Notifications
Clear all

Excision Of Scars

MemberMember
(@foreverandpatience)

Posted : 12/07/2012 1:28 am

I'm curious to know if exicision is only for certain types of scars... like really really deep scars or narrow scars. I'd also like to know if its only for certain areas.

Here's the thing... I have a relatively new scar on my forehead... its about half a year old. It honestly looks level with the surrounding skin... but I still see the edges. .. and its a wide scar. About five or six milimeters. It still turns red when I touch it, but otherwise its skin colored. I'm just paranoid its going to get deeper, or become more noticible in some way.

I'm asking for future reference, I'm not going to jump into something crazy if its still a new scar, or whatever it is. I'm just curious on opinions. I'd much rather have a linear scar.

Thanks in advance. And please do tell of any stories if you've had excision.

(:

MemberMember
(@austra)

Posted : 12/07/2012 9:39 am

The scar isn't going to get deeper, trust me. It's going to fill in to some degree depending on the individual and the edges will soften with time. I don't think you'll need any treatments for it. But do research in case you want to have a treatment plan to ease your mind.

And this is a good topic, because there isn't enough information about excision. I haven't seen any good before-after pictures, which would be very handy when considering this treatment.

MemberMember
(@quirky-fox)

Posted : 12/07/2012 10:19 am

I'm curious to know if exicision is only for certain types of scars... like really really deep scars or narrow scars. I'd also like to know if its only for certain areas.

Here's the thing... I have a relatively new scar on my forehead... its about half a year old. It honestly looks level with the surrounding skin... but I still see the edges. .. and its a wide scar. About five or six milimeters. It still turns red when I touch it, but otherwise its skin colored. I'm just paranoid its going to get deeper, or become more noticible in some way.

I'm asking for future reference, I'm not going to jump into something crazy if its still a new scar, or whatever it is. I'm just curious on opinions. I'd much rather have a linear scar.

(:

I agree with Austra. If your scar was going to get deeper there would be signs of that by now. Typically, scars get better over time when they're only new. Yes you can see the edges! That's normal. Everyone can see the edges of their scars even if they're only superficial like yours. The reason is that the scar is different from the surrounding skin, making it noticeable.

What will make the mark on your forehead more noticeable is if you treat it with an invasive procedure when you didn't need to. Skin takes a very long time to heal properly after any significant trauma. And by a very long time I mean years. This does not mean that things will get worse!

Are you 100% positive that this is even a scar? If it's level with the rest of the skin, a little shiny or a little discoloured it's entirely possible that what you're seeing is simply an "acne mark". Real scars are indented or raised to some degree. Acne marks are completely different to scars and require different treatment options. I had one particularly bad acne mark on my cheek. It took 2 years to fully resolve but it resolved completely on its own. You need patience.

My honest opinion? Stop stressing! You don't need to even consider excision, that's an invasive procedure saved for deep scars. Give your skin time to heal properly. I can't enforce how important it is that you relax a little and take the time to do some research outside of these boards.

*** I've given you this link so many times now, have you read through it? If not read it and put your mind to rest a little! http://www.scribd.co.../Acne-and-Scars ***

MemberMember
(@foreverandpatience)

Posted : 12/07/2012 10:55 am

Yeah. I should stop stressing but thats just a bad habbit. I read something on atropic scarring being nearly level or slightly indented. I feel no difference when I touch over the area and skin surrounding. But argh, the edges! Its not a red discolored spot; I mean it was red at first but now its pretty close to my skin color, if not slightly lighter. And with side lighting from a distance it loojs a shinny pink color.

It never shrunk like normal wounds... how they contract. It never bled, it sort of crusted. I kept it covered with a bandaid and dressed it in honey.

At one point when washing it, a layer of the skin thing covering it came off.

I didn't use anything harsh on it. But I made the mistake of going into the sun a couple times (hard to avoid the beach during summer in Florida. )

I also figured the sea water would help. I covered my face while laying out, but in swimming it turned a bright red from the sun that got to it, and it burned like hell.

But again, its so confusing ad to what to do about it. I guess the only good thing to come out of this is that I now practically hide from the sun >.>

MemberMember
(@quirky-fox)

Posted : 12/07/2012 11:18 am

Yeah. I should stop stressing but thats just a bad habbit. I read something on atropic scarring being nearly level or slightly indented. I feel no difference when I touch over the area and skin surrounding. But argh, the edges! Its not a red discolored spot; I mean it was red at first but now its pretty close to my skin color, if not slightly lighter. And with side lighting from a distance it loojs a shinny pink color.

