Notifications
Clear all

My Total Fx Diary - Procedure Scheduled For 12/04/12 - Updates To Follow

MemberMember
(@jbird12)

Posted : 12/10/2012 9:04 pm

Looks good Inspired! I wouldn't worry about the scabbing. I scabbed up a bit (not to that extent) with my first Mixto treatment. My second treatment I surprisingly didn't scab up at all just oozed more.

Just make sure to always use sunblock. I made the mistake after my first treatment to not apply sunblock when I was just running out real quick and I definitely suffered some hyperpigmentation that took me about 6 weeks to get rid of.

This time I've had no issues and I'm thinking that's because I've been much more diligent with sunblock application.

MemberMember
(@tokyogirl)

Posted : 12/11/2012 3:31 pm

Thank you for sharing your experience with the scabs, jbird! Someone else also private messaged me last night, and told me the same thing. I don't think most people post pictures of this phase of healing, but apparently, the scabbing is not unusual. It is what they call crusting. I am so relieved to know two other members on this forum, who recently had fractionally ablative co2 laser, also experienced this to some degree.

Add-on:

I haven't been outside since my treatment, but started applying sunblock today, although I don't plan to leave the house. I was told to start after the 4th or 5th day of treatment but waited for a majority of the crusts to fall off first.

That's great news that you haven't had issues with hyperpigmentation since your second treatment. I'm holding out hope that I will also heal without pigmentation issues. If I do have them at this point, I think it will be minimal compared to what I experienced with Deep FX, MixTo spot treatment, and TCA in the past.

MemberMember
(@tokyogirl)

Posted : 12/11/2012 3:51 pm

Original post updated. I will update again in 30 days.

MemberMember
(@collegeboy84)

Posted : 12/11/2012 9:04 pm

Original post updated. I will update again in 30 days.

You're looking good Tokyogirl! Your skin looks a WHOLE lot loss pink then mine did at your stage of healing. Avoid the sun like your a vampire! My skin started to turn back to its normal color but after spending about 10 minutes in the sun on a cloudy day... the pinkness came back with vengeance that night.

MemberMember
(@dragonn)

Posted : 12/12/2012 2:22 am

Hey Inspired, congrats on the treatment! Your results look awesome so far! surprised.gif I'm sure they'll just continue to get better.

I hate to get technical, but you mentioned you're hoping for plumping on your remaining scars. Is that to say some of the shallower ones have disappeared?

Many people say that their shallower scars are erased and then some also say that every scar remains but doesn't look as bad.

Just wondering! Don't want to get my hopes up too high when I start treatments.

MemberMember
(@fruitbiscuits)

Posted : 12/12/2012 8:47 am

I am glad to see you don't have hyper-pigmintation issue so far! Make sure to wear a thick layer of sunblocks :)

MemberMember
(@austra)

Posted : 12/12/2012 10:40 am

I'm surprised by how beautiful your skin looks like after the peeling. I thought it would be much more red than this. Looking very promising so far!

MemberMember
(@tokyogirl)

Posted : 12/12/2012 10:45 am

Hey Inspired, congrats on the treatment! Your results look awesome so far! surprised.gif I'm sure they'll just continue to get better.

I hate to get technical, but you mentioned you're hoping for plumping on your remaining scars. Is that to say some of the shallower ones have disappeared?

Many people say that their shallower scars are erased and then some also say that every scar remains but doesn't look as bad.

Just wondering! Don't want to get my hopes up too high when I start treatments.

I sure hope my results continue to improve, and appreciate your comment! Thank you

At the moment, I can barely see my large pores in some areas, as well as some of my shallow scars. However, it's too soon to judge results. It's only been 8 days. My skin still has micro-swelling. It's probably going to be a few more weeks before my skin settles and starts to show actual improvement. Based on my prior experience, I know it can take up to 3 months before my final results start to surface. Unfortunately, collagen really does take time to remodel/rebuild.

