Notifications
Clear all

Aczone, Finacea And Ziana Combo With Sumadan Wash...wowza!

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 01/23/2012 9:20 am

So just ordered an IGG test online to test for food sensitivities. I also should be getting back my IGE results sometime this week. It occured to me that since i have virtually eliminated dairy and glutten, those will come back false negative since they have been out of my system for a while. Since i believe that i may have food intolerances versus a real allergy, i may introduce some of those foods back before i take the test. YAY.....kinda excited about eating bread and cheese again. Does anyone know how long they have to be i your system to get a true reading?

UPDATE: So i just received the results of the blood portion of my allergy test:

Hazlenut tested high (but the doc thinks that because i tested positive for tree/pollen, it may be a false positive on the hazlenut - either way, i have no interest in eating it ....ever)

Almonds came back undetectable, yet on my skin test there was a reaction, albeit a minor one (the allergist said not to worry about it and to start eating almonds again)

Gonna hold off on that advice and wait till i get the IGG done. I feel as if i'm throwing darts here.

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 01/24/2012 6:25 am

Wee 9 1/2

My face i still a crazy @$$ mess (mostly chin and right chin-mouth area) My chin is now breaking out heavily in inflammed bumps. I am trying to find the positives and there are so few.

POSITIVES:

i hardly see/ feel any of those flesh colored bumps that gave my skin that grainy feel.

The left side of my face seems to be holding up much better (but then again that has always been the case)

Forehead is not too bad - a few inflammed bumps that have a short shelf life

NEGATIVES

I stll break out daily and recently, these bumps have been undegrounders that turn inflammed but never develop a head

My red marks last forever

My skin is dry (despite moisturizer)

My face itches a lot recently - i don't scracth (a sign of more irritation to come?)

So long story short, i guess this regimen has produced some positives but i'm not sure if they're enough to keep going. My skin just feels and looks unhealthy. With less than a month to go, at this point i have no expectations. I am ready to accept that these past 3 months may have been for nothing and that i am not one of the lucky few who find a solution on the first go around. SIGH! On a side note, this process has helped me realise that i have some major self esteem issues to work out as the person that has the biggest issue with my acne is me. I can't keep allowing the condition of my face to dictate the route i take in life. I need to choose to be happy and enjoy myself inspite of what i may look like on any given day. And as i head out to work, i vow to make today a good day with peole that i adore who adore me back.

Thanks Everyone.

MemberMember
(@n-clare)

Posted : 01/24/2012 1:12 pm

It's hard to face the world... I think most people with acne have felt that feeling. It's good you have recognised it as something that shouldn't take over your life, next step is to put that into practice :) my acne has been way worse than yours and most days I wake up and think my god I can't leave the house! But then I get dressed sort my hair out slap my make up on and even with some fairly grotesque looking acne I an scrub up quite well! Lol, remember you are still gorge... The acne just gives you some character ;)

A lot can happen in a few weeks so don't lose hope yet! Mine looked it's worst at 3 months! Only getting sorted now x

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 01/24/2012 7:33 pm

It's hard to face the world... I think most people with acne have felt that feeling. It's good you have recognised it as something that shouldn't take over your life, next step is to put that into practice smile.png my acne has been way worse than yours and most days I wake up and think my god I can't leave the house! But then I get dressed sort my hair out slap my make up on and even with some fairly grotesque looking acne I an scrub up quite well! Lol, remember you are still gorge... The acne just gives you some character wink.png

A lot can happen in a few weeks so don't lose hope yet! Mine looked it's worst at 3 months! Only getting sorted now x

Thanks for the words of encouragement N. Clare - thats why acne.org is the best! You are right though, life has to be lived and i am trying to live it. i do realise that in comparison to others, my acne is not severe and for that i am grateful. It's just that being an adult in a working world is harder when so much emphasis is placed on looks (and i DON'T wear makeup). I am learning a lot about myself though so all is not lost. I am going to give it till the 3 month mark then i will probably switch to something else - Atralin perhaps. By the way, love the idea that my acne does give me character.....lol.

You're a sweetheart and i know things will work out for you also.

Thanks for the much needed words of encouragement.

MemberMember
(@n-clare)

Posted : 01/25/2012 5:23 am

I feel you on the adult acne thing, I'm nearly 25 and all my friends have grown out of acne... But then about 2 years ago I thought I had too! X

MemberMember
(@crystal_willow)

Posted : 01/25/2012 2:12 pm

Hey, sorry I have been away and uncommenty (been off having surgery so spent the past few days weird and morphine filled). I'm sorry you have had a tough time recently but try to remember what we said at the start, 3 months is still really early on. I'd stick it out for at least 4 months before giving up on a treatment plan. Then if it hasn't worked you can truly rule things out rather than have "what ifs" about previous treatments in the future. Is best to be sure, even if it's being sure about something being non effective. Xx There is time yet for this to work xx

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 01/25/2012 7:49 pm

Hey, sorry I have been away and uncommenty (been off having surgery so spent the past few days weird and morphine filled). I'm sorry you have had a tough time recently but try to remember what we said at the start, 3 months is still really early on. I'd stick it out for at least 4 months before giving up on a treatment plan. Then if it hasn't worked you can truly rule things out rather than have "what ifs" about previous treatments in the future. Is best to be sure, even if it's being sure about something being non effective. Xx There is time yet for this to work xx

Crystal....hope the surgery went well and that you are resting up. Feel better. I hear you on the 4th month thing and i will consider it. I go back to ther derm on 2/16 so there is still time to see a turn around. If nothing else, i will have her at least prescribe something else but not start taking it till the 4th month mark. I just need 1 sign that things are ready to go my way for a change eusa_pray.gif

I feel you on the adult acne thing, I'm nearly 25 and all my friends have grown out of acne... But then about 2 years ago I thought I had too! X

I guess life is funny like that. The one upside of my acne is that i have begun to pay closer attention to my health and have turned my eating habits around. Hoping this will help with my prediabetes, help me get my weight sorted out and maybe even help my skin.

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 01/26/2012 3:14 am

Almost week 10 and i am at my LOWEST, Between last night @ 8 and now 3AM, i have deveped 8 inflammed red bumps on both my left and right cheeks (places where breakouts are not the norm. I am feeling very anxious abour it as it seems so sudden and rapidly developing. I don't know what to think. This makes me feel as if all that 'progress' that i have made - albeit very little has been for nothng. What worries me is that this is happening sooooo late in the game. My past breakouts on these medications have been small bumps or undergrounders that take a while to surface. Why would there be numerous INFLAMED bumps on parts of my face tht are not usually breakout central?If this continues, my face is going to look like a mass of mosquito bites. So sad right noweusa_wall.gif

Did anybody notice that they got more/worse acne on places that don't nornally have acne on their regimen? Did they have a major outbreak this late in the game?

MemberMember
(@crystal_willow)

Posted : 01/26/2012 10:11 am

I did have bad breakouts around my jawline until around the 5 month mark... my jawline was EVIