Notifications
Clear all

What Questions Should I Ask Dr On Scars?

MemberMember
(@51withskin)

Posted : 05/31/2014 12:46 pm

I am having a free consolation with a plastic surgeon about my acne scars.

What questions should I ask him?

MemberMember
(@blahblahblahblahz)

Posted : 05/31/2014 6:22 pm

1. What are my scar types?

2. What's the protocol you will recommend?

3. If you are using lasers, what brand is it? Total FX, Fraxel REPAIR, Mixto, etc....

4. How much will this cost?

5. How much improvement can I realistically achieve?

You should probably post a picture here so the people on this board can give you advice. Doctors are not always objective because they are a business.

MemberMember
(@51withskin)

Posted : 05/31/2014 7:05 pm

1. What are my scar types?

2. What's the protocol you will recommend?

3. If you are using lasers, what brand is it? Total FX, Fraxel REPAIR, Mixto, etc....

4. How much will this cost?

5. How much improvement can I realistically achieve?

You should probably post a picture here so the people on this board can give you advise. Doctors are not always objective because they are a business.

Thank you. I heard many bad things about lasers. I have rolling scars.

MemberMember
(@celaya)

Posted : 06/01/2014 12:37 am

Also asked to see before and after pictures from his past client base. (Including Pictures Months after having any procedure done not just recently after pics). If they can't provide any of this, I would say moved on.

Also asked if you can get phone#'s to other clients of his who also got acne scar treatments done. See if they can help answer some of your questions concerns before you fork any $$$ going in blind on faith.

MemberMember
(@51withskin)

Posted : 06/01/2014 8:41 pm

Also asked to see before and after pictures from his past client base. (Including Pictures Months after having any procedure done not just recently after pics). If they can't provide any of this, I would say moved on.

Also asked if you can get phone#'s to other clients of his who also got acne scar treatments done. See if they can help answer some of your questions concerns before you fork any $$$ going in blind on faith.

Do doctors let you call their post clients?

Here is a photo of mine. It doesn't show enough.

MemberMember
(@robertitoo)

Posted : 06/01/2014 8:54 pm

they should...if they get all defensive and smirky then that's a bad sign

MemberMember
(@tokyogirl)

Posted : 06/01/2014 10:30 pm

I don't know about you but I would be really upset if my doctor released my phone number to potential patients. I don't think it is realistic to expect that. I know I also refused to allow my doctor to use my photos. I think Blahblah gave you good questions. Make sure you have done your research on procedures before you go in.

MemberMember
(@blahblahblahblahz)

Posted : 06/01/2014 11:17 pm

The only time I think that would ever happen, is if the patient says explicitly that they will vouch for the surgeon. I've heard of some plastic surgery patients who are okay with this, perhaps because they got a price break on their surgery in exchange for their endorsement of the surgeon. In general though, this would be against HIPAA laws, which might explain why it's so hard to find patient photos online for some treatments.

I think Celaya did make a very good point though that you need to ask for pictures months down the line AND in consistent lighting. One very common trick is to take the before shot in severe overhead lighting to accentuate the scars, then the after photo is in soft lighting or taken with a head-on flash, which will make everyone's skin look perfect. Don't fall for those tricks. Some of it is pretty shameless.

This was a very good question to ask, because many people are just overwhelmed by the amount of information out there. Most of us are also conditioned to believe doctors, but many doctors are only out to make a dollar. You have to come prepared or risk being taken advantage of. With shady doctors, at the least you will get no results and lose money, at the worst they can damage your skin.

MemberMember
(@51withskin)

Posted : 06/02/2014 8:54 am

Can someone give me a quick list of acne scar correction procedures before I go in tomorrow?

MemberMember
(@blahblahblahblahz)

Posted : 06/02/2014 5:01 pm

Surgical Tecniques

1. punch excisions

2. punch grafts

3. subcisions - best for rolling scars

Resuracing

1. co2 Lasers

2. Dermabrasion

Fillers

1. Temporary like restylane, perleine

2. Semi_Permanent like Voluma

3. Permanent like siliclne and artfelll (has a considerable degree of risk)

MemberMember
(@51withskin)

Posted : 06/02/2014 7:19 pm

Thank you blahblah.

I go for my consultation tomorrow. I will let you know how it goes.

MemberMember
(@51withskin)

Posted : 06/03/2014 12:04 pm

I am here ready to go in wish me luck.

MemberMember
(@robertitoo)

Posted : 06/07/2014 8:32 am

Good luck ^. How did it go?

MemberMember
(@51withskin)

Posted : 06/26/2014 9:23 am

I saw Dr. Rappaport about my acne scars a few weeks ago. He is very professional and very courteous! AND HIS SKIN LOOKS AWESOME! Whatever he is doing is working really well. He looked at my scars and asked me if I had any work done in the past. I did not.

He said my scars what were called "rolling scars" and the easiest once to work on. He said I could expect anywhere from 10% to 60% improvement. He said he would do subscissions in the scars followed by some laser work. The office nurse said I would be getting a proposal in the mail but I have yet to get anything.

I showed him a dilated pore on the side of my nose and he noticed one on the tip of my nose :( He said he would try to repair that with needling.

I really want to correct these scars because they have bothered me for 25 years!! They are not many.