Notifications
Clear all

Aczone, Finacea And Ziana Combo With Sumadan Wash...wowza!

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 05/29/2012 4:00 pm

What is it with summer and clogged pores? Since stopping Atralin on Saturday, i am getting clogged pores on my forehead and mini red bumps on my cheeks. The inflamed bumps on my jaw and chin persists as well though not as many whiteheads. It has been close to 90 in NY and i am sweating like crazy so that does not seem to help matters at all. I go see my derm tomorrow so i will see what she recommends. I know for sure that i don't want anything stronger than Atralin so i am considering Differin (which did nothing for me pre accutane) or Epiduo. Other than that, i think i have tried every MAIN acne treatment out there. The more i read about Epiduo regarding itching and such, the less appealing it is to me but i am afraid that differin may just be too weak. And if Epiduo doesn't work for me then i wouldn't have to waste time trying differin again.

Ahhh....my mind is working overtime on this one. I should be getting paid to do my derms job.

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 05/30/2012 6:24 pm

UPDATED Regimen # 3....when will the madness end....lol

So in talking to my derm she said it was unusual for my acne not to be consistently clearing up by now, especially since it is not severe. I agreed.

I asked about Epiduo (she said it was weaker than atralin so it would probably do little for my acne)

I asked about differin (same logic)

Tazarac (we agreed this would probably be TOO strong)

In fact, she seemed to be out of options. She mentioned the idea of birth control (i nixed it right away), laser (which she agreed would be too much money) and antibiotics (which i told her was not even an option).

She recommended i continue with the Atralin for 1 more month and add Acanya in the a.m. My forehead is breaking out now (which i think is from stopping Atralin) so hopefully it will go back to fine form.

I read some positive reviews about Acanya so hopefully this will be more useful than all the other crap i've tried.

As of today, my chin is breaking out (big shocker!!!!!!!) in red, inflamed bumps that have whiteheads (good or bad?). My period is set to roll in this weekend so........

So ready to throw ALL my topicals out a MFing window.....seriously! Haven't had the motivation to post pics as face is getting terrible....again. Countdown to one month begins today.

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 05/31/2012 5:24 am

Day # 1 Acanya - put it on this morning - no burning, itching, excessive dryness.....yet. I have 3 inflamed pimples on my left cheek which are red, red, red so hoping this works for the inflamation. In addition to the large and small bumps on my chin, i have 1 visible whitehead that i want to pop.....but i won't

Feeling so self conscius as i walk out the door ninja.gif

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 05/31/2012 7:59 pm

Today was a VERY BAD skin day for me. People actually stared and that hasn't happened in a long time. I suspect this entire weekend will be more of the same. My face is very tender and feels slightly painful/swollen in certain areas. It's been a while since i have had THIS much inflammation.

Started a new supplement regiment also which deals with the results of my NRT (see my log in the diet section). All these changes are making my head spin.

MemberMember
(@fadedjay)

Posted : 06/01/2012 2:46 pm

hey sasch,

I feel the same my face is mess due to the sunburn on and irritation on the weekend.

I'll be honest i cried so hard today its been a really rough week and emotionally I feel a bit battered from acne.

I'm am trying to keep my head up and so should you as this phase will pass :)

At my old work one guy used to stare at my face all the time and i had to sit next to him, its not a nice feeling some one face scanning you!

Any who hope you have a good weeknd and my prays are with you

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 06/01/2012 5:14 pm

hey sasch,

I feel the same my face is mess due to the sunburn on and irritation on the weekend.

I'll be honest i cried so hard today its been a really rough week and emotionally I feel a bit battered from acne.

I'm am trying to keep my head up and so should you as this phase will pass smile.png

At my old work one guy used to stare at my face all the time and i had to sit next to him, its not a nice feeling some one face scanning you!

Any who hope you have a good weekend and my prays are with you

Thanks fadedjay! Your words definitely made me feel better. Acne in itself is so hard to deal with but the hardest part is dealing with the emotional aspect of having acne.

But in any event, it is what it is. I will try to enjoy my weekend as life must go on (acne or not). You do the same and thanks for the emotional supportcheer.gif

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 06/02/2012 5:54 am

Week 15

This week has been bad, bad, bad. Broke out all kind of ways on my left cheek in huge, inflamed bumps that were read and the marks are still there. Chin still sucks and has been throbbing for days now (i have 1 really inflamed bump that has not gone done in days). Overall, i am so over this. My derm added acanya in which is not bad.....so far. Noticed for the first time today flaking, dryness and a little bit of stinging - no itching though. I also notice my marks and acne are soooooo RED. Does this ever go away? I also started using atralin after my 4 day break on it. The texture of my skin is horrible and the look is even worse.

