Notifications
Clear all

Oh, Wouldn't It Be Nice!

MemberMember
(@austra)

Posted : 06/18/2013 9:40 am

its been 4months since the excisions and honestly the scars look the same, its weird how the excisins can heal and look exactly the way the scars were-almost as if the skin has some type of memory. Anyway even though i didnt really see an improvement im grateful they didnt turn out worse.

Thanks for the update! I'm glad to know how it turned out for you, even though it's unfortunate that you didn't get improvement. I'm sorry to hear the scars returned. The only explanation I can think of is that maybe the excisions weren't deep enough to remove the damaged area and the skin healed over it forming the same scar, but I really don't know. Assuming this is a common problem with excisions (no idea), maybe some other surgical treatment like punch grafts would be more effective.

I'm glad to hear your excisions didn't turn out worse and the excision line scars don't seem to be an issue. :)

I have my consultation in a couple of days, and I'm getting quite nervous.

MemberMember
(@austra)

Posted : 06/20/2013 6:30 pm

Righto... back from my consultation (+ seeing kittens smile.png ). I've had a very long day and I wasn't going to update until tomorrow, but since I'm here again why not.

The consultation was a disappointment. The plastic surgeon just told me I'd be crazy to get excisions for my pockmarks. She highlighted that the result would be deep surgical scars which wouldn't look good on such young and otherwise nice skin. I could tell she wasn't really experienced in treating acne scars or similar scarring at all, so I didn't end up pressing too much and asking all the questions I'd indented, but instead kept it more general. Since I've now read several reports of the original scar reappearing (and at least Dr Chu doesn't promote excision for that reason), I asked if final outcomes could be different for a mole excision compared with a depressed scar excision. I don't know if she has actual experience in this, but she said that it could well be the case - one factor being that acne scarred skin must inherently be more prone to scarring in the first place, and since there already is a scar, it could affect how the site heals. Also, excision scars look neater in otherwise flawless skin compared with skin that has mild scarring all around, which is a very valid point. But still, I don't really understand why some people seem to get such good results with scar excision while others do not (maybe you'd need a deeper layer of stitches in addition to the ones on the surface?). Since this experienced plastic surgeon was so against me getting excisions, I feel like I may have to drop this plan. I'd like to get a consultation with one different ps just to get a second opinion, but I'm not expecting to hear anything different, to be honest.

I also asked (very briefly) about skin grafts, and she said that they definitely would stand out more than acne scars and she always tries to make them as small as possible when she treats skin cancer patients. I was fairly surprised to hear this since grafts sound like such a great treatment in my opinion, but I have to say that in this respect the fact that she's not specialized in acne scarring but skin cancer and surgical scars etc really does make a world of a difference, and her opinion doesn't really tell me anything. I wish there were plastic surgeons here who had tried these methods specifically on acne scars and seen how they worked or did not work, but there aren't any where I'm based. And with treatments like excision and grafts you really have to get an experienced doctor to consider it at all, so it doesn't look like I could be pursuing these treatments for my scars unless I go abroad (which isn't realistic any time soon).

The plastic surgeon did recommend me another doctor and a laser clinic for a consultation. The clinic she recommended is the only one that has Deep FX, so I wasn't really surprised to hear it's better than others. Apparently, if it was her, she'd wait a few years until my hormones had completely leveled off and I'd stopped getting any acne or scars, and then go for laser treatments. I think I will get a consultation with them fairly soon and weigh in my options. I don't like the idea of getting a treatment that also affects my healthy unscarred skin, but if there are no other viable options, I'll consider it. I'm also considering getting another Cross treatment, to my surprise, mainly to soften my couple newer scars (since I think Cross may have made my scars softer and thus better looking, even if they're more or less the same depth). And I'm considering just accepting things for how they are, and possibly moving on. I'm going to give Dermablend a try (even though I hate having to wear make-up), in case it would make me feel better about my skin. I'll see. Even though my scarring is moderate, this is still a relatively small issue in the larger scheme of things, and I do acknowledge it and know that I should put things into perspective.

Oh, and the final and actually very good thing about the consultation was that I didn't have to pay for it after all! Turned out I could actually get it under my health insurance (sort of, at least they seemed to think it would do). I hope this will be the case if I get more consultations in the future. All that money now went into getting kittens instead, yippee.

MemberMember
(@acnescar123)

Posted : 06/21/2013 11:33 am

Austa just as an unrelated fyi - you should be able to do just the scarred skin with laser if you wanted too. Or at least just the cheeks.

MemberMember
(@austra)

Posted : 06/21/2013 12:23 pm

Thanks for reminding me! :) I'm going to book a consultation with the clinic that was recommended and ask about the option of doing just that.

If they can't do spot treatment, I'll consider just getting my cheek area lasered.

MemberMember
(@austra)

Posted : 06/23/2013 3:01 pm

its been 4months since the excisions and honestly the scars look the same, its weird how the excisins can heal and look exactly the way the scars were-almost as if the skin has some type of memory. Anyway even though i didnt really see an improvement im grateful they didnt turn out worse.

How have the surgical scars healed by the way? I assume you must still have red or white line scars where the excisions were made. The plastic surgeon I consulted said the surgical scars would look more noticeable than pockmarks.

MemberMember
(@oopli)

Posted : 06/24/2013 9:22 pm

How have the surgical scars healed by the way? I assume you must still have red or white line scars where the excisions were made. The plastic surgeon I consulted said the surgical scars would look more noticeable than pockmarks.

They look just like the pock marks did, i dont really see any "thin white line" that ive read about. honestly if i had my memory blanked and looked in the mirror i would never guess i had excisions done.