Notifications
Clear all

Dermapen - What's The Consensus?

MemberMember
(@blahblahblahblahz)

Posted : 03/25/2014 11:50 pm

What's the consensus on dermapen? I've read some discouraging reviews on realself, but I've also heard glowing reviews from others. In particular, I know a nurse who works in the aesthetic industry and says that it is effective on scars. She's personally not making any money by recommending it to me, so I think her opinion is sincere.

I'm thinking about buying one of those knock-off devices made in Asia, since the technology seems pretty straight forward. I mean, it's just a handpiece with a piston that punctures the skin. Am I missing something?

Anyone want to weigh in on their experience specifically with automatic microneedling devices (not rollers) such as dermapen or competing devices? Any opinions on the knock off versions? I have yet to find any real photographic evidence of dermapen results on acne scars, and the ones I do see do not provide any context (when the "after" pictures were taken after several treatments).

MemberMember
(@skullkid87)

Posted : 03/26/2014 1:04 am

no need for another one of these topics, you can use google to find everything you need with multiple topics

here you go

https://www.google.com/search?q=dermaroller+results+site:www.acne.org&espv=210&es_sm=93

MemberMember
(@blahblahblahblahz)

Posted : 03/26/2014 5:19 am

Yeah those results are all dermaroller related. That's kinda why I asked about dermapen and other automatic microneedling devices. I get that the mechanism is similar, but really interested in opinions about the motor driven ones.

MemberMember
(@cj13)

Posted : 03/26/2014 8:01 pm

I just had my third dermapen treatment last Friday. After my first two treatments (the second was 4 weeks after the first, and the third was 6 weeks after that), once the microswelling goes away after about 2 weeks, I have not really been able to see a difference in my scarring although my overall skin tone seems better. Since I've heard with similar treatments you may not see long-term results until after 3 treatments (see Quirky Fox's write up on Dermaroller), I'm going to be patient. I figure if I don't see a significant improvement after 4 or 5 I may throw in the towel. I have moderate, fairly shallow but extensive rolling scars on my cheeks, jawline, and temples; the doctor and aesthetician (who's actually performing the treatment) say that I'm a good candidate for the treatment, so I'm hopeful that I'll see results soon, but I'm also trying to be realistic and accept that it may not do much.

MemberMember
(@robertitoo)

Posted : 03/26/2014 9:46 pm

dermapen isbasically a automatic dermastamper

MemberMember
(@binga)

Posted : 03/27/2014 12:24 am

Its not about the dermapen but more about the topicals they use with it. Some doctors use PRP and stem cells which gives good results.