Notifications
Clear all

My scars - any suggestions? What types are they? Severity?

MemberMember
(@naomiskin)

Posted : 11/06/2015 4:32 pm

On 11/5/2015 at 7:13 AM, il90 said:

This is EXACTLY what happens to me too. Although would you rather it be the other way around? At least you look good when you go to work and most day of work... then at night... yes it sucks... but you'll figure it out. At least you'll be a day time person instead of a night time one... It is definitely healthier... Look into dermastamp and subcision!

You have very pretty cheek bones! And, face of course.

Thanks:) Yeah maybe it's better this way, but it's sucks when you want to go out at night and look your worst:(.

On 11/5/2015 at 5:28 PM, il90 said:

What about taking a nap before you go out at night? How long do you have to be asleep for it to bloat up? Would fat grafting create the same? What about fillers?

I must say though, that in the last picture it only looks bad because of your cheek bones, the second picture isn't really that bad to be honest. It will definitely not distract from your looks or anything. Start dermapen, and maybe go see someone that can do TCA cross? It'll probably take you 3-4 times before you are satisfied but I think TCA is great for boxcar which is pretty much what you have.

I do that sometimes (taking a nap before going out), and 1-2 hours is enough for my skin to look better, but my skin gets worse pretty quick tho:(.
I'll look into TCA, but need more research on that:).

On 11/5/2015 at 8:55 PM, Andrei11 said:

pretty mind blowing the quantity of bad advice around here. you have moderate to severe scars, I will be left after Roaccutane with almost the same scars you have and 4 dermatologists I've been in the last 3 months told me that Fraxel laser is the only thing that will get me good results and I'll have to get 4-6 sessions and the best results might be seen after 6 monts and up to a year. I live in Romania, btw and I'm telling you what dermatologists told me, not what I believe it would be good for me. My current derm told me I have to wait at least 3 months after Roaccutane in order to get Fraxel laser.

Well, thanks for replying.:). To be honest, I don't think my scars are severe, more like moderate, but it's ugly i know,( could be worse though.)
I don't really believe whatdermatologists say any more.... too much bad experience from when i had acne..:( Money is a big factor here, and fraxel is pretty scary. Iwould try all the cheaper and safer options first, and if nothing helps, might give it a try (and of course when i have the money).

[removed]

MemberMember
(@naomiskin)

Posted : 11/06/2015 5:00 pm

First of all, I think there is a difference between 100 percent improvement and with being 100 percent satisfied. You can have a 50 percent improvement and be 100 percent satisfied. I think being satisfied or not depends on your expectations. Speaking for myself, I would be 100 percent satisfied with a 70 percent improvement, because i think this is at the upper end of what is achieveable and because it just doesn't have to be perfect.

Furthermore, i think that it is in part because of the fact that multiple treatment are needed that personal reviews are not representable for the treatment as a whole. You will see a lot of posts saying people are dissapointed, while they have had only one treatment and are therefore not even in a position to give an accurate review of the treatment. 

I also do not believe that anyone who succeeded in getting rid of severe or moderate scarring will share this on the internet. I can imagine that when you get to that point, you truley want to forget that awefull period as fast as you can. 

What also has to be taken into account is the phenomenon called 'tunnel vision': people tend to see only those reviews that fits with what they already do believe and they tend to discard those reviews that converge from their prior beliefs. 

Okay, you would be okay with 70% but you're still around though? Even you who don't even want 100% are drawn to these forums. The idea that I was presenting before was that having scar treatment is not going to be like walking in a straight line. Most will stumble and seek advice from other people before they reach the end of the road. Therefore, we will hear from more people in this case than in a case where you have more success rate straight away. 

I don't really want to argue with you, and I understand these theories very well... But if you do believe that we have 'tunnel vision' with regards to Subcision and dermapen it is also proper that you present studies (independent) to contradict the belief in the first place. You cannot just say oh you have 'tunnel vision' because you believe subcision is superior to laser, you have to actually convince me with proper studies that I am wrong. 

For now there are no comparative studies, which might never be developed considering the money that would be lost if word came out that these simple cheap procedures have the same effect with less risks, so there is no way of knowing.

