Notifications
Clear all

Diane 35 And Clindoxyl Gel Log (Pics)

MemberMember
(@dunedain)

Posted : 12/02/2013 9:48 am

End of month 5

I am just about healed from my last break out......as per usual. I WILL say this though, I noticed in these past few days that my skin is a LOT smoother around the areas that I had closed comedones and such. I don't know if this is a recent change?? But I am positive now that my clogged pores are just coming to a head and then going away. I know i've say this before but I also wasn't 100% sure cause it's kind of hard to keep track when you have so many of them....but today when I was applying moisturiser it felt really smooth.

So, I mean, I guess it's working PAINFULLY SLOWLY. I think the AHA has been helping though! I've used it for about 2ish weeks now....and I hope I've gotten over any initial breakout. I'm hoping what I had last week was it because I don't want to deal with another one during Christmas time sad.png. A lot of my marks have gotten lighter, though they're still there. My skin feels really soft as well, despite the couple of zits I have left on my jawline.

The clindamycin phosphate has been.......sort of whatever. I mean I don't know, my regimen now at night is Cetaphil oily skin cleanser -> clindamycin phosphate (liquid) -> 1/2 AHA + 1/2 Cetaphil moisturising lotion -> 5% BP spot treatment... so it's sort of hard to tell if the clindamycin itself is doing anything lol. I resorted back to the 5% BP I used for like 6 years before I switched to Dan's 2.5%. I know he says 5% is too harsh, but his BP screwed up my face so badly sad.png that's why I had to go on the pill and everything in the first place. This 5% one has never caused any burning, excessive drying, flaking, etc, even when I use almost the same amount as Dan's recommended amount (though I don't follow the DKR anymore). For anyone who's curious for an alternative BP gel, the brand I use is Benzagel (5).

MemberMember
(@dunedain)

Posted : 12/10/2013 8:15 am

5.25 months:

So I'm currently in my "clear" face, and I am crossing my fingers because I feel good about this month and I'm hoping it'll stay this way.... BUT I am really happy about one thing in particular...

My PIH is fading!! And it's fading QUITE fast! Ever since I incorporated AHA like 3 weeks ago they've been getting lighter and lighter. At first I thought it was just a trick of the light, or that they had been fading for a while now, but this morning when I looked at it, it looked a lot lighter than before! Also the texture of my skin is really smooth and a lot of my clogged pores have gone away - either they've turned into white heads or the AHA has just unclogged them I guess? BEST DECISION OF MY LIFE. Now I just hope my acne is under control. 3 more weeks until I've been on Diane for 6 full months.

MemberMember
(@kalinka)

Posted : 12/10/2013 3:47 pm

5.25 months:

So I'm currently in my "clear" face, and I am crossing my fingers because I feel good about this month and I'm hoping it'll stay this way.... BUT I am really happy about one thing in particular...

My PIH is fading!! And it's fading QUITE fast! Ever since I incorporated AHA like 3 weeks ago they've been getting lighter and lighter. At first I thought it was just a trick of the light, or that they had been fading for a while now, but this morning when I looked at it, it looked a lot lighter than before! Also the texture of my skin is really smooth and a lot of my clogged pores have gone away - either they've turned into white heads or the AHA has just unclogged them I guess? BEST DECISION OF MY LIFE. Now I just hope my acne is under control. 3 more weeks until I've been on Diane for 6 full months.

Can you tell me how red your PIH was initally? I've been using AHA for like 2 months now and I don't know that mine has really faded all that much :( Just wondering for comparison to know that it is actually working for me (if yours weren't as red as mine that'd explain why mine's not so faded). Right now my jaw and cheeks are covered in pinkish brown marks.. they're mostly from cystic spots that lingered on my face for months at a time. My progress with fading them really seems to have slowed in the past month. I do use sunscreen every day so I don't think it's sun damage slowing it. I also noticed my AHA cream doesn't sting any more when I put it on.

It's just disheartening since my skin's been clear for a couple months now and the PIH is still persistently there and noticeable.

MemberMember
(@dunedain)

Posted : 12/10/2013 11:00 pm

5.25 months:

Can you tell me how red your PIH was initally? I've been using AHA for like 2 months now and I don't know that mine has really faded all that much sad.png Just wondering for comparison to know that it is actually working for me (if yours weren't as red as mine that'd explain why mine's not so faded). Right now my jaw and cheeks are covered in pinkish brown marks.. they're mostly from cystic spots that lingered on my face for months at a time. My progress with fading them really seems to have slowed in the past month. I do use sunscreen every day so I don't think it's sun damage slowing it. I also noticed my AHA cream doesn't sting any more when I put it on.

