Notifications
Clear all

Epiduo

MemberMember
(@elfantasma)

Posted : 09/19/2014 10:57 am

Thank you for your post Nicoleblk9 :)

Honestly I think we just have to stick with the regimen until 8 or 12 weeks to see significant results. That's what I hope.

It's hard to tell whether the regimen is working or not. My acne breakouts now don't seem to be as severe as before. The pimples are smallere and less inflamed compared to before Epiduo.

I hope things clear up in a month or so

My derm told me to take 2x500m tetracycline for 45 days. Is that enough? According to him it would be enough and after that I should keep using Epiduo.

MemberMember
(@nicoleblk9)

Posted : 09/22/2014 5:28 am

Yeah that's what I'm hoping too! Every day is a step in the right direction, it's just so hard to not be upset when you wake up in the morning and it looks like you're back where you started!

I've definitely noticed that any breakouts I get clear much quicker than previously. Within a day or two, as long as I've left it alone, it'll dry right up and the scab will just flake off, leaving nice fresh clear skin.

I have a two month supply of Lymecycline (although I presume the doctor may give me another months' worth when I run out) and I'm only taking 300mg Tetracycline (408mg Lymecycline) once per day in the morning, so I must be on a fairly low dose. Possibly due to having already been on the Erythromycin? Or possibly as I had pretty bad side effects from the Erythromycin? I don't know, but I'm not entirely convinced it's doing a great deal anyway, maybe just giving the Epiduo a bit of a helping hand. Although I have gone from getting 2-3 cysts a month repeatedly in the same places, to having had 0 cysts in 10 weeks - maybe that's the evidence of the antibiotics working? It's so hard to pin-point the cause when your whole regimen changes!

MemberMember
(@elfantasma)

Posted : 09/27/2014 3:41 am

Hi again.

Sorry for the late reply. I've been busy starting a new job :)

Yeah I know exactly what you mean. This process is a two step forward one step back process.

I'm still having some pimples but generally things are going in the right direction. The pimples that i'm having are small and heal in a faster pace.

I'm almost half way through the 3 months now. I hope things only get better from now on :D I'm positive.

I just got a new tube of the Epiduo. I've almost used the first one.

MemberMember
(@nicoleblk9)

Posted : 10/02/2014 11:53 am

Hope all is going well with the new job!

I'm in the same situation, my jawline is staying clear (except where old stuff is surfacing), but I have two random sore pimples beside my nose. They're fairly red and will not come to a head. They've been there about a week now and I keep smothering them in Epiduo morning and evening but nothing is happening. Thinking of dabbing some 10% BP on there just to speed things up. Otherwise, still generally heading in the right direction.

I'm slightly concerned that I'm getting no irritation what so ever now, and I'm using Epiduo every night. I could seriously go without moisturiser - my skin feels hydrated but not greasy most of the time. I hope it's still working!

MemberMember
(@elfantasma)

Posted : 10/04/2014 2:56 am

Thank you. It's going great ) It's hard to work full time when you were used to study. I just finished my master degree.

BP 10% would be a good choice for spot treatment.

The irritation that I get is itchy skin about 30-60 min after application. But when I apply moisturizer it calms down. Actually I don't need moisturizer as well, but I apply some in the morning.

Day 51

Things are slowly improving. Right now I got 1-2 active pimples (one on my left cheek and one my chin) and some very tiny spots (I wouldn't call them pimples, they are so small).

I'm very positive and genuinely think, that I could be almost clear by month 3.

I'm still taking 2x500ml tetracycline daily. I got pills for another two weeks left.

MemberMember
(@nicoleblk9)

Posted : 10/10/2014 5:28 am

Congratulations on your masters degree! What did you study, if you don't mind me asking? I finished my masters degree last year and although I am working, I'm struggling to get employment in the field I trained in.

Today marks the end of my 6th week now...it's starting to go by really quickly. I am seeing improvement but I think as there's already been such a large improvement, on a day to day basis I'm not really seeing any difference. I had a bit of a picking and squeezing moment the other day which left me with some red marks, but it was oddly satisfying to see the final big keratin clogs coming out. I'm just left with a few little bumps and blackheads now.

