Notifications
Clear all

Will Saline Injections work on Hypertropic Scars?

MemberMember
(@2001)

Posted : 09/08/2011 10:43 pm

I got tons of 09% Medical Grade Sodium Chloride here (#$%^ stoked!!!!)

I will brave some self scar treatments this Monday. I don't want to look like crap this weekend :)

I know they work well for depressed scars, but I am unable to find any info related to Hypertropic scars. I have a few on my nose from a cigarette lighter prank my friend pulled on me.

Has anyone here tried it on these types of scars. Did it work or did it make them worse.

MemberMember
(@brawn)

Posted : 09/09/2011 5:28 am

nope

dont even work well for depressed scars

it raises depressed scars, so if anything, it'll raise hypertrophic scars

MemberMember
(@dc-girl-3)

Posted : 01/01/2013 4:26 pm

nope

dont even work well for depressed scars

it raises depressed scars, so if anything, it'll raise hypertrophic scars

Not sure why you would say that; there have been lots of good reports on improvement in atrophic scars from Dr Sire's patients.

MemberMember
(@brawn)

Posted : 01/02/2013 9:32 am

because saline is nacl (normal table salt) and water, the salt is used to sterilize the water; saline is often used as a control in experiments testing the efficacy of another chemical. this control is used to induce no effect

when people mention saline, they are usually referring to low concentration saline that is pretty much equivalent to injecting water

there is high concentration saline that can cause tissue necrosis, and i suppose destroy hypertrophic scars. however, there is a reason physicians do not use this, perhaps it has to do with problems with localizing the saline to the hypertrophic tissue, or perhaps it just doesn't work.

regardless, physicians will opt for corticosteroid injections to depress hypertrophic scars

MemberMember
(@dc-girl-3)

Posted : 01/03/2013 5:36 pm

because saline is nacl (normal table salt) and water, the salt is used to sterilize the water; saline is often used as a control in experiments testing the efficacy of another chemical. this control is used to induce no effect

when people mention saline, they are usually referring to low concentration saline that is pretty much equivalent to injecting water

there is high concentration saline that can cause tissue necrosis, and i suppose destroy hypertrophic scars. however, there is a reason physicians do not use this, perhaps it has to do with problems with localizing the saline to the hypertrophic tissue, or perhaps it just doesn't work.

regardless, physicians will opt for corticosteroid injections to depress hypertrophic scars

Perhaps but my point is that people have reported success with this on atrophic scars so I don't think you should be saying it doesn't work well.

Here's a post for reference on that.

http://www.acne.org/saline-injections-reviews/523/page1.html

MemberMember
(@quirky-fox)

Posted : 01/07/2013 1:35 am

I honestly cannot see how saline solution would improve scars on a long term basis. I guess it's the cost factor? I mean if I were to choose a filler it certainly wouldn't be saline solution but a Hyaluronic Acid based filler. I know saline solution can help your body create collagen but surely it can't be as effective as say, Restylane... just find it curious. I guess if it works then go for it. Still wouldn't be braving home treatments though.

As for raised scars, not sure how it would help as I can't imagine the saline solution would do much for actually breaking down scar tissue. Anyone have any clinical studies they can share the link to?

MemberMember
(@tokyogirl)

Posted : 01/07/2013 2:19 am

Dr. Sire uses either saline injections or a hyaluronic acid filler as a dermal filler. He even states that here:

http://www.realself.com/question/what-best-dermal-filler-acne-scars#303530

He has published an article on his saline injection technique and specifically states that the procedure must be repeated to maintain results. Sure, some people have seen improvement after multiple treatments, but none have returned here months to a year after their final treatment and said the results were permanent.

I wrote to Dr. Sire's clinic twice just a few months ago, and asked about this procedure for leveling shallow atrophic scars, as I had read great reviews on acne.org. I made it clear in my email that I would be interested if the results were permanent. I also expressed an interest in Total FX if the laser procedure was performed by a doctor, not an assistant, at his clinic. I received absolutely no response from his office to either email.

