Notifications
Clear all

Cinnamon--Why It Can Cure Acne

MemberMember
(@dreamingofclearskin2011)

Posted : 01/21/2012 9:20 am

hey chris so you think that cinnamon is killing bad bacteria? or do you think that its putting good bacteria into our system? i dont think it actually has any bacteria in it in general but if it was actually killing bacteria bacteria that would be cool. but then you have to think maybe its just like an antibiotic that kills both good and bad bacteria? in that case you are right we would need to take a probiotic with the cinnamon to gain good bacteria in the end. with out any good bacteria at all we are likely to gain the symptoms that you mentioned above as well! good info though man i appreciate the research! i will probably start taking cinnamon again once my acne starts to clear up more from the breakut i recenetly had (still dont know if it was from yogurt or cinnamon) so if this does kill bad bacteria that would definately be another good reason to take cinnmon on the plus of it already helping control insulin. have you ever noticed fat people that have diabetes that take cinnmon having acne? haha idk ive never askeda fat person with diabetes with no acne if they actually take cinnmon or not..hmmmeusa_think.gif

MemberMember
(@cbjornn)

Posted : 01/21/2012 9:27 am

Very nice! I feel as if our regimens could join forces :)

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php/topic/293261-lavender-baby-this-is-what-works-for-me/page__pid__3207261#entry3207261

MemberMember

Posted : 01/21/2012 9:33 am

something smells like lavender..shifty.gif

MemberMember
(@cbjornn)

Posted : 01/21/2012 9:38 am

Ha ha ha, yes it does. My point is that acne has MANY different causes, so kill it from all angles.

MemberMember

Posted : 01/21/2012 9:49 am

Ha ha ha, yes it does. My point is that acne has MANY different causes, so kill it from all angles.

LOL i was only messin with you bro. i make take a look at some lavender oil myself if my new regimen does not work. does it work as a spot treat even if you havent popped? i almost caved and bought tee tree oil last night! but i didnt.

MemberMember
(@christopher1992)

Posted : 01/21/2012 12:33 pm

hey chris so you think that cinnamon is killing bad bacteria? or do you think that its putting good bacteria into our system? i dont think it actually has any bacteria in it in general but if it was actually killing bacteria bacteria that would be cool. but then you have to think maybe its just like an antibiotic that kills both good and bad bacteria? in that case you are right we would need to take a probiotic with the cinnamon to gain good bacteria in the end. with out any good bacteria at all we are likely to gain the symptoms that you mentioned above as well! good info though man i appreciate the research! i will probably start taking cinnamon again once my acne starts to clear up more from the breakut i recenetly had (still dont know if it was from yogurt or cinnamon) so if this does kill bad bacteria that would definately be another good reason to take cinnmon on the plus of it already helping control insulin. have you ever noticed fat people that have diabetes that take cinnmon having acne? haha idk ive never askeda fat person with diabetes with no acne if they actually take cinnmon or not..hmmmeusa_think.gif

Haha. Good questions. For the first one, cinnamon is known to kill bad bacteria and be anti-fungal, however it is not known to kill good bacteria, unlike antibiotics which kill off both. As for fat people, diabetes, and acne, I'm not sure how to explain that, other than saying maybe insulin and blood sugar can affect acne in some, but not all, which is why maybe the deeper problem could be dealing with stomach acid problems or intestinal imbalance, which can both lead to insulin problems. Therefore, perhaps helping insulin control blood sugar CAN help acne, but since some can have type 2 diabetes and not have acne, it seems there must be a different overall cause. I'm going to do some more research about it and see if I can put some stuff together. I'll post back when I've got some more insight on the issue.

MemberMember

Posted : 01/21/2012 1:37 pm

ok cool man we appreciate it!

MemberMember
(@bradmanda)

Posted : 01/23/2012 7:00 pm

So the cinnamon is still holding up strong! I just have some dark pigmentation from past acne (half Asian).

MemberMember
(@christopher1992)

Posted : 01/24/2012 6:55 am

So I've come up with an idea as to the deeper reasons cinnamon works!