My skin is still a little red, but providing I keep the dryness at bay, I'm managing to cover it with a little mineral powder foundation.

Only incident was last weekend when I exposed myself to some sun (it's England and it's October - so it's cold!) and didn't wear any SPF, plus got myself a little windburned beside the seaside too. When I applied the Epiduo that night, I cried with pain. I flaked and peeled quite badly for around 2-3 days after that, but all is back to normal now and I have learned a valuable lesson - SPF isn't just for Summer!

Only two weeks left of the Tetracycline so will be back off to the doctors soon for a new prescription. Hope I can get my hands on another months' worth and some more Epiduo as I'm not sure it'll last me another month!

MemberMember
(@elfantasma)

Posted : 10/11/2014 6:14 am

Thank you very much! I studied Information Technology and I was lucky to get employment almost right away. But I think it's hard in all fields nowadays.

For me it's been almost two months now (14th of october). I have really seen some major improvements the last 1-2 weeks.Right now I have no active pimples and only a few impurities. Nothing serious. I just hope things stay this way and keep improving. Epiduo is just an amazing medication. The antibiotics are helping as well. Before using antibiotics, I had a lot of very small closed comedones on my forehead (not inflamed) and barely visible and now they are gone (i'm not using Epiduo on my forehead).

Improvements in the skin are not visible from day to day but over time Just keep using the Epiduo!

Actually i'm not using SPF, but I really should when the spring arrives sometime next year! I read somewhere that a retinoid makes the skin super thin (4-5 layers) compared to 8-9 layers and therefore the skin is extra sensitive to the sun as you've experienced.

I hope to get another month worth of tetracycline as well.

MemberMember
(@nicoleblk9)

Posted : 10/15/2014 8:31 am

I'm so impressed with this Epiduo! My skin looks and feels amazing right now. I have no active acne, only a couple of red marks (which I can just dab a bit of concealer on until they fade), it is soft, smooth, and just generally so so good I cannot believe it is mine!

I get a little flaking and dryness here and there, but nothing a dab of CeraVe can't deal with.

I feel it has also overall changed my appearance. I no longer look in the mirror and see acne, I see my good features. I'd have never dreamt of saying I had 'good features' 7 weeks ago! The shape of my face even appears different, I cannot believe it!

I am so happy with my skin right now, I may even brave sharing the before and after photos soon.

I should also probably add that I've added some drugstore brand Micellar Water into my regimen. PM only, I wash with Cetaphil as normal, leave to dry, sweep some micellar water accross my skin with a cotton pad (to remove any 'dirt'/make-up etc. that I feel Cetaphil just doesn't reach), leave to do it's work, then apply my Epiduo after around 5 minutes. It makes my skin feel lovely and clean and 'tingly', and I feel it might actually be helping!

MemberMember
(@elfantasma)

Posted : 10/16/2014 11:24 am

Nice to hear that Epiduo is also helping you! It's good stuff! 😉

How long time have you been using it now?

For me it has been 2 months and 2 days. My skin still looks good and I have seen a lot of improvement the last couple of weeks. I'm almost out of antibiotics, but i'll renew my subscription sometime soon.

I just got a pimple close to my right sideburn today. Nothing serious. The most important thing is that things are moving forward.

MemberMember
(@nicoleblk9)

Posted : 10/17/2014 5:09 am

Today marks the start of my 8th week, so day 50 I believe.

I unfortunately woke up to 2 rather large pimples yesterday, one above my lip (again) but not in the exact same place as last time, and one under my lip on my chin that is quite sore. I think it's coming to a head though, so that's good. The one above my lip did in a day or so and I couldn't resist popping it this morning.

I'm starting to wonder why I keep getting them in the region of my lips, and then I noticed that I permanently have these tiny white 'spots' in the corner of my mouth, and I'm thinking it could be my toothpaste? Does that sound crazy? I always brush my teeth between the washing and moisturising or Epiduo stages of my regimen, maybe I should brush my teeth before cleansing in future. I may even see if I can source a toothpaste that won't do this and see how I get on.

I'm also starting to question whether the 'visible pores/blackheads' I keep thinking I can see are actually scarring? It wouldn't surprise me as they're pores that must have been permanently blocked since I was about 12 years old (I'm now 26).

