Notifications
Clear all

Discoloration In Certain Light

MemberMember
(@nate847)

Posted : 12/09/2012 1:29 am

I have discoloration where I've picked but I can only really see it when I have my head tilted a certain way. I was wondering if this is normal and treatable.

MemberMember
(@quirky-fox)

Posted : 12/09/2012 1:33 am

Definitely normal. :) My scars look worse when I tilt my head to one side and look at them under different lights. Lighting is tricky, so I try to use natural light where I can.

Also, treatable? Yes! Discolouration often resolves on its own but you can speed up the process with the use of vitamin A based products and exfoliation.

MemberMember
(@foreverandpatience)

Posted : 12/09/2012 1:29 pm

Definitely normal. :) My scars look worse when I tilt my head to one side and look at them under different lights. Lighting is tricky, so I try to use natural light where I can.

Also, treatable? Yes! Discolouration often resolves on its own but you can speed up the process with the use of vitamin A based products and exfoliation.

I have that same problem o.o

MemberMember
(@quirky-fox)

Posted : 12/11/2012 3:05 am

I'd say 99% of us with scars have this problem and it's perfectly normal.

MemberMember
(@foreverandpatience)

Posted : 12/11/2012 11:45 am

I'd say 99% of us with scars have this problem and it's perfectly normal.

Do you know if all scars turn white?

I'm wondering because my step dad has mild acne scars and they're the same colour as his skin.

I also read sonething about scars shrinking over time?

Any ideas?

MemberMember
(@austra)

Posted : 12/11/2012 11:54 am

Facial acne scars don't usually turn white, but elsewhere on the body they might. I haven't looked into why this is, maybe the skin is better vascularized in the face. It's the same with chicken pox scars, they're hardly ever hypopigmented on the face, but elsewhere they are.

MemberMember
(@foreverandpatience)

Posted : 12/11/2012 12:14 pm

Facial acne scars don't usually turn white, but elsewhere on the body they might. I haven't looked into why this is, maybe the skin is better vascularized in the face. It's the same with chicken pox scars, they're hardly ever hypopigmented on the face, but elsewhere they are.

Well thats a relief!

MemberMember
(@foreverandpatience)

Posted : 12/11/2012 1:09 pm

-If the link works-

Its Victoria Beckham... aka Posh Spice lmao

Are these scars?

MemberMember
(@jbird12)

Posted : 12/11/2012 7:24 pm

Yep, if I look at my face in natural light like say my car rear view mirror, my face looks pretty evenly toned. However, if I look at my face in my bathroom lighting, the color seems to be all over the place.

MemberMember
(@michi31)

Posted : 12/11/2012 7:49 pm

Yeah this is upsetting me a lot lately. I have marks, I'll say they are grey, from where I've had cysts in the past. They've really gotten numerous and the whole area of my scarring looks marked up. It's awful because I know the pigment change is at the deeper level and they are never going away. The oldest is 3 or 4 years old now. Does anyone else have this? I've read that when hyperpigmentation happens in the dermis there is nothing that can be done - although there is some promise with q-switch lasers.

MemberMember
(@quirky-fox)

Posted : 12/12/2012 2:26 am

-If the link works-

Its Victoria Beckham... aka Posh Spice lmao

Are these scars?

No, these are not scars. This is hypopigmentation. I think in Posh's case this looks like it was caused by sun damage. Acne can cause this too though. smile.png

Yeah this is upsetting me a lot lately. I have marks, I'll say they are grey, from where I've had cysts in the past. They've really gotten numerous and the whole area of my scarring looks marked up. It's awful because I know the pigment change is at the deeper level and they are never going away. The oldest is 3 or 4 years old now. Does anyone else have this? I've read that when hyperpigmentation happens in the dermis there is nothing that can be done - although there is some promise with q-switch lasers.

Hyperpigmentation is usually easer to treat than hypopigmentation. Have you tried any brightening serums? A lot of these are Vitamin C based and are excellent for your skin in general. There are lasers that target this problem too though. When I had my Fraxel sessions I know that a lot of my freckles disappeared and have never come back, so there is hope. smile.png

MemberMember
(@michi31)

Posted : 12/12/2012 7:57 am

Unfortunately, dermal hyperpigmentation is non-responsive to topicals. Here are a couple explanations:

"Dermal hyperpigmentation occurs in the lower levels of the skin and is caused by hormonal changes or inflammation that disrupts the germinative cell layer, triggering the release of melanin into the dermal layer. A blue to gray discoloration is an indication of dermal hyperpigmentation."

"Dermal pigmentation (e.g., associated with lichen planus and cutaneous lupus erythematosus) occurs when the basement membrane is disrupted and melanin falls into the dermis and resides within melanophages."

