Notifications
Clear all

dermabrasion and asian skin

MemberMember
(@rockomon123)

Posted : 09/27/2006 11:24 pm

what are the opinions on here about dermabrasian on asian skin? has anybody here done dermabrasions that are asian..?

was thinking of possibly doing it, because ive heard little positive result from fraxel treatments from many posters on here. thanks

MemberMember
(@djt)

Posted : 09/28/2006 12:10 am

what are the opinions on here about dermabrasian on asian skin? has anybody here done dermabrasions that are asian..?

was thinking of possibly doing it, because ive heard little positive result from fraxel treatments from many posters on here. thanks

There are mix opinions about this. Some who had it done were left with dermacration(sp)? lines that took forever to go away while others never did. It is very risky to have it done on Asian skin. You should do a search on this and find out for yourself.

MemberMember
(@keithr23)

Posted : 09/28/2006 11:30 am

Its not risky at all if u get a small spot tested. This way u will know if u will heal correctly and also the duration of downtime to expect.

I will say that EVERY person that has had pigment issues after a dermabrsaion has been asian.

The only problem would be if the little spot hjealed wrong but put it somewhere no noticable I guess.

If that does not work u could always do Fraxel treatmetns which are good for asian skin.

MemberMember
(@sword)

Posted : 09/28/2006 9:06 pm

Don't do it, expecially when you have darker skin. Dermabrasion plunged me into a world of darkness and permanent humiliation.

If your doctor:

- does not advice you against dermabrasion when you have darker skin,

- tells you non of his patients ever stuck in redness

- tells you he dermabraded hundreds of asians with no complications, except some may end up one or two shade lighter

- tells you demarcation line are not noticeable because it tucks behind and below jaw line, and will eventually blend in.

- does not warn you that you can not comb your hair back because of visible demarcation line right below hair line.

- tells you he feathers the edges of treated area to help bland in, when in fact he created a hard looking line along my jaw

- does not tell you about changing texture of your skin

- tells you post op redness discoloration can easily make undetectable with make up

- charges $4500 for a full face dermabrasion, recommend you to do full face, instead of partial

- does not mention you can do a test spot

- when you found out after the fact that everything he said was a lie, he has the nerve to tell you "you are my first patient to experience such serious complication", when in fact, numerous asian patients on this forum treated by him suffered similar fate.

then he is nothing but a lying greedy bastard. Read mine and other dermabrasion victims' story under my sig.

MemberMember
(@keithr23)

Posted : 09/28/2006 9:12 pm

Yes I have read all the bad stuff about dermabrasion and asian skin type. I have also seen several asians on here that have had very good experioences with it. I would definately test a spot though so u know what to expect.

So sorry sword I read your posts first about a year ago. Hope something amazing will happen for u.

MemberMember
(@sword)

Posted : 09/28/2006 9:21 pm

Thanks Keith.

Something amazing would be Yarborough being stopped for ruinning more peoples natural appearances.

How can you trust a character like Yarborough to realistically ambraded the test spot to show you true magnitude of damage, i.e. loss pigment, different texture, permanent redness, etc.

MemberMember
(@keithr23)

Posted : 09/29/2006 4:59 pm

Thanks Keith.

Something amazing would be Yarborough being stopped for ruinning more peoples natural appearances.

How can you trust a character like Yarborough to realistically ambraded the test spot to show you true magnitude of damage, i.e. loss pigment, different texture, permanent redness, etc.

thats what is so horrid is that he is supposed to be the best and u and several other members on here went long distances to have the procedure done by the best and got off worse than before. I cannot believe that anyone would do a dermabrasion on asian skin without spotting it first. I know there are prob more positives than negatives but EVERY member that has had a bad experience has been asian. So why would the supposed best still not tell their patients the real risks and make a spot a couple months BEFORE the full procedure a must. I would do that for all patients but especially asian patients.

U did fraxels didnt u sword? I think that was u anyway. If so how did those do for u? Okay bye.

MemberMember
(@sword)

Posted : 09/29/2006 5:38 pm

Between Nov 2004 and July 2005, Yarborough undermined lives of 4 type IV asian members here by giving us Kabuki masks. How many darker skin reported they suffered zero complications and recovered in the 3 months Yarborough told us?

How many caucasian members complained about different texture and/or additional scarring and/or persistent redness? Three at least.

The thing Yarborough is really good at, is take advantage of people's desperation to rid of their scars. People in such mindset (myself at the time included) can be extremely vulnerable to trust whatever Yarborough says, especially after reading some members describing him as kind and sincere.

From my experience, and by looking at close up pictures of others, it is hard to imagine resurfacing not ending up in different texture and color. Thats the honest observation a trusted friend gave me today.

Resurfacing destroys pigment cells, it is as simple as that. Yes there are residual melanocytes living in your pores, but the possibility of permenant pigment reduction is mountain high. (Again, Yarborough said 5% to 6% of dermabrasion patients get 1 or 2 shade lighter. What f**king BS.) Persistent redness and easy flushing are also common aftermath from all kinds of resurfacing.

MemberMember
(@prettywoman5000)

Posted : 10/11/2006 1:03 am

donot bother and do it .it is very risky .Iconsulted money dermatologist and plastic surgeons in Kuwait and out side .they advised me not to do it .

MemberMember
(@jc83-2)

Posted : 10/11/2006 5:02 pm

I am an asian, have done 6 microdermabrasions.

Did not see improvement on scar/redmark, but my derm, she said she saw improvement.

