Notifications
Clear all

[Sticky] Scarless Healing

MemberMember
(@golfpanther)

Posted : 02/24/2014 4:21 pm

Hi Golfpanther bro yes i have read that it works very well on scarring ... i didn't think it'd work on something like 3rd degree burns wow ! ... thank you amigo .... there will be a cure one day bro .... there's too much money involved man ... think of the economy how it would benefit that ! ... like i said medical science is advancing everyday !

No worries! Recell isn't perfect for 3rd degree burns but does show improvement (they have some case studies on their website of pretty horrific burn scars that received at least some improvement after Recell).

I think a cure is inevitable as well for similar reasons to the ones you mentioned. It'll happen!

MemberMember
(@binga)

Posted : 02/26/2014 12:46 am

Its about time that stem cells heal acne scars. Not sure why it is not happening.

http://www.travisshawmd.com/blog/scar-treatment-using-stem-cells/

This doctor actually uses dermapen with prp and acell. Should give good results.

http://www.travisshawmd.com/procedures-cosmetic-scar-removal.php

MemberMember
(@binga)
MemberMember
(@michelle-reece)

Posted : 03/01/2014 2:43 am

Its about time that stem cells heal acne scars. Not sure why it is not happening.

This doctor actually uses dermapen with prp and acell. Should give good results.

It's very expensive and very time consuming, which is why it's not as widespread as it is. Cost, IIRC, is $3000-$5000 for a few injections. It takes a few months for the stem cells to sufficiently grow, and it's costly storage. It takes about 6 months to a year to fully see results (like with any potential stem cell treatment; it's a known downside to osteoarthritis regeneration).

Compared to lasers/light treatments and chemical peels, they are more cost-effective for now.

Also, people not using sun protection as often as they should would delay or decrease the effectiveness of the treatment.

Maybe it'll be cheaper within a decade. Difficult to say, really, with the rate of improvement in technology and how interested pharmaceutical companies are in it.

MemberMember
(@binga)

Posted : 03/01/2014 4:05 am

It's very expensive and very time consuming, which is why it's not as widespread as it is. Cost, IIRC, is $3000-$5000 for a few injections. It takes a few months for the stem cells to sufficiently grow, and it's costly storage. It takes about 6 months to a year to fully see results (like with any potential stem cell treatment; it's a known downside to osteoarthritis regeneration).

Compared to lasers/light treatments and chemical peels, they are more cost-effective for now.

Also, people not using sun protection as often as they should would delay or decrease the effectiveness of the treatment.

Maybe it'll be cheaper within a decade. Difficult to say, really, with the rate of improvement in technology and how interested pharmaceutical companies are in it.

I think you are talking about Laviv. This is acell which is a stem cell powder. They are already using it in the military.

MemberMember
(@michelle-reece)

Posted : 03/01/2014 5:03 pm

I think you are talking about Laviv. This is acell which is a stem cell powder. They are already using it in the military.

Do you know what kind of stem cells specifically ACell is providing/has provided?

MemberMember
(@binga)

Posted : 03/01/2014 6:12 pm

Do you know what kind of stem cells specifically ACell is providing/has provided?

http://www.acell.com/matristem-info.html

MemberMember
(@michelle-reece)

Posted : 03/01/2014 6:13 pm

http://www.acell.com/matristem-info.html

It says "article not found". :(

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 03/05/2014 10:24 pm

Ugh! I'm so tired of WAITING. If the hydrogel works on larger animals just test it on humans and then put it into the market it's really not that complicated. FDA regulations are so ridiculous.

MemberMember
(@binga)

Posted : 03/06/2014 4:12 am

Ugh! I'm so tired of WAITING. If the hydrogel works on larger animals just test it on humans and then put it into the market it's really not that complicated. FDA regulations are so ridiculous.

Current treatments already give 90%. Start treating instead of waiting for hydrogel.

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 03/06/2014 6:21 pm

Current treatments already give 90%. Start treating instead of waiting for hydrogel.

Trust me, current treatments do NOT give 90% you're luck if you even notice any difference at all.