But the fact is laser is really EXPENSIVE and RISKY, two things you don't want. While subcision and derma roller is very cheap and pretty safe really. This is not 'tunnel vision' it is just making an analytical decision on the evidence that exists today. I won't reject real evidence on this, because it is not a matter of being right, or winning an argument, but my life and my skin which comes before being right about this shit. Trust me I don't care, and if you are right then great because that means lasers WORK and that is better than winning any argument. 

ANYWAYS, all I want for OP though is not having to go through the painful experiences people seem to have had with Fraxel and lasers in general and that she finds a treatment that she will be happy with. 

Thank you il90, your post were really helpful. I've read a lot of bad reviews of lasers and I am to afraid to start with it (fdont have the money either), and starting with more safer and cheaper options seems like a good decision:)

You wrote :Subcision/TCA cross/dermapen/prp. What is prp? And what is the best option to start with? Dermapen/Dermaroller is the less risky thing out of these? And would you do TCA at home ?
Thank you:)

MemberMember
(@naomiskin)

Posted : 11/06/2015 5:25 pm

No one disputes the fact that we have damaged skin, what is being discussed is actually how to correct it.

Don't really want to answer you, but that would mean not helping the girl who made this topic.First of all, I said VISIA/dermatoscopy + other computerised program (I don't remember how it's called and I threw the papers away). If you think people who have had thousands of pacients combined with acne/scars are doing these"irrelevant" things just to get your money, then I don't know what to tell you.Second of all, I said 4 dermatologists, not one. I decided to stick with the last one and she showed me about 500 cases with all the methods they've had in their clinic, not only the best ones, there were cases with 10% improvement and cases with extremely good results, I'd go and say as far as 80% improvement forreally bad cases. Most of the clinics here have all the methods available to correct scars, do you think they only know about Fraxel? And last, you're pulling out those prices from your ass.

Subcision/TCA cross/dermapen/prp = 300 pounds

lol. Subcision = 20-30 euro/cm2, the girl who made the topic has a big surface to correct, that's about 30-35 cm2 on each cheek, so at least 60 cm2. The aenesthesia alone is about 200-300 euro.
Dermapen = 120-150 euro/session , you might need 4-8 sessions.
PRP = 250-300 euro, you will need about 3 sessions.

Even if she goes for PRP or dermapen, she will most likely still need fillers or peelings as well. It's not about how risky or pricey these methods are, it's about if you will have good results and you can't just pick one because someone on the Internet told you. I hope the girl who made this topic is smart enough to realise she has a pretty tough case of scars that needs professional attention if she wants serious improvement.

Thanks, yeah i know at some pointI will need professional attention, and my scars are pretty bad, that's why I came here (for help). I'm not going to do a treatment just because someone on the internet told me, but this is what this forum is for, to get help and recommendations. I was looking for someone who might have similarseverity, or type of scarring as me, and is more experienced in this topic.

The pricy things (like lasers) aredefinitelynot the option for me right now:(. So if the cheapermethods, like dermarolling,(maybe tca) are safe, what do I lose? (Not much money at least).I'm aware there's a pretty big chance of not getting any improvement out of these, and maybe I won't get any out of lasers, or anything,who knows. But it doesn't seem very logical to me to start with lasers, when you can experiment with cheaper and safer methods first, and they MIGHT work.It is really hard to tell on the internet what is real and what isn't, and those before after pictures on the dermatologist's sites are quitequestionable, and what they say is pretty questionable too, I had really bad experience with most of them, so kind of lost my trust.

MemberMember
(@il90)

Posted : 11/06/2015 5:46 pm

No one disputes the fact that we have damaged skin, what is being discussed is actually how to correct it.

Don't really want to answer you, but that would mean not helping the girl who made this topic. First of all, I said VISIA/dermatoscopy + other computerised program (I don't remember how it's called and I threw the papers away). If you think people who have had thousands of pacients combined with acne/scars are doing these "irrelevant" things just to get your money, then I don't know what to tell you. Second of all, I said 4 dermatologists, not one. I decided to stick with the last one and she showed me about 500 cases with all the methods they've had in their clinic, not only the best ones, there were cases with 10% improvement and cases with extremely good results, I'd go and say as far as 80% improvement for really bad cases. Most of the clinics here have all the methods available to correct scars, do you think they only know about Fraxel? And last, you're pulling out those prices from your ass. 

