Notifications
Clear all

Will Retin-A help heal my scars?

MemberMember
(@ylem)

Posted : 01/07/2010 1:51 pm

Does anyone know if the generic brand or the actual Retin A will be better for scars? I just called my pharmacy and with my insurance the copay is only $10 for the generic and a whopping $76 for the real stuff!

MemberMember
(@tj101)

Posted : 01/08/2010 2:00 am

I didn't have any scars before using Retin-A.

I started using it to help clear red marks and prevent future acne break outs.

Don't know if it's just coincidence, but after using it I started getting pitted scars and whenever I got a new zit it would leave scar. I had never gotten a scar from acne before using Retin-A.

MemberMember
(@acnepwns)

Posted : 01/08/2010 3:06 am

Has anybody here used retin-a without experiencing an initial breakout?

MemberMember
(@thx)

Posted : 01/08/2010 9:45 am

Has anybody here used retin-a without experiencing an initial breakout?

I did not experience an IB, but probably only because I had my acne entirely under control when I used it. (topical antibiotics).

MemberMember
(@ylem)

Posted : 01/08/2010 10:26 am

I didn't have any scars before using Retin-A.

I started using it to help clear red marks and prevent future acne break outs.

Don't know if it's just coincidence, but after using it I started getting pitted scars and whenever I got a new zit it would leave scar. I had never gotten a scar from acne before using Retin-A.

Some other user on here posted about the same thing. I think this is related to the 'swiss cheese effect' like underground, tunneled scars that are really there just not visible until you slough off the top skin layers. That is why when I use this, I am concentrating only on the scarred areas instead of putting it on all over my face. However, if I were you, I would continue to use it only on the areas where you experienced scars. It is probably going through and removing your skin layers like dermabrasion. People have expereinced new scarring with dermbrasion too due to this effect. I know this may sound crazy to you, but may show retin A to have a tremendous effect on the skin.

FYI I bought Retin A Micro, which with my crappy insurance I still paid $148 for :( I hope it works on my severe scarring! Apprently, there is a regular retin A, a generic brand and the top of the line Micro.

MemberMember
(@tj101)

Posted : 01/08/2010 1:00 pm

Yes, I heard about the 'swiss cheese effect' before, not sure if it was you who mentioned it.

That's possible, but if I had known I would have never used it, I'd be happy with having 'underground/tunneled' scars that don't show up all.

Also, it doesn't really explain why skin is so prone to scarring after using it. Before using it I would never get a scar from a zit, even if it was a big cystic type one. After using it seems every single pimple would leave a scar. :(

MemberMember
(@ylem)

Posted : 01/08/2010 8:13 pm

Yes, I heard about the 'swiss cheese effect' before, not sure if it was you who mentioned it.

That's possible, but if I had known I would have never used it, I'd be happy with having 'underground/tunneled' scars that don't show up all.

Also, it doesn't really explain why skin is so prone to scarring after using it. Before using it I would never get a scar from a zit, even if it was a big cystic type one. After using it seems every single pimple would leave a scar. :(

Not sure about Retin A's effect on skin healing but I can tell you that I have scarred from every pimple before I even started using it. I used to think accutane messed up my skin's healing, but I can remember way back when I started with temple scars before going on accutane. I've had some degree of scarring since a very early age (14 or 15). It wasn't until I reached 19 that it turned severe.

It was another poster who commented on the 'swiss cheese effect'

Anyway, my scarring is probably more severe than yours. I have very bad scarring, so I am desperate for some more improvement.

MemberMember
(@ylem)

Posted : 01/08/2010 8:33 pm

Here are two bad reviews on Retin A and its effect on pitted scarring:

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/Retinoids...sc-t221679.html

http://www.realself.com/question/does-reti...work-acne-scars

One is from actual MD's and the other from actual users on the boards. I feel like returning this stuff I paid $148 for :(

MemberMember
(@mebe)

Posted : 01/08/2010 11:57 pm

I personally got bouts of inflammation from retin a. I stopped using it last summer when it made me red hot and I began to break out with inflamed lesions.