Every doctor has told me that I can only expect improvement, and my skin will never be smooth because my scars can't be erased. I did previously have some scars improve to a point that they no longer bother me, but they're definitely not erased. Those scars were treated again this time, so it will be interesting to see what happens with them. If I ever have a boxcar or ice pick vanish, I'll be sure to post about it! smile.png

@CollegeBoy & FruitBiscuits,

I will definitely be living like a vampire over the next couple weeks, and wearing good sunblock. I made the mistake of going out last night though. The sun was completely down. I didn't realize my skin would be sensitive to fresh air (well, as fresh as the air gets in Los Angeles). When I came home, I noticed my cheeks were bright pink where the laser hit the hardest. Unfortunately, as of this morning, they are still bright pink with a square pattern over just my cheeks. You can see the square pattern in my photos but it's a bit worse now. I'm not too sure what to make of this, but I regret leaving my house, at all. sad.png I don't think I'll leave again until my post-op appointment on Friday.

CollegeBoy, Was your skin extremely sensitive to just about everything?

MemberMember
(@alexwong)

Posted : 12/12/2012 2:46 pm

You're looking good TokyoGirl. Do you still plan on continuing with another total fx treatment in the future? I think you might diminish those scars even further to the point where they are barely noticeable. Also, how many weeks did you take off work to recover? I plan on having mine next year but don't know how many weeks I would need to take off to let my skin heal.

Also, I've recently quit smoking. How long do you think I should wait until I get the treatment?

Good luck.

MemberMember
(@tokyogirl)

Posted : 12/12/2012 3:05 pm

I'm quite surprised by the intensity of the pain! I don't know how well I could take it, but right now I feel so tempted to take the same route as you have when I get the chance.

I was VERY surprised by the intensity of the pain as well. Deep FX was like someone snapping a rubber band against my face. It was tolerable. Active FX was like having a group of wasps sting one small section of my face at once. The group would then re-position to an adjacent section, every other second, and attack all over again. I can't think of any other way to describe it. I was heavily drugged too. I don't know how some people get through the procedure with just numbing cream and an oral painkiller. My doctor actually told me that he realized how painful the procedure was once he had it done to himself. That's why he gives a Demerol shot, Lidocaine shots in the face & mouth, Xanax and an oral painkiller, at once.

I didn't mention this earlier but I probably should mention it so that people know, you need a driver after such an aggressive procedure! I ended up delusional & sick from the drugs & pain. When my mom showed up, I was able to walk to the car and interact normally with the clinic's staff, but I was also laughing a lot despite feeling some pain. I also laughed and cussed my way through the whole Active FX procedure. Once I stepped outside, my face started to burn. By the time we were on the highway, my face literally felt like it was on fire. I sprayed thermal spring water on it every few minutes, hoping to stop the pain. When I finally got home, it was around 10:00 pm. My face was still burning and I began to feel sick. I went straight to bed. I then woke up shortly before 5am in the morning, extremely thirsty & delusional. My face still felt like it was on fire. I walked to the kitchen, grabbed a cup and then found myself at the dining room table trying to fill my cup off the edge of the table. When I realized what I was doing, I came to my senses and filled the cup from the dispenser in the kitchen. I then took 6-7 steps towards my bedroom and passed out in the hallway. I don't think I've passed out since I was a child. I came to shortly after hitting the ground with the water spilled all over the floor. I then ran to the bathroom and puked on & off for a couple minutes. I then stumbled to my bed and fell asleep. I woke up a few hours later, and I was fine.

MemberMember
(@tokyogirl)

Posted : 12/12/2012 3:38 pm

You're looking good TokyoGirl. Do you still plan on continuing with another total fx treatment in the future? I think you might diminish those scars even further to the point where they are barely noticeable. Also, how many weeks did you take off work to recover? I plan on having mine next year but don't know how many weeks I would need to take off to let my skin heal.

Also, I've recently quit smoking. How long do you think I should wait until I get the treatment?

Good luck.

Hi Alex,

I was wondering what happened to you. I am really happy to see you're still around, and haven't given up hope. :)

I may do another Total FX treatment. I am going to re-evaluate in 6 months and make my decision at that time.