Other than that, I'm still very impressed! I could deal with a coverable pimple every month or so compared to thousands of closed comedones, cysts, and inflamed pimples!

I have one weeks' worth of Tetracycline left, called my doctors office this morning and after waiting 20 minutes in the phone queue for an appointment, they told me they are fully booked and only taking 'Emergency appointments' at the moment...so fingers crossed I can get an appointment next week!

MemberMember
(@elfantasma)

Posted : 10/17/2014 9:12 am

The pimple I mentioned yesterday as "nothing serious" has turned into a cystic-like pimple. Motherfucking cystic pimple!

It could be your toothpaste. The fluoride in almost all toothpastes can cause acne: http://www.skin-evolutions.co.uk/fluoroderma-could-flouride-be-causing-your-acne/

I have a prescription. I just need to go down at the pharmacy and pick it up. It's hard to find time for a simple thing as that 😉

MemberMember
(@elfantasma)

Posted : 10/18/2014 2:29 am

During the last couple of days a got a couple of pimples :(

MemberMember
(@elfantasma)

Posted : 10/19/2014 9:05 am

Another thing. The antibiotics are not very effective right now. The comedones on my forehead are back. Maybe I got a resistance from earlier use. It just seems odd after 45 days of use.

Maybe it needs more time to combat the bacteria. It just funny I've experienced improvement and then it goes back as it were.

MemberMember
(@nicoleblk9)

Posted : 10/21/2014 11:23 pm

Hmm funny you should say that, the pimple I was attributing to my toothpaste went full-on cystic pimple too. I couldn't leave it alone, I was so frustrated, so ended up with a giant cyst, surrounded by a giant scab, surrounded by dry skin. It's clearing up now but still looks clogged up. Maybe it's just another phase of the treatment? Other than that I haven't really had any new breakouts.

I'm struggling now to get my regimen right, maybe because I keep tweaking things and I shouldn't be. I'm really confused by the moisturiser situation. I can quite happily go without it, as I'm feeling naturally moisturised and less flaking etc, so I have been avoiding it - maybe the cyst was due to not moisturising and excess oil production to compensate?

I'm struggling with sickness, bloating, cramping etc. all over again too - just like when I was on the Erythromycin. I'm not sure if I've had a bug or if its the Tetracycline.

Fingers crossed things pick up for you. Finally got my doctors appointment, so I'll see what he says on Friday. No doubt it'll just be a "heres a prescription and off you go" job.

MemberMember
(@elfantasma)

Posted : 10/22/2014 10:08 am

Hey!

The cystic-like pimple I was talking about calmed down is almost gone by now. There's only some redness left. The area is flat again. No bump. I guess it wasn't a cyst then :-)

About the moisturizer, Sometimes I use a little bit a hour or something after applying Epiduo and sometimes I don't use anything. I always use some moisturizer in the morning after my shower. I've noticed my skin gets kind of oily during the day.

I picked up a new prescription for another 45 days of tetracycline. I haven't had any side-effects from tetracycline. Only some sickness a couple of times. Could be something else.

I'm looking forward to see what my skin looks like by month 3 and 4.

MemberMember
(@nicoleblk9)

Posted : 10/23/2014 5:34 am

I think I'm now around day 55.

This may be a total no-no but I haven't been washing off the Epiduo in the mornings for a few days now! I'm almost out of cetaphil cleanser and can't get any more until Friday, so I decided to just ride it out. I use the micellar water when I get home from work to remove the day's make-up, moisturise, then stick with the normal PM regimen (no moisturiser). It's not causing me any irritation or breakouts as of yet, so maybe it's actually beneficial for me?

My skin doesn't feel oily or dry - it's actually quite balanced. I occasionally apply moisturiser around an hour after the Epiduo, but I always feel like my skin doesn't really need it, and if I do use some, it BURNS! Plus I end up spreading residual Epiduo around and end up with it on my eyelids, which currently seem a bit flaky and irritated as a result.

The cyst-like pimple I had is still slightly red and bumpy, but no longer sore. It feels more like a scabby lump now than anything else, I'm hoping it goes in the next day or two. I'm glad yours cleared up too!