MemberMember
(@whattobehandsome30)

Posted : 03/09/2014 2:13 pm

Trust me, current treatments do NOT give 90% you're luck if you even notice any difference at all.

This Dextrax hydrogel is said to give complete regeneration to a wound .... improvement is one thing ... but to have total regeneration is a cure basically ....

MemberMember
(@enoughisenough29)

Posted : 03/14/2014 8:55 am

I dont buy into this. Im skeptical. I cannot foresee this as creating perfect skin ( see I have areas of my face which are perfect). I look in the mirror and I think to myself.all these scarred pores and old scars embedded in my inner cheek along with ruddyness will go once I do an ablative treatment and put detran hydrogel on it, and the skin will look like it did before all the scars and pigment issues. No ruddyness or scars. I dont see it. Sorry to be a downer but until there are photos which show something concrete and consistent I say dream on.

MemberMember
(@binga)

Posted : 03/14/2014 9:37 am

I dont buy into this. Im skeptical. I cannot foresee this as creating perfect skin ( see I have areas of my face which are perfect). I look in the mirror and I think to myself.all these scarred pores and old scars embedded in my inner cheek along with ruddyness will go once I do an ablative treatment and put detran hydrogel on it, and the skin will look like it did before all the scars and pigment issues. No ruddyness or scars. I dont see it. Sorry to be a downer but until there are photos which show something concrete and consistent I say dream on.

There is already something for the bones don't see why it won't happen for skin. http://www.independent.ie/business/technology/magic-organic-patch-mends-bone-cartilage-29740984.html

MemberMember
(@enoughisenough29)

Posted : 03/14/2014 9:59 am

Yes but are we talking about clinical improvement over aesthetic?

Find a patch of skin on your face which is clear scarless and your normal skin tone. Do you really think hydrogel can do that for your entire face?

This thread is an indicator that there is a lot of huff and puff but no real solution.

MemberMember
(@seabs135)

Posted : 03/14/2014 11:35 am

Enoughisenough

The science, which can be tested, tested and tested, brought complete regeneration when tested against a reliable control. The control behaved typically.

MemberMember
(@enoughisenough29)

Posted : 03/14/2014 11:53 am

Enoughisenough

The science, which can be tested, tested and tested, brought complete regeneration when tested against a reliable control. The control behaved typically.

So what was once scarred ruddy/blochty skin becomes aestheticaly flawless?..sounds like a miracle. I'll wait for photos. Its exciting but I hope it lives up to the claim. total regeneration i hope actually means that.

MemberMember
(@seabs135)

Posted : 03/14/2014 12:50 pm

Enoughisenough, I responded to your comment were you, ironically using pov, used the term, 'huff and puff' with regards to something that has scientific expectancy. I know this is boring sticking to the expectancy, but the hydrogel got complete regeneration from a third degree burn, the control behaved as normal.

Enoughisenough

So what was once scarred ruddy/blochty skin becomes aestheticaly flawless?..sounds like a miracle. I'll wait for photos. Its exciting but I hope it lives up to the claim. total regeneration i hope actually means that.

MemberMember
(@enoughisenough29)

Posted : 03/14/2014 1:28 pm

Enoughisenough, I responded to your comment were you, ironically using pov, used the term, 'huff and puff' with regards to something that has scientific expectancy. I know this is boring sticking to the expectancy, but the hydrogel got complete regeneration from a third degree burn, the control behaved as normal.

Enoughisenough

Clinically perhaps. Aesthetically is where my questioning is coming into play. Seab135 you have quoted many positive things over the past 5 years plus on this thread. comments similar to these and its all fizzled. lets see if this actualy IS not just clinical regeneration but also aesthetic

look at the clearest part of your skin in a photo. An area with no scars or discoloration whatsoever. cut it out and paste it next to the worst area of your skin in a high quality camera in revealing shadow lighting.

if that can be transformed into the cut out section then I'll be very very surprised.