I used to have a couple businesses online and worked from home in Japan. I took a break from that about 1.5 years ago, and started my scar treatment journey. As a result, I have the luxury of not worrying about returning to work right now. If I was working in an environment with coworkers, I would probably return after 2 weeks.

Congratulations on quitting!! My doctor told me to quit two weeks prior to my procedure. Well, I'm still struggling with that a bit but I am seriously trying!

Thank you for the luck! Best of luck to you as well.

MemberMember
(@blahblahblahblahz)

Posted : 12/13/2012 12:26 am

Wow it really sounds like you were put through the ringer. When I had Mixto, I had the numbing cream and the dental block and I still had the exact same sensation of hot rubber bands snapping against my cheeks.

I'm also beating myself up over stupidly being in direct sunlight for about 10 minutes the other day. It sucks that a mere 10 minutes of sun exposure has undone a month of living like a vampire. I have those exact same squares on my cheeks!

MemberMember
(@austra)

Posted : 12/13/2012 11:39 am

I'm quite surprised by the intensity of the pain! I don't know how well I could take it, but right now I feel so tempted to take the same route as you have when I get the chance.

I was VERY surprised by the intensity of the pain as well. Deep FX was like someone snapping a rubber band against my face. It was tolerable. Active FX was like having a group of wasps sting one small section of my face at once. The group would then re-position to an adjacent section, every other second, and attack all over again. I can't think of any other way to describe it. I was heavily drugged too. I don't know how some people get through the procedure with just numbing cream and an oral painkiller. My doctor actually told me that he realized how painful the procedure was once he had it done to himself. That's why he gives a Demerol shot, Lidocaine shots in the face & mouth, Xanax and an oral painkiller, at once.

I didn't mention this earlier but I probably should mention it so that people know, you need a driver after such an aggressive procedure! I ended up delusional & sick from the drugs & pain. When my mom showed up, I was able to walk to the car and interact normally with the clinic's staff, but I was also laughing a lot despite feeling some pain. I also laughed and cussed my way through the whole Active FX procedure. Once I stepped outside, my face started to burn. By the time we were on the highway, my face literally felt like it was on fire. I sprayed thermal spring water on it every few minutes, hoping to stop the pain. When I finally got home, it was around 10:00 pm. My face was still burning and I began to feel sick. I went straight to bed. I then woke up shortly before 5am in the morning, extremely thirsty & delusional. My face still felt like it was on fire. I walked to the kitchen, grabbed a cup and then found myself at the dining room table trying to fill my cup off the edge of the table. When I realized what I was doing, I came to my senses and filled the cup from the dispenser in the kitchen. I then took 6-7 steps towards my bedroom and passed out in the hallway. I don't think I've passed out since I was a child. I came to shortly after hitting the ground with the water spilled all over the floor. I then ran to the bathroom and puked on & off for a couple minutes. I then stumbled to my bed and fell asleep. I woke up a few hours later, and I was fine.

Wow, that's intense. sad.png It didnt occur to me you'd be in pain even after the procedure. If I get this done, I'll definitely get a driver home. Good to know!

I'd like to get a consultation some time early next year, and then possibly have the treatment done at the start of my next year's christmas holidays (which last almost a month). But before I make any decisions, I need to see how the consultation goes.

Quite scary how sensitive one's skin seems to be after this. I can't believe just going outside during the night made your skin pink, Inspired! I assumed I'd be fine without any extra concerns or just a bit of sun lotion at best, since it's so dark here in winter - but I guess I'd have to be careful as well. I wonder how long it takes before it's 'okay' to stay in the sun.

MemberMember
(@fruitbiscuits)

Posted : 12/14/2012 9:59 am

@CollegeBoy & FruitBiscuits,

I will definitely be living like a vampire over the next couple weeks, and wearing good sunblock. I made the mistake of going out last night though. The sun was completely down. I didn't realize my skin would be sensitive to fresh air (well, as fresh as the air gets in Los Angeles). When I came home, I noticed my cheeks were bright pink where the laser hit the hardest. Unfortunately, as of this morning, they are still bright pink with a square pattern over just my cheeks. You can see the square pattern in my photos but it's a bit worse now. I'm not too sure what to make of this, but I regret leaving my house, at all. sad.png I don't think I'll leave again until my post-op appointment on Friday.