Subcision/TCA cross/dermapen/prp = 300 pounds

lol. Subcision = 20-30 euro/cm2, the girl who made the topic has a big surface to correct, that's about 30-35 cm2 on each cheek, so at least 60 cm2. The aenesthesia alone is about 200-300 euro.
Dermapen = 120-150 euro/session , you might need 4-8 sessions.
PRP = 250-300 euro, you will need about 3 sessions.

Even if she goes for PRP or dermapen, she will most likely still need fillers or peelings as well. It's not about how risky or pricey these methods are, it's about if you will have good results and you can't just pick one because someone on the Internet told you. I hope the girl who made this topic is smart enough to realise she has a pretty tough case of scars that needs professional attention if she wants serious improvement.

That's weird I have the same scars as OP and I pay 300 for prp/subcision/dermastamp/tca cross per session (I had my first one 2 weeks ago), and yes my doctor said I would need a couple spaced 3 months apart but that is totally doable. When you find a doctor that just wants to help it seems that it is not so expensive after all. I wonder why that is. 

They wouldn't do it if it wasn't for the money. It is called capitalism. 

The problem with your reasoning is essentially that you use what these people tell you to back up what these people tell you. Studies (independent) would be more helpful than using the 'my derm says...' In short, your reasoning is flawed. Anyways, this is where I end this discussion, just so you are aware that I just won't look again. I wish you all of luck, and I hope you do well with your treatment and that you aren't a promoter for some laser company. 

First of all, I think there is a difference between 100 percent improvement and with being 100 percent satisfied. You can have a 50 percent improvement and be 100 percent satisfied. I think being satisfied or not depends on your expectations. Speaking for myself, I would be 100 percent satisfied with a 70 percent improvement, because i think this is at the upper end of what is achieveable and because it just doesn't have to be perfect.

Furthermore, i think that it is in part because of the fact that multiple treatment are needed that personal reviews are not representable for the treatment as a whole. You will see a lot of posts saying people are dissapointed, while they have had only one treatment and are therefore not even in a position to give an accurate review of the treatment. 

I also do not believe that anyone who succeeded in getting rid of severe or moderate scarring will share this on the internet. I can imagine that when you get to that point, you truley want to forget that awefull period as fast as you can. 

What also has to be taken into account is the phenomenon called 'tunnel vision': people tend to see only those reviews that fits with what they already do believe and they tend to discard those reviews that converge from their prior beliefs. 

Okay, you would be okay with 70% but you're still around though? Even you who don't even want 100% are drawn to these forums. The idea that I was presenting before was that having scar treatment is not going to be like walking in a straight line. Most will stumble and seek advice from other people before they reach the end of the road. Therefore, we will hear from more people in this case than in a case where you have more success rate straight away. 

I don't really want to argue with you, and I understand these theories very well... But if you do believe that we have 'tunnel vision' with regards to Subcision and dermapen it is also proper that you present studies (independent) to contradict the belief in the first place. You cannot just say oh you have 'tunnel vision' because you believe subcision is superior to laser, you have to actually convince me with proper studies that I am wrong. 

For now there are no comparative studies, which might never be developed considering the money that would be lost if word came out that these simple cheap procedures have the same effect with less risks, so there is no way of knowing.

But the fact is laser is really EXPENSIVE and RISKY, two things you don't want. While subcision and derma roller is very cheap and pretty safe really. This is not 'tunnel vision' it is just making an analytical decision on the evidence that exists today. I won't reject real evidence on this, because it is not a matter of being right, or winning an argument, but my life and my skin which comes before being right about this shit. Trust me I don't care, and if you are right then great because that means lasers WORK and that is better than winning any argument. 

ANYWAYS, all I want for OP though is not having to go through the painful experiences people seem to have had with Fraxel and lasers in general and that she finds a treatment that she will be happy with. 

Thank you il90, your post were really helpful. I've read a lot of bad reviews of lasers and I am to afraid to start with it (fdont have the money either), and starting with more safer and cheaper options seems like a good decision:)

You wrote :Subcision/TCA cross/dermapen/prp. What is prp? And what is the best option to start with? Dermapen/Dermaroller is the less risky thing out of these? And would you do TCA at home ?
Thank you:)

I would not do anything at home because it freaks me out. Find a really good doctor. Prp stands for Platelet-rich plasma, you can google it. My doctor just threw that in there, or maybe I payed 100 for it. I think he gave me subcision and TCA cross free, so I payed dermapen 200 + 100 prp + 5 pounds for the numbing cream. If you are able to go to London you can check out Dr. Chu... You'll be able to travel afterwards but you will look really funny. I have a thread here on my treatment I can tell you in a couple of months if it was worth it after I heal after my second treatment. 

