Notifications
Clear all

Cinnamon--Why It Can Cure Acne

MemberMember
(@bradmanda)

Posted : 01/30/2012 5:08 pm

Two weeks, and still going strong with the cinnamon! I've even severely cheated (high carb drunk food binges of cookies, pizza, other crap, etc.) and no pimples, really. The only "blemishes" I've been getting are on areas of my face where I already knew I had a lot of "build up" and blackheads - by curbing the oil production on my face, it seems like a lot of these plugs and blackheads are being pushed out/rejected by my face. The resulting redness is annoying but I'm sure in the long-run in can only be a good thing.

Wish I would have known about the effectiveness of cinnamon sooner. I also have started taking a probiotic just for kicks, since one of my past acne treatments was intensive use of antibiotics, and I though that growing back some of that good bacteria could only be a plus, in addition to the relationship between how food is processed by our bodies and acne (namely, probiotics in some studies have been shown to increase glycemic control - see past posts about glycemic control/insulin levels and relationship to acne).

I will be traveling around Brazil next week for a few months, hopefully cinnamon supplements will be available there! good luck to everyone in alleviating your acne, and finding the right treatmetn (conventional or otherwise) that works for you

MemberMember
(@limpbizkitfan)

Posted : 01/31/2012 11:09 pm

let me know how it goes bro im about to start taking mine again because im almost completely clear of pimples i just need to work on redmarks now you know anything that fades redmarks pretty fast bro?

I read red marks will fade, it's actually called PIE (Post inflammatory eurethia), where the red blood cells surface to the top of your skin and for some reason over time it goes away on it's own. But I also read that keeping the red marks moisturized with vaseline and drink a lot of water.

MemberMember
(@dreamingofclearskin2011)

Posted : 02/01/2012 8:51 am

let me know how it goes bro im about to start taking mine again because im almost completely clear of pimples i just need to work on redmarks now you know anything that fades redmarks pretty fast bro?

I read red marks will fade, it's actually called PIE (Post inflammatory eurethia), where the red blood cells surface to the top of your skin and for some reason over time it goes away on it's own. But I also read that keeping the red marks moisturized with vaseline and drink a lot of water.

thanks! but i will never put vaseline on my face, that just sounds like a breakout waiting to happen LOL i dont even using any kind of topical on my face like creams or lotions. i can tell they are slowly fading but its just taking so dang long! i think i might start applying lemons topically.

MemberMember
(@limpbizkitfan)

Posted : 02/01/2012 11:54 pm

thanks! but i will never put vaseline on my face, that just sounds like a breakout waiting to happen LOL i dont even using any kind of topical on my face like creams or lotions. i can tell they are slowly fading but its just taking so dang long! i think i might start applying lemons topically.

Lol maybe not if you just put it on the redmarks only, unless you have red marks everywhereee then that'd b a problem lol.

Lemons IMO are natural but i dont think it means it's safe because it makes your skin really sensitive to sunlight. Yeah they do take a long time, some people it fades in a few weeks and for some it takes a whole year...but the good news is they DO go away, which makes me happpy lol.

MemberMember

Posted : 02/02/2012 9:53 am

mine usually take about 2 months to fade.. sucks :( cause i have no more bumps but it still looks like i have extrememyl bad acne with all the redmarks i have.

MemberMember
(@k3tchup)

Posted : 02/03/2012 7:05 pm

cinnamon is good stuff. i use it on my oatmeal in the morning, on toast. oh ya.

since im getting low on zinc, and fishoil i will have to see if swanson has some of this in a pill form.

with anything i find that moderate doses are better than mega doses and you have to learn what your body's "sweet spot" is . Like i was taking zinc 100mg at night for a looong time.. Well now i cut back to 50mg. Although now im going to have to cut down again to 22mg because im getting short arrhythmia which is consistent to copper deficiency. Such wasnt a problem then but now i feel its time to decrease and get in more safer levels because as you said your body gets used to such excessive amounts which then would lead to problems and ineffecitivness.

thanks again

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 02/03/2012 7:35 pm

ok. I am not sure if this is a coincidence or not... but i took cinnamon in pill form (cinnamon bark / cinnamomum verum 500mg 2x day) for about 2-3 days and i spawned like 7-8 pimples on my back. Some of them are huge papules as well.

Maybe its a coincidence. Who knows... but i am stopping the cinnamon

MemberMember
(@omnivium)

Posted : 02/03/2012 7:47 pm

ok. I am not sure if this is a coincidence or not... but i took cinnamon in pill form (cinnamon bark / cinnamomum verum 500mg 2x day) for about 2-3 days and i spawned like 7-8 pimples on my back. Some of them are huge papules as well.

Everyone else was using cinnamon cassia. Maybe the type of cinnamon makes a difference.

