Notifications
Clear all

Is This A Scar And How Can It Be Treated?

MemberMember
(@alaskasleeps)

Posted : 08/10/2013 3:12 am

About 6-8 months ago I became concerned with an area on the left side of my face. It appeared to me to be a bit scarlike/depressed. I went to the dermatologist, explained the problem, and all she basically did was prescribe me with Retin A Micro .04%, saying it would smooth out. It's like she didn't even see it when I clearly pointed it out. Well... I've used Retina A Micro for about 8 months now and I haven't seen much improvement at all in the area. Acne free, yes for the most part. The occasional pimple now and then but the scarlike/depressed area still remains. I've recently been using Aloe Vera gel on the area twice a day, running/exercising, drinking lots of water, and eating a very healthy diet of foods that contain Vitamin E, C, A, etc. Spinach, sunflower seeds, etc. in hopes that area will fill in naturally with new collagen. I'm hoping to avoid any type of surgery. I would like for this area to heal the natural way.

What puzzles me is the right side of my face is perfectly fine. No problems whatsoever. I don't really understand the cause of the depression/lack of collagen on the left side. I never really had anything like severe acne or even acne in the area from what I recall. Maybe a bit of initial dryness but that's about all I can recall. It's quite frustrating :/ I'm going to a new, higher rated dermatologist in about two weeks, but before then I'd like to get some feedback if possible. Perhaps someone can tell me 1) if this actually a scar or not and 2) if it is how can I treat it? Again, I'd like to avoid any surgery. I'm young, only 22.

I've listed what I use on a daily basis below as well as two pictures of the area. I doubt it, but could any of these medications be counterproductive in healing the area?

Morning

-Cerave Hydrating Cleanser

-Aczone

-Aloe Vera 100% gel

-Cerave Moisturizing Cream

Night

-Cerave Hydrating Cleanser

-Retin a Micro .04%

-Aczone

-Aloe Vera 100% gel

-Cerave Moisturizing Cream

Hair Skin and Nails Pills (x3)

MemberMember
(@austra)

Posted : 08/10/2013 4:22 am

It looks like a shallow rolling scar. I have a couple scars like that. I'm not entirely sure what caused mine either, but probably old cysts and I just didn't realize the scarring at the time. I know it bothers you just like mine bother me, but trust me, no one else is going to notice that. I don't think it's worth other treatments than Retin-A. Maybe dermarolling could help, but even that is a bit risky in case your healing in general is poor. Ideally subcision is best for rolling scars, but it doesn't seem very suitable for very shallow scars from what I've read. Fractional CO2 would probably be effective too, but that's absolutely not worth the risk in your case.

MemberMember
(@alaskasleeps)

Posted : 08/10/2013 12:26 pm

It looks like a shallow rolling scar. I have a couple scars like that. I'm not entirely sure what caused mine either, but probably old cysts and I just didn't realize the scarring at the time. I know it bothers you just like mine bother me, but trust me, no one else is going to notice that. I don't think it's worth other treatments than Retin-A. Maybe dermarolling could help, but even that is a bit risky in case your healing in general is poor. Ideally subcision is best for rolling scars, but it doesn't seem very suitable for very shallow scars from what I've read. Fractional CO2 would probably be effective too, but that's absolutely not worth the risk in your case.

Are you sure? When certain lighting hits it, it seems to appear quite noticeable to me. Do you think Retin A is helping in this case? If so how? And what else can I do to improve this scar on my own? Diet? Washcloth exfoliation? Please help.

MemberMember
(@alaskasleeps)

Posted : 08/10/2013 5:59 pm

Anyone else?

MemberMember
(@alaskasleeps)

Posted : 08/11/2013 11:37 pm

Do you think Retin-A will help fill in the collagen over time? If so how long?

MemberMember
(@aghhne)

Posted : 08/12/2013 8:09 am

If i were you, i would try dermaSTAMP not dermaroller. Stamps have less risk and more potential. Since your scar IS shallow i would start with a 1mm dermastamp. Keep stamping ONCE every month! Remember LESS IS MORE. Then, if after 10 months you have not seen an improvement, up the size to a 1.5mm dermaSTAMP.

MemberMember
(@alaskasleeps)

Posted : 08/12/2013 5:12 pm

If i were you, i would try dermaSTAMP not dermaroller. Stamps have less risk and more potential. Since your scar IS shallow i would start with a 1mm dermastamp. Keep stamping ONCE every month! Remember LESS IS MORE. Then, if after 10 months you have not seen an improvement, up the size to a 1.5mm dermaSTAMP.

