Notifications
Clear all

Non-Ablative Laser After Accutane

MemberMember
(@amatsuki)

Posted : 05/13/2013 8:53 am

Hey guys. Like many people here I went on accutane, and was left with some acne scaring. Although it is not severe, on my right cheek I have some moderate (rolling scars I think...), and one nasty hypertrophic scar on my left cheek. Soon, I'm going to get cortisone shots (hopefully that works) for the hypertrophic scar, but I'd like to inquire about some non-ablative laser treatments. I know doctors argue between 6 months and 12 months for treatments, but do you guys think 6 months would be suffiecient for something like Fraxel resurfacing or Fraxel restore (or any non-ablative treatment)? Please let me know your thoughts and if any of you guys have gotten laser treatments 6 months ratehr than 12 months after accutane. Also the price paid would be helpful too. Thanks in advance!

MemberMember
(@ughhhhh)

Posted : 05/15/2013 1:26 am

Please do not get cortisone shots, look at my thread for what my derm did to me for my hypertrophic scars. So much worse than a bump! I know it's hard but wait as long as you can for any laser, you don't want to end up worse.

MemberMember
(@amatsuki)

Posted : 05/16/2013 11:12 am

Thanks for the warning, but I think I'm going to go ahead with the cortisone shot. I've already received a shot in this hypertrophic scar once, and it didn't cause a shrinkage in the least. When touching the scar, I can feel very thick tissue, and I think it may take multiple shots to bring down this scar. After reading your post, I believe your derm was mistaken to give you the shot in the first place because you said the derm injected cortisone into what he believed was scar tissue. Best of wishes with your problem. Additionally, you may want to try saline shots too. I've heard it rinses out the cortisone crystals and speeds up the recovery of the atrophied tissue.