But I would definitely start using dermapen at home because that seems safe enough, make sure you do it only once every 8 weeks. Eat super healthy, gelatin rich broths, less grains etc to give your skin a chance to repair. Lots of vitamin c!!

I have the same scars as you, my pictures doesn't do it justice, so I know exactly how you feel. You are not alone!

MemberMember
(@andrei11)

Posted : 11/07/2015 8:18 am

That's weird I have thesame scars as OP and I pay 300 for prp/subcision/dermastamp/tca cross per session (I had my first one 2 weeks ago), and yes my doctor said I would need a couple spaced 3 months apart but that is totally doable.

yeah, I've seen your thread and you can't compare your scars to hers. so you will have to pay 600 pounds for 2 sessions, that's about 850 euro, 6 (if need be)fraxel sessions (for example)= 6 x 150 euro = 900 euro and I'm convinced you can get better results. make sure to post pictures after you finish your second session, no matter what the results are. but then again, you're already pulling the "my pictures are not that good, the scars are way worse" thing, so yeah. good luck to everyone.

MemberMember
(@arte90)

Posted : 11/07/2015 9:20 am

That's weird I have thesame scars as OP and I pay 300 for prp/subcision/dermastamp/tca cross per session (I had my first one 2 weeks ago), and yes my doctor said I would need a couple spaced 3 months apart but that is totally doable.

yeah, I've seen your thread and you can't compare your scars to hers. so you will have to pay 600 pounds for 2 sessions, that's about 850 euro, 6 (if need be)fraxel sessions (for example)= 6 x 150 euro = 900 euro and I'm convinced you can get better results. make sure to post pictures after you finish your second session, no matter what the results are. but then again, you're already pulling the "my pictures are not that good, the scars are way worse" thing, so yeah. good luck to everyone.

You are now making very specific claims.Where can you find a doctor performing fraxel for 150 euro a treatment? I am assuming that you are talking about fraxel re:store, the least invasive fraxel treatment. But even fraxel re:store typically costs about 800 euros a treatment (that is about 900 dollars or 700 pounds). Fraxel re:pair is a whole different story, and typically costs around 4000 euro's. You also have to keep in mind that prices vary greatly in differentcountries, thus even if you are right and you can get fraxel re:store for 150 euro's a treatment where you live, this does not have to be so where Naomi lives.

MemberMember
(@andrei11)

Posted : 11/07/2015 7:05 pm

You are now making very specific claims.Where can you find a doctor performing fraxel for 150 euro a treatment? I am assuming that you are talking about fraxel re:store, the least invasive fraxel treatment. But even fraxel re:store typically costs about 800 euros a treatment (that is about 900 dollars or 700 pounds). Fraxel re:pair is a whole different story, and typically costs around 4000 euro's. You also have to keep in mind that prices vary greatly in differentcountries, thus even if you are right and you can get fraxel re:store for 150 euro's a treatment where you live, this does not have to be so where Naomi lives.

Definitely, but Naomi lives in Hungary which is very close to Romania, where there are many clinics with lasers/other methods. I get what you're saying, for exampleI've read that a root canal in the USA cancost 500-1000$, here you can get it for as cheap as 100$. Don't know if I'm allowed to postlinks, but I can PM you if you're curious. Don't know about Fraxel re:fine, but you can get re:store for 150e/session and re:pairfor 1200-1400 euro (single treatment procedure). But it's true, you have to be careful, because here in my city I've found clinics (dermatology and stomatology)performing the same methods and charging double or more on every procedure, just because they're located in expensive neighbourhoods. You can also pick other fractional lasers here as well, not necessary Fraxel. Let me know if you want me to PM you some links.

