Notifications
Clear all

Spironolactone 100 Mg + Birth Control Pill

MemberMember
(@cl1234)

Posted : 04/17/2012 11:35 pm

Do you have tiny little bumps all over your chin and around your nose and stuff? Is that what you mean by little bumps? Because that is what seems to have happened to me! I have a bunch of tiny bumps that you can see when the skin is stretched out and stuff!

MemberMember
(@hopefulgirl123)

Posted : 04/22/2012 11:59 pm

@cl1234 - My bumps are just spread out on my cheeks. My cheeks are doing a little better, but still not clear. The bumps aren't really on my chin. When I do stretch out my skin, I can see clogged pores. ):

Day 105 on 100 mg Spiro

Skin's doing okay. Have a few new bumps. Two actives that are on their way out. So sick of getting new actives. When will it stop?? Honestly I wouldn't mind having new actives if my hyperpigmentation weren't present. The dark marks stress me out as much as or even more than actives.

I had my 4th treatment of non-ablative fractional laser this past Monday, but I can't tell if it's helping. I keep getting new dark marks so maybe my older dark marks have gotten lighter.. but I still have newer dark marks! Very annoying!

I recently bought the Olay ProX Advanced Cleansing System. I really wanted the Clarisonic Mia 2 but didn't want to pay the $150, so I researched and found out that the Olay brush is comparable. I'm sure it's not AS good, but it still works. I feel that it really does clean my skin thoroughly! It helps make sure all my makeup has been taken off my face.

http://www.olay.com/skin-care-products/olay-professional/advanced-cleansing-system?pid=075609037047

On Amazon, it's really cheap! <$30

MemberMember
(@cl1234)

Posted : 04/25/2012 9:59 am

Just wanted to see how you were doing! I hope you're hanging in there. I know what you mean about the stress of marks. I used to never have problems with marks, but when I started spiro and my breakouts got worse and more frequent I began to get marks. The most frustrating part was when you have marks from your last breakout then get a NEW breakout! The ONLY sort of good news is that my breakouts are getting less frequent.. just wish they weren't there! Don't get discouraged! I always thought three months was supposed to be the lucky number, but I have read probably almost every review of spiro on the internet (I'm only kind of exaggerating haha) and it seems a lot of people see results at 4,5,6 months too.

MemberMember
(@hopefulgirl123)

Posted : 04/26/2012 6:18 pm

Just wanted to see how you were doing! I hope you're hanging in there. I know what you mean about the stress of marks. I used to never have problems with marks, but when I started spiro and my breakouts got worse and more frequent I began to get marks. The most frustrating part was when you have marks from your last breakout then get a NEW breakout! The ONLY sort of good news is that my breakouts are getting less frequent.. just wish they weren't there! Don't get discouraged! I always thought three months was supposed to be the lucky number, but I have read probably almost every review of spiro on the internet (I'm only kind of exaggerating haha) and it seems a lot of people see results at 4,5,6 months too.

Hey I'm doing okay... My skin isn't perfect, but I'm sure it does look better than before I started spiro or the early breakout from spiro. I am breaking out less like you, so I guess I should be happy about that!

I'm still hopeful that my skin will be clear-ish in another month or so. Just not sure what to do about all my red marks. I have too many to deal with! Ugh!

Anyway, glad to hear you're breaking out less! rolleyes.gif

MemberMember
(@hopefulgirl123)

Posted : 05/01/2012 10:24 pm

Day 113 on 100mg Spiro

-I'm a bit depressed right now. I haven't felt this way in a while. My skin does not seem to be doing that much better. I'm still getting actives, and my hyperpigmentation is all over my 2 cheeks. I'm not sure what to do at this point. It's been almost 4 months since I started spiro. How much longer do I have to wait to see better results??

MemberMember
(@cl1234)

Posted : 05/06/2012 2:30 am

Hang in there girl. I am right there with ya. I'm still breaking out some. :-/ whats your regimen like? I've been trying to tweak mine because I think that has something to do with it.