It never shrunk like normal wounds... how they contract. It never bled, it sort of crusted. I kept it covered with a bandaid and dressed it in honey.

I didn't use anything harsh on it. But I made the mistake of going into the sun a couple times (hard to avoid the beach during summer in Florida. )

I also figured the sea water would help. I covered my face while laying out, but in swimming it turned a bright red from the sun that got to it, and it burned like hell.

But again, its so confusing ad to what to do about it. I guess the only good thing to come out of this is that I now practically hide from the sun >.>

Okay, here's the thing my friend... chronic stressing is not a bad habit, it's a sign that you need to seek some help. smile.png Trust me on this one. I suffered from anxiety for a long time before finally talking to someone about it. I will never regret nor feel silly about that. Just putting it out there.

Whatever you read about atrophic scarring is incorrect then. The definition of atrophic is this: "A wasting or decrease in size of a body organ, tissue, or part owing to disease, injury, or lack of use". If your mark is level with your skin it is 100% not atrophic, not one bit. My scars are atrophic and require invasive treatments. My scars are not "slightly indented" they are very much indented. There is a huge difference.

From what you've just described I am very confident in telling you that you do not have a scar, you have a pigmentation issue. It's called Post Inflammatory Hypopigmentation or PIH, look it up! smile.png It is still caused by trauma and can still be treated, but all the things you're looking up (excision, skin needling, chemical peels etc) are not what you need to treat this, in fact they would make this worse. It is confusing you because you're freaking out and not relaxing and listening to advice.

The edges are clear to you because this pink mark is different to the skin around it. Just like if you took a marker and drew a pink line on your head. You would see the edges. Your best tool is time, it really is. If it was red and now pink it is an awesome sign that your body is healing this. 6 months is nothing, you need 12 months to even 2 years. It's a slow process but it's not going to get worse if you do nothing. In the meantime you can cover this mark with a tiny bit of concealer to blend it in with your normal skin, or you could even get a fake tan, presto!

Please read this and think about it carefully. I only have your best interests in mind. You're blinded by all this confusion and the thought that this is a scar. Take a breath, and be rational.

xx

MemberMember
(@foreverandpatience)

Posted : 12/07/2012 11:28 am

Okay, here's the thing my friend... chronic stressing is not a bad habit, it's a sign that you need to seek some help. smile.png Trust me on this one. I suffered from anxiety for a long time before finally talking to someone about it. I will never regret nor feel silly about that. Just putting it out there.

Whatever you read about atrophic scarring is incorrect then. The definition of atrophic is this: "A wasting or decrease in size of a body organ, tissue, or part owing to disease, injury, or lack of use". If your mark is level with your skin it is 100% not atrophic, not one bit. My scars are atrophic and require invasive treatments. My scars are not "slightly indented" they are very much indented. There is a huge difference.

From what you've just described I am very confident in telling you that you do not have a scar, you have a pigmentation issue. It's called Post Inflammatory Hypopigmentation or PIH, look it up! smile.png It is still caused by trauma and can still be treated, but all the things you're looking up (excision, skin needling, chemical peels etc) are not what you need to treat this, in fact they would make this worse. It is confusing you because you're freaking out and not relaxing and listening to advice.

The edges are clear to you because this pink mark is different to the skin around it. Just like if you took a marker and drew a pink line on your head. You would see the edges. Your best tool is time, it really is. If it was red and now pink it is an awesome sign that your body is healing this. 6 months is nothing, you need 12 months to even 2 years. It's a slow process but it's not going to get worse if you do nothing. In the meantime you can cover this mark with a tiny bit of concealer to blend it in with your normal skin, or you could even get a fake tan, presto!

Please read this and think about it carefully. I only have your best interests in mind. You're blinded by all this confusion and the thought that this is a scar. Take a breath, and be rational.

xx

Thanks. You've been a big help. And I am indeed trying to get help, my next appointment I'm going to discuss BDD and OCD with my doctor. They cause me anxiety and blah.

But the mark is skin colored from inspection, if not a little lighter, only from certain lighting doest it look pink or shiny.-.

And I really feel as though if the edges werent there, itd look just like normal skin. I agree the edges make it noticable

MemberMember
(@foreverandpatience)

Posted : 12/07/2012 11:45 am

Its as though just the edges are indented... by like a hair, if that clears things up .-.