MemberMember
(@katielynn2885)

Posted : 11/08/2015 2:59 am

Hi! I had moderate acne scarring since I was 22, im now 27. Last March I decided to do a chemical peel, I did three and I believe it made my skin worse. I then heard of dermarolling. I was soooo excited and thought to myself, finally! This is going to work. I dermarolled 7 times and initially it looks really good those first few days after, but I believe my scars are worse and more visible :( I regret ever getting anything done to my skin. I look horrible 🙁

MemberMember
(@arte90)

Posted : 11/08/2015 5:08 am

Definitely, but Naomi lives in Hungary which is very close to Romania, where there are many clinics with lasers/other methods. I get what you're saying, for exampleI've read that a root canal in the USA cancost 500-1000$, here you can get it for as cheap as 100$. Don't know if I'm allowed to postlinks, but I can PM you if you're curious. Don't know about Fraxel re:fine, but you can get re:store for 150e/session and re:pairfor 1200-1400 euro (single treatment procedure). But it's true, you have to be careful, because here in my city I've found clinics (dermatology and stomatology)performing the same methods and charging double or more on every procedure, just because they're located in expensive neighbourhoods. You can also pick other fractional lasers here as well, not necessary Fraxel. Let me know if you want me to PM you some links.

Thanks for the elaboration. Now I am just curious: are fraxel treatments for such low prices performed by dermatologists or by nurses? And what is the general quality of those treatments? Do you think it is comparable with treatments performed elsewhere for higher prices?

MemberMember
(@il90)

Posted : 11/08/2015 7:02 am

Re:store doesn't do anything for depressed scars though, so you need to get re:pair which lands you at 1200 at least per session, and you need, what, 6 sessions? 8200 euros?

MemberMember
(@andrei11)

Posted : 11/08/2015 1:14 pm

Thanks for the elaboration. Now I am just curious: are fraxel treatments for such low prices performed by dermatologists or by nurses? And what is the general quality of those treatments? Do you think it is comparable with treatments performed elsewhere for higher prices?

Dermatologists, don't even know if nurses are allowed to do such thing, are they? I've had some co2 laser done a few months ago (not dermatology) and it was done by a doctor, but there were two nurses there as well to help. I think it's the same, the only difference is obviously the experience of the doctor. I know it sounds pretty "cheap", even though it's still pretty expensive, but think about my comparison with stomatology in Romania compared to USA/Italy,Spain etc. Even here, for example, you can get a root canal or anything else, for let's say 100$ and then there's a super expensive clinic, that has advertising in football stadiums and what not, has photos on their site with famous people from the country and automatically you have to pay 200$ or more for the exact same thing you can get at a very good clinic.

Re:store doesn't do anything for depressed scars though, so you need to get re:pair which lands you at 1200 at least per session, and you need, what, 6 sessions? 8200 euros?

If you had actually talked to a dermatologist/clinic about these procedures, instead of just reading online here and there, you would have known that re:pair is a single treatment procedure, just as other brands of fractional/co2 lasers nowadays. 3 of the last 4 dermatologists told me that needing a second session of those is veryrare and you'll get a deal if need be,some discount, but they said the big majority doesn't need a second session, and you'll have to wait6 months to a yearfirst.Obviously it depends on how bad your scars are and how good your skin heals. Again, at most of the clinics here, they present you their cases with every method involed and re:store had not that good/good/very good results from what I've seen with my own eyes. Now, if you think those pictures are photoshopped or whatever, even the cases that didn't have good results imo, then so be it.

MemberMember
(@il90)

Posted : 11/08/2015 2:28 pm

Dermatologists, don't even know if nurses are allowed to do such thing, are they? I've had some co2 laser done a few months ago (not dermatology) and it was done by a doctor, but there were two nurses there as well to help. I think it's the same, the only difference is obviously the experience of the doctor. I know it sounds pretty "cheap", even though it's still pretty expensive, but think about my comparison with stomatology in Romania compared to USA/Italy,Spain etc. Even here, for example, you can get a root canal or anything else, for let's say 100$ and then there's a super expensive clinic, that has advertising in football stadiums and what not, has photos on their site with famous people from the country and automatically you have to pay 200$ or more for the exact same thing you can get at a very good clinic.

If you had actually talked to a dermatologist/clinic about these procedures, instead of just reading online here and there, you would have known that re:pair is a single treatment procedure, just as other brands of fractional/co2 lasers nowadays. 3 of the last 4 dermatologists told me that needing a second session of those is veryrare and you'll get a deal if need be,some discount, but they said the big majority doesn't need a second session, and you'll have to wait6 months to a yearfirst.Obviously it depends on how bad your scars are and how good your skin heals. Again, at most of the clinics here, they present you their cases with every method involed and re:store had not that good/good/very good results from what I've seen with my own eyes. Now, if you think those pictures are photoshopped or whatever, even the cases that didn't have good results imo, then so be it.

