Notifications
Clear all

Does Accutane improve scarring?

MemberMember
(@denise2)

Posted : 07/30/2006 4:17 pm

Ok, so now I've heard from 4 people that their derms/nurses have said that accutane will improve the look of scars (at least certain types of scars). i think there is something to be said about that concensus!

Not really. You'll find 4 others who say Accutane left terrible, disfiguring scars on them......not really a consensus, more like: different people have different reactions.....

That is just plain not true. Lots and lots of people use accutane and it is rare for anything to happen to u while on it. As for leaving scars that is our genetics at work not the accutane. Many many people use the drug not only for treating severe acne but as a way of ridding the skin of unwanted oil and blackheads. If u dont scar then u wont on the drug either. U claim its 50/50 causing crater faces lol try about 1/100 and that 1 person would have been that bad anyway. Dear god I would have killed myself if I wouldnt have gone on accutane and cleared up my skin. I had very minor scars and got none on or after using the drug.

My sister modeled for years and has seen many beautiful people use accutane to rid the skin of oil and blackheads. It is also highly used by teen stars if they start to breakout. Obviously there isnt a half and half chance that these people will become crater faces or they would never use the drug.

Accutane is a great drug and its stupid to spread rumors and propaganda about it.

Please....give me a break. There are probably 20 people on this board who have linked Accutane to their scarring. Instead of being a puppet for a very powerful drug, at least open your mind to the possibilities that it can and does cause SOME PEOPLE problems. The liver has a very hard time sythesizing and breaking the drug down in the first place, it only makes sense it would be linked to scarring because having a properly functioning liver and gallbladder is key to having skin that HEALS PROPERLY.

Ok, so now I've heard from 4 people that their derms/nurses have said that accutane will improve the look of scars (at least certain types of scars). i think there is something to be said about that concensus!

Not really. You'll find 4 others who say Accutane left terrible, disfiguring scars on them......not really a consensus, more like: different people have different reactions.....

That is just plain not true. Lots and lots of people use accutane and it is rare for anything to happen to u while on it. As for leaving scars that is our genetics at work not the accutane. Many many people use the drug not only for treating severe acne but as a way of ridding the skin of unwanted oil and blackheads. If u dont scar then u wont on the drug either. U claim its 50/50 causing crater faces lol try about 1/100 and that 1 person would have been that bad anyway. Dear god I would have killed myself if I wouldnt have gone on accutane and cleared up my skin. I had very minor scars and got none on or after using the drug.

My sister modeled for years and has seen many beautiful people use accutane to rid the skin of oil and blackheads. It is also highly used by teen stars if they start to breakout. Obviously there isnt a half and half chance that these people will become crater faces or they would never use the drug.

Accutane is a great drug and its stupid to spread rumors and propaganda about it.

MemberMember
(@kirstin)

Posted : 07/31/2006 9:33 am

I think there has been a misinterpretation of my claim about accutane and scars. I am saying that accutane CAN improve scarring, at least certain types of scarring. What I ALSO meant was that there are other doctors out there, other than mine, that say that it CAN improve scars, not that every doctor claims this about every scar.

I know it depends on the types of scars, and I am not disputing the fact that there are some patients out there that did receive acne scars during the course of their treatment.

Accutane is voluntary, they did not have to take it and may have had worse scarring if they didn't! Who knows!

There are a lot of people out there that have scars similar to mine. I was simply starting this thread because I wanted to see if there were others out there that did see scar improvement after accutane treatment and let others know that it is a posibility.

MemberMember
(@colonel-angus)

Posted : 07/31/2006 10:15 am

I am changing the the title to Does accutane improve scarring.

MemberMember
(@kirstin)

Posted : 07/31/2006 12:39 pm

Thanks! That seems to be a more suitable title that won't be misinterpreted!

I have read on some websites that it improves scarring. My GP(doctor) also said to me that roaccutane can help reduce the appearence of scarring. I also read somewhere that roaccutane encourages skin cell shedding as well as shrinking of glands and stuff which i imagine is the reduction of scars...

also reduction of scars makes quite good sense considering roaccutane is a form of vitamin a and vit a is meant to help your skin go soft and look nice generally, so an overdose(which i guess the course effective is lol) is gonna shove a load of vit a skin-goodness in there and help your skin repair itself *shrug* i hav no PHD in dermatology tho so please dont kill me if im wrong.

I've tried to find websites that will attest this observation. Where did you find them?