MemberMember
(@hopefulgirl123)

Posted : 05/14/2012 6:04 pm

Day 126 on 100mg Spironolactone

Wow, it's been a long time since I started spiro! 18 weeks!!! Over 4 months!!

My skin is doing better... It's nowhere near perfect. Not even a little bit. My hyperpigmentation is still killing me. I hate looking at my face in the mirror with or without makeup. Even with makeup, some hyperpigmentation peeks through. I am happy that right now, I don't have any actives. I had a couple last week, but compared to my initial breakout, this was nothing. I hope to continue to have fewer and fewer actives each week. It's a nice feeling waking up and not seeing any actives on my face. It's a rare feeling, I must say.

My regimen still includes:

Jojoba oil to take off makeup

Clean and Clear Foaming Cleanser (has an anti-bacteria active ingredient)

Olay Pro X to ensure all my makeup is off

Salicylic acid all over

BP (every other day)

Aveeno moisturizer

Still hopeful!

MemberMember
(@hopefulgirl123)

Posted : 05/26/2012 12:10 am

Day 137 on 100mg Spiro

+ I've noticed my dark marks have gotten lighter! Hooray! However, I'm still dealing with some REALLY dark ones - these were more recent actives.

+ No current actives! I haven't had an active in over a week. It's AMAZING!! So happy about this. rolleyes.gif

+ Staying positive and hopeful!

+ I've come to a realization that no one is perfect, and I have to accept that. I have to accept the fact that I'm not perfect, and neither is my skin. I've grown up with the mentality that everything in my life (of course including my looks) needs to be flawless. I'm beginning to see how unrealistic this is and that it's okay to have some flaws. Sure, it's not pretty to see dark marks on my face when I have no makeup on, but I'm getting more and more okay with it. I'm not saying I don't care at all... but I'm trying really hard not to let it affect me as much as it used to. Letting go of perfection and accepting imperfection is... freeing.

Current Makeup Routine:

- Bare Minerals Primer http://www.bareescen...=1&cgid=BE_PREP

- Clinique Even Better Liquid Foundation spf 15 http://www.clinique....F-15/index.tmpl

OR

- Bare Minerals

If I do liquid, I also finish with Bare Minerals powder and Mineral Veil

MemberMember
(@hopefulgirl123)

Posted : 06/26/2012 8:07 pm

Wow, I don't even know what day I'm on. I started Spironolactone on January 19, 2012, so it's been about 5 months. MY SKIN IS DOING SO WELL. I cannot emphasize how happy I am with my skin. What I went through in the beginning was SOOOO worth it. The last pimple I had (which was a few days ago) was tiny. I didn't even care about it at all! It's an amazing feeling waking up and not expecting a pimple. Before, I would wake up wondering what new pimple I had that day.

I HIGHLY recommend spiro for any of you who believe you have hormonal acne. My skin isn't oily, my hair isn't oily.. and... I HAVE NO CHEST OR BACK ACNE!!!! I didn't really have too much of a problem before spiro, but it definitely was not 100% clear... and now it is!!

rolleyes.gif

MemberMember
(@hopefulgirl123)

Posted : 08/23/2012 5:42 pm

It's been about 7 months since I started Spironolactone. I can't believe it's been that long! My skin is doing awesome. I hardly ever get pimples! When I actually do get one, it's surprising and not devastating like it used to be. The last time I had a break out, it was due to my own bad habits - I started school again and I would rest my chin in my hands... a few days later: breakout on my chin! I've gotten out of the habit, so now my chin is clear.

For those of you struggling with Spiro:

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE give it time. It's not going to work quickly. It takes time, and it is SO worth it. I was really depressed in the beginning. My skin was HORRID. The worst it's ever been in my 23 years of living. Now, I don't obsess over my skin. I still take care of it with washes and lotion, but I don't think about it more than 2x a day (morning and night). YOU CAN DO IT!

Good luck!

MemberMember
(@rightmeow)

Posted : 08/26/2012 2:29 am

Thanks for sharing your story! It's so motivating!