It's just disheartening since my skin's been clear for a couple months now and the PIH is still persistently there and noticeable.

Um some were new, so they were kind of more fresh/bright red. Some are pretty old so they're kinda dull - the duller ones got duller/faded around the edges and the brighter ones got duller too. They're kind of just getting smaller and smaller. I should add in my update that I still have a LOT of PIH - I've by no means gotten 'rid' of them. They're just showing improvement! I guess by 'fast' I just meant faster than doing nothing at all, haha, which is what I've done for the past 7 years that I've had acne. Honestly it'll probably take me half a year to really clear away my marks because I have so many and have had them for so long.

The AHA still stings, and I use about 2/3 AHA and 1/3 moisturiser..but my skin is pretty sensitive. Also I've never had cystic acne so I don't know if the PIH left behind might be different? I primarily get inflammatory whiteheads..and depending on the size (and how much I've picked at it, unfortunately), it leaves a light pink to a bright red mark. Are you using Dan's AHA?

MemberMember
(@kalinka)

Posted : 12/10/2013 11:21 pm

5.25 months:

Can you tell me how red your PIH was initally? I've been using AHA for like 2 months now and I don't know that mine has really faded all that much sad.png Just wondering for comparison to know that it is actually working for me (if yours weren't as red as mine that'd explain why mine's not so faded). Right now my jaw and cheeks are covered in pinkish brown marks.. they're mostly from cystic spots that lingered on my face for months at a time. My progress with fading them really seems to have slowed in the past month. I do use sunscreen every day so I don't think it's sun damage slowing it. I also noticed my AHA cream doesn't sting any more when I put it on.

Um some were new, so they were kind of more fresh/bright red. Some are pretty old so they're kinda dull - the duller ones got duller/faded around the edges and the brighter ones got duller too. They're kind of just getting smaller and smaller. I should add in my update that I still have a LOT of PIH - I've by no means gotten 'rid' of them. They're just showing improvement! I guess by 'fast' I just meant faster than doing nothing at all, haha, which is what I've done for the past 7 years that I've had acne. Honestly it'll probably take me half a year to really clear away my marks because I have so many and have had them for so long.

The AHA still stings, and I use about 2/3 AHA and 1/3 moisturiser..but my skin is pretty sensitive. Also I've never had cystic acne so I don't know if the PIH left behind might be different? I primarily get inflammatory whiteheads..and depending on the size (and how much I've picked at it, unfortunately), it leaves a light pink to a bright red mark. Are you using Dan's AHA?

Yeah, I am.

Thanks for replying :) I guess patience is key.

I also noticed that the marks seem to get smaller, rather than fading one by one. Overall the colouring on my face is still the same pattern, but it's lighter.

MemberMember
(@dunedain)

Posted : 12/22/2013 2:04 pm

5.5 months into Diane...almost 6 months, wow!

RECENTLY, my skin has been very clear! I think the last time I posted about my skin was almost 2 weeks ago, and I've NEVER had consistently clear skin for 2 whole weeks. WELL, when I say clear...I still usually have 1 active. But it's small, and will go away really quickly! It's annoying to find another one slowly popping up somewhere else, BUT for me to only have ONE active on my face at a tiem is a HUGE improvement.

I've been using the AHA for a month now and it is amazing! Yes it works a little slowly - I don't use it every night because I think my face is just very sensitive, or at least it'll take time before I reach that point where my skin can adjust. But the scars on my left cheek have faded substantially! I've been getting new zits exclusively on my right cheek...so it's been leaving some fresh marks unfortunately, and my skin is the kind where it will leave a mark even if you leave it alone and don't even treat it. But my old marks have also faded significantly if you look past the new ones. Even my friends have commented that my skin has been looking clearer, which is such a confidence boost for me!

I am still prepared for another break out, even though it's the longest I've gone without a terrible break out, I'm still trying to be diligent about my skin care routine. I know for some people 6 months was the turning point for them and I'm pretty sure I'm one of those people, with the way my skin is. I'm super happy because I REALLY didn't want to go on any oral antibiotics in the new year. I think I'll give it until the end of January, once I'm well across the 6 month mark, to see if antibiotics is something I seriously need to consider. Otherwise, I'm hoping my hyperpigmentation will practically be gone by the time summer rolls around!

