Notifications
Clear all

Benzoyl Peroxide Before Fraxel Re:pair?

MemberMember
(@joshuailove)

Posted : 12/14/2012 7:59 am

Hey guys so im going in for a fraxel re:pair for my acne scars on the 24th of Dec, but I wish to know if I can still use benzyol peroxide until the because I still have active acne,

Thanks!

MemberMember
(@scarminator)

Posted : 12/14/2012 12:18 pm

Scar treatments on active acne is not ideal. Also, benzoyl peroxide is a free radical generator. Not the best thing to treat scarring or to use in conjunction with scar treatments.

By the way, make sure your skin is quite bad before doing any laser treatment (fractional ablative is probably the worst imo). The more I study their mechanism of action, the more ambivalent do I become toward them. Don't be surprised if your texture gets fucked up after the treatment.

edit: lol, reading through my post, I reckon that I was kinda harsh. There are of course many people that think their skin has improved tremendously from having fraxel. Imo, it's not worth the risk, but I'm sure there are a lot of people that would disagree with me. Good luck with whatever you decide!

MemberMember
(@quirky-fox)

Posted : 12/16/2012 6:50 am

Fraxel Re:Pair is a serious treatment. I would get off BP asap, if you can, and would switch to Retin-A or similar. How bad is your active acne? Scarminator is right in that you really shouldn't get laser treatments until you have your acne under control. Otherwise you will risk further scaring and/or infection.

BP thins the skin somewhat and is actually counter-productive to improving scars. Yes, it helps with acne (in fact BP was a lifesaver for my active acne issues) but it isn't something you want to touch after your lasers. Retin-A all the way! If you can, stop all active products at least two days prior to your laser session. Be gentle with your skin and wear sunscreen every day without fail.

I'm surprised that your doctor hasn't told you all of this. :S I have had 5 Fraxel Re:Store treatments (different to what you're getting. My treatments were not as invasive) and even then I had to be very careful about the products I was putting on my skin pre and post lasering.

Don't let me discourage you though. My Fraxel treatments definitely helped me and I have had no negative long-term side effects. The key is to do your homework and to probe your doctor for information. I would go back to him/her and ask them about your active acne and about the things that should be put on your face from today onwards.

xx

MemberMember
(@lovegreensmoothies)

Posted : 12/18/2012 1:13 am

No good doctor would perform fraxel on active acne. I seriously caution you to wait until you clear up.