Anyway, you'll find that the only possible treatment is lasers so I guess that is hopeful. However whenever I think I have enough nerve to try lasers, I read Realself, or anywhere else that compiles reviews and I decide I'm never doing laser. The bad side effects and long-term damage are far too frequent of an occurrence, and truly terrifying.

MemberMember
(@foreverandpatience)

Posted : 12/12/2012 1:09 pm

Unfortunately, dermal hyperpigmentation is non-responsive to topicals. Here are a couple explanations:

"Dermal hyperpigmentation occurs in the lower levels of the skin and is caused by hormonal changes or inflammation that disrupts the germinative cell layer, triggering the release of melanin into the dermal layer. A blue to gray discoloration is an indication of dermal hyperpigmentation."

"Dermal pigmentation (e.g., associated with lichen planus and cutaneous lupus erythematosus) occurs when the basement membrane is disrupted and melanin falls into the dermis and resides within melanophages."

Anyway, you'll find that the only possible treatment is lasers so I guess that is hopeful. However whenever I think I have enough nerve to try lasers, I read Realself, or anywhere else that compiles reviews and I decide I'm never doing laser. The bad side effects and long-term damage are far too frequent of an occurrence, and truly terrifying.

What about dermarolling?

I heard it helps with such things like hyperpigmentation. I actually used it on some spots on my legs. I'm not sure the depth of the color but it helped.

MemberMember
(@quirky-fox)

Posted : 12/16/2012 6:41 am

I wonder then about my hyperpigmentation. It certainly responds to my vitamin C brightening serums but I will admit it's a very slow process.

Lasers can be a scary thought but it's really not that bad. I've had 5 Fraxel sessions and no negative long term side effects. Everyone is different I know. I learnt to stay away from the rubbish on RealSelf though because the majority of it was negative which just made me think that the only people to talk about lasers on that website were the people who had issues. There was no balance of positive/negative reviews.

The right laser, the right doctor, the right clinic... possibilities are endless. Lasers work! You just have to do all the hard work up front in choosing a clinic.

Also, F&P has a point, since Dermarolling my pigmentation issues are getting much better. Again it's slow but it's real.

MemberMember
(@michi31)

Posted : 12/16/2012 11:34 am

Your hyperpigmentation must be epidermal then. Most of that has already faded for me, it's the stubborn dermal part that I don't know what to do with. Maybe dermarolling would help. I definitely feel less scared of that than laser. I have heard people say that before about Realself, that people only post negative reviews. But how do we know that's not a fair sample? I read lots of reveiws for everything, and people do not just post when they are disappointed in a service, product whatever. So why would that be the case with laser? And even if it's not a fair sample, it's still utterly terrifying that lasers can cause this type of damage in people. I don't think it's an acceptable risk, especially because many of these people went to "the best". I think you suffered cystic acne after each laser? That's not ok for me as it would certainly lead to more scarring. I am happy laser has helped some people, it just seems like a minority of people are happy with it.

MemberMember
(@quirky-fox)

Posted : 12/17/2012 2:33 am

Yes, I had breakouts after every laser session but it did not lead to more scarring. It was just an unfortunate side effect but in the end the laser treatments did help my skin. I think we can agree to disagree on the lasers subject. :) I know that there are people out there who have "horror stories" and I'm not downplaying their experiences nor trying to say that lasers are perfectly safe. Of course there are risks, there are risks with every medical procedure. In the end it's up to the patients to decide if it's worth it. For me it was, for others it's not.

MemberMember
(@foreverandpatience)

Posted : 12/18/2012 8:59 pm

I have a question, so I figure I'd ask it here since it wouldn't make much sense in posting a new one when this sort of has to do with discoloration.

Do all scars turn red after touching them, hot showers, sun burn. Not that I'd recomend going into the sun, oh no. Never again... but anyway lol

Just wondering cause I've noticed this mark on my forehead turns red, slightly more red then the skin around it in the slightest touch. I have really sensitive skin. The marks about 7 months old now .-.

Basically just wondering what that means. Won't be seeing my doctor until after new years .-.

MemberMember
(@quirky-fox)

Posted : 12/21/2012 3:14 am

I have a question, so I figure I'd ask it here since it wouldn't make much sense in posting a new one when this sort of has to do with discoloration.

Do all scars turn red after touching them, hot showers, sun burn. Not that I'd recomend going into the sun, oh no. Never again... but anyway lol

Just wondering cause I've noticed this mark on my forehead turns red, slightly more red then the skin around it in the slightest touch. I have really sensitive skin. The marks about 7 months old now .-.

Basically just wondering what that means. Won't be seeing my doctor until after new years .-.

No, not all scars would turn red. Some turn white or even purple. Exposure to heat/cold and touch will cause discolouration in normal skin too. Short of it is that there is no definitive answer because everyone is different.

I wouldn't worry but I would stop touching it! :P

Have you set a date to see your doctor yet? xx