The ultimate shavin...

Notifications
Clear all

The ultimate shaving thread

MemberMember
(@xc60)

Posted : 04/02/2009 8:53 pm

Acne" data-cite="F Acne">

Hey people, my acne started with me shaving against the grain in year 7.... From there it has spread not realizing it was the shaving causing the pimples, after 2 years a friend of mine saw me shaving and told me i should shave with the grain instead of shaving against it. My question though is if there is anyways to stop irritation and new breakouts from shaving against the grain ?

Are you wet shaving or using an electric?

MemberMember
(@spacetravler)

Posted : 04/23/2009 11:30 am

Anyone tried using only Jojoba oil as a shaving cream/oil? I have tried this twice and I am started to get hooked. Not even a single itch or irritation after my shave.

I only shave after a shower or a bath. When I am done showering or bathing I then apply a very generously amount of Jojoba oil and start to shave with a single edge razor. After I am done I lean my head into the shower and rinse, and thats it! I don't even need to moisturize.

The problem is to apply the Jojoba oil, I fill up it on the tip of my fingers and try to smear it around but it usually drips through and such. I think you know what I mean, if it only were a bit more 'creamy'. Will not work good if you got a big beard though, only regular shaving.

MemberMember
(@bharp105)

Posted : 05/13/2009 8:22 pm

those of you who use a beard trimmer, how do you clean it?

MemberMember
(@spacetravler)

Posted : 05/19/2009 11:16 am

I use Gillette Series Shave Gel Pure & Sensitive instead of the jojoba oil now, it gave me an even better and closer shave. I recommend it!

MemberMember
(@ben100604)

Posted : 08/02/2009 11:52 am

My shaving routine for the last few years has been this:

Hold a flannel which has been dipped in hot water to my face for 30 seconds or so.

Then I apply shaving cream with a shaving brush.

Then shave in the direction of the stubble. I only shave each area with one stroke of the razor.

Apply shaving cream with shaving brush again.

Then shave across the grain of the stubble - not against. Again, I only shave each area with one stroke of the razor. I miss my throat out this time as it's very sensitive there.

Then I wash all the mess off my face with warm water and apply some aftershave balm. I leave it on for as long as possible before washing it off.

I only use a standard razor. I used to use Gillette M3, but I found the only difference between that and a standard razor was that it glided a lot better. It made no difference to my stubble.

MemberMember
(@stratosfear)

Posted : 09/29/2009 4:46 pm

man this is gona be so helpful, shoulda read this a long time ago would saved alot of breakouts from happnin

MemberMember
(@shaygahwehgmail-com)

Posted : 09/29/2009 6:32 pm

Gillette shaving gel

Nivea aftershave for sensitive skin

1-2 times a week (only 18)

with grain (usually)

These are the only products that I use on my face/neck. No acne treatments.

I tried shaving against the grain on my neck, and it didn't seem to irritate it at all. Not a single ingrown hair. Weird.

MemberMember
(@shaygahwehgmail-com)

Posted : 09/29/2009 6:36 pm

just shave right over it. Good exfoliation.

True that. Old school.

MemberMember
(@souvenir)

Posted : 01/01/2010 7:43 am

What works for me is shaving before I wash my face in the mornings. I use a Braun foil shaver and have found this to be way less irritating than the rotary style of shaver. I also use Old Spice Pre Electric Shave Lotion on my neck only. I shave against the grain using one pass only on my face and two passes on my neck.

Works good for me!

MemberMember
(@dpre)

Posted : 01/02/2010 7:04 pm

Well,

Thing is if I shave WITH* the Grain, most of my beard hair does not get removed.

How can I actually remove them?

MemberMember
(@christof)

Posted : 01/02/2010 7:13 pm

I have that problem too. The only way I can get completely smooth is if I shave against the grain which, as we know, is bad for your skin. I have to leave a fine stubble which is barely visible so ok when I need to be clean shaven (interviews etc.) but still not ideal really.

MemberMember
(@dpre)

Posted : 01/02/2010 8:45 pm

Yeah I do the same thing! I HAVE* to shave against the grain to remove everything. Its a bit annoying, but my hairs are just stubborn.

MemberMember
(@idefeatedacne)

Posted : 12/22/2010 12:34 pm

Hi everyone! Stumbled across this thread and thought you might benefit from the tips on this page,

Some tips on there are really useful and will help you if you suffer from a lot of red marks or blemishes when you shave. check it out. Happy shaving lol

Also, another thing i see a lot on this thread is the question to shave against or with the grain. Make sure you shave with the grain otherwise your skin is much more susceptible to ingrown hairs or red marks. (When my facial hair gets to long i use small scissors first just to trim the hairs making sure i dont touch my skin with the scissors. After trimming it is much easier to get a close shave while going 'with the grain')

MemberMember
(@sun-ah-san)

Posted : 04/24/2011 12:42 pm

guys i have a serious question. i have been using disposal gillette razors to shave. I have mild acne but the only acne i get is pretty much confined to where i shave. why do i keep getting infections near my mouth area when I am using a disposal razor? I do not use aftershave or any type of anti bacterial product afterwards, could you guys recommend some? thanks!