MemberMember
(@dunedain)

Posted : 12/27/2013 10:12 am

5.75 months

I still haven't gotten any breakouts! I only have small closed comedones and they sometimes turn into zits, but literally go away either within the day, or overnight. Sometimes even without the BP for spot treatment! The quality of my skin is looking better and better too thanks to the AHA. The only thing is I left my AHA at my mom's place so I'll have to go a week without it :(! But I'll be making a trip home next week to pick it up because I can't be without it!

Things are looking really good though :) I guess the wait was worth it after all!

Kalinka liked
MemberMember
(@dunedain)

Posted : 01/11/2014 10:08 am

6 months

I can't believe I've actually been so patient with Diane and waited a full HALF YEAR...but I have definitely seen results! I still get 1 zit about once a week, but they are always very small and go away quickly, so I will take this as a victory! I've also been using AHA for just about over a month now and it is fantastic! It's almost like i can see results overnight! However, I have a LOT of PIH so while they're fading at the edges, a lot of them are still really noticeable. But i'm willing to wait until summer for them to fade.

The overall texture of my skin has improved a lot and I'm pretty sure that's all the AHA. Most of my closed comedones are gone now as I used to have a lot. I also noticed that the blackheads on my nose are all gone. Not that I had a ton of them - they were only noticeable if you looked really up close and focused on that area, but that was really the least of my problems. I guess my fight with active acne....is basically OVER! After 10 LONG YEARS of fighting it.......I finally feel clear! I'm ready for the next battle...my PIH. But hey as long as my skin stays clear, I don't really mind waiting again. :D

Gilps24 and Kalinka liked
MemberMember
(@gilps24)

Posted : 01/12/2014 9:35 am

Hey Tatii - Congrats :) what AHA are you using? xx

MemberMember
(@dunedain)

Posted : 01/14/2014 12:33 am

Hey Tatii - Congrats smile.png what AHA are you using? xx

Thank you!

I am using Dan's AHA :)

MemberMember
(@dunedain)

Posted : 01/22/2014 9:41 am

6.5 months

So I just started my 'period week' for the first time in 4 months as I've just been skipping it....and I'm super nervous! I've already had a few spots but they're all flat now....I think my problem is seriously that I pick too much. They always leave a mark whether I pick at it or not BUT they could be soo much smaller if I just leave them alone. And because I pick, they always end up as open wounds that take forever to heal. The AHA's been good to my skin but now that a lot of them are lighter, the newer, darker ones stick out SO MUCH. I mean I guess that's better than having a million dark marks everywhere...but it's just an eye sore.

I'm considering doing one of those lactic acid peels to hopefully speed up the process. I'm also considering switching back to clindoxyl gel because I'm getting lazy...it's so much work applying clindamycin first and then spot treating with bp.

Hopefully my skin will be all healed up by the end of next week and there will be no new breakouts during my period! My boyfriend's terrified i'm going to be crazy moody this week since he hasn't had to deal with my PMS in months now haha. :P

MemberMember
(@dunedain)

Posted : 01/25/2014 11:07 am

It's only been 3 days since my last update but all my open-wound spots from picking have healed! I put on polysporin like all day/all night so it healed pretty quickly. Then I slathered on AHA and a lot of the spots have already faded!

I've only got 2 spots now, but they're not even really pimples? They're flesh coloured bumps that are really small, and they don't hurt when you touch them and it's just a slight bump. But it's on my temple so my hair usually covers it. I've been using BP on it but I feel like since it's not a "zit" it's not responding as well??

5 days into my period week and I have had no new breakouts!! Crossing my fingers ><

MemberMember
(@purple123)

Posted : 01/25/2014 11:27 am

Hi, I was on Diane 35 for a while in my early 20s. I ended up having blood clots and immediately stopped. I don't smoke or have any relevant history. Of course, it doesn't mean you will have any problems, but just wanted to share as a reminder to pay attention to any symptoms you may have (leg pain, especially in the calf; headache that doesn't go away for more than a few hours; etc.).

MemberMember
(@dunedain)

Posted : 01/26/2014 12:26 am

Hi, I was on Diane 35 for a while in my early 20s. I ended up having blood clots and immediately stopped. I don't smoke or have any relevant history. Of course, it doesn't mean you will have any problems, but just wanted to share as a reminder to pay attention to any symptoms you may have (leg pain, especially in the calf; headache that doesn't go away for more than a few hours; etc.).