So it turns out a good percentage of people in America have imbalanced intestinal flora as I mentioned before. That can lead to many things, including digestion problems, blood sugar problems, etc. Well I got more interested as I noticed a day ago that my tongue is completely pink, instead of being white and rough, like it has been for years, which I later found out was either from dehydration or possibly candida.( I'm guessing the latter as I rarely drink anything but water.) I've said before that cinnamon helps kill bacteria and is anti-fungal. However, I found that unlike probiotics, cinnamon actually makes it to the bloodstream and kills those too. It's actually impossible for the probiotics to get to the bloodstream and regain control. I also found that unless you find a brand of probiotics that have an enteric coating, the probiotics are almost guaranteed to die due to the stomach's acidity, another reason that probiotics may not have worked for some who have tried them.

Apparently, the "bad stuff" that makes its way into the bloodstream can actually bind to receptors and keep important hormones from reaching them! This can affect many things throughout the body, including making the liver work harder. Our bodies are constantly trying to clear out our blood, causing stress (which as menfioned before releases cortisol, which really messes up the regulation of blood sugar) and many other negative side effects, including also insulin resistance. <This is because the liver helps regulate blood sugar by secreting less glucose when insulin is present. Apparently, some have livers that don't reduce the secretion when it should, therefore making the insulin do more work, causing worse insulin spikes and insulin resistance, leading ultimately to acne. I believe cinnamon works by killing the stuff in the blood that's keeping our bodies from functioning normally with regards to blood sugar. It also helps the overall intestinal balance, which can benefit us in many other ways, one of importance being digestion.

I was also more astonished when I found that the majority of our bodies immunity is Located in the gut. Which means with an imbalance comes a weaker immune system.

What causes an imbalance?

Antibiotics

Processed food

Sugar-almost everything we can find on the shelves today contains high fructose corn syrup or a related form

Milk and animal meat that were given antibiotics or steroids, in other words, non-organic.

When those cause an imbalance and the immune system starts working too hard, side effects can include food allergies and celiac's disease to name a couple. I believe dotty said she had celiac's disease, and she claimed cinnamon cured her acne. Hmm...

To me this makes great sense, as I look back on my past-- 1. Our generation and its antibiotic use is ridiculous. 2. My diet consisted of nothing but milk, meat, and fast food until I was told milk could be "the cause". Funny also how i stated before that when I gave up milk my acne got better, and when I gave up meat it yet again got even slightly better.

If you haven't started supplementing cinnamon yet, I really encourage you to.

I'm also adding enteric-coated probiotics to my routine. If you want to do the same, make sure to find one that is enteric-coated and doesn't say "amount when manufactured" or something along those lines---that usually means "there were this many bacteria when created but there won't be that many when consumed".

If youre still not convinced, do some research on the side effects of imbalanced intestinal flora and the many diseases that can be linked back to it. Maybe you'll find acne isn't the only side effect you have that could be caused by that.

Edit::I also forgot to mention 2 things. One was regarding an earlier post from someone stating that deficiencies, even in the western world are rare. I'd like to say this should be true for a normal individual, but not for an individual with imbalances. When balanced, our bodies can make its own forms of nutrients to absorb, basically to get nutrients even from the worst foods. When imbalanced though, our body can't absorb nutrients as well unless they are already there. The second thing was regarding people that say "they've got their acne under control on a very strict diet, but if they falter they are guaranteed to see the results in their skin." I wanted to mention this to help explain what I've been finding. The beneficial bacteria are supposed to greatly outnumber and control the bad bacteria. However, once the bad have taken over, it takes more than just a cut-out diet to reverse the problem. What's happening with these people I believe is that they are merely giving themselves a pain-killer. The analogy is that we can take a pain-killer to reduce the pain, but once we stop taking it the pain will come back if the bigger problem isn't solved. It's temporary relief. The cut-out diet is simply keeping our bodies poor use of insulin from spiking, resulting in less acne, when in actuality, the bigger problem must be solved in order for the acne not to come back when one cheats on their diet. (From the analogy, the wound must heal in order for the pain to be non-existent without the pain-killers.) Anyway...

Hopefully I've left enough for you to think about!

As always, leave a reply if you have questions!