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 07/08/2011 3:09 pm

I actually use natural soap, olive or coconut oil to shave... it's natural and won't cause more acne!

Just a tip to keep in mind and try out :)

MemberMember
(@vladereign)

Posted : 10/12/2011 9:34 pm

I shaved every week..with razor blade... and adiddas after shave

MemberMember
(@mikex10a)

Posted : 01/31/2012 12:06 pm

Double-edged razor is the best move anyone can make when shaving. Just adapt it to your current regimen. Can't do everything they say since acne is a problem, so use common sense.

[removed]

MemberMember
(@jerr)

Posted : 01/31/2012 10:19 pm

I have a question: wouldn't shaving with whiteheads cut them off and produce scarring? I use an electronic shaver to prevent this.

MemberMember
(@walktall)

Posted : 04/23/2012 5:32 am

If you're going to wet shave then you should really get yourself a shaving brush...

The greatest benefit from shave brush use is the tendency to soften and lift facial hair before a shave.

Applying shaving cream by hand mats hair or raises it unevenly. Shave brush use, however,

requires agitation of the soap or cream in a mug to form a lather suitable for a shave.

I brought one a few months ago and it's great. Give it a go.

MemberMember
(@allrighty)

Posted : 07/17/2012 11:26 pm

I use a beard trimmer, its been the best thing to use... and I stay clear of razors now. I had so much skin irritation using them. And I tried alot.

MemberMember
(@james9)

Posted : 07/31/2012 2:48 am

can someone fill me in about the grain? what is it? I usually shave up on the neck and down on the face... I get ingrown hairs on my neck though... should I start shaving down on the neck as well?

MemberMember
(@journey20)

Posted : 08/02/2012 6:47 pm

Personally, I find that wet shaving produces the closest and most comfortable shave. After spending much time doing research and quite a bit of trial and error, I found that following the tips generally advocated by wet shavers (using a double-edged safety razor, exfoliating, pre-shave, shave brush, shaving CREAM that does not come from a can, first and second pass with the grain, final pass gently across the grain) followed by my normal acne routine (cleanser, spot treatment, sunscreen) works best for ME. Yes, it is quite a bit but this is what I've found effective. I shave before taking a shower and then use the normal acne routine in the shower proceeding as usual. Still, everyone has different circumstances so this is just what has been effective for me.

@James9, with the grain is going along with whatever your natural hair growth is, for most people it's downward but it can vary according to the person and even in different areas of your beard. Simply a suggestion, run your hand against, across, and down your beard, whatever provides the most resistance is generally against the grain, the opposite of course being with the grain.

MemberMember
(@remyhelps123)

Posted : 08/04/2012 5:46 am

Trimming is what I've done for the past 6 months or so and I've never looked back. :)

I charge the trimmer for an hour. Then use it on my face going with the grain and am careful to not go over spots multiple times or with too much pressure. Then I hop into the shower to wash off the shaved hair that might be stuck to my face and chest. Then I get out of the shower and apply an ingrown hair serum that helps the facial hair grow out evenly so it won't try and curl back and under the skin. Trimming has definitely been the answer to my ingrown hair dilemma.

No cream. No gels. No need to purchase a new trimmer until this one dies or the blade gets too dull. This was a $15 trimmer so it wasn't too expensive. ;)

Plus it gives me that stubble look like others here have mentioned.. Girls like a bit of stubble. Just look at all the male models and celebrity dudes out there that girls swoon over! So many of those guys have stubble constantly because they know that it's awesome and manly. Or they're lazy. :P

MemberMember
(@lazybum-sdgmail-com)

Posted : 08/12/2012 2:11 pm

On 8/4/2012 at 6:46 PM, remyhelps123 said:

Trimming is what I've done for the past 6 months or so and I've never looked back. [Edited image out]

I charge the trimmer for an hour. Then use it on my face going with the grain and am careful to not go over spots multiple times or with too much pressure. Then I hop into the shower to wash off the shaved hair that might be stuck to my face and chest. Then I get out of the shower and apply an ingrown hair serum that helps the facial hair grow out evenly so it won't try and curl back and under the skin. Trimming has definitely been the answer to my ingrown hair dilemma.

No cream. No gels. No need to purchase a new trimmer until this one dies or the blade gets too dull. This was a $15 trimmer so it wasn't too expensive. [Edited image out]

Plus it gives me that stubble look like others here have mentioned.. Girls like a bit of stubble. Just look at all the male models and celebrity dudes out there that girls swoon over! So many of those guys have stubble constantly because they know that it's awesome and manly. Or they're lazy. [Edited image out]

What "ingrown hair serum" do you use?

MemberMember
(@remyhelps123)

Posted : 08/12/2012 4:29 pm

I don't know if the moderators will hate on me for posting a product name.. but it's: PrinceReigns Ingrown Hair Serum.

It's got Glycolic Acid in it that I was worried might mess with my skin more than help it.. But it really does help keep my hairs from curling up under the skin.

At first I didn't think it worked so I never used it, but after I tried tweezing my ENTIRE beard I kind of was forced to try some kind of insurance policy for the regrowth of all my hair ahaha. I did all that crazy tweezing before I switched to the electric trimmer, which I must admit is a lot less painful than tweezing my face from top to bottom. :)