I recently started a slew of supplements from a nutrition program i am doing as well as optizinc (hoping this works for the inflammation).

Never imagined that 6 months after treating the re-occurrance my acne, that i would still be in this position......sigh.

BTW, also started a PALEO type diet (no grains) yesterday so hoping to give it a 30 day shot. If i begin to drop too much weight (my trainer and i are concerned about this), then i'm off it.

Hoping this weekend and the start of next week are better

MemberMember
(@fadedjay)

Posted : 06/05/2012 2:19 am

hey sasch hows it going?

Hope things have picked up for you rolleyes.gif

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 06/05/2012 8:39 pm

hey sasch hows it going?

Hope things have picked up for you rolleyes.gif

Hey Jay, it's going. Acanya in conjunction with Atralin is drying me out like a mutha which sucks. Still breaking out. I will see how the rest of the week/weekend plays out before i make a judgement on Acanya. Emotionally, i am much better this week. Trying to keep busy with people i love. How's your regimen working out for you?

MemberMember
(@fadedjay)

Posted : 06/06/2012 1:40 am

hey sasch thats good to hear!

I feel better emotionally too this week just try to stay positive.

Regimen wise things are okay, seems like a steady process i have been on

tretinoin

0.05% for around 15 weeks or so.

It still makes me flakey and i don't use a moisturizer so i need to find one - that will probably help with the process.

Depending on the persons skin and acne i think 4-5 months is a good amount of time to see how things pan out with a retnoid.

Jay

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 06/07/2012 5:11 pm

hey sasch thats good to hear!

I feel better emotionally too this week just try to stay positive.

Regimen wise things are okay, seems like a steady process i have been on

tretinoin

0.05% for around 15 weeks or so.

It still makes me flakey and i don't use a moisturizer so i need to find one - that will probably help with the process.

Depending on the persons skin and acne i think 4-5 months is a good amount of time to see how things pan out with a retnoid.

Jay

Jay, don't be afraid to moisturize if your skin is bone dry. Too much dryness can cause unwanted irritation. I use netrogena for sensitive skin and its not too bad. I will be hitting the 4 month mark with Atralin and i think when i go back to my derm, i am going to get something else. At this point, i should be consistently clearing and i am not. Hopefully you'll have better luck than me

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 06/10/2012 6:52 pm

4 Months

So we are 4 months in folks and i have not seen much improvement. My forehead has begun breaking out in red bumps again and my chin is filled with several large, under the skin inflamed bumps. Needless to say i am very disappointed. The dryness of the acanya has diminished somewhat but in terms of it helping my acne, i have yet to see that. Several people have said that it could take several months to see improvement but considering my acne is not severe - i think i have received all the benefits that this regimen has to offer me. I see my derm at the end of June and not sure what else there is to try.

Any suggestions?

As for getting to the route cause of my acne, i am working with someone in regards to my diet and supplements so.......

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 06/16/2012 7:55 pm

Non acne related update. Today i went out with friends i hadn't seen in over a year and despite my acne woes, i had a friggin AMAZING time! I laughed, i sang (karaoke), i ate (i even had gelato), i lived. I have allowed acne to take over my life but for this one day, it took a back burner and it was all about me.

I love this feeling!

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 06/17/2012 6:40 am

In the next few weeks i will most likely be doing one of two things:

Changing my regimen

AND/OR

Changing my dermatologist

I found a holistic dr that is a licensed dermatologist too that does all types of allergy test, herbs, etc. I have given topicals a fair shot and all i have to show for it is a murky complexion, extremely dry and oily skin and lots of acne. If the price is reasonable and he wont conflict with my other holistic dr (i am already paid in full with them), then its worth a shot. I'm out of work for till the end of August so this would be an ideal time to play around with my regimen.

Will still go to my end of the month follow up with this derm though.

My faith in the medical community as a whole is definitely crumbling.

MemberMember
(@mwilso)

Posted : 06/28/2012 7:32 am

Hi Sasch!

I just read your whole log. I'm really sorry that this has been such a difficult time for you.

I get really bummed about my break outs and they really aren't bad. This site has been a good kick in the ass for me and given me some perspective.