I don't know if re:store penetrates enough to do any good, and re:pair is still too expensive and with too many horror stories around here. My dermatologist said there were more risks involved with lasers, and the downtime would be longer as well. He said up to 6 months with re:pair.

The thing is, there is a lot of money behind lasers. Therefore, there will be some great marketing behind them, in the form of word of mouth, or like this, through forums. They will have good pictures etc. However, something like Subcision which doesn't generate this kind of cash will have a really low profile but in the end will probably benefit more. In my experience of course. I might be wrong. I'm just going with my instincts.

MemberMember
(@andrei11)

Posted : 11/08/2015 8:06 pm

Either your dermatologist didn't know what he was talking about, or you got it wrong. The down-time means the amount of time that needs to pass until your skin doesn't look burned, swollen, red etc., that's 10-14 days at the maximum energy level settings (kj) for re:pair, for re:store it's less obviously. After the 14 days from re:pair, you might still notice redness for a week or so, but it's easily coverable. Your skin will continue to regenerate and produce collagen and you will see the best results after 3-6 months, not immediatly, that's what your derm was probably saying.

MemberMember
(@il90)

Posted : 11/09/2015 8:03 am

Either your dermatologist didn't know what he was talking about, or you got it wrong. The down-time means the amount of time that needs to pass until your skin doesn't look burned, swollen, red etc., that's 10-14 days at the maximum energy level settings (kj) for re:pair, for re:store it's less obviously. After the 14 days from re:pair, you might still notice redness for a week or so, but it's easily coverable. Your skin will continue to regenerate and produce collagen and you will see the best results after 3-6 months, not immediatly, that's what your derm was probably saying.

You are right in some ways though, I'll give you that. There is a lot of misconceptions circulating on these forums, and to be honest, there is no way that I can know if what all of these people are saying is true (with regards to lasers and anything else). Most of what is being told is probably not true and thus it would be better to listen to the professionals. However, I have actually had professionals reinforce the theory that lasers might not be the most efficient procedure for acne scars.

My concerns are...

1. The skin will be in healing phase for up 8 weeks, where it will red/pink. Sun sensitivity may last for up to 6 weeks. 2. There is the risk of infection (even with fraxel that should be the safest laser procedure out there) 3.They still don't know what the long-term risks are with lasers (even fraxel) and won't know for some time. Some that have gone through with this procedure have come out saying that their skin looks 'odd' and that the texture of their skin is changing for the worse ('orange peel' kind of texture as well as dehydrated dry flakingskin). 4. I don't know what kind of prices you have where you live but 1 session with Re:store in England will start at 1500 pounds for three areas of the skin. Re:pair will certainly cost a whole lot more. 5. I have seen several cases where it has failed to help correct scarring whatsoever. Why go for this when you can go for cheaper, but also efficient, treatments? 6. There is a lot of money behind lasers, because, frankly,they make make a lot on patients who buy these treatments while Subcision virtually costs nothing.So, how do you know what is real and what is just good marketing strategies?

I don't know if you have seen this: (found on RealSelf)

"The real story on acne scars

Here's the deal withacnescars: no laser is really going to do all that much for them. Sorry, butacne scarsare very difficult to treat and you are never going to go back to where you want with any laser alone. Even with the best of treatments, you are going to have about 50% improvement and that is withfillerssuch asrestylaneandperlane, which will be doing the heavy lifting.

Prior to havingFraxel, Cool Touch,Fraxel Re:pairand every other laser that has promised to improve acnescarsbut didn't, I performed full faceCO2 laserson patients with acne scars. The results were not all that impressive, despite the fact that patients went through 2 weeks of sheer torture during the recovery phase. That, on top of the price in the $4000 range that made it *seem* like something ought to have happened. Due to this fact, I stopped doing the older, CO2 laser and haven't missed it one bit.

Now, unfortunately, we have a whole new generation of doctors and quasicosmetic surgeons(family practitioners, nurse practitioners, Ob Gyns, etc) who have now purchased these lasers for their medispas and are trying to generate some cash, along with laser companies that are desperate to sell their machines. So, the old concept of treating acne scars with a laser such as Fraxel is once again being trotted out and desperate patients are being duped once more.