Thanks for sharing! I do pay close attention to my body, but so far so good. I really don't get any side effects from Diane anymore, but I'll still be attentive!

purple123 liked
MemberMember
(@dunedain)

Posted : 01/29/2014 4:37 pm

WOOHOO period week is over!!!

To summarise, I basically had a total of 3 spots throughout my entire period week, and they came at different times so I never had any more than 2 actives on my face! One is totally gone, one is practically healed but slightly raised and the last is midway through healing. I must say I'm so glad this week is over! Soo happy and relieved that I didn't breakout the way I did before with Diane.

I'm really glad that I stuck it out with Diane. By month 5 I was so close to giving up on it and start a course of antibiotics - so many people were seeing results by month 4 and I was still getting breakouts at the same time every month. Just pushing through until the end of the year was the best decision I've ever made! I guess I'm pretty unlucky, it took so long for it to start working on my skin. But I've literally never been so happy with my skin before!

I've still got a lot of hyperpigmentation and to be honest I was getting a little bummed out, but I took a look at some old photos that I had of my skin last year and compared it and it just looked totally different! Sometimes I get so obsessed with how my skin looks NOW that I don't get the "big picture" and realise how much I've improved. I'm still using Dan's AHA which is literally a life-saver, and I'm thinking about looking into some DIY peels to help speed up the process. :)

MemberMember
(@emmaecho)

Posted : 01/29/2014 5:19 pm

That's really good news! Sounds like it's going to be easier from now on. Will be interested in hearing about your DIY peels when you get started!

MemberMember
(@dunedain)

Posted : 02/03/2014 2:21 am

That's really good news! Sounds like it's going to be easier from now on. Will be interested in hearing about your DIY peels when you get started!

Thanks! Hopefully it'll be smooth sailing from here! I'll update when I finally get a peel. Still too nervous to actually order one atm, haha :D.

7 months on Diane now! I've got one spot under my left eye....frustrating because it's in the SAME SPOT and I've had a recurring zit there for the past 3 months. -_- It's just ugly because it's where I already have a red mark so every time I get a pimple there the mark just gets darker and darker. I probably get a zit there though cause I always try to cover that part up and probably put on too much concealer on that one area.

Otherwise, nothing much to report on. Just working on that PIH. I really want to get a peel but I'm just so scared :(

MemberMember
(@dunedain)

Posted : 02/08/2014 11:31 am

7 months

My left cheek has been breaking out a little. :( Nothing big, just 2-3 pimples, but they're taking FOREVER to go away. It's almost worse to get a pimple when I'm clear because I obsess over it so much and I feel like it's so noticeable because the rest of my face looks smooth and even. :'(

I've been bad and slept in my makeup for a couple nights so...........I need to kick that habit -_-

MemberMember
(@dunedain)

Posted : 02/10/2014 11:12 pm

UGHH left side of my cheek is still breaking out. Nothing bad, but as soon as one gets better, I see another zit popping up somewhere else. -_- On a brighter note, my right cheek is super clear and smooth and the PIH is fading. Just wish my left cheek would get it together.

I wonder why I suddenly broke out though :( It's been so long

MemberMember
(@dunedain)

Posted : 02/12/2014 2:47 pm

ANDDD the break out is gone now, yay!

I really can't explain what happened though. I had my period for the first time in like 3 months at the end of January, but this breakout was mid-pack...seems kind of unrelated to me going off Diane for a week. Maybe I've been eating poorly...or not getting enough sleep...or probably even stress.

Anyway! Thankfully my right cheek is still clear and the PIH is continuing to fade. AHA has made my skin feel sooo much softer and smoother. It's gotten rid of practically all my closed comedones 'cause I had a lot. I've also noticed recently that i don't have to touch up my makeup much during the day. Maybe only once halfway through it?

I'm going to give my left cheek a couple weeks for the newer marks to fade a little, and if my skin stays clear, I'm going to order some 35% glycolic acid and see how that goes!

Kalinka liked
MemberMember
(@dunedain)

Posted : 02/23/2014 8:16 pm

so acne.org won't let me edit my last post so i'm gonna just redo it below -_-

7.5 months

So not much to update other than the fact that my skin has recovered from that random breakout and seems to be pretty calm right now. I used the Borghese mud mask about 4x this week and I think that helped lighten the marks faster and prevent new ones from popping up.

Anyway I finally decided to dig up some old photos and then upload some "now" photos.