MemberMember
(@seabs135)

Posted : 03/14/2014 4:12 pm

Enoughisenough, all I do on the board is state the expectancy of the science with regards to the topic scar free healing; if the expectancy is high then imo it is justified that anyone should highlight it for the sake of common knowledge and being progressive. Btw I know it can sometimes look like I'm being rude, but I'm now genuinely not interested in wasting any time on anything else, and I try to draw myself away from speculation, or anything that withdraws from scar free healing. When you have been around, you can almost predict how the thread goes, it repeats itself...

Positivity? This is not about gut positivity or negativity; if you like, and I've used this analogy before, it is like following a map using evidence to be progressive and that is all. Also I'm confused by how you compare aesthetic and clinical? Surely if something is clinically proven to be something then it is proven to be something and that doesn't change?

Enoughisenough

Clinically perhaps. Aesthetically is where my questioning is coming into play. Seab135 you have quoted many positive things over the past 5 years plus on this thread. comments similar to these and its all fizzled. lets see if this actualy IS not just clinical regeneration but also aesthetic

look at the clearest part of your skin in a photo. An area with no scars or discoloration whatsoever. cut it out and paste it next to the worst area of your skin in a high quality camera in revealing shadow lighting.

if that can be transformed into the cut out section then I'll be very very surprised.

MemberMember
(@golfpanther)

Posted : 03/14/2014 4:26 pm

Enoughisenough

I think you're misusing terminology a bit. In mice, the dextran hydrogel when applied to a third degree burn injury site resulted in complete regeneration with skin that had the same skin morphology as normal tissue prior to the injury. That's clinical and aesthetic, because you can't really improve upon skin that's undamaged. And even if you theoretically could it would come down to subjective analysis, which would vary greatly.

I think what you're trying say is that you'll wait to see it used on people, which is fair enough. None of us know for certain that it will transition from pre-clinical trials like it's in now to clinical trials on humans and have the same success rate. But if it does result in the same complete regeneration in humans as it did in mice than any there wouldn't be a difference between the clinical and aesthetic applications. Complete regeneration with same skin morphology is exactly what it sounds like; your skin would be back to the same cross-weave pattern your undamaged skin enjoys.

MemberMember
(@lapis-lazuli)

Posted : 03/14/2014 5:22 pm

Ablative laser wouldn't do the trick. You'd have to have the affected/scarred skin actually removed...and then use the gel.

I don't know if the below has already been posted but there it is. It's from the Facebook page.

Thanks to Dextran Hydrogel Investor George Davis I am able to clarify some of the many questions i have been receiving about the latest article in JHUs Fast Forward.

http://engineering.jhu.edu/ fastforward/2014/01/14/betting-on-healing-hydrogels/

George Davis is quoted in Fast Forward saying (in regards to large companies dominating the wound care market) The key is pricing the product right, ...And we think we can do that.

I asked him if the Hydrogel were to be successful in regenerating the full appendages of the skin without scar formation, why would it need to be priced appropriately to compete?

He replied

"In any business, the process and ability to build cost effective products that allow for receptively priced solutions is a standard objective of which all should eventually benefit. To that end, I was trying to convey that we anticipate that the Dextran Hydrogel solution for Wound healing, as currently configured in our research and development efforts , should not have any major roadblocks associated with market affordability. Our focus remains on developing the best therapeutic solution we can, while making sure it passes the required tests associated with FDA regulatory approvals and market costs necessary to make sure it matures to an approved and accepted clinical product as soon as possible."

The article also says "Eventually, the startup plans to look at developing stem cell-based products for wound healing, gearing up toward a broader focus on tissue engineering."

I asked if the Hydrogel was successful it would be huge in itself, why the focus on other wound healing products and tissue engineering?

He replied

"With regard to on-going development of stem cell and tissue engineering technologies, we are committed to the research and development of potentially several generations of game changing therapeutic solutions that includes the wound healing hydrogels as a foundation, while also addressing longer term needs for cell therapy and regenerative medicine solutions. All potential specific therapeutic solutions will gain from the benefits of advancing our foundation technologies. Be assured that we have a tremendous amount of focus on the base Dextran Hydrogel solution and near term research and pending animal and human trials are all associated with the Hydrogel."