The truth is that it does precious little for acne scars and typically not enough to make someone spend the money and recovery time to do the treatment. What I tell patients is that if the money is something that you care about and it is anywhere near a stretch to do the procedure, you don't want to do it for acne scars.Wrinklesare a whole different situation because it does work for these. Acne scars not so much. And the recovery time, if the scars are done correctly with it, is going to be about a week or two along with major downtime and oozing. So, think twice before doing this procedure, despite what the laser companies and many doctors are telling you!

Omaha Dermatologist"

- Also, I think we're done arguing at this point. OP will do whatever she wants.

MemberMember
(@andrei11)

Posted : 11/09/2015 8:56 am

I feel like this discussion is repeating itself, because either you have a reading comprehension problem, or just ignoring fact presented to me by professionals from their experience, after hundreds and hundres of pacients. I've also had dermatologists reinforce the theory that Accutane won't help and diet will and 8 months later, I've found out they were extremely wrong in my case. You are also very biased and exaggerate numbers and facts. Of course there are some risks involved and some people didn't get good results, but that's a small percentage of people, just like with Accutane and permanent side effects. Those bad stories will have a much, much bigger impact than the successful ones. I've also seen cases where re:pair didn't do much, but I've seen a whole lot more where re:pair worked great. Same thing can be told about dermapen/prp/peelings or whatever. You are obviously biased and scared of the potential risks, so you chose to believe what makes you comfortable. Not everybody has an easy case of scarring, which might be fixed with cheaper and safer alternatives and even then, it's totally person dependable. People with tough cases of scarring should discuss with professionals, in order to decide what's best for them, not what worked or not on different people. So good luck to everyone, make sure to post photos when you're done with your sessions.

MemberMember
(@il90)

Posted : 11/09/2015 11:16 am

I feel like this discussion is repeating itself, because either you have a reading comprehension problem, or just ignoring fact presented to me by professionals from their experience, after hundreds and hundres of pacients. I've also had dermatologists reinforce the theory that Accutane won't help and diet will and 8 months later, I've found out they were extremely wrong in my case. You are also very biased and exaggerate numbers and facts. Of course there are some risks involved and some people didn't get good results, but that's a small percentage of people, just like with Accutane and permanent side effects. Those bad stories will have a much, much bigger impact than the successful ones. I've also seen cases where re:pair didn't do much, but I've seen a whole lot more where re:pair worked great. Same thing can be told about dermapen/prp/peelings or whatever. You are obviously biased and scared of the potential risks, so you chose to believe what makes you comfortable. Not everybody has an easy case of scarring, which might be fixed with cheaper and safer alternatives and even then, it's totally person dependable. People with tough cases of scarring should discuss with professionals, in order to decide what's best for them, not what worked or not on different people. So good luck to everyone, make sure to post photos when you're done with your sessions.

I feel like this goes both ways. I keep repeating that I did not 'read some stories' and decided what I should do. I actually went to a professional. Just like you. Yet, you sit there and preach that your way is the only way. The last post I wrote was to agree that both will disagree with this you insult me by telling me that I have a 'comprehension' problem. I don't even know why I bother with people like you. You haven't listened to a thing that I have saidand never once have you actually argued backanythingbut "my dermatologist says" and she/he is the professional. Never mind that there are other professionals out there who disagree. Obviously, your professional must be 'the one,' and everything else is just bad noise.

I also wonder why you bother... You don't seem like the type that would care about anyone else to be honest, yet you sit here and continuously fight me about what OP should do regardless of the fact that she might just try these safe, cheaper, alternatives first before deciding on such an expensive procedure as laser. Why do you care so much about what others think of lasers? You haven't even had one done yet.

MemberMember
(@holdingontohope)

Posted : 11/09/2015 12:53 pm

My scars are very similar to yours.

Best advice is to stop new acne from forming so that more scars aren't created.

I have the same experience, when I wake up my skin looks 10x than at night.

I will never do lasers, they are too risky for me. Try dermarolling/suction.

MemberMember
(@andrei11)

Posted : 11/09/2015 2:57 pm

@il90, not only you have a reading comprehension problem, but you also seem very stupid, so I'll stop bothering and hopefully Naomi got it from the get-go.