Your signature states you still use topicals daily. Is this true? Or do you find you only need to take care of it with washes and lotions like you stated in your last post?

Thanks again :)

MemberMember
(@ekr150)

Posted : 08/27/2012 9:07 am

It's been about 7 months since I started Spironolactone. I can't believe it's been that long! My skin is doing awesome. I hardly ever get pimples! When I actually do get one, it's surprising and not devastating like it used to be. The last time I had a break out, it was due to my own bad habits - I started school again and I would rest my chin in my hands... a few days later: breakout on my chin! I've gotten out of the habit, so now my chin is clear.

For those of you struggling with Spiro:

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE give it time. It's not going to work quickly. It takes time, and it is SO worth it. I was really depressed in the beginning. My skin was HORRID. The worst it's ever been in my 23 years of living. Now, I don't obsess over my skin. I still take care of it with washes and lotion, but I don't think about it more than 2x a day (morning and night). YOU CAN DO IT!

Good luck!

Wooooo! Congrats! I read your log and we have pretty much the exact same story. I am on my 5th month of Spiro and my skin is doing GREAT! There is still room for improvement but I'm no longer obsessing over my skin 10000x a day. Yay Spiro!

MemberMember
(@hopefulgirl123)

Posted : 08/28/2012 11:22 am

Thanks for sharing your story! It's so motivating!

Your signature states you still use topicals daily. Is this true? Or do you find you only need to take care of it with washes and lotions like you stated in your last post?

Thanks again smile.png

Hey! Thanks for reading!

I haven't been using my topicals as regularly as I used to. I think I've gotten kinda lazy. I know I should have a set regimen like I used to, but sometimes I just forget. I still use the same products though.

Good luck!

MemberMember
(@jaydeec)

Posted : 09/05/2012 2:37 am

@Hopefulgirl123 just came across your log and i've read it through. I'm so glad your skin is clear biggrin.png yay. You and @ greengables are giving me hope. I started Spiro on June 10th stopped for 2 weeks due to gastrointestinal issues. I'm almost hitting the 3 month mark. I started on 50mg, then went down to 25 mg for a little but to ease my stomach then back to 50 at night. Since then i've been able to tolerate it quite well. I recently bumped myself up to 75 because i was still experiencing the oily skin since then the oil has significantly decreased. Reading your log reminds me of my acne battle. I have alot of hyperpigmentation , I haven't seen your pics so not sure if we have about the same. I can totally relate to how you felt about your daily battles, the emotional toll: obsessing, mentally and physically checking the mirror. As we all know some days are worse then others. Just like you i feel like the pigmentation marks are just as bad if not worse. Mine take FOREVERRRRRRRRRR to fade, actually they seem to never fade. I have never picked at my skin , rarely . What mg did u start with or did you go thru all 6 mos on the same mg until you cleared? How oily was your skin to begin with? Sorry for all the questions but i like to get as much feedback as I can esp coming from someone who is now clear and has gone thru the same crap. FYI : I am not on my birth contol. I know many women report 99.9% clarity with the Spiro /birthcontrol combo.

I was using Dr murad hydroquinone on the cheek areas that seem to never break out but figure it's pointless if i continue to break out. I'll wait until i'm done. I'm sooooooooo looking forward to that day. I currently have about 4 actives. 1 that just popped up, seemingly outta nowhere. It's.... in an area where an old one was. Argggg( I hate that s**t, it seems like the area's that were healing can't heal because there's always something popping up) but I'm trying to be patient and not stress to much. I've stopped using my bp and clindamycin morning and night and am now doing tumeric and honey masks at night, washing with La roche effaclar morning and night and spot treating the actives with Epiduo and not applying it on all of my acne prone area's. Let's see how this works..fingers crossed.