I'm still getting blackheads on my jaw line and chin, and if the clog comes out, it is very large and hard. Had two of those this morning, so I'm hoping it's still just the Epiduo pushing stuff to the surface rather than new clogs.

My forehead wasn't a massive problem area for me, I'd maybe get 3-4 pimples a month, but it is now totally clear. I can't remember the last time I broke out there - so that's a huge positive.

MemberMember
(@elfantasma)

Posted : 10/25/2014 5:04 am

It's day 73 now (2 months and 12 days).

The last couple of weeks haven't been great. I have been breaking out a little bit. I don't know whether it is new acne or Epiduo still pushing something out of my skin. Maybe it's due to the fact that I took a week of in the beginning of september.

I hope things take a turn to the better soon and i'll be able to see some consistent improvement. Although I keep telling myself, that I shouldn't judge my skin until the 3 month mark, I'm still impatient and not quite happy with the improvement so far. Primary it's because the improvement that I have seen isn't consistent.

Two weeks ago I was so happy with my skin, but now i'm not. It's funny how things can change so fast.

I read somewhere on this forum, that you could end up having 15 months worth of pimples in 3 months when you're using a retinoid (worst case scenario). It haven't been that bad for me, but I had hoped to have seen more consistent improvement by now.

Right now i have 2-3 pimples. 2 on my left cheek and one on my right side chin (this one is a pimple which has been lurking for months).

I got a new prescription for tetracycline, but it doesn't seem to be effective right now. Maybe the bacteria developed a tolerance.

------------------------------

I hope your skin gets better soon as well. We need some consistent improvement )

My forehead isn't a problem at all. That's where I can see whether the antibiotics are working or not. Hehe.

MemberMember
(@nicoleblk9)

Posted : 10/27/2014 12:18 pm

Yeah maybe the issue is a bit of bacterial resistance? I have one 'pimple' on my jawline, that I thought was actually just a bit of a heat rash, but it isn't shifting. It's not inflamed, sore, or anything like that - sort of just a lump? I also had an incident on Saturday where I could see this huge blackhead literally poking out of my cheek - bizarre as I've never ever had acne on my cheeks. I could literally pull it out with my fingernails, so strange. It's left a little red mark but nothing too bad. I agree, lack of consistent improvement is frustrating.

I was starting to feel a bit like "oh, this might not be working"...but my 'before' pictures prove to me that even if it isn't perfect, it is 99% better than it was. I showed my GP on Friday and he didn't believe me - he thought I was wearing some sort of magic make-up! He prescribed me 2 more boxes of Tetracycline (1 month each box), but said that after the 3rd month I have to take a month off, then start taking it again. I presume this is to help prevent tolerance, but the thought of it is a bit scary!

Also...I'm having trouble getting hold of Epiduo. When I got my original tube, it was only by chance as it was an odd tube at the back of the dispenser for another product - they had originally told me there was a 'manufacturing fault' and they hadn't had any in for ages, and weren't getting any in the near future. Went back for my repeat prescription last week (2 months on) and was told it was still under manufacturing fault, they weren't getting any for at least another 3 months (!!!), and to go back to my GP for an alternative. The thought of that terrified me, as Epiduo is the only thing that seems to have ever worked. I asked the pharmacist for my prescription back and she said she couldn't, as she'd given me the Tetracycline that was on the same one, and to get in touch with my doctor again. The receptionist at the doctors told me she couldn't get the GP to print me another prescription and I'd need to make another appointment, which could take weeks. Anyway, funny thing about it all is, if I look online at registered legitimate pharmacies (e.g. Pharmacy2U), they have Epiduo in stock and will issue it with a valid NHS prescription! I feel like I'm being fobbed off a little bit .

MemberMember
(@elfantasma)

Posted : 11/03/2014 10:59 am

Sorry for the late reply. I've been super busy lately.

Did you get hold of a tube of Epiduo?

I can renew my prescription of Epiduo in 11 days. The problem with Epiduo and other topicals is that we have to keep using the product to stay "clear". Hopefully our skin gets better someday.

Day 80

My skin actually looks generally good. I'm not clear, but the overall apperance of my skin is good.

