The ultimate shavin...

Notifications
Clear all

The ultimate shaving thread

MemberMember
(@caleban)

Posted : 05/09/2008 1:06 am

I don't post often but this was a big change for me so I thought I'd share.

I began classic wet shaving about 6 months ago and it's the closest, smoothest, least irritating shave I've ever had by far. It requires an initial investment of money, mostly on a good badger brush, and it takes more time but I find it a soothing and enjoyable ritual.

After the initial investment I believe it's cheaper than cartridges because the blades are cheaper, sharper, and last longer. I have to use a different cartridge every shave whereas I can use the same double edged blade for a week or two.

At a minimum I highly recommend lathering up with a shaving soap and brush which does wonders to lubricate the skin and lift the hairs making them ready for shaving with a blade or a cartridge. I tried lathering with the regimen soap and brush but the lather wasn't as good for shaving it was more soapy and sticky than shaving soap lather.

My shave:

Shower

Lather with shaving soap, nice badger brush, and mug

Several passes with safety razor lathering in between each pass

Rinse warm

Splash cold

Aftershave

Moisturizer and Jojoba oil or acne regimen depending on time of day and condition of skin

My favorite classic wet shaving reference video:

Happy shaving!

MemberMember
(@prznking)

Posted : 05/09/2008 6:39 am

I hear so many good things about the safety razor but I tried it once and all I did was cut my skin VERY BADLY. But if I get a shave at the barber shop, they give the best shave with those.

MemberMember
(@chris111)

Posted : 05/20/2008 1:22 pm

Is it a good idea to shave regurlarly?i always thought the less irritation my skin got the better but does the hair stop my skin from breathing?

MemberMember
(@jdmej1)

Posted : 05/22/2008 5:17 pm

Anyone have any ideas about Safety Razors? I was wondering if those would irritate my skin?

MemberMember
(@cbas9)

Posted : 06/10/2008 3:09 pm

Hey everyone...new to this forum. I have already discovered a lot of great information...yet like a lot of guys, shaving is pure hell.

A little background....used every topical, antibiotic, etc. mentioned anywhere in here. I have been through 2 courses of Accutane. While on the tane, my skin was flawless (except for IB 1st time around which was awful) and it was the first time in my life I could shave and not get crazy irritation, breakouts, ingrowns, etc. Each time after the tane I could shave for a small period of time until I had to resort back to a beard trimmer (currently using) because of the same issues as pre-tane. I have been using a trimmer since 2001. I have found info on the ZNP bar and I am interested if this may help me. Needless to say I have very sensitive skin. Thoughts?

Other than ZNP and a few other products in here, I have used, heard of, or tried all of them.

Shaving routine when on the tane:

After shower I would use Lab Series for men Pre-shaving scrub and rinse with hot water. I would then apply the lab series for men shave cream, not gel, and use a Sensor excel with the grain. I would then was my face with Brevoxyl 4% (been usingthis for years, only wash that keeps me semi-in check) Afterwards I was using a clinique after shave lotion that had 2% salicylic for the ingrowns.

Does anyone have any info on how they use the ZNP bar and shaving? As a lather, aftwrewards as a wash?

MemberMember
(@acnedepress)

Posted : 06/17/2008 2:44 pm

Hi there.

I am going to try shaving tomorrow, using Dan's cleanser gel. (I dont know what else to use really, im afraid of purchasing something that could be irritating for my skin)

My problem is as follows: What do I do after?

I've been taught always to use aftershave with an disinfectant effect. But I am bit paranoid about using products which could cause out-breaks and whatnot.

So I am asking you:

What can I do to ensure that my skin is disinfectanted after a shave?

Kind Regards,

Me.

MemberMember
(@xc60)

Posted : 06/19/2008 8:14 am

After trying everything under sun, back to the old electric again. I'd like to start off by saying, avoid any products with alcohol or SLS!!! We know the bad effects of alcohol, but this SLS stuff is even worse when it comes to ingrown hairs & shaving bumps. Supposedly, this nasty synthetic chemical strips your skin of certain essential oils, and therefore the follicle does not grow back properly. After doing much reading on shaving forums and even the instructional manual for my Norelco, the consensus is to shave "against-the-grain". I was extremely hesitant about doing this, but this does seem to be the correct way to shear the hair off. As a warning, make very light passes, and you'll see what I mean. If using a Norelco, take out the lifts...very important!!! Lastly, the last poster wanted to use something to disinfect his face & neck for shaving, it's probably on your cabinet...HONEY!!! One more thing, I CANNOT recommend using Dan's Cleanser as a shaving cream!