I hope this helps answer all of your questions!

MemberMember
(@enoughisenough29)

Posted : 03/14/2014 6:21 pm

Ablative laser wouldn't do the trick. You'd have to have the affected/scarred skin actually removed...and then use the gel.

I don't know if the below has already been posted but there it is. It's from the Facebook page.

Thanks to Dextran Hydrogel Investor George Davis I am able to clarify some of the many questions i have been receiving about the latest article in JHUs Fast Forward. http://engineering.jhu.edu/fastforward/2014/01/14/betting-on-healing-hydrogels/

George Davis is quoted in Fast Forward saying (in regards to large companies dominating the wound care market) The key is pricing the product right, ...And we think we can do that.

I asked him if the Hydrogel were to be successful in regenerating the full appendages of the skin without scar formation, why would it need to be priced appropriately to compete?

He replied

"In any business, the process and ability to build cost effective products that allow for receptively priced solutions is a standard objective of which all should eventually benefit. To that end, I was trying to convey that we anticipate that the Dextran Hydrogel solution for Wound healing, as currently configured in our research and development efforts , should not have any major roadblocks associated with market affordability. Our focus remains on developing the best therapeutic solution we can, while making sure it passes the required tests associated with FDA regulatory approvals and market costs necessary to make sure it matures to an approved and accepted clinical product as soon as possible."

The article also says "Eventually, the startup plans to look at developing stem cell-based products for wound healing, gearing up toward a broader focus on tissue engineering."

I asked if the Hydrogel was successful it would be huge in itself, why the focus on other wound healing products and tissue engineering?

He replied

"With regard to on-going development of stem cell and tissue engineering technologies, we are committed to the research and development of potentially several generations of game changing therapeutic solutions that includes the wound healing hydrogels as a foundation, while also addressing longer term needs for cell therapy and regenerative medicine solutions. All potential specific therapeutic solutions will gain from the benefits of advancing our foundation technologies. Be assured that we have a tremendous amount of focus on the base Dextran Hydrogel solution and near term research and pending animal and human trials are all associated with the Hydrogel."

I hope this helps answer all of your questions!

Look if thats the case there is no way id cut out a palms worth of my face and i dont think anyone here would unless the results are utterly magical and consistent.

Think about the emotional trauma of cutting out half your face. Unless there are photos for acne scars showing perfect regeneration of pigmentationtone and texture i would plead with anyone thinking of cutting out huge portions of there face to not be so stupid.

MemberMember
(@enoughisenough29)

Posted : 03/14/2014 7:50 pm

i dont see why a laser like scaar fx which goes down to 4 mm could not be used. wouldnt the hydrogel promote scarless healing and total tissue regeneration in the ablated tissue? This would be a lot more appealing then taking out a big chuck of skin.

MemberMember
(@lapis-lazuli)

Posted : 03/15/2014 9:02 am

Well you know, I've seen images and descriptions of the skin of the entire forearm of a burn victim being removed. Subsequently they used various treatments. So in other words, there's bigger problems that people aim to treat in the future than acne scars by which I mean that if they think they can fix those then treating acne scars isn't going to be a problem either. These doctors and scientists I'm sure will take all things they need to into consideration.

Also, I think that for some the transient experience of surgery is worth having a scarless future. The amount of suffering and distress caused by an entire life of having acne scars is worse than going through three unpleasant weeks which you know will end.

But I don't think you'd have to have a palm's worth of skin removed. It doesn't really make sense to remove perfectly fine skin. I think there's such a thing as punch grafts where they have a technique to remove small areas of skin. Sort of the size of a fingertip or smaller. So I think it would be more along the lines of that in the case of acne scars instead of a huge wound that's made. But like I said, even large wounds will be treated in the future so that they can heal properly. The limits as to what they'll be able to do in the future seem to be basically non-existent so all these things you're worrying about I'm sure they'll find an answer to at some point down the line.