Notifications
Clear all

Nhs Treatment For Scars

MemberMember
(@astott000)

Posted : 05/25/2014 9:40 pm

I have had acne for around 3-4 years and now it has all cleared up, I am left with some acne scars on my face, the scars that are holes etc, not just red spots that are left.

I am depressed with the scars and it is effecting my confidence, I have been on depression tablets recently which I believe my scars are a little of the cause from this.

My question is, do you think my doctor could transfer me to a dermatologist and get something treating for me scars? eg. laser treatment, skin peel etc.

Would this also be free due to me being depressed about this? (I am unemployed and get free NHS treatment).

MemberMember
(@astott000)

Posted : 05/27/2014 8:37 pm

bump (i'm from the UK too)

MemberMember
(@poppyw)

Posted : 05/28/2014 12:25 am

I have had acne for around 3-4 years and now it has all cleared up, I am left with some acne scars on my face, the scars that are holes etc, not just red spots that are left.

I am depressed with the scars and it is effecting my confidence, I have been on depression tablets recently which I believe my scars are a little of the cause from this.

My question is, do you think my doctor could transfer me to a dermatologist and get something treating for me scars? eg. laser treatment, skin peel etc.

Would this also be free due to me being depressed about this? (I am unemployed and get free NHS treatment).

I think I've read from this forum there's one girl that has insurance cover up her treatments because they classified her scarring as severe, maybe you can try to contact your insurance about this.

Have you tried to talk with your doctor regarding this? I think he could help you out.

Good luck!

MemberMember
(@astott000)

Posted : 05/28/2014 3:10 pm

I am going to book an appointment at the doctors, so i'll see what they can help me with. I am hoping they will transfer me to a dermatologist and look into some treatment, but it will obviously have to be free with me being unemployed.

MemberMember
(@jayjay786)

Posted : 05/28/2014 4:45 pm

I ask my doctor to refer me to hammersmith hospital on the nhs - with dr Teixeira - worth telling your doctor your finding your scars a struggle and they should send you. Try getting referred to dr chu though.

MemberMember
(@astott000)

Posted : 05/28/2014 11:44 pm

Yes, I will be telling my doctor my scars are causing me depression.

So lets say they are not going to treat my scars free, what exactly can a dermatologist do to help me with my scars? Eg. do they provide any free medication, creams, gels etc that may reduce the scars.

MemberMember
(@astott000)

Posted : 05/29/2014 7:11 pm

bump?

MemberMember
(@poppyw)

Posted : 05/29/2014 10:21 pm

bump?

bump?

I heard a lot of people in this forum talked about Dr. Chu, try to look at this link :

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/topic/265804-dr-chu-contact-private-nhs/

Just a thought, maybe you wanna try to PM them for more details regarding this matter, they will be the right person to share with you based on their own experiences.

Sorry to say but topical won't help much with scars, even though it help, it will be little to zero improvement, unless it's really shallow. Some oral medication will help to boost collagen production, this is play important role in healing process for any acne scar revision, since people tend to get scar because they lack of collagen and poor healing ability.

I don't really recommend you to perform self treatment at home, seek for professional help, cause you'll risk to make it worse than before, however, if you're willing to take a risk, you can try to find information about self needling, TCA cross and dermarolling in this forum. Some people had a great improvement by performed self treatment. There will be no guarantee in life but if you depressed over your acne scar, don't ever lose hope, you can improve your scar but it needs time and patience.