But, my face was smooth after microdermabrasions.

MemberMember
(@mz43026)

Posted : 10/11/2006 5:35 pm

I say not to try it either. Try something else less invasive especially if your an Asian decent.

MemberMember
(@jc83-2)

Posted : 10/11/2006 7:21 pm

I say not to try it either. Try something else less invasive especially if your an Asian decent.

Something less invasive like what?

MemberMember
(@mz43026)

Posted : 10/11/2006 8:26 pm

There are lot of treatments you could try that are less invasive than Dermabrasion. You should also do some reading and research on what other ppl. had to say about this procedure. I am trying punch excision for ice pick scarring and Fraxel.

MemberMember
(@kipster)

Posted : 10/12/2006 4:54 pm

Just like many who replied "Think twice before doing it". Just like Sword said it's been over a year and half

area, which had dermabrasion is still 2 tone lighter. There is definitly a distintive demarcation line between face and neck. Not a pretty site, Like many people here was desperate to get somewhat normal look skin. I reccommend looking into may "Fraxel Laser" and see if that works for you. I am asian with TYPE 4 Asian tone skin, really not the type of skin type for dermabrasion. I really regret spending $4,500 and really getting minimal results and always getting really uncomfortable when I am around a group of people. Best of Luck.

MemberMember
(@allex)

Posted : 10/12/2006 8:48 pm

I did it two years ago. didn't give much result i would say. My face remained reddish for 6 months. But now it returns to its natural color without any complications.

But in general, no result (or little). not worth the money and tha pain.

MemberMember
(@jc83-2)

Posted : 10/12/2006 9:10 pm

allex, I agree with you. Not worth the money and the PAIN.

MemberMember
(@me_isha)

Posted : 08/14/2011 6:52 am

Don't do it, expecially when you have darker skin. Dermabrasion plunged me into a world of darkness and permanent humiliation.

If your doctor:

- tells you he dermabraded hundreds of asians with no complications, except some may end up one or two shade lighter

- tells you demarcation line are not noticeable because it tucks behind and below jaw line, and will eventually blend in.

- does not warn you that you can not comb your hair back because of visible demarcation line right below hair line.

- tells you he feathers the edges of treated area to help bland in, when in fact he created a hard looking line along my jaw

- tells you post op redness discoloration can easily make undetectable with make up

- charges $4500 for a full face dermabrasion, recommend you to do full face, instead of partial

- when you found out after the fact that everything he said was a lie, he has the nerve to tell you "you are my first patient to experience such serious complication", when in fact, numerous asian patients on this forum treated by him suffered similar fate.

then he is nothing but a lying greedy bastard. Read mine and other dermabrasion victims' story under my sig.

Hi, i have Asian skin, got dermabrasion done 2years back. and im experiencing the same results:(:(:(. the texture of my skin has worsened, my treated skin is lighter plus the treated area looks like two huge patches on both my cheeks with visible lines:(. i jus want to know if there is a way i can fix it?as i want my skin back:(((((

MemberMember
(@roller)

Posted : 08/16/2011 1:51 am

I visited Dr. Obagi at his beverly hills office a few years back and he himself said dermabrasion on asian skin is highly not recommended because of the exact issues posted above.

I suggest looking into Recell to restore original pigmentation. It has been used to help vitiligo patients restore color. Its definitely worth a try.

MemberMember
(@dirigo39)

Posted : 03/05/2022 3:20 pm

On 9/28/2006 at 10:06 PM, sword said:

If your doctor:

Well tell us the docs name.

Damn, I'm really disappointed that so many people said they had no improvement. Like all treatments, it's very SKILL DEPENDENT.

@harmlessboy1441

Are you Asian? Maybe you can chime in.

MemberMember
(@harmlessboy1441)

Posted : 03/05/2022 6:50 pm

3 hours ago, dirigo39 said:

Well tell us the docs name.

Damn, I'm really disappointed that so many people said they had no improvement. Like all treatments, it's very SKILL DEPENDENT.

@harmlessboy1441

Are you Asian? Maybe you can chime in.

I'm white, fitzpatrick II basically. This post was back in 2006 so I doubt he's going to reply 16 years later, having his doneone or two years after mine. Maybe it's just skill dependent or case dependent. Type of scars or how it's done. I really have no clue. I can only say definitively that it was life changing. If you don't believe me just look at the other guy recently that just got the filler flying to another country. He also got it done and called it life changing.

There are still residual problems with dermabrasion though. It's not perfect. You can still see the scars even if they are mostly filled under movement, certain light and so on. And going from severe scars to 80% improvement sort of still feels like I'm a monster in my town(s). Maybe that's selfish to those with less improvement or worse scars, but I can't shake it.

You liked
MemberMember
(@dirigo39)

Posted : 03/10/2022 9:16 pm

On 3/5/2022 at 6:50 PM, harmlessboy1441 said:

I'm white, fitzpatrick II basically. This post was back in 2006 so I doubt he's going to reply 16 years later, having his doneone or two years after mine. Maybe it's just skill dependent or case dependent. Type of scars or how it's done. I really have no clue. I can only say definitively that it was life changing. If you don't believe me just look at the other guy recently that just got the filler flying to another country. He also got it done and called it life changing.

There are still residual problems with dermabrasion though. It's not perfect. You can still see the scars even if they are mostly filled under movement, certain light and so on. And going from severe scars to 80% improvement sort of still feels like I'm a monster in my town(s). Maybe that's selfish to those with less improvement or worse scars, but I can't shake it.

Filler flying?