I'm currently on retin-a 0.025 cream and I have been since March. I still do get break outs, and what I do when they pop up is to spot treat them with a mandelic/salicylic combo peel from makeupartistschoice.com. It's like $9 for a tester bottle and it will last ages! I only leave it on for about 2 minutes before I wash it off, and the pimple is ALWAYS significantly reduced the next day and on it's way to healing.

I don't think it would be too irritating in conjunction with the Atralin, as long as you don't go crazy with it!

Good luck!

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 06/28/2012 9:19 pm

Hi Sasch!

I just read your whole log. I'm really sorry that this has been such a difficult time for you.

I get really bummed about my break outs and they really aren't bad. This site has been a good kick in the ass for me and given me some perspective.

I'm currently on retin-a 0.025 cream and I have been since March. I still do get break outs, and what I do when they pop up is to spot treat them with a mandelic/salicylic combo peel from makeupartistschoice.com. It's like $9 for a tester bottle and it will last ages! I only leave it on for about 2 minutes before I wash it off, and the pimple is ALWAYS significantly reduced the next day and on it's way to healing.

I don't think it would be too irritating in conjunction with the Atralin, as long as you don't go crazy with it!

Good luck!

Thanks so much for the kind words and suggestions! It is appreciated. I am convinced more now than ever that topicals will not work for me, especially when my body is doing its own thing. I had a 4 month follow up with my derm today and she basically told me that the only other options were antibiotics, laser/chemical peels or oral medication. Needless to say, i will not be going back to her. That makes five derms over a 14 year period. My attitude towards my skin/self esteem issues have definitely changed and i am giving priority to things in my laugh that matter and skin is not one of them. This doesn't mean that don't want a resolution, it just means that i can't let it take over my life. My Ex-derm gave me some samples of Epiduo which i may or may not give a shot. I am also seeing a holistic doctor who is treating my internally with supplements (i plan on sticking with them 2 more months. If those two things don't show steady improvement, i have the number of a holistic dermatologist that works on internal AND external.

we'll see what happens but again, thanks for your kind words, it definitely lifted my spirits!

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 06/30/2012 4:27 pm

So i am a week away from the four month mark and i have decided to stop using the Atralin. I will be using the Acanya twice a day and see how that works out. By the end of the summer, i am hoping to switch to a more natural regimen (by that time i would have completed my 3 months with my holistic practitioner so if i am still breaking out with the same frequency, i will be scheduling an appointment with the holistic derm that i found. I have also started taking the supplement Herpanacine so we'll see if that does anything for me.

In any event - i am living my life, enjoying my new found faith in God, enjoying spending time with my family, seeing my friends and just being a normal young adult in spite of acne.

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 07/07/2012 10:03 am

Hi to anyone still reading this. Next week will be my last update on this log. I am going to be brave and stop all topicals and begin to try to figure this acne puzzle out in a more natural way. My face is no better off than it was at the beginning of the return of my acne a year ago (can't believe it's been a year!) I am disappointed and a bit saddened but in no way defeated. I have learned a lot about myself and my health during this process. Topicals did not work for me and i wasn't interested in continuing to use my face as a guinea big anymore.

Things i have tried and failed:

Atralin (tretinoin .05%)

Retin A

Differin

Ziana

Acanya

Benzoyl Peroxide

Sulfur Wash

Birth Control

Minocycline

Accutane (3 courses)

Proactive

Murad

Spa Quality Products

What's next for me:

A more natural approach

African Black Soap

Unrefined Shea Butter

Tea Tree Oil (maybe)

Continuing on Paleo till the end of August at least

Continuing with my holistic dr (and her supplements) till end of August

Continuing on Herpanacine until 2 months in

I guess we'll see what happens and i'll see you all for the final update next week!

Have a great weekend

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 07/16/2012 3:54 pm

Hello all! As of two days ago, i have stopped all acne medications and as expected, my mouth/chin area and cheek areas are breaking out in multiple inflamed bumps. It sucks that this is happening but burning my face to a crisp AND still breaking out was not an option. I received my ABS and was disappointed to see that it has coconut oil in it so i wont be using it on my face as planned.

I plan to continue using my purpose or aveno cleanser (leaning more towards aveno for some reason) and adding in ACV as a toner. Maybe this transition will help my acne not to get too out of control as i am completely off of the Acanya.