MemberMember

Posted : 01/24/2012 11:16 am

is any one still taking cinnamon religously and seeing improvements? and are you doing anything else different or did you just add cinnamon alone?

MemberMember
(@tritonxiv)

Posted : 01/24/2012 11:29 am

is any one still taking cinnamon religously and seeing improvements? and are you doing anything else different or did you just add cinnamon alone?

Interesting. I will pick some up after work and try this.

MemberMember
(@tunnelvisionary)

Posted : 01/24/2012 12:35 pm

Edit::I also forgot to mention 2 things. One was regarding an earlier post from someone stating that deficiencies, even in the western world are rare. I'd like to say this should be true for a normal individual, but not for an individual with imbalances. When balanced, our bodies can make its own forms of nutrients to absorb, basically to get nutrients even from the worst foods. When imbalanced though, our body can't absorb nutrients as well unless they are already there. The second thing was regarding people that say "they've got their acne under control on a very strict diet, but if they falter they are guaranteed to see the results in their skin." I wanted to mention this to help explain what I've been finding. The beneficial bacteria are supposed to greatly outnumber and control the bad bacteria. However, once the bad have taken over, it takes more than just a cut-out diet to reverse the problem. What's happening with these people I believe is that they are merely giving themselves a pain-killer. The analogy is that we can take a pain-killer to reduce the pain, but once we stop taking it the pain will come back if the bigger problem isn't solved. It's temporary relief. The cut-out diet is simply keeping our bodies poor use of insulin from spiking, resulting in less acne, when in actuality, the bigger problem must be solved in order for the acne not to come back when one cheats on their diet. (From the analogy, the wound must heal in order for the pain to be non-existent without the pain-killers.) Anyway...

Hopefully I've left enough for you to think about!

As always, leave a reply if you have questions!

Great post man, it outlines exactly what I believe to be the causes of acne and other chronic conditions. I wholeheartedly agree with the fact that some diets can simply be avoidance diets that don't heal you very quickly. It's important to avoid foods you are intolerant to now, but you have to make sure that you are actually healing. Good bacteria in your gut can be boosted with the use of probiotics, but if your gut environment sucks (i.e. you eat a poor diet) then you're going to have to keep pumping them into your system indefinitely to keep seeing results. Good probiotics are expensive too.

Do some research into the GAPS diet or the Specific Carbohydrate diet (both are very similar). The focus with those diets is to regain balance of the flora in the intestines, and actually seal and heal the gut lining, effectively curing intolerances. That means, if you follow the diet(s) well enough for a long enough time, you can eat many foods without consequence (unless you go back to a diet of 90% processed foods with hardly any real nutrition)

This is really helpful for people who find they have allergies or intolerances to foods that are actually good for you.

MemberMember
(@omnivium)

Posted : 01/24/2012 9:53 pm

Apparently, the "bad stuff" that makes its way into the bloodstream can actually bind to receptors and keep important hormones from reaching them!

^That's not apparent to us. You are posting a lot of useful information, but can you please include links? We should be able to read these things for ourselves. I know we can do our own research, I'm actually gonna try to find that right after I post this, but it would be much better for everyone if you provided sources for your claims, or at least explained why these things happen. I am particularly interested in the sentence I quoted.

MemberMember
(@omnivium)

Posted : 01/24/2012 10:40 pm

I found this for cinnamon killing bacteria: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2772433/ but I couldn't find anything about bacteria binding to receptors.

MemberMember

Posted : 01/25/2012 9:39 am

omni are you experiementing with cinnamon yourself?

MemberMember
(@omnivium)

Posted : 01/25/2012 4:54 pm

No I'm waiting to see if betaine HCL starts helping. I can't tell if it's working yet. I am definitely interested in trying cinnamon though.

MemberMember
(@canadianhype)

Posted : 01/25/2012 7:11 pm

I may try this cinnamon diet soon ! Because I've always beleived foods were triggered to my acne .. I've had a strict diet for the last 3 years and have cleared up my acne a lot ! But I still get random breakouts .. So I'm going to try this cinnamon out and will let you guys lnow about it ! Sounds really interesting the only thing is I don't have oily skin , but I will let you know how it goes !