Late January/early February I had just started to use the DKR and my skin was not great, still getting actives:

Early April 2013 I was fairly clear but had lots of hyperpigmentation (right-left)

Early May 2013, I developed some weird allergic reaction to BP after using the DKR for over 4 months which resulted in my skin getting super scaly, red, dry and itchy

It actually got worse when I went on Alesse in June but I didn't take any pictures of how bad it was because I was so depressed...

Anyway, 7.5 months later of my Diane 35/Clindamycin combo, plus 2.5 months of using Dan's 10% AHA+ almost every night, the current state of my skin is as follows (left - right)

My left cheek does have a few more scars because I think those first few months of Diane made me break out worse on my left cheek than right, compounded by my recent breakout that was all the left side. But now it's smooth and at least all the marks are a lot duller/faded. The right side of my cheek is doing well! They're still there but noticeably lighter. After some deliberation and researching I've decided to order the 40% lactic acid from makeup artists choice as my first DIY peel. smile.png

MemberMember
(@dunedain)

Posted : 03/12/2014 9:32 pm

I ordered the Makeup Artist's Chioce 40% lactic acid a couple weeks ago and I got it in the mail yesterday! I just did it when I got home tonight. I left it on for about 3 minutes? It says like 3-7 minutes on the instructions and since it's my first time I just left it on for the lowest amount of time, was probably a little less than 3 min tbh cause I was getting nervous. It stings a little, but it actually stings less than when I first used Dan's AHA! Hopefully my skin won't get super peely tomorrow - it's not supposed to anyway since lactic acid is supposedly the mildest one of the AHAs.

Anyway, as far as acne update goes, I have on spot right at the bottom right corner of my chin! It's period week so I'm not too surprised. Also I've started worrying a lot less about one pimple because the rest of my skin is doing SO well! Honestly I'm just more concerned about getting rid of my hyperpigmentation now than anything. Will hopefully do the lactic acid peel a few more times and then post some update pics in a week or two. Crossing my fingers!! :)

MemberMember
(@dunedain)

Posted : 03/19/2014 10:01 am

I seem to be purging a little from the peel. I've got one spot that is not yet formed but not really going away either and 2 other spots that aren't pimples anymore, but are just open wounds as a result of me picking from it -_- Marks appear to be fading on the rest of my face, and the texture is quite smooth. I've only done the peel twice so far...wondering how long I should wait inbetween each one? And how long until my skin stops purging? I read somewhere that it might take about 4-6 weeks so I guess I'll just have to wait and see :/

Ughhh I just hate these open wounds because they take FOREVER to heal properly. If I left it alone it would've been nice and flat by now and I could just cover it up with concealer. :(

MemberMember
(@dunedain)

Posted : 04/12/2014 10:10 pm

So the breakout from the peel took a while to heal, but it did! It gave me a bit of a scare though so I stopped doing it for about 3 weeks. Did one again tonight so hopefully the purge won't be as bad! I can see the results though, despite getting new pimples, so I'm just going to push on through! Will update with pictures next time hopefully.

I switched over to the brand name Diane and I'm 2 weeks into it now. So far I've noticed no difference in my skin - I've been clear for the past few weeks so I hope this means no initial breakout from that. The only side effect is my appetite went up again and my boobs are growing, which is an awesome plus (flat asian girl). Also, turns out it was the same price as the generic brand (????) so I was kind of annoyed. If I knew I could've been on the brand name since the very beginning and it might've kicked in a little faster.

I rarely use the clindamycin now, as I don't have any actives. I don't know if I'm supposed to continue using it even when I have no spots?? Seems like it would just dry out my skin. I use AHA nightly so I feel like I already have something to keep pimples from forming. Hoping that my hyperpigmentation fades faster so that I can be more confident in the summer time :D

MemberMember
(@dunedain)

Posted : 04/20/2014 8:00 pm

Photo update: (right cheek, left cheek)

Ignore the little dot on the bottom of my left cheek, just a spot treatment with BP. Some progress pics on the marks with better lighting. I don't know why one side is so yellow and the other side so blue?

I will be using the lactic acid peel tonight again - I only do it about once a week because I think last time I did it too often so my skin freaked out a little. I've also noticed I have some very small ice-pick scars on my temples and a couple on my cheeks, which is kind of upsetting because I don't know how to get rid of those. sad.png

I think it's fading quite well. But because I broke out from the peel last time, I had a few new marks to add to my skin... I don't mind getting the occasional pimple, honestly I don't. But how am I supposed to improve the complexion if my skin if I keep getting new MARKS. My old ones don't fade fast enough! sad.png