MemberMember
(@rodd)

Posted : 06/25/2008 9:06 am

Hi there.

I am going to try shaving tomorrow, using Dan's cleanser gel. (I dont know what else to use really, im afraid of purchasing something that could be irritating for my skin)

My problem is as follows: What do I do after?

I've been taught always to use aftershave with an disinfectant effect. But I am bit paranoid about using products which could cause out-breaks and whatnot.

So I am asking you:

What can I do to ensure that my skin is disinfectanted after a shave?

Kind Regards,

Me.

the question i am proposing to you is thus:

do you really need to disinfect your face after you shave?

please find my opinion on the matter below:

the idea of needing to disinfect your face comes from back in the day when they'd shave with some grubby old blade that was just rinsed and wiped down with a rag after the previous guys blood got on it in the local barber shop. traditional aftershaves were pretty much pure alcohol to physically destroy bacteria and prevent infection

the main reason for us to put something on our skin in this day and age is so it doesnt get too dry after having all the natural oils stripped off the surface. theres honestly nothing to disinfect.. assuming you shave anywhere outside of a sewer. so a moisturiser of some kind should be fine. for what its worth my face has never been infected despite never having used any disinfectant on it

MemberMember
(@mary-prankster)

Posted : 06/29/2008 7:04 pm

If you have sensitive skin try using an electric shaver.

MemberMember
(@xc60)

Posted : 07/28/2008 3:17 pm

After still having numerous problems in my neck area, I've resorted to laser hair removal again. We'll see how it goes this time around, it's going to take about 4-5 procedures for full removal. The machine used is fairly aggressive, and done by a physician, not by a spa, laser center, or a nurse. I've had one done, and it took about 10 days for it to heal before I could return to shaving, I'll keep everyone posted on the progess, no pun intended!

MemberMember
(@seo)

Posted : 07/31/2008 9:50 am

extremly detailed tut, thx alot

MemberMember
(@paulyd)

Posted : 10/09/2008 4:09 am

What do you guys do for the hair around/on affected areas? I try trimming them as best as I can but some times I accidently poke my cysts and im worried itl cause some scarring. It takes me SO long though because I try trimming the hairs almost down to skin height because I dont want patches of hair.

MemberMember
(@prznking)

Posted : 10/12/2008 1:27 pm

I haven't had a cyst in a few years but I think I shaved around them. Normal acne, just shave right over it. Good exfoliation.

MemberMember
(@xc60)

Posted : 10/15/2008 1:46 pm

I'm back with an update, it's been 3 weeks since my last laser procedure on my neck area, and I've had a good 50% or more hair loss. It took a good week this time around for my neck to "heal". At least now, I can shave this area quickly and comfortably I'd like to add that there is no OTC or prescribed topical medication/product that is going to help this condition. My skin really flipped out on me this summer, for some reason...and I just turned 40!!! My latest derm recommended I try using Dove Unscented Soap, I thought he was on crack! Reluctantly, I tried it, and it's been THE best I've used ever! Trust me, I've tried EVERYTHING, and it only costs about a $1 a bar! I've been washing my face once at night, and once in the morning, and shaving before I wash up in the AM. I'd like to add that those junk soaps, topicals, antibiotics, and vitamins are NOT going to help you, throw them in the garbage, and do not put false hope in this crap, and "think" that it's going to help you...I've been there!

MemberMember
(@blossomd)

Posted : 10/15/2008 4:11 pm

im starting to grow whiskers now! on my cheeks and more than enough to shave and i cant plluck them out anymore but i have whisker hairs growing around my pimples. I dont want to leave them they look ugly but i dont want to scrape my pimples! what do i do?

Also instead of using a razor what about trying to use a machine buzzer. I have one at home. Will that work well/?

MemberMember
(@celluliteradio)

Posted : 12/17/2008 5:38 pm

Anybody got any tips for keeping the skin under facial hair moisturized? I like to keep a very short beard on my face and shave the neck area. Especially now that it's winter, the skin gets dried out and flaky. I've tried just putting moisturizer on it, but it sort of gets gunked up in the hair, and it would take like 1/4 of the bottle to get the whole bottom half of my face done.