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 02/03/2012 7:51 pm

Everyone else was using cinnamon cassia. Maybe the type of cinnamon makes a difference.

really? ah crap...

I went to a really good nutrition supplement store (clarks) and i did not see any cinnamon cassia, at all

MemberMember

Posted : 02/09/2012 10:07 am

yes i believe the OP stated that cassia is the type i found mine at the supermarket walmart

its the nature bounty brand says Cinnamon 1000 mg per serving promotes sugar metabolism, heart and circulatory Health. on the back it says

cinnamon (cinnamomum cassia (bark) 500mg take 2 per serving.

although did you have back acne before? or no?

i also felt that cinnamon taking in these does mayb have contributed to some acne.. i havent taken it since to be honest.

MemberMember
(@travelleruk)

Posted : 03/07/2012 10:39 am

Many thanks to the OP! Cinnamon is actually working really well.

I've thought for a while that my acne was caused from diet and going paleo helped quite a bit by controlling blood sugar levels.

Now however as long as I have a cinnamon capsule with my meals, acne is minimal and it means I can have carbs again!

MemberMember
(@harlowefey)

Posted : 03/11/2012 10:39 am

I think diet has a LOT to do with acne. What you put in your body effects EVERYTHING i.e. your energy levels, your hair, your nails, Diabetes, Cancer, Menstrual regularity and menstrual pain, etc. A normal North American diet may not be deficient in vitamins, but it's deficient in balance and health. Most people with this "normal" diet are obese, which is one of the leading KILLERS in America today. Diet plays into heart disease, Cancer and Diabetes. So, it kind of seems like common sense that it would show up on your face too?

- I'M NOT A DOCTOR AND THIS IS JUST MY OPINION. I'm a vegan and a huge health freak!!!! All I do is research health and what not.

But I honestly think it has to be a combination of things. Like genes (my mom and dad both had acne), climate, lifestyle (stagnant, active, athlete), diet, stress, etc. Food is energy. We need food to live, we need water to live. Our whole body uses food. It isn't just some little thing we need here and there. We need to eat everyday, a few times a day to stay alive. I think it's HUGE in acne.

That being said, when I first became a vegan I detoxed like crazy and broke out. But after a while my skin glows in between the few zits here and there. And I usually only break out when I pick or it's that time of the month.

My aunt and grandma and mom are also all vegan, and they have gorgeous skin (b******!!). They NAW ON CINNAMON STICKS.. because it helps with preventing grazing throughout the day and it's good for your metabolism. I dunno whytf i stopped eating cinnamon recently, but I'm getting back into it. In fact, I'm going to the store right now and I'm raiding the shelves. Can i used powdered cinnamon instead? I don't like capsules because they are usually gelatin based, which is derived from animals. Anyway, that's my rant!!!!

MemberMember
(@lieko)

Posted : 03/16/2012 9:05 pm

Chris, any updates?

MemberMember
(@fluorescent)

Posted : 03/16/2012 10:04 pm

From my personal experience with acne, diet is exactly what causes mine. Tried millions of products and actually a lot of different vitamines too and diet is the only main thing that causes it for me! Whenever I eat a lot of sugar, dairy or sodium I break out and get a ton of blackheads and definately a few cysts and pimples. If I only eat a tiny bit of sugar (actually I cut it out since the begining of the year, but this week I was offered so much I just decided to finaly treat myself) I get blackheads and whiteheads, which sometimes turn to be actually pimples and yeah, it's a complicated process. If I drown myself with water then I can reduce the risk of getting cysts and inflammed pimples 70%, but that only works if it was just a little bit of sugar such as some chips and a piece or two of chocloat. But no, diet is the main reason for my acne and when I don't have those 3 things, I'm at least seventy - eighty percent clear (still have those ridiculous little white/blackheads that seem to never go away no matter what) but no cysts or pimples. So, I'm convinced with that insulin theory, therefore I'm going to try and find some of this cinnamon cassia and try it out. Hopefully I can find it somewhere here though. I'll update if it works or not!

MemberMember
(@omnivium)

Posted : 03/21/2012 3:17 pm

Hey guys I finally decided to try this. I was changing my diet for a while, and then I was trying to avoid the extra ingredients in pills, but that was not enough to clear my skin. The ingredients list on mine says: cinnamonum cassia, gelatin, may contain one or both of the following: magnesium stearate, silica. Those last two are the ones I was worried about, but I'm thinking since it says "may contain," the pills were probably just made on the same machines as pills that do contain those, and they don't actually add them into these pills. So I'll see if I can tolerate them.

I'm taking 2 750mg capsules after each meal, and I eat 4 meals a day. So that's 6g total every day. I started yesterday.

Hey Fluorescent, do you have any results yet?