MemberMember
(@hopefulgirl123)

Posted : 09/09/2012 7:09 pm

@Hopefulgirl123 just came across your log and i've read it through. I'm so glad your skin is clear biggrin.png yay. You and @ greengables are giving me hope. I started Spiro on June 10th stopped for 2 weeks due to gastrointestinal issues. I'm almost hitting the 3 month mark. I started on 50mg, then went down to 25 mg for a little but to ease my stomach then back to 50 at night. Since then i've been able to tolerate it quite well. I recently bumped myself up to 75 because i was still experiencing the oily skin since then the oil has significantly decreased. Reading your log reminds me of my acne battle. I have alot of hyperpigmentation , I haven't seen your pics so not sure if we have about the same. I can totally relate to how you felt about your daily battles, the emotional toll: obsessing, mentally and physically checking the mirror. As we all know some days are worse then others. Just like you i feel like the pigmentation marks are just as bad if not worse. Mine take FOREVERRRRRRRRRR to fade, actually they seem to never fade. I have never picked at my skin , rarely . What mg did u start with or did you go thru all 6 mos on the same mg until you cleared? How oily was your skin to begin with? Sorry for all the questions but i like to get as much feedback as I can esp coming from someone who is now clear and has gone thru the same crap. FYI : I am not on my birth contol. I know many women report 99.9% clarity with the Spiro /birthcontrol combo.

I was using Dr murad hydroquinone on the cheek areas that seem to never break out but figure it's pointless if i continue to break out. I'll wait until i'm done. I'm sooooooooo looking forward to that day. I currently have about 4 actives. 1 that just popped up, seemingly outta nowhere. It's.... in an area where an old one was. Argggg( I hate that s**t, it seems like the area's that were healing can't heal because there's always something popping up) but I'm trying to be patient and not stress to much. I've stopped using my bp and clindamycin morning and night and am now doing tumeric and honey masks at night, washing with La roche effaclar morning and night and spot treating the actives with Epiduo and not applying it on all of my acne prone area's. Let's see how this works..fingers crossed.

Hi!

I started out with 100mg and still am taking 100mg. My face was very oily before Spiro. I would put make up on in the morning, and by 2 PM, my face was noticeably oily. I hated it! My face became less oily very soon after I started Spiro. My hair, too, is no longer oily.

I still have some hyperpigmentation, but it's not as bad as before. I'm just letting my body heal itself. I haven't been putting any cream on it. I did the Sellas laser treatment, but I still had active acne at the time, so I have some untreated hyperpigmentation.

My face is very clear, but I have gotten a few pimples here and there due to resting my chin in my hands during class.

Good luck! Sounds like you're on track to clear skin!

MemberMember
(@hopefulgirl123)

Posted : 10/19/2012 11:53 pm

9 months on 100mg Spiro (and birth control pill)

+ my skin is still doing very well!

+ I hardly ever break out.

- I'm still forgetting not to rest my chin in my hands!!! It's a horrible habit, and my chin pays for it.

+ I still use salicylic acid. I hardly use BP and AHA anymore.

+ I still wash my face 2x a day and wear moisturizer.

+++ Good luck to everyone starting out Spironolactone!!! Hang in there!!!

PLEASE DON'T FORGET TO WEAR SUNSCREEN EVERY SINGLE DAY ON YOUR FACE!!!! People underestimate the power of UV rays hitting their skin. Skin cancer is extremely prevalent and you can help prevent it by wearing sunscreen as often as possible.

I really like Aveeno because it's lightweight and non-greasy. I wear it under my makeup.

http://www.aveeno.com/facialcare/positively-radiant-daily-moisturizer-spf30

MemberMember
(@sarigeegee)

Posted : 10/22/2012 2:52 pm

I'm just today at 12 weeks of 100mg of Spironolactone per day, with not much visible result. I'm getting so frustrated - how long did it take you to see results on Spiro?

MemberMember
(@hopefulgirl123)

Posted : 11/11/2012 2:48 am

I'm just today at 12 weeks of 100mg of Spironolactone per day, with not much visible result. I'm getting so frustrated - how long did it take you to see results on Spiro?

So sorry for the late response. I wasn't notified of your post.