MemberMember
(@quirky-fox)

Posted : 12/07/2012 11:52 am

xx

Thanks. You've been a big help. And I am indeed trying to get help, my next appointment I'm going to discuss BDD and OCD with my doctor. They cause me anxiety and blah.

But the mark is skin colored from inspection, if not a little lighter, only from certain lighting doest it look pink or shiny.-.

And I really feel as though if the edges werent there, itd look just like normal skin. I agree the edges make it noticable

:) Hang in there, only way is up from here!

Lighting is a bitch, I know from personal experience. Some lighting makes my skin almost flawless while other lighting makes me look like a haggard witch. The same goes for everyone, bad skin or not. Some celebrities even insist on only having certain lighting in their homes because they want to look better, hahah!

Okay so we agree that you don't have an atrophic scar then, yay! Would you consider trying a little dab of concealer on the mark to see how it looks? It's simple and if you find the right shade you wouldn't even be able to tell it's there. That might give you the confidence boost that you need. I know putting makeup on isn't for everyone but we're talking about a tiny area, not your entire face. :)

Xo

MemberMember
(@foreverandpatience)

Posted : 12/07/2012 1:03 pm

xx

:) Hang in there, only way is up from here!

Lighting is a bitch, I know from personal experience. Some lighting makes my skin almost flawless while other lighting makes me look like a haggard witch. The same goes for everyone, bad skin or not. Some celebrities even insist on only having certain lighting in their homes because they want to look better, hahah!

Okay so we agree that you don't have an atrophic scar then, yay! Would you consider trying a little dab of concealer on the mark to see how it looks? It's simple and if you find the right shade you wouldn't even be able to tell it's there. That might give you the confidence boost that you need. I know putting makeup on isn't for everyone but we're talking about a tiny area, not your entire face. :)

Xo

I think whats making it worse is the area its in, underneath the skin, its like uneven.... if that makes sense. When I pull the scar taught it looks uneven, and I feel a dent deep in the skin. Like muscle or fat. But I'd always had that, and I think thats what contributes to my forhead wrinkling unevenly. When I have no movements its flat. That may be where I fell and hit my head when I was little. But I dont know for sure. I thought I caused that deep of damage, but in looking at pictures from before the scar, when I raise my eyebrows. Gosh. I'm really sounding anal.

MemberMember
(@quirky-fox)

Posted : 12/07/2012 8:55 pm

I think whats making it worse is the area its in, underneath the skin, its like uneven.... if that makes sense. When I pull the scar taught it looks uneven, and I feel a dent deep in the skin. Like muscle or fat. But I'd always had that, and I think thats what contributes to my forhead wrinkling unevenly. When I have no movements its flat. That may be where I fell and hit my head when I was little. But I dont know for sure. I thought I caused that deep of damage, but in looking at pictures from before the scar, when I raise my eyebrows. Gosh. I'm really sounding anal.

Don't put yourself down, you're not anal. This is something that bothers you and it's okay to want to seek answers. All you need to do is be rational. We're here to help you work this out. smile.png

The skin on our foreheads is tricky because it is thinner here and is stretched over a nice big area of bone, obviously. Hehe! So, marks or scars here tend to be stubborn and often end up looking very different with different facial expressions etc because when our eyebrows go up, the skin on our foreheads crinkle. Our faces are rarely symmetrical though, so don't forget that when you raise your eyebrows the creases in your forehead will not necessarily be even, mine aren't! My left side of my forehead crinkles way more than my right. When I relax my facial muscles and feel my forehead I can feel the subtle indentations of my forehead wrinkles but that's it. I'm not worried at all about this as wrinkles are inevitable but not impossible to treat.

I went to a beauty salon earlier this year and had an eyebrow wax. Unfortunately something went wrong and the beautician ended up ripping my skin off instead! What I noticed a few days later was scabbing, flaking and then shiny patches of skin on my forehead between my eyes and above my eyebrows. These shiny patches started off as bright red and then faded to pink. The skin would crinkle when I touched it and yes, it freaked me out. It's now around 6 months later and if I look closely I can still see the shiny patches but they're now skin coloured and I'm not worried because I know in another 6 months my skin will be back to normal there. The wounds were not deep enough to create scars and I know that it takes a long time for skin to turn over completely.