MemberMember
(@basketballsl)

Posted : 12/22/2008 7:54 am

I used to use the Fusion power with 4 or 5 blades on it, and I would always get irritation and razor bumps. Ingrown hair was a problem in my chin area after shaving. And I followed all the recommended tips to avoid them too.

So I switched razors like Dan said, I used the Gillete Sensor Excel and i get zero razor bumps now. It's a LOT better with fewer blades to cause irritation.

MemberMember
(@medic)

Posted : 01/06/2009 7:11 pm

I am thinking of using an electric shaver.

Why don't more guys use it?

MemberMember
(@toanwloha)

Posted : 01/09/2009 11:44 pm

I use an electric - a shick quattro precisely. I will never go back to the old school manuals lol.

MemberMember
(@acno)

Posted : 02/13/2009 1:57 pm

I'll start off with my own tips to the perfect shave, avoiding irritation.

Some people experience problems with shaving such as rash, bumps and ingrown hairs, these can be greatly reduced with the right shaving techniques.

Preparation before the shave

Fill the sink with hot but not boiling water and dip your face in the water for about a minute, you can take breaks but try to ensure your face is submerged in the water for about a minute total. The hot water will soften the beard and make it easier for the blade to cut the hairs.

I use a regular shaving gel, I'd never use cleanser but some find it ok.

Gillette shaving gel is fine in my experience, I find that using cleanser doesn't offer enough protection for me, shaving gel allows the blade to glide over your face with minimal irritation. Dan Kerns recommendation of blade the Gillette sensor excel is an excellent blade, it causes the least irritation in my experience though some prefer a single blade while others prefer 3, I think it depends on the density of your stubble. Use a good amount of gel and massage it in to your beard for about 30 seconds.

Always shave with the grain of your beard

This is possibly the most important point so far, it's essential that you shave with the grain on both your face and neck NEVER SHAVE AGAINST THE GRAIN. Be extra gentle and only apply a very small amount of pressure to the blade, imagine you're shaving a balloon. Also NEVER pull your skin, this forces the hair further out and once the blade cuts through it, the hair will slip beneath surface level which can cause the hair to ingrow.

Take only one stroke on each part of your face, this will help minimise irritation and stripping your skin of essential moisture. Rinse the blade after every stroke.

Avoiding active spots

As you'll know shaving over an active spot can make it much worse, it's a good idea to shave around the spot and gently remove the hairs around it.

Post shave instructions

After shaving it's time to do the regimen as usual, however I find it's good practice to use either AHA or Sudocrem in addition to prevent any irritation the next day. AHA gentle exfoliates the pores and helps prevent ingrown hairs. Sudocrem works brilliantly at preventing infection and irritation, it's my number one choice after shaving.

If I wet shave then I do so at night, this allows me to use EXTRA moisturiser and sudocrem and I don't experience any irritation the following day.

How often should I shave?

I find shaving every 2-3 days is optimal for me, shaving every day is just too much and leaving it any longer than 3 days causes me too itch which irritates my skin. Experiment and find your own skins optimal shaving routine.

What if shaving still causes irritation?

If you've tried all of the above and can't manage to shave without causing irritation it might be a good idea for you to try a beard trimmer, this is without a doubt the least irritating way to shave in my experience and everybody who I've recommended it to has also reported zero irritation. I use a philishave 6 in 1 beard trimmer and it leaves no irritation at all. Note: Shaving with a beard trimmer will leave behind a slight stubble but that's ideal for me.

I'd love to hear your tips for a perfect shave without irritation.

good stuff my man ,, but what do u think of shaving cream instead of using AHA ?

MemberMember
(@dhabu)

Posted : 02/14/2009 12:52 am

Honestly in my experience the most significant factors in the shaving routine are the, blade, the razor itself, the angle of the shave and the technique (how many passes etc,..).

The problem with cartridge and electric shavers is, you can only control one variable, that being the razor itself (because you have no choice of different blade with the cartridge system). When you can manipulate the other variables properly, you can have a much more comfortable shave, which can be as close or as far as you want, with as much or as little irritation as you can tolerate.

With a safety razor, there are hundreds of different blades to choose from and they are of much higher quality, less expense and superior sharpness than the gillette refills.

