Notifications
Clear all

Subcision

MemberMember
(@kazalea)

Posted : 07/14/2015 7:27 pm

I'm 23 and finished Accutane in May so I'm planning on starting scar treatment in November (per the 6 month waiting period for invasive procedures).

I saw Dr Morganroth at California Skin Institute today for a consultation. He said all of my scars were rolling and ideal for Subcision. He told me he charges $1500 for one session and patients tend to have 1-3 sessions depending on their satisfaction. He suggested spacing them a month apart, and I plan on starting with 2 sessions, one in November then in December. He said every patient who he has done subcision on sees improvement. He said each session yields about 25% improvement. He said downtime is very minimal and bruising can be covered with makeup.

He did not even suggest lasers which is refreshing bc that's what every dermatologist does. He said most dermatologists are not experts in acne scarring, and he said lasers can only help post subcision, but they do nothing to elevate a scar.

He also said temporary fillers were an option, but I told him I wanted to do subcision so we didn't talk much about it, other than the fact that he said the "doughnut effect" people claim to have is likely due to the doctors inexperience with fillers in acne scars.

So my question is- anyone have experience with dr Morganroth for subcision or just subcision in general? Are you happy with your subcision? How many treatments did you do? Any advice or helpful tips?

MemberMember
(@celaya)

Posted : 07/14/2015 8:24 pm

$1,500 per treatment for Subcision is on the VERY VERY HIGH END of what most Doctors charge for Subcision and I personally think he's way overcharging you. Usually the ones who do subcision treatment charge somewhere between $300 to $500+ or a bit more per treatment depending how many scars are getting done.

You should look at Robertoo's thread on here of doing the suction method at home once you get your first treatment done of Subcision with your Doctor. You should start on day 3 on suction method after treatment of subcision and then every day for the next 2 weeks. The reason for this is once the swelling goes down little by little the scars will start to reappear from it, but with the suction method the scars won't be as deep & you keep the swelling on a stand still so the scars don't come back as quick. Also keep in mind with Scarring you have tissue loss on the inside do to it. Doing the suction method will help with the surface appearance and you won't need as much filler on the inside in the future to lift them up as much or pay more for getting it done.

If you go on google homepage and do a keyword search look for " Yelp California Skin Institute Dr. Morganroth " and you'll see plenty of reviews on Yelp on regards to this Doctor to get more information.

MemberMember
(@robertitoo)

Posted : 07/14/2015 8:39 pm

Your doctor is right with the course of action he proposed. Your type of scarring is really only improved with the subcision technique.That said the price he suggested is on the higher side, for comparison I paid $300 for mine.. If money is no problem you can proceed because it seems like he knows what he's doing if it is then I suggest you hunt down another physician that performs subcision. If it's the latter, you can check out Dr. Rullan in Chula Vista, CA. He performed mine.

Check out my blog -

My next subcision is scheduled for December of this year!

MemberMember
(@blahblahblahblahz)

Posted : 07/15/2015 12:14 am

Well I'm not surprised he's charging those kinds of prices given you are in the Bay Area. That said, that is very steep for a pretty straightforward procedure. The good news is that he's honest and shooting straight with you. Lasers do not lift deep indentations all that much, if at all. They're really only good at softening / blunting the sharp edges of scars and for blending everything together at the end.

MemberMember
(@kazalea)

Posted : 07/17/2015 10:46 pm

Yes I know it's a LOT of money. In my area it doesn't seem like under 1,000 is an option, and I don't have a car so I have to go somewhere close to home. Trust me, money is an issue because I am a teacher so it's not like I'm rolling in the dough but this guy is like cream of the crop as far as facial surgeons are concerned. I have read about the suction method and plan on doing it as you suggested. I have also Dermarolled pre accutane so I will do that starting in November as well. So it sounds like those of you who have had subcision are happy with the results! I'm having a hard time understanding what kind of results I'll obtain with 2 sessions of Subcision. I'll attach pictures of my scarring to help give a visual to anyone with any insight or advice for me.

The first picture is from November 2014. The 2nd picture is from June 2015 after accutane and having done a few rounds of dermarolling. The pictures are in different lighting so that makes a difference but that's my worst cheek and basically what I'm working with.

post-475879-0-97573500-1437191069.jpg

MemberMember
(@michiganmom)

Posted : 02/26/2016 9:08 pm

Any luck with subcision, hope you found success!

MemberMember
(@d00little)

Posted : 02/26/2016 10:29 pm

1 hour ago, michiganmom said:

Any luck with subcision, hope you found success!

She has another thread with her results (which were great BTW).

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/topic/354675-post-subcision-results-wpicture/

MemberMember
(@michiganmom)

Posted : 02/27/2016 8:31 am

Thank you! I did find her results and they were great! I am pursuing this along with fraxel repair. I will keep all posted.

jjp007 liked