If you truly think that you can definitely feel a dent in your skin then the treatment I would tell you to try would be the Dermaroller or the Dermastamp. Why? Because it's 100% safe when done by a professional and can be used on any skin type, regardless of scarring or not. It helps with pigmentation issues as well as any scarring and there is no downtime. I wouldn't even look at any other treatments. On the Dermaroller website there is a girl there with a pretty bad forehead scar that they treated with the Dermastamp. Her results are amazing. You still need patience but you need patience with any treatment.

I hope this helps and I hope that you do go have a chat to your doctor about the way you're feeling. It was such a weight off my shoulder to know that my anxiety was not ungrounded and that there were ways to deal with it.

xx

MemberMember
(@foreverandpatience)

Posted : 12/08/2012 4:17 pm

I've heard about the dermaroller thinning skin, is that true?

MemberMember
(@foreverandpatience)

Posted : 12/09/2012 12:34 am

(:

I agree with Austra. If your scar was going to get deeper there would be signs of that by now. Typically, scars get better over time when they're only new. Yes you can see the edges! That's normal. Everyone can see the edges of their scars even if they're only superficial like yours. The reason is that the scar is different from the surrounding skin, making it noticeable.

What will make the mark on your forehead more noticeable is if you treat it with an invasive procedure when you didn't need to. Skin takes a very long time to heal properly after any significant trauma. And by a very long time I mean years. This does not mean that things will get worse!

Are you 100% positive that this is even a scar? If it's level with the rest of the skin, a little shiny or a little discoloured it's entirely possible that what you're seeing is simply an "acne mark". Real scars are indented or raised to some degree. Acne marks are completely different to scars and require different treatment options. I had one particularly bad acne mark on my cheek. It took 2 years to fully resolve but it resolved completely on its own. You need patience.

My honest opinion? Stop stressing! You don't need to even consider excision, that's an invasive procedure saved for deep scars. Give your skin time to heal properly. I can't enforce how important it is that you relax a little and take the time to do some research outside of these boards.

*** I've given you this link so many times now, have you read through it? If not read it and put your mind to rest a little! http://www.scribd.co.../Acne-and-Scars ***

And can you give me a description of acne marks?

Are you talking about the red spots.

Because this thing from what I renember had been filling in... but its hard to recall because it took some time to heal and then I got it sunburned but it didn't hyperpigmentate or anything. Its level from what I can tell, and skin colored up close... very similar to surrounding skin but theres edges.

MemberMember
(@quirky-fox)

Posted : 12/09/2012 12:39 am

(:

Because this thing from what I renember had been filling in... but its hard to recall because it took some time to heal and then I got it sunburned but it didn't hyperpigmentate or anything. Its level from what I can tell, and skin colored up close... very similar to surrounding skin but theres edges.

Where do you find all of this bad information? I shudder to think what websites you've visited or who has told you these things.

1. The Dermaroller does not thin skin, it thickens it. Nothing I have ever read has ever indicated that it causes thinning of the skin.

2. Acne marks are marks on the skin that are level with the skin around it. They do not have to be discoloured. They can be red, white, brown, purple, skin coloured, scaly, shiny or uneven looking. In time your skin turns over dead cells and creates new skin but this takes time and for acne marks the skin needs to turnover many times for it to diminish.

Go see a dermatologist my friend, they are the only ones who can help you at this point.

MemberMember
(@foreverandpatience)

Posted : 12/09/2012 12:55 am

(:

Where do you find all of this bad information? I shudder to think what websites you've visited or who has told you these things.

1. The Dermaroller does not thin skin, it thickens it. Nothing I have ever read has ever indicated that it causes thinning of the skin.

2. Acne marks are marks on the skin that are level with the skin around it. They do not have to be discoloured. They can be red, white, brown, purple, skin coloured, scaly, shiny or uneven looking. In time your skin turns over dead cells and creates new skin but this takes time and for acne marks the skin needs to turnover many times for it to diminish.

Go see a dermatologist my friend, they are the only ones who can help you at this point.

Thanks. I was researching dermarolling and found a thread somewhere on here where someone said it haf thinned out their skin and they could even prove it with some sort of skin xray thing. Thats why I asked, I wasn't entirely sure.

Do you know what causes acne marks? I don't mean to pester. This thing could possibly be one but its kind of big in diameter. And when I think of marks, I think of spots.