I will give the holistic derm a call tomorrow as i have seen very little results with my holistic practitioner and it has already been 2 months. With this derm, i am hoping that he will address BOTH the INTERNAL and EXTERNAL causes of my acne as my current practitioner only addresses the internal. I have learned so much from having this log active and once i get a definite routine going, i will continue to post under my log that is uploaded in the diet section.

Thanks to all that have offered words of encouragement as well as suggestions. Acne has been a VERY sensitive issue with me and you all have made it that much easier to deal with. You definitely are my ORG family. Good Luck to everyone who has either begun or continues on their quest for good skin

Peace Out!

MemberMember
(@runzmc)

Posted : 07/20/2012 3:21 am

If youre going the holistic route, here are some suggestions (Ive worked in a holistic medical clinic for the past year)

1.) Glutathione - if you can find liposomal glutathione thats the best youre going to get

1a - if you cant find liposomal glutathione, see if you can find a product called "Oxicell" which is a topical cream with glutathione in it

1b - do not try IV glutathione it can kill you

Glutathione is a detoxifying agent, and it can help detoxify your liver which helps break down hormones (which can affect your acne). It will also help your complexion. You should find that you have a much more even complexion while using glutathione products, and if you use the oxicell, youll find that your skin is much more hydrated as well.

If you cant find glutathione products anywhere, or cannot afford them (they can be pretty pricey), see if you can find a supplement called N-acetyl Cysteine. Its basically poor man's glutathione. It will break down into glutathione in your system, and doesnt cost nearly as much to stock up on. It does, however, taste and smell like farts. Funny enough so does glutathione, it has a weird sulphur taste to it.

2.) Acupuncture can be amazing for inflammed pimples. If you can find a trained acupuncturist (look for l.AC. in their name) they can use very very tiny needles to releave inflammation in your pimples. I find that it shrinks the size down almost immediatly, and can help heal your inflammed acne quicker than most homeopathic products. The small needles hurt as theyre going in, I wont lie, but its a second of pain thats worth the outcome.

3.) Take a multivitamin and get your omega's in! If you can find a product called Omegaswirl, its the tastiest fish oil product on the market. It comes in a pina colada flavor that you can put in your yogurt with some flax seed. Makes the perfect snack! Anyhting with EPA/DHA will do, but you need to get some fish oils in you.

4.) Vitamin A - thats essential for fighting acne holistically. Dont take more than 30,000 IU a day though, it can lead to serious liver problems.

5.) Get a green tea facial cleansing product. It will help soothe your face and can help fight against free radicals that mess up your skin.

For some, holistic treatments for acne really do help, and ive found that getting all your nutrients in you definitely improves your morale and overall health, but for some its just not enough. Do not go into it expecting it will be your answer, as you may end up with crushed hopes, but go into it thinking its a great way to boost your health, and who knows, maybe itll clear your skin!

Good luck!

MemberMember
(@rawbot69)

Posted : 12/20/2012 2:18 am

Here is what I have been doing which keeps me from breaking out, but I still have redness... this seems to work.

I am doing it all holistically...

1. Wake up and wash my face with a face brush lightly, to make sure my face isn't oily

2. Lightly moisturize my face with oil less moisturizer

3. Visualize acne going away, look in the mirror, close my eyes and imagine that anti bodies come and fight it

4. Every day I go to a sauna- built it myself. First I steam up and jump into really cold water. I put Moore mud on my face and let it dry lightly, then go back into the steam room and team up for a while. I come out, wash my face and jump into really cold water. I wait 5 minutes or so and put Moore mud on my face again and repeat the procedure again.

This is Russian sauna, which is where we throw water on the rocks, I am sure you can find a place like that near by. Whats good about that is that you can bring the temperature up very high without damaging your lungs. I drink green tea while I do this, at least 3 cups per session too. Also, I drink Zinc in the morning (around 1000% daily value) and 100% daily value of copper a few hours later.

I have noticed this being very beneficial, first the Moore mud treatment dries my skin and softens it as well. Eventually the acne cysts heat up in the sauna and come "up", this takes a few days, which is when I press em lightly, this eventually lets the oil out from inside. I have noticed some times the "oil" is very hard, which means its sorta dried up in there which is why the cyst, but the sauna really helps.

My skin got much more clear, the acne head bumps went away by a lot, I no longer have pimples, skin is now even, but its still red in patches. I am going to a dermatologist center to get some laser treatments to fix a few of my scars and treat the redness. I think I am onto something with the sauna people!