In terms of plain ol' cartridge razors, the blades themselves are usually poor quality and they only have one make, so you don't have much choice. The Sensor Excel was the best one for me because it has only two blades and is a fairly simple device. Even still when compared to a safety razor, the excel is too hasty and rough, I find it to be unpleasant and too close, too quick. More blades will irritate, and trying to take all your hair off in one go will also irritate!

Technique is also an important factor. For me, for a long while when i was using the Excel i only did one pass with the grain. This was because if i did any more i would cut myself and my skin would look horrible. Only problem with this is, i would hardly go very close.

If closeness is desired, It is definitely in your best interests to draw out the shaving routine and do multiple passes, one with the grain, one/two across in different directions and only then against the grain (if your face can tolerate it).

I dont mean to discount pre-shave preparation, of course it helps but if your carving out your face with sandpaper its hardly going to make much difference.

I therefore HIGHLY RECOMMEND taking up wet-shaving and using a safety razor/double-edge razor. The difference between these and cartridge shavers or electric razors, is like the difference between a manual and an automatic gear system on a car.

For more information (where i discovered all this):

see:

start here first>

http://www.youtube.com/user/mantic59

(he pretty much summarises all that you need to know in video format) (focus on technique and blades, than worry about lather, IMO)

www.badgerandblade.com (a good shaving forum)

www.shavemyface.com (another good shaving forum)

[Removed]

(this is a book i bought written by one of the guys from [Removed], it mostly contains information derived from the forums and various other places)

personal shaving experience:

I like most shaved with cartridges for most of my life till about 6 months ago, when i discovered- out of concern for the environment rather than anything else (throwing away endless amounts of used cartridges), the safety razor and the cut-throat. I consistently had problems with cartridge shaving. I never enjoyed the process, always found it painful (would cut myself without failure) and i found that my face needed days to recover (from acne, white heads, scars) from the 20mins worth of butchering i had administered to it afterwards.

I was one of probably many young men, who never really learnt how to shave. My style was purely improvisational, since nobody ever taught me any of the time-tested techniques that barbers use in their shops.

Now i rarely shave against the grain (only when i want to go really close). I hardly ever cut myself. My face is beaming with clarity and color and i can shave as often or little as i want (though i do find shaving with some routine to be beneficial for skin- think exfoliant).

I implore you, do yourself a favour and watch the youtube videos at least!!!

I CAN HARDLY STRESS THIS ENOUGH, SHAVING MATTERS!!!! ESPECIALLY WHEN YOU WANT TO CONTROL YOUR ACNE!!!

PS. They should have a dedicated shaving section on these boards. There are whole websites dedicated to shaving, dealing with each and all the many facets.

hope this helps!!

MemberMember
(@xc60)

Posted : 03/02/2009 2:38 am

Wet shaving has NEVER worked well for me, no matter what I tried as far as products, razor, before/after showering, temperature of water, etc., etc. My only option has been to use a Norelco Rotary, and with some trial & error, have been close to perfecting a decent regimen.

MemberMember
(@michaelscott)

Posted : 03/03/2009 3:14 pm

Hey everyone,

I've got a question in regards to aftershave.

From what i've been informed, directly after shaving you should rinse your face with cool/cold water to help close the pores (especially people with sensative/acne prone skin.)

Now the big question that i have is whether or not i should use an actual aftershave? It appears that the two big purposes of an aftershave are to disinfect(i know that's not the proper word, but to carefully manage your skin which has just been shaved and could possibly be damaged) and to moisturize and soothe your skin...

So my question is, could i just use a facial moisturizer as aftershave? Or would it be more beneficial to use an actual aftershave?

Keep in mind that my biggest concern is the prevention of acne from shaving. So would it be recommended to just use a non-comedogenic moisturizer for very cne prone skin, or an actual aftershave?

Any help would be greatly appreciated as i'm very new to this.

MemberMember
(@douchebag44rocketmail-com)

Posted : 03/06/2009 7:11 pm

I just use an electrical foil shaver.

Same result as a bladed razor without the fucking about and irritation.

.......just a thought.

ugh i hate blades.

MemberMember
(@f-acne)

Posted : 04/02/2009 6:25 am

Hey people, my acne started with me shaving against the grain in year 7.... From there it has spread not realizing it was the shaving causing the pimples, after 2 years a friend of mine saw me shaving and told me i should shave with the grain instead of shaving against it. My question though is if there is anyways to stop irritation and new breakouts from shaving against the grain ?