MemberMember
(@quirky-fox)

Posted : 01/07/2013 3:43 am

A shame they didn't reply. :( Sadly I also take that as an indication of how effective a doctor's practice is. Might be silly but it's the small things like that that often draw or deter me from a business.

So I assume that the saline injections are much more cost effective? The thing is that I am all for temporary fillers and the thought of having to go back regularly for touch-ups is fine with me. The price you pay for good skin. But I'd only look into something like saline injections if they are as safe and effective as a Hyaluronic Acid based filler. If they're more cost effective but don't last as long, so be it.

Kinda interested in learning more now. :D

MemberMember
(@tokyogirl)

Posted : 01/07/2013 4:29 am

Considering the size of his practice, I was surprised when they didn't respond. I was hoping to schedule a consultation. Perhaps, they didn't appreciate my questions. Looking at his clinic's site, it appears most of the work is pushed off to assistants now. I made it clear that I only wanted to be treated by a doctor.

Here's an article on his technique:

http://digital.healt...php?startid=S24

http://digital.healt...php?startid=S26

Saline is definitely more cost-effective but I think a Hyaluronic Acid based filler would provide better, longer lasting results. Unfortunately, there are not many doctors practicing the procedure and there have been no real studies. As a result, it's hard to say if it's truly effective. According to his article, results last 1-2 years after a series of injections. I'm not sure I believe it lasts that long. I understand some people do get a certain level of permanent improvement from HA fillers, so it's possible saline injections could work the same way. However, he has never claimed the results are permanent, and says "booster" injections are required to maintain results. I've only read on this forum that results are permanent.

If you search the forum, I am sure you can find many posts on this topic as it was quite popular on this board a few years ago. A lot of people were treating their scars at home.

MemberMember
(@blahblahblahblahz)

Posted : 01/08/2013 4:49 am

The saline injections are not a replacement for dermal fillers. It is not meant to be used as a dermal filler, but as another method of subcision, or undermining of tethered scars. The saline is injected into the scar, forming a bleb, and this is meant to rupture the tethers similar to subcision. Saline in the body is metabolized within a day, so this would have no use as a dermal filler. This procedure has VERY limited uses, and if you do a little digging, they will tell you outright that it only works on the most minor atrophic scars.

Another doctor, Dr. Behnam in LA also performs this procedure which you can read about on his website. Personally I think saline injections are gimmicky at best.

http://santamonicaskin.com/subcision.html

MemberMember
(@dc-girl-3)

Posted : 01/08/2013 5:43 pm

The saline injections are not a replacement for dermal fillers. It is not meant to be used as a dermal filler, but as another method of subcision, or undermining of tethered scars. The saline is injected into the scar, forming a bleb, and this is meant to rupture the tethers similar to subcision. Saline in the body is metabolized within a day, so this would have no use as a dermal filler. This procedure has VERY limited uses, and if you do a little digging, they will tell you outright that it only works on the most minor atrophic scars.

Another doctor, Dr. Behnam in LA also performs this procedure which you can read about on his website. Personally I think saline injections are gimmicky at best.

http://santamonicask.../subcision.html

Maybe the benefit people have raved about from Saline is from the subcision effect.............. and probably some eventual clearing of minutes amount of calcium from the scar from the saline.

MemberMember
(@tokyogirl)

Posted : 01/08/2013 7:59 pm

http://santamonicask.../subcision.html

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply saline is a replacement for dermal fillers. Dr. Sire uses this technique instead of a dermal filler on shallow atrophic scars. Obviously, the saline is absorbed by the body pretty quickly, and the hope is a bleb is created during injection that will plump up the scar. He does claim it is more cost-effective than dermal fillers, and the results last longer, if the scar responds.

I know Dr. Behnam does the procedure as well. I have consulted with him and have discussed it with him. He told he was personally trained by Dr. Sire on the technique.