MemberMember

Posted : 01/25/2012 9:08 pm

thanks! please keep us updated i would really like to know the results.

MemberMember
(@chestercool)

Posted : 01/25/2012 10:01 pm

Hey everybody, I've been using organic cinnamon with my oatmeal with i eat 2 times per day. I must say, i noticed it helps, I'd say its a miracle but i got 2 zits on my back, of course, im not doing what this thread says, taking cinnamon after every meal. Im taking a trip on friday, and i'll be eating some shitty food. I looked for cinnamon pills, but i couldnt find them...so im gonna do this experiment with organic cinnamon. half teaspoon after every meal.

I gotta say, i've seen good results with cinnamon, but it hasnt erased acne completly, lets see what happens taking it after each meal. I'll post my results in one week

MemberMember

Posted : 01/26/2012 9:54 am

nice job thanks for the reply bro! and the cinnamon capsules that i found are literally in the vitamin section it took me about 5 times of passing it before it caught my eye though so look hard like a word search. its like the only bottle by itself in the "C" section LOL i got the 1000mg cassia capsules .5g a pill. and the best part is you can break it open and put in on food just like regular cinnamon.

MemberMember
(@christopher1992)

Posted : 01/26/2012 4:49 pm

Glad to see more jumping on the bandwagon!

Omni--I'll see if I can find the place I found the information you asked about. It's hard to keep track of as I have about 200+ tabs open on my computer that includes all my research. Anytime I want to research something new I open a new tab and so on, throwing together everything I remember so I can give a "shorter, analyzed version" rather than giving people pages and pages to read on, as that might possibly direct others away from this post, especially with this having 70 replies already. When I find the tab I'll post the link here.

Chestercool--Congrats on noticing a difference, however, just as a caution, the cinnamon used in studies that found results was Cinnamon Cassia. I'm not sure about the other types of cinnamon, due to the many other types and limited studies that I've found. However, I would think that if organic cinnamon worked as well, they would surely use that instead, since organic seems to be the way to go with almost everything we consume. If it's working for you, I would see no reason to change it, but if you find the results just aren't what you feel they should be, give Cassia a try!

MemberMember
(@bobbi364)

Posted : 01/27/2012 7:18 pm

I just got a bottle for shits n giggles...I don't have acne anymore, but I will see if it makes my face more glowy or not. 2000mg, natures bounty, cassia (bark), also promotes sugar metabolism, heart and cirbulatory health, so it might make me work out will more ease.

MemberMember

Posted : 01/27/2012 7:52 pm

let me know how it goes bro im about to start taking mine again because im almost completely clear of pimples i just need to work on redmarks now you know anything that fades redmarks pretty fast bro?

MemberMember
(@bobbi364)

Posted : 01/27/2012 8:20 pm

let me know how it goes bro im about to start taking mine again because im almost completely clear of pimples i just need to work on redmarks now you know anything that fades redmarks pretty fast bro?

nope, cuz when mine started to heal/pop, it didnt take long. it was a sign of my skin health coming back 100%, of course that was after i quit masturbation. It is the deepest parts of your pores being blocked, the underlying layers of skin that need to heal, there is really nothing that will heal that fast because it needs to heal from the inside out. the only thing i would say to use is 100% bentonite clay mask, maybe once every two weeks, it helps rid all impurities in the skin, its cheap.

MemberMember
(@ameriwife)

Posted : 01/30/2012 12:20 pm

I wonder how long it takes to break out from food? I know for some things (like an allergy) it can be rather immediate. But I know that it takes about two weeks for a pimple to form, whether by skincare/dietary causes. It seems that foods that cause acne will build up in your system if you consistently eat them, then about 2 weeks to a month later there's acne.

I took two cinnamon capsules for one day (totaling 1 gram) and waited to see what my skin would do. Within the next few days I had a few bumps around my mouth, sort of in the oiliest parts. I thought it was unusual, but maybe not lol. I found it rather hard to remember to take a cinnamon pill after every time I ate, so when I would remember I took one. I remember taking Acnepril capsules (about 8 a day) and my face got much worse. So, I feel like if i were to continue with the cinnamon capsules, I would just take it slow at first and not give my body any kind of shock.