours ago, Paul B said:
This is the problem, I have difficulty trusting people. When someone recommends something I wonder if it is because they think its the best thing for me or because its the only thing they know about/practice with. I've been to see a lot of people, some with high reputations - and even then I wonder if they truly know about all the possible procedures out there and what its best in which situation. I kind of hold the experiences of other sufferers in higher regard than what some professionals say. It is really hard to find someone with expertise in this field I have found.

Anyway, my own personal plan of action to tackle boxcars based on my own past experiences and intensive research is skin needling. I am yet to try it, but it's the conclusion I've come to for the best course of action for me to try next. Trouble is, it's something you've got to commit to over a long period of time and results aren't likely to come quick. If you've had one dermarolling session HotH then it's probably too soon for you to have an opinion one way or another as to whether it is likely to be effective, though I'd suggest that you keep at it.

Interesting that you should mention subcision for boxcars PoH as I have heard this suggested before but I find that subcision is only generally recognised as a solution for rolling scars. For example, I have been to see a doctor in my country who is supposed to be at the top of the field and he only suggested subcision for my rolling scars. He deemed the use of lasers and suchlike on by boxcars as "too risky".

I can understand the logic of subcision on rolling scars as it can lift the skin up level with everything else. Whereas with boxcars, there is a visible build-up of scar tissue from the surface of the skin so how does lifting up the skin help with that? Unless the idea is to decrease the depression in the skin and then work on breaking up the scar tissue itself by needling or whatever means?

Yep - I agree 100% - this guy does boob jobs and nose jobs, I"m pretty sure he has no experience with acne scarring. I really do believe he has never done subcision even though it was listed on his website. I think I need to find someone who deals with acne scarring and not just some boob job doctor who wants to push CO2 laser on me. RIght away I knew that this guy sucked. For shits and giggles I asked him what kind of scars I had, and he couldn't even tell me what they were, let alone didn't even know the names of the scar type. That's why I think it is so important to educate yourself before going to these ***holes who don't know shit.

I will post a pic of my right side, which I think is more of the rolling scar type. I did have an aggressive dermarolling session which who knows, might've worsened my scars, because the doc who did them said I had mostly rolling scars. I've also had some cysts so maybe these are all pretty new.

I don't know if I should be using the pen, a roller, the stamp, single needle and if I should do it myself or go somewhere and do it.

MemberMember
(@quanhenry)

Posted : 05/03/2016 3:05 pm

Its true that each Dr. will push whatever treatment they have in stock, but lasers are proven effective. I probably wouldnt use the boob job doc though.

MemberMember
(@blahblahblahblahz)

Posted : 05/04/2016 10:27 am

First, don't go with this doctor. Anyone who suggests only one modality is not an expert, and frankly just after your money. You were smart to think twice about this surgeon. As many of us have found out the hard way, doctors will push what they know and have on hand. I recommend avoiding doctors who do not make acne scar correction a major part of their practice.

With boxcar scars, you ca do subcision on them but the sharp edges will still be noticeable. That's where resurfacing enters the picture. Once you lift the depression, resurfacing with laser / dermabrasion helps to soften / blend the sharp edges of boxcars.

MemberMember
(@holdingontohope)

Posted : 05/04/2016 12:46 pm

21 hours ago, QuanHenry said:

Its true that each Dr. will push whatever treatment they have in stock, but lasers are proven effective. I probably wouldnt use the boob job doc though.

He's a plastic surgeon. Probably rarely deals with acne scarring and when he does he pushes his good ol' CO2 laser on every patient.

Probably most plastic surgeons have never dealt with acne scarring.

2 hours ago, blahblah82 said:

First, don't go with this doctor. Anyone who suggests only one modality is not an expert, and frankly just after your money. You were smart to think twice about this surgeon. As many of us have found out the hard way, doctors will push what they know and have on hand. I recommend avoiding doctors who do not make acne scar correction a major part of their practice.

With boxcar scars, you ca do subcision on them but the sharp edges will still be noticeable. That's where resurfacing enters the picture. Once you lift the depression, resurfacing with laser / dermabrasion helps to soften / blend the sharp edges of boxcars.

If I can lift the boxcars I'll be happy!! Of course will smoothen them out but I guess baby steps first.

Is subcision usually recommended for box scars? Is needling something that will help?

MemberMember
(@holdingontohope)

Posted : 05/04/2016 1:09 pm

Also, does anyone know what kind of doctor I should be looking for? Do any dermatologist treat acne scarring?

MemberMember
(@scarredemon)

Posted : 05/05/2016 7:29 am

Approach as follows: Subcision and localized needling. Followed up with a aggressive ablative laser to smooth the edges to level. Lastly, use of heavy fillers for the remaining deficits. In America, try to utilize Bellafill.