CollegeBoy, Was your skin extremely sensitive to just about everything?

Wow...I am sorry to hear sad.png I hope your skin will calm down asap...maybe need some moisturizer...? It happened to me a few times, my skin was very sensitive and over dry, but I didn't apply enough moisturizer. I went outside and wind and cold weather made my skin so red and irritated for a few days...!

Maybe wear a scarf around your face when you go to see your doctor today. Be careful! comfort.gif

ZoomButt.gif

MemberMember
(@michelle-reece)

Posted : 12/15/2012 1:03 am

I'm very glad you went to a well-educated doctor, Inspired. Your post-op side effects are nowhere near as bad as those who went to a medispa (not a good idea) for laser resurfacing! Quick question: did your doctor give you a ballpark estimate on how much your scars will be improved?

MemberMember
(@cherrysoda08)

Posted : 12/15/2012 1:33 am

Original post updated...

Just took a look at your updated original post. Wow! Great photos. You've done an amazing job capturing your skin's progress during the procedure.

How is the scabbing now? I'm guessing it is all but gone...

Good luck.

Hi Alex,

I was wondering what happened to you. I am really happy to see you're still around, and haven't given up hope. smile.png

I may do another Total FX treatment. I am going to re-evaluate in 6 months and make my decision at that time.

I used to have a couple businesses online and worked from home in Japan. I took a break from that about 1.5 years ago, and started my scar treatment journey. As a result, I have the luxury of not worrying about returning to work right now. If I was working in an environment with coworkers, I would probably return after 2 weeks.

Congratulations on quitting!! My doctor told me to quit two weeks prior to my procedure. Well, I'm still struggling with that a bit but I am seriously trying!

Thank you for the luck! Best of luck to you as well.

Best of luck with quitting, *Inspired*! If I can leave the ciggies behind, then anyone can! rolleyes.gif

MemberMember
(@tokyogirl)

Posted : 12/16/2012 1:05 pm

Original post updated...

Just took a look at your updated original post. Wow! Great photos. You've done an amazing job capturing your skin's progress during the procedure.

Hey CherySoda, :)

The scabbing was all clear by day 8. I discussed this with my doctor during my post-op, and was told that it's normal after Active FX. That's why I didn't experience it previously when I only had Deep FX.

Unfortunately, hyperpigmentation has officially kicked in on my cheeks with a noticeable block pattern where Deep FX was used. I experienced this last time, but it is more severe this time because my treatment was more aggressive.

I have absolutely no hyperpigmentation forming where just Active FX was used. My skin has returned to normal in those areas.

I will update my original post regarding the above and my post-op appointment in a few days.

MemberMember
(@cherrysoda08)

Posted : 12/16/2012 4:01 pm

Original post updated...

Hey CherySoda, smile.png

The scabbing was all clear by day 8. I discussed this with my doctor during my post-op, and was told that it's normal after Active FX. That's why I didn't experience it previously when I only had Deep FX.

Unfortunately, hyperpigmentation has officially kicked in on my cheeks with a noticeable block pattern where Deep FX was used. I experienced this last time, but it is more severe this time because my treatment was more aggressive.

I have absolutely no hyperpigmentation forming where just Active FX was used. My skin has returned to normal in those areas.

I will update my original post regarding the above and my post-op appointment in a few days.

Looking forward to more updates from you. So, what do you do about the hyperpigmented areas? Wait it out until they fade?

MemberMember
(@tokyogirl)

Posted : 12/16/2012 10:02 pm

Looking forward to more updates from you. So, what do you do about the hyperpigmented areas? Wait it out until they fade?

Thanks for the support, CherrySoda! I appreciate it. :)

I am currently using the Cicalfate Restorative Skin Cream and will continue with that until the redness subsides.