This seems like it might be a viable option. What is the cost involved? I was hoping to fix this naturally, with exfolating, Retin A Micro, good diet. But do you think I'd see better results going down this route?

MemberMember
(@aghhne)

Posted : 08/12/2013 5:44 pm

This seems like it might be a viable option. What is the cost involved? I was hoping to fix this naturally, with exfolating, Retin A Micro, good diet. But do you think I'd see better results going down this route?

Honestly, i think retin a could eliminate ONLY the shallow scars. "COULD" and even then it will take years. Now with dermastamping though, you have a higer CHANCE, NOt GUARANTEE of fixing your scars. If you research about it, there are clinical studies done about dermarolling and stamping. One study i read had a conclusion that 2/3 of people had an improvement. Be careful though cause there are very rare cases that it causes additional scarring.

I doubt you will have additional scarring if you start slowly and if you are young, healthy balanced diet, proper use of the dermastamp, and not overusing or not abusing it. So in other words, it is generally pretty safe. Just do it properly and less is more! Go to owndoc.com, they have instructions on how to do it.

You MUST research and study about it. This isnt an option. Seriously. Sooooooo many people complain how theyve messed their skin up and blame others but the problem was, they were too hasty, too aggresive, too impatient, not doing it right, etc. Think of it as an exam. Actually it is much more important than an exam. You have been warned.

Good luck mate! Hope it goes well for you.

MemberMember
(@alaskasleeps)

Posted : 08/12/2013 8:28 pm

Honestly, i think retin a could eliminate ONLY the shallow scars. "COULD" and even then it will take years. Now with dermastamping though, you have a higer CHANCE, NOt GUARANTEE of fixing your scars. If you research about it, there are clinical studies done about dermarolling and stamping. One study i read had a conclusion that 2/3 of people had an improvement. Be careful though cause there are very rare cases that it causes additional scarring.

I doubt you will have additional scarring if you start slowly and if you are young, healthy balanced diet, proper use of the dermastamp, and not overusing or not abusing it. So in other words, it is generally pretty safe. Just do it properly and less is more! Go to owndoc.com, they have instructions on how to do it.

You MUST research and study about it. This isnt an option. Seriously. Sooooooo many people complain how theyve messed their skin up and blame others but the problem was, they were too hasty, too aggresive, too impatient, not doing it right, etc. Think of it as an exam. Actually it is much more important than an exam. You have been warned.

Good luck mate! Hope it goes well for you.

Hmmm... seems a bit risky. I have also heard a lot of negative things about dermarolling as well. Not too sure about derma stamp though. I will definitely ask my derm when I see him in two weeks. If he sees this as a viable option maybe I can go see him once a month to do this procedure for me. I would feel a lot more safe and secure doing it this way vs. myself, as he is a professional. And a very highly rated one at that.

MemberMember
(@alaskasleeps)

Posted : 08/13/2013 2:59 pm

Will washcloth exfoliation like 1-2 times a week help to fill in the collagen?

MemberMember
(@jackthelad)

Posted : 08/14/2013 1:25 pm

would you not be better off using 8% 10% glycolic acid? maybe try a face wash with it in, such as aqua glycolic ? I've ordered some myself

i think slowly but surely is the key, you want to end up with level surfaced skin.

I have marks like yours which i am not proud of because of picking, and damaged caused from that habit - which ive stopped now..

but yeah i hope they heal over time (for me and you) as I know as we age things get worse :'(

MemberMember
(@alaskasleeps)

Posted : 08/24/2013 1:11 am

would you not be better off using 8% 10% glycolic acid? maybe try a face wash with it in, such as aqua glycolic ? I've ordered some myself

i think slowly but surely is the key, you want to end up with level surfaced skin.

I have marks like yours which i am not proud of because of picking, and damaged caused from that habit - which ive stopped now..

but yeah i hope they heal over time (for me and you) as I know as we age things get worse :'(

No I don't think so. I've heard using glycolic acid with Retin A is a no no.