MemberMember
(@tj101)

Posted : 01/10/2010 10:55 pm

One is from actual MD's and the other from actual users on the boards. I feel like returning this stuff I paid $148 for :(

I also bought the Retin-A Micro a few years ago, but I ordered online from Canada and paid like $40 to $50, I can't really remember.

I also had previously ordered online from Mexico a Retin-A cream and a gel (paid like $30 each).

They worked about the same.

Everything having to do with health is so overpriced in the U.S.

A lot of people living close to the border cross to Mexico or Canada to buy medications and save a lot.

MemberMember
(@acnepwns)

Posted : 01/10/2010 11:45 pm

Does anyone know if the generic brand or the actual Retin A will be better for scars? I just called my pharmacy and with my insurance the copay is only $10 for the generic and a whopping $76 for the real stuff!

I bought my tube of brand name Retin-A from Canada Pharmacy for like $30-$35 shipped. They also have generic for $5-$10 cheaper. Just get a prescription and fax it to Canada Pharmacy after you order it. Shipping takes like 2 weeks to the US after you fax your prescription over.

I've been hesitant of using it because Im afraid of the initial breakout since I still have some active acne... More breakout = more scars

MemberMember
(@ylem)

Posted : 01/11/2010 12:38 am

I also bought the Retin-A Micro a few years ago, but I ordered online from Canada and paid like $40 to $50, I can't really remember.

I also had previously ordered online from Mexico a Retin-A cream and a gel (paid like $30 each).

They worked about the same.

Everything having to do with health is so overpriced in the U.S.

A lot of people living close to the border cross to Mexico or Canada to buy medications and save a lot.

Damn, forgot about this. Too late now, I guess.

MemberMember
(@macbeth)

Posted : 05/07/2010 12:09 pm

im so glad acne hasnt done this to me - i wish i could help you but i havent got a clue..

MemberMember
(@lovegreensmoothies)

Posted : 05/08/2010 12:51 pm

I think it's good for scarring. It won't get rid of them, but it makes them look a lot better. Like others said, it may make them look worse at first.

I think it's good to use for scars if you don't break out from it or are done getting breakouts, because if you break out on it, you will most likely scar because your skin is so fragile. It's accutane for the skin. I scarred on it, because I never stopped breaking out on it. I went on it for acne.

I was on RAM. I think I used waaaay too much. Seriously only use the pea sized amount or you will get so much irritation. It doesn't make it work better, either.

I am actually thinking of trying it again -- I can't believe I am, because it did make me break out, so I got more scars. But it is good for texture and lines, so I may try it again. I will be using one in a cream base and not RAM or any gel based, because I had the most irritated dry skin ever when I used the gel. I probably won't start it until after the summer, because I want to get some sun this year. I am sick of staying inside all summer for my stupid (already ruined by scars anyway) skin. I am going to live my life like a normal person this summer, damn it. :)

MemberMember
(@lameleah)

Posted : 08/21/2010 9:56 pm

will OTC retinoid product do the same thing? will retinoid stop working after applying it for a certain period of time coz your skin might have adapted to it?

ty

MemberMember
(@samburgess17)

Posted : 07/25/2013 12:49 am

It doesnt help heal scars per say, but it gets rid of them. You can only use a little every other day or so. Don't use it everyday or you run the risk of "burning" the skin which will cause more scarring. Retin-A will dry out the skin and start to peel it. the peeling is what takes off the scars. I used to have really bad acne scars seeing as i picked at the acne constantly, but the retin-A took all of them away

MemberMember
(@texasmom)

Posted : 07/28/2013 7:32 pm

This is my 2nd post on this site. My 24 year old had severe cystic acne, (now gone), which left him with a face full of ice pick and rolling scars. Nothing helped and I was disheartened.

This summer, after spending numerous weekends in the Texas sun, his scars are 90% gone. They are so faint as you would have to know that they were there. I think that what happenned was that the sun gave him tons of Vitamin D and that's what did it.

I read on this forum when my son had raging acne (age 16-21), that some people's acne was better in Summer. Just thought I'd add this to your list of things to try.