MemberMember
(@omnivium)

Posted : 03/25/2012 2:22 pm

After taking the cinnamon pills for a whopping 5 days, I started getting my usual side effect of insomnia, so I had to stop taking them. This was not because of the cinnamon, it was because I am sensitive to the added ingredients in all pills. So if you want to try cinnamon, you will not get insomnia. That is a side effect that is unique to me from what I've seen. Most people seem to be able to tolerate pills, so don't let my experience stop you from trying this.

MemberMember
(@lieko)

Posted : 03/25/2012 3:20 pm

Hi, I'm here to report back my uses with cinnamon!

Ok, after few days of consistent uses of cinnamon (cassia) after each meals seems to work nicely. I supplement myself with 150mg of cinnamon capsule each meal in total of 450-600mg from 3-4 meals a day. I will definitely keep using it for acne due to insulin resistance which I'm 100% believe I have. But at this moment I'm kind of weary about the toxicity of courmarin related to cassia cinnamon. I wanted to use ceylon cinnamon but a quick search on the internet mentions that cassia is more potent for insulin problems and case studies also revolves around cassia being used, not ceylon. I'm thinking about using burmmannii because it says it have lower levels of courmarin stated on wikipedia. At the moment I'm also supplementing bitter melon.

MemberMember
(@lieko)

Posted : 03/26/2012 2:28 pm

Hmm.. I found an interesting read from one of the comments, any inputs?

"From credible assays, cassia can have as much as 10x as much coumarin as ceylon. There are some variable factors such as time of year it is harvested and which part of the bark is used and how it is prepared for use. Cassia in capsule form should be virtually coumarin free, because it should be steam extracted before encapsulating it to be used as a supplement. When steam extracted, the coumarin stays behind because coumarin is fat soluble not water soluble. Cassia might be better as a supplement to help manage glucose transport into cells. It should have pretty much zero coumarin in capsule form if it is steam extracted."

[Removed]

MemberMember
(@lieko)

Posted : 03/28/2012 1:24 pm

I emailed to the "NOW" supplement brand about that and they said that in the making of their cinnamon product line, it is actually unprocessed. Meaning the cinnamon that they carries contain courmarin. If you 're going to look for cinnamon cassia that does not have courmarin, you want to look at Cinullin PF kind. Cinnulin PF is a patented courmarin removal process while retaining the cinnamon cassia insulin resistant fighting properties.

MemberMember
(@ab123)

Posted : 04/05/2012 7:13 pm

Does it matter if I am using cinnamon bark as opposed to the cassia? Sorry If this has been discussed, I am on my phone and it is tweaking out at the moment. Also roughly how soon after eating do you take the pill ? I have been kind of rushing eating just to take the pill after when I'm sure there is some leeway time? Or should it be immediately ? Thank you

MemberMember
(@lieko)

Posted : 04/05/2012 9:49 pm

Hi Ab123,

There are two kinds of cinnamon, one is ceylon and the other is cassia. When you say cinnamon bark it could be either so you might want to double check the ingredient, it should be either one of them, if it doesn't say which one I'm positive it's going be cassia cause its commonly used in america. I've been eating the pill after a meal for 2 weeks but I actually find it a better experience eating before a meal because it felt like once I take the cinnamon I'm ready to eat whatever mid-high carb meal and not to worry about quickly finishing up.

Oh and another thing, I've been trying out ceylon cinnamon and I found that it works just as well as cassia. I was a bit reluctant at fist cause all the studies that I found on the internet uses cassia, probably because it's the cheaper cinnamon but who knows.

MemberMember
(@autonomousone1980)

Posted : 04/05/2012 10:02 pm

cinnamon contains toxins, it can only be eaten in small amounts. unless you are putting it on your skin or something.

MemberMember
(@lieko)

Posted : 04/05/2012 11:20 pm

cinnamon contains toxins, it can only be eaten in small amounts. unless you are putting it on your skin or something.

Cinnamon cassia do contain coumarin which is the toxic but only if you consume extremely large amount of it. If you're are worry about the coumarin, I suggest using Cinnamon ceylon instead which contain little to none of coumarin.

MemberMember
(@andien)

Posted : 04/07/2012 6:39 pm

I cannot find any cinnamon tablet/pill here.Is it okay if i just take with teaspoon,i dont know whether its too much or not. And i dont know also which type of cinnamon i have, the colour is orange and it has sweet-smelling. Could it be Cassia?

MemberMember
(@lieko)

Posted : 04/08/2012 12:17 am

One teaspoon from what I read is about 5 grams but you might want to double check using google. I have both ceylon and cassia but ceylon I have is bought in powder form and it has that cinnamon distant smell but I don't know if its sweet smelling or not cause the cassia I have are pills and have no smell since its mixed with other ingredients. Since you don't have anything to measure it with I probably sprinkle some here and there on every meal you take. I would not advise taking it if you have low blood sugar though cause cinnamon can bring it down a bit.