MemberMember
(@jackthelad)

Posted : 08/24/2013 4:49 am

meaning one or the other... obv not both at same time (:

MemberMember
(@alaskasleeps)

Posted : 08/24/2013 2:10 pm

meaning one or the other... obv not both at same time (:

I think it's too much of a risk to stop using Retin A altogether. It truly has done wonders for my skin :)

MemberMember
(@alaskasleeps)

Posted : 08/26/2013 3:12 am

#Update

Have not seen much improvement. Area appears to be pretty much the same. I think Retin A might have made it look a little less noticeable but overall the depression is still there. I thought that switching to a diet with a heavy intake of Vitamin C, E, etc. along with exercise would help to fill in the collagen but I'm not so sure anymore. I'm a bit depressed because of this. Meeting with my derm in two days and cannot wait. I wanted to do it the natural way but I don't know if that's such a realistic option anymore, given the lack of improvement. I'm defintely going to ask about subcision when I see him. I hope that he does this procedure as he is a surgeon and has a very high patient satisfaction rating. Just can't wait to fix this thing and move on with my life finally... Will keep you updated. Thanks for the support.

MemberMember
(@jackthelad)

Posted : 08/28/2013 5:34 pm

#Update

Have not seen much improvement. Area appears to be pretty much the same. I think Retin A might have made it look a little less noticeable but overall the depression is still there. I thought that switching to a diet with a heavy intake of Vitamin C, E, etc. along with exercise would help to fill in the collagen but I'm not so sure anymore. I'm a bit depressed because of this. Meeting with my derm in two days and cannot wait. I wanted to do it the natural way but I don't know if that's such a realistic option anymore, given the lack of improvement. I'm defintely going to ask about subcision when I see him. I hope that he does this procedure as he is a surgeon and has a very high patient satisfaction rating. Just can't wait to fix this thing and move on with my life finally... Will keep you updated. Thanks for the support.

hey man, sorry that its not been working out for you with what you have tried.. i know that feeling all too well.

Let me know what the derm says dude.

peace

MemberMember
(@stephzoars)

Posted : 08/28/2013 6:49 pm

Where do you find a dermastamp??

Amazon or something?

Also, do you do this and if so do you apply a topical analgesic? I know you're supposed to clean it after every time with alcohol, but what are the steps for BEFOREhand?

MemberMember
(@alaskasleeps)

Posted : 08/29/2013 12:00 am

#Update

So after having to wait nearly a month to see my new derm, I finally saw him today. After being very specific and pointing out the area that was bothering me he said that he didn't really see it as an issue. In other words he didn't really see it. He described it as being quote, 'fat loss' and said the only solution if it really bothers me, which it does tremendously, would be to add temporary filler. I don't really like that idea, as I am looking for a more permanent improvement, so I said no. I asked him about subcision and he did not entertain the idea at all, saying it would not help in my situation. So that was pretty much it. Another derm, another disappointment. Needless to say, I am pretty depressed right now. I told myself to not get my hopes up but I guess I naively did. :( My only option now I guess is to just continue what I've been doing, day/night treatment, diet, exercise, in hopes that it will just magically improve over time. FML.

MemberMember
(@alaskasleeps)

Posted : 08/29/2013 4:40 pm

#Update

hey man, sorry that its not been working out for you with what you have tried.. i know that feeling all too well.

peace

Did not go very well. New post above ^

MemberMember
(@jackthelad)

Posted : 08/29/2013 5:51 pm

#Update

peace

Did not go very well. New post above ^

ah yeah, well it would appear that time and what you mention is going to be the only fix...

try glycolic acid or retinoids ?

tbh its not that bad dude, i know you deffo dont want to hear that etc etc, but you need to stop worrying/focusing on it and you could be a lot worse off.

you and i are lucky to have our health.

MemberMember
(@no_hope)

Posted : 08/29/2013 7:04 pm

i think because your right side is fine you want your left side to be symmetrical which is why you are so self conscious about your scar. honestly it doesn't look bad at all and maybe you are over reacting a bit. just don't blindly do anything out of desperation i know what it feels like. believe me when i say your scar can get worse...alot worse

MemberMember
(@alaskasleeps)

Posted : 08/29/2013 8:59 pm

i think because your right side is fine you want your left side to be symmetrical which is why you are so self conscious about your scar. honestly it doesn't look bad at all and maybe you are over reacting a bit. just don't blindly do anything out of desperation i know what it feels like. believe me when i say your scar can get worse...alot worse

How did you know? You're exactly right. Have you had a similar experience? It goes deeper than just the scar to be honest. Not only is there the slight depression/scar, but my left cheek is asymmetrical to my right. There is less fat in the left cheek than the right. The right side of my face is literally 'perfect.' So in turn I've been obsessed with trying to heal the left side of my face. Yes I'm probably over excessive about this issue, as I've gone through four derms already, explaining the problem and they pretty much all have given me the same answer. They don't see it or they think I'm obsessing over one minor flaw.