MemberMember
(@quirky-fox)

Posted : 12/09/2012 1:05 am

Thanks. I was researching dermarolling and found a thread somewhere on here where someone said it haf thinned out their skin and they could even prove it with some sort of skin xray thing. Thats why I asked, I wasn't entirely sure.

Do you know what causes acne marks? I don't mean to pester. This thing could possibly be one but its kind of big in diameter. And when I think of marks, I think of spots.

There are a ton of idiots out there on the Internet. They don't read things before they jump in. Like all those fad diets! People believe the con that they can have perfect skin if they buy a $12 roller and use it on their face. I'm sorry, but these people should not be listened to when it comes to results. They don't know what they're doing. The genuine Dermaroller, is the only device I stand by and out of thousands of treatments world wide there has never been a report of anything negative happening.

Acne marks are caused by acne. tongue.png Sorry, couldn't resist. Any trauma to the skin causes your body to go into a wound healing response. Your body works quickly to curb bleeding and to repair damage. If the wound is deep or inflammation prolonged (most acne cases) there is more chance of scarring as your body quickly lays down scar tissue to heal you. Most of the time this works well and your skin looks fine, other times your body lays too much or too little scar tissue and/or collagen doesn't rebuild properly and you end up with permanent indentations or bumps. If the wounds are superficial then you still go into a wound healing phase but it is unlikely that you will have an actual scar. What you will see is the process of fresh skin appearing. So you will see colour changes, texture changes etc. All of this takes time! There is no set time limit on changes in our skin. It took 2 years for one of my big acne marks to disappear!

Again, I am no doctor. Go see one! wink.png

MemberMember
(@foreverandpatience)

Posted : 12/09/2012 1:12 am

There are a ton of idiots out there on the Internet. They don't read things before they jump in. Like all those fad diets! People believe the con that they can have perfect skin if they buy a $12 roller and use it on their face. I'm sorry, but these people should not be listened to when it comes to results. They don't know what they're doing. The genuine Dermaroller, is the only device I stand by and out of thousands of treatments world wide there has never been a report of anything negative happening.

Acne marks are caused by acne. tongue.png Sorry, couldn't resist. Any trauma to the skin causes your body to go into a wound healing response. Your body works quickly to curb bleeding and to repair damage. If the wound is deep or inflammation prolonged (most acne cases) there is more chance of scarring as your body quickly lays down scar tissue to heal you. Most of the time this works well and your skin looks fine, other times your body lays too much or too little scar tissue and/or collagen doesn't rebuild properly and you end up with permanent indentations or bumps. If the wounds are superficial then you still go into a wound healing phase but it is unlikely that you will have an actual scar. What you will see is the process of fresh skin appearing. So you will see colour changes, texture changes etc. All of this takes time! There is no set time limit on changes in our skin. It took 2 years for one of my big acne marks to disappear!

Thanks again. I do need to see a professional. I just keep beating myself up over the fact that I'm obsessing again. And I still keep picking. I think I may lay off this site for awhile. A lot of people have helped but I'm accomplishing nothing, and its giving me anxiety and causing me to obsess so so much. Ugh. But I will come back and say whats up. Hopefully everything will get better. ..

MemberMember
(@quirky-fox)

Posted : 12/09/2012 1:15 am

Thanks again. I do need to see a professional. I just keep beating myself up over the fact that I'm obsessing again. And I still keep picking. I think I may lay off this site for awhile. A lot of people have helped but I'm accomplishing nothing, and its giving me anxiety and causing me to obsess so so much. Ugh. But I will come back and say whats up. Hopefully everything will get better. ..

Don't beat yourself up! But do stop picking! :P Every time you go to pick tell yourself that you'll only make it worse. A hard habit to beat but not impossible. Everything will get better but only if you keep your chin up! xx

MemberMember
(@foreverandpatience)

Posted : 12/09/2012 1:29 am

Don't beat yourself up! But do stop picking! :P Every time you go to pick tell yourself that you'll only make it worse. A hard habit to beat but not impossible. Everything will get better but only if you keep your chin up! xx

I will try. I dont know if this is the best idea, but when I'm home I wear a bandana so I'm not tempted to pick and such.

MemberMember
(@quirky-fox)

Posted : 12/09/2012 1:30 am

I will try. I dont know if this is the best idea, but when I'm home I wear a bandana so I'm not tempted to pick and such.

Sounds like a brilliant idea to me! Just make sure the bandanna is always clean ;)