I restart the pre-op creams with hydroquinone (Glytone SunVanish & Glytone Clarifying creams) tomorrow morning. I can't wait to start! The tan blocks that are now surfacing look ridiculous. Unfortunately, I can't use an exfoliant until it's been 30 days, so there's no speeding the cell turnover rate for another couple weeks. I definitely don't mind temporary hyperpigmentation though. I am hoping for permanent scar improvement! :)

MemberMember
(@cherrysoda08)

Posted : 12/17/2012 1:13 pm

Thanks for the support, CherrySoda! I appreciate it. smile.png

I am currently using the Cicalfate Restorative Skin Cream and will continue with that until the redness subsides.

I restart the pre-op creams with hydroquinone (Glytone SunVanish & Glytone Clarifying creams) tomorrow morning. I can't wait to start! The tan blocks that are now surfacing look ridiculous. Unfortunately, I can't use an exfoliant until it's been 30 days, so there's no speeding the cell turnover rate for another couple weeks. I definitely don't mind temporary hyperpigmentation though. I am hoping for permanent scar improvement! smile.png

Looking forward to more updates from you! Best of luck with your healing.

MemberMember
(@tokyogirl)

Posted : 12/17/2012 4:38 pm

Original post updated.

MemberMember
(@jbird12)

Posted : 12/17/2012 5:24 pm

Sorry to hear about your hyperpigmentation. I'm still dealing with some redness myself 4+ weeks out. Hang in there!

MemberMember
(@tokyogirl)

Posted : 12/17/2012 9:38 pm

I bought Oxygenetix from my doctor's clinic today:

http://www.oxygenetix.com/index.php

Hoping this stuff really works as advertised. Unfortunately, my existing powder simply isn't cutting it as a concealer. I will post a review once I actually use the foundation. It's currently in the mail, and should be here in a couple days.

If anyone has used Oxygenetix and can offer me any tips, please share. Thanks!

MemberMember
(@michi31)

Posted : 12/18/2012 9:19 am

Hey there. I've been following your thread and want to wish you the best of luck. So did the doctor say it is ok to wear makeup already? What do you use to take it off? I would suggest asking him about the makeup and they may have suggestions as well!

MemberMember
(@tokyogirl)

Posted : 12/18/2012 4:57 pm

Hey there. I've been following your thread and want to wish you the best of luck. So did the doctor say it is ok to wear makeup already? What do you use to take it off? I would suggest asking him about the makeup and they may have suggestions as well!

Thank you, michi31! I appreciate your support. I really do hope I get some additional improvement from this treatment.

My doctor recommended Oxygenetix. It is a foundation that's made for post-laser/post-surgery use. It supposedly promotes healing while also providing good coverage of scars and hyperpigmentation. I was hesitant to buy it at first because it's very expensive. Unfortunately, my hyperpigmentation is so obvious at this point that I need something to conceal it.

I went to my post-op appointment wearing Bare Minerals. Big mistake! I guess I shouldn't have been wearing mineral makeup at that point. It really irritated my skin, even though I only had it on for a couple hours. My doctor immediately removed it from my face using Cetaphil when I arrived. He seemed a bit annoyed that I was wearing makeup at my post-op because he couldn't examine my skin, and I was wearing a brand that was not recommended to me. I walked out of my post-op looking pretty silly with red and brown blocks all over my cheeks and scattered around my face. I wonder what the people in the lobby thought. Lol! I haven't worn any makeup since my appointment but am also doing my best to stay indoors, far from the public. Not a fun way to spend the holiday season. Wish I was out shopping!

I will call my doctor's assistant once I receive Oxygenetix and ask for advice. Thanks for the suggestion.

---------

I have to make a correction to what I previously said about my laser settings. I clarified the details during my post-op. My doctor used the following settings:

Deep FX - 15% density @ 20 mj

Active FX - Setting 3 which is 60% density. The maximum setting for Active FX is 6.

He was more aggressive with Deep FX than originally planned and used a moderate setting with Active FX. Overall, the settings are considered fairly aggressive for acne scar treatment. Hoping this means, I'll end up with even better results this time around.