Notifications
Clear all

Lactic Acid Making Scars Darker?

MemberMember
(@jeremylin247)

Posted : 06/06/2015 8:47 am

Hey guys I tried lactic acid 2 times for the past 2 weeks and my scars have been getting darker and darker. Just want to say I am Asian and have ethnic skin. I researched this and people said this is an effect of your hyper pigmentation coming to the surface of your skin. Some other people said this is not supposed to happen and should stop or I'm doing something wrong. I do want to add that when I exfoliated my skin with sugar after that's when I noticed my scars being darker (don't know if it's just me actually looking at my skin or the exfoliation). What do you guys this of this? I know lots of people here have done this and have much more knowledge about this than me. All my ethic and non ethnic people help me! If lactic acid doesn't work what do you guys recommend?

MemberMember
(@dunedain)

Posted : 06/06/2015 12:57 pm

I am also Asian and have used 40% lactic acid for a few months and I don't think I ever noticed any darkening of the marks. For the first couple of days after the peel, my skin seemed more red and maybe the marks also looked more reddish? But about a week after it lightens up, it never stays dark. I also never did any additional exfoliating as the lactic acid on its own was enough.

If you're not happy with lactic acid, you can try 25% mandelic acid which is what I'm using now. I personally find it more effective and feels less irritating on my skin than lactic acid.