I have formed the same kinds of conclusions as you. Also, I am thinking that since the retin a improved the look of my scars then accutane will also improve the look of them, since accutane is a systemic version of retin A.

I wish I could photograph my scars and any improvement, but it is going to be hard to capture improvement of my scars.

MemberMember
(@kiwi-rabbit)

Posted : 07/31/2006 5:21 pm

Thanks! That seems to be a more suitable title that won't be misinterpreted!

I have read on some websites that it improves scarring. My GP(doctor) also said to me that roaccutane can help reduce the appearence of scarring. I also read somewhere that roaccutane encourages skin cell shedding as well as shrinking of glands and stuff which i imagine is the reduction of scars...

also reduction of scars makes quite good sense considering roaccutane is a form of vitamin a and vit a is meant to help your skin go soft and look nice generally, so an overdose(which i guess the course effective is lol) is gonna shove a load of vit a skin-goodness in there and help your skin repair itself *shrug* i hav no PHD in dermatology tho so please dont kill me if im wrong.

I've tried to find websites that will attest this observation. Where did you find them?

I have formed the same kinds of conclusions as you. Also, I am thinking that since the retin a improved the look of my scars then accutane will also improve the look of them, since accutane is a systemic version of retin A.

I wish I could photograph my scars and any improvement, but it is going to be hard to capture improvement of my scars.

okey dokey heres one link:

http://wo-pub2.med.cornell.edu/cgi-bin/Web...?contentID=1571 (at the very bottom of the webpage there is a pragraph on Treatment for severe, cystic, or inflammatory acne)

I quote: "Isotretinoin reduces the size of the sebaceous glands that produce the skin oil, increases skin cell shedding, and affects the hair follicles, thereby reducing the development of acne lesions. "

another link: http://dermatology.about.com/cs/isotretino.../accutane_3.htm

erm... quoting: "A further reduction of acne lesions and improvement of scarring is seen for months after treatment has stopped. "

thats all i can think of. and at the time i wasnt realy looking for stuff on acne scarring which is why i dont have loads on it. but hopefully that'll settle you a bit.

Isotrtinoin's main aim is not to get rid of scars so im not gonna expect too much (I have scarring) but u may find if u have looks of marks/abrasions they'll fade between 6-12months anyway(i know its a long time to wait isnt it. it sucks.). and if any dont fade after a year they are officialy classified a scar (lol) which means u cud probably just get a home abrasion home kit or suminc. but yeah. hoped that helped and good luck with ur treatment :D

Thanks!

edit: I wonder if the reason they don't make a claim like this public bc they dont want people to go on it just because they have scars, when there are other safer alternatives such as retin a. Hmmm....

yes that makes sense. If someone simply has scarring and hardly any spots or none at all it'd be stupid if they started trying to get accutane just cos it can help scarring. they'd probably screw up their face and skin functions if they attempted it. then more ppl wud want the drug banned. so yeah. makes sense

MemberMember
(@rich1234)

Posted : 08/01/2006 8:14 pm

I dont know about the 1/5 people young adults/teens use accutane statistic. maybe like 1/25

MemberMember
(@hatethyself)

Posted : 08/29/2007 12:40 pm

I cant believe derms and websites trumpet that myth that accupoison helps scars, I had no scars whatsoever before it but now my face looks like the surface of the moon(i did not pick at acne niether)

MemberMember
(@sophia1984)

Posted : 04/29/2019 5:31 am

hello guys! actually accutane can also create scars...but I have heard people saying it made their scars fade away....weird right?I was 4 months on accutane and I got severe scarring.......did I do sth wrong?perhaps not too much moisturizing? I also got my acne back after yrs........what will happen if I try accutane again?

MemberMember
(@beautifulambition)

Posted : 04/29/2019 10:26 am

@sophia1984This post is from 2007, no one will respond to it, very old. Yes for some a side effect is more scars this is a known issue. I have never had someone say gee I should do more Accutane to get rid of my scars and be successful. It just does not happen. What does happen is healing over 12-18 months post accutane as it thins out the skin and causes dryness. If you had pimples and redness it can help with that but that's what it's indicated for severe acne, and then a"good" functioning body heals slowly afterwards. It would be absolutely silly to take Accutane for scars, in fact it can make them worse as the body has to heal from extreme vitamin a and stress on the organs.

Use a retin-a, tretinorin nightly... same family but a topical.