Still using Epiduo once a day and spot treating with Dans BP 5%.

Using tetracycline 500mg x 2 a day as well.

MemberMember
(@elfantasma)

Posted : 11/04/2014 1:32 pm

I've decided to stop using the antibiotics after about 2 months of use. After about 4 weeks i had a clear up lasting about two weeks. My forehead cleared up completely (i'm not using anything on my forehead). My forehead is now back to how it use to be.

Besides that I use to have a couple of spots on my back. Now my back have gone from very mild to moderate. It's pretty strange. I haven't changed anything in my habits and daily life. It must be a sign that something is going on in my body. I've been prescribed tetracycline a couple of times before in my youth and therefore I think that the acne bacteria has something kind of "resistance" from earlier use and it has probably killed some of the "good" bacteria in the gut.

I'll keep using Epiduo which i'm fairly happy about.

MemberMember
(@nicoleblk9)

Posted : 11/07/2014 5:39 am

Sorry to hear about your setback. I'm a little concerned about coming off the Tetracycline in 2 weeks, but just hoping the Epiduo keeps doing it's job.

The only thing I'm really concerned about at the mnute is blackheads in strange places (another one popped up in the crease between my mouth and nose today) when I never got blackheads at all before...and also my red complexion. I've always been a bit on the red-side, but it seems permanent now, and I can feel that it is typically much warmer than the rest of my body.

I think I'm just coming to the end of Week 10 now, overall progress is very good :)

Update: I couldn't find my CeraVe moisturiser yesterday so went back to the Cetaphil, and thought "ugh no, not this horrible thick greasy stuff again". I slathered on two pumps worth and let it soak in. No burning, no stinging, and the redness in my complexion has gone. I have been using the Cetaphil again now for two days and my skin is the clearest it's ever been - no blackheads even! All I have is 3 hyperpigmentation patches from my skin picking incident last week. I'm thinking maybe I was mildly allergic to the CeraVe?

MemberMember
(@elfantasma)

Posted : 11/13/2014 1:45 pm

Hi!

I wouldn't call it a setback. It just that the antibiotics did nothing for me.

It's almost three months now. Actually it's tomorrow. Things have been really good the last couple of weeks. Consistent improvement and very little impurities.

Patience is the key.

MemberMember
(@elfantasma)

Posted : 11/26/2014 11:44 am

It's been a couple of weeks since last update.

Things are still good. I had a couple of pimples. Nothing serious. They go away in a couple of days and almost never surface and turn into a real noticeable pimple.

It's been about 3 month now.

MemberMember
(@nicoleblk9)

Posted : 12/08/2014 6:54 am

Hi there

I haven't posted for a while, mainly because I've had no problems! I came off the Lymecycline 15 days ago for my recommended month long break, and since then I've had one 'pimple'. Well I say pimple, it was more of a hard lump in my chin crease that wasn't even visible and went away after a couple of days of ignoring it! I had one on my jawline too that was incredibly sore, inflamed, and came to a huge head, but I think that was self inflicted (accidentally touched the area with peracetic acid residue on my fingers, lump came up the same day). Not seeing any negative reaction to stopping the antibiotics yet, so I'm hoping to stay off them!

I'm in love with the Epiduo. I don't care if I've become reliant on it, I'd happily stick to that for the rest of my forseeable future than have to go through gruelling cleansing, moisturising, scrubbing etc. routines!

I hit a huge milestone yesterday. I got myself up, showered, dressed...wandered into the bathroom armed with my concealer ready to cover up any hyperpigmentation, spots etc. and couldn't find anything to cover! My skin is now 100% clear for the first time in my adult life!

I just worked out that to achieve that, it took 14 weeks and 2 days. The first 12 weeks were assisted with one daily 408mg Lymecycline capsule.

To anyone out there expecting to see instant results, please don't be disheartened! Epiduo really is a rollercoaster ride, but for me, it was 100% worth it!

Good luck! (Pictures to follow soon hopefully!)

Emmygirl liked
MemberMember
(@elfantasma)

Posted : 01/18/2015 8:48 am

A little update:

Things are still generally good. Epiduo is keeping me 90% clear. Right now i'm focusing on my diet to get the last 10%.