It took about 4-5 months for my skin to be clear - this means ZERO actives.

You're almost there!!! Good luck!

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Hi everyone, it's been almost 10 months since I started spiro 100mg.

My skin is still doing great as long as I stick to my regimen! Sometimes I'm lazy and don't use the topicals (salicylic acid nowadays). I hardly ever use BP and I never use AHA. It seems like salicylic acid is enough.

MemberMember
(@hopefulgirl123)

Posted : 01/14/2013 1:41 am

~1 year on 100mg Spiro + BCP (birth control pill)

Wow, I can't believe it's been a whole year since I started. My life has changed in so many ways in just one year... and so has my skin!

I am happy to say Spiro continues to work for me. Unfortunately, my habit of resting my chin in my hands has proven difficult to stop! Due to this bad habit, I currently have 1 large active on my chin. Other than my chin, my skin has been doing very well. I'm still dealing with some scars, but I don't notice them too much especially with make up.

I don't obsess over my skin anymore. It used to consume my thoughts 24/7, but now that my skin has cleared up, I hardly think about it at all!

I continue to use Clean and Clear Foaming Facial Cleanser.

I use Salicylic acid topical.

I use Aveeno lotion with SPF every day.

I don't use BP and I don't use AHA.

Makeup:

Bare Minerals on a daily basis, but Clinique Even Better liquid foundation for nights out/ special events.

As I've said in previous posts, PLEASE BE PATIENT WITH SPIRONOLACTONE. It took MONTHS for it to work, and it was WORTH THE WAIT.

I have high hopes for anyone who uses this medication. rolleyes.gif

Also, please wear lotion with SPF if you don't already. Skin cancer is extremely prevalent, and it's important to start taking care of your skin (not just your acne) NOW!

MemberMember
(@mommabear)

Posted : 01/14/2013 4:36 pm

Thanks for the update! Your posts have been very helpful.

How is your hyperpigmentation? Have you had any treatments to correct it?

So happy for you! :)

MemberMember
(@dizzyabby)

Posted : 05/09/2013 3:04 pm

Thanks so so so much for doing such a comprehensive post of your experiences with spiro. I'm 2 weeks in, and I have just read through all your posts and they have really inspired me to stick with it.

My skin sucks at the mo, but you have definitely made me feel hopeful it will get better :)

Thanks again!!!!!

~1 year on 100mg Spiro + BCP (birth control pill)

Wow, I can't believe it's been a whole year since I started. My life has changed in so many ways in just one year... and so has my skin!

I am happy to say Spiro continues to work for me. Unfortunately, my habit of resting my chin in my hands has proven difficult to stop! Due to this bad habit, I currently have 1 large active on my chin. Other than my chin, my skin has been doing very well. I'm still dealing with some scars, but I don't notice them too much especially with make up.

I don't obsess over my skin anymore. It used to consume my thoughts 24/7, but now that my skin has cleared up, I hardly think about it at all!

I continue to use Clean and Clear Foaming Facial Cleanser.

I use Salicylic acid topical.

I use Aveeno lotion with SPF every day.

I don't use BP and I don't use AHA.

Makeup:

Bare Minerals on a daily basis, but Clinique Even Better liquid foundation for nights out/ special events.

As I've said in previous posts, PLEASE BE PATIENT WITH SPIRONOLACTONE. It took MONTHS for it to work, and it was WORTH THE WAIT.

I have high hopes for anyone who uses this medication. rolleyes.gif

Also, please wear lotion with SPF if you don't already. Skin cancer is extremely prevalent, and it's important to start taking care of your skin (not just your acne) NOW!

MemberMember
(@sgala3)

Posted : 12/01/2013 8:35 pm

hey im on 100Mg spironolactone anz yaz birth control just about to start my thrid month of it your blog has given me a lot of hope im still breaking out but im hoping these next months will just go by fast , i do have a question did you change your diet at all to kinda speed up the process or did you just continue to eat that same. i would like to know if there is anyway i can speed the process of me not breaking out so much ..please&thank you smile.png