MemberMember
(@no_hope)

Posted : 08/29/2013 9:45 pm

How did you know? You're exactly right. Have you had a similar experience? It goes deeper than just the scar to be honest. Not only is there the slight depression/scar, but my left cheek is asymmetrical to my right. There is less fat in the left cheek than the right. The right side of my face is literally 'perfect.' So in turn I've been obsessed with trying to heal the left side of my face. Yes I'm probably over excessive about this issue, as I've gone through four derms already, explaining the problem and they pretty much all have given me the same answer. They don't see it or they think I'm obsessing over one minor flaw.

yes i have gone through the exact phase as you are going thru right now. my case is alot worse since my problem is both cheeks. since i have your attention i want to open your mind. in my experience i was so desperate i blindly tried things and rushed into them. my forhead uses to be spotless. trying stupid things to try to make my cheeks normal ended up making other parts of my face abnormal. so in return i made things worse all in hopes of trying to make my skin symetrical. it was like i was brain washed and my judgement was clouded all for this urge to have symmetrical skin.

honestly if i was you i would move on and pretend it doesnt exist. no one will look at you differently trust me . be thankful its just that one spot it could be alot worse. theres nothing more mind boggling then making things worst then they already are. i wish i could go back in time and avoid putting products on my face and going throuh those stupid procedures that made my face worse. if you are gonna do any treatment make sure u do spot treatment only. this is your face your playing with!

MemberMember
(@searchandseek)

Posted : 08/30/2013 7:01 am

I have a small area where there are no zits but the area became slightly indented like that mysteriously. I can't explain it. There was probably a zit in the area at one point but I didn't notice any scar at the time. Now I'm thinking it mysteriously arose after trying different treatments a while back. Or maybe it was the hard liquor that I had back then which made my face hot (in terms of temperature). I don't know.

Anyways, I tried retin a before but it doesn't work on my skin at all for indented scars. But that's just my experience. The doc says it opromotes collagen but i think retin a doesn't make drastic results but if it does work, it works at a microscopic level where it cant be noticed easily. If you've been using it for 8 months with little improvement, that's probably extent it will go.

The aczone is for cysts. I don't think you have cysts there in that area. It could be that the hyper pigmentation is making it look worse than it is. Sometimes dry brown marks looked under lighting can make the area look indented, when its not. A true test to do is to put your skin at an angle of light where you cant see the color of the skin but only the texture of smoothness where the entire skin is one color of the light... Kind of like looking at a shine on a car when the sun is up.

I can't say to go against your doctor's orders, but on my skin, retin a appeared to make it worse so I stopped it.

At that time I also used a moisturizer when I noticed the mysterious indentation. That was the thing I did differently than my normal.

Sometimes the thought runs across my mind on why hasn't there been a medical association formed for the treatment of acne scars specifically throughout all this time. All the treatments out there only "help" with it but there's no solid fool-proof treatment out there that can get rid of scars with 100% guaranteed improvement. I don't think doctors understand the pain and brush it off as something insignificant because there's no health risk. Little do they understand thebpsychological effects.... And they never will... Unless it happens to them.

MemberMember
(@alaskasleeps)

Posted : 08/30/2013 2:47 pm

I think what caused it was the Differin + no moisturizer about a year and a half ago. I found a picture of myself I shot in October of last year and I can clearly see it. Why I only have this problem on the left side of my face though is beyond me. The only thing I can think of is maybe because I sleep on that side of my face, but I can't be certain. Like I said it goes deeper than just that scar. The majority of the left side of my face noticeably has less collagen/fat than the right side. It sucks because there is a slight division of skin, where it looks normal and then all of a sudden there is less collagen/fat. So there's kind of a line that runs down my face. I hate it so much. When I see how it looks in certain lighting I just want to die. I blame mostly my old dermatologist for this as he never recommended a moisturizer at all. I should of known but it didn't really cross my mind, and I didn't want to use something that was not recommended to me. Now I use a moisturizer and no longer use Differin (on Retin A now). I don't think there has been a lot of improvement really. I'm quite depressed about this lately. Even after explaining this problem to four derms and them all saying the same thing. 'I don't see it,' or 'You're obsessing.' This thing is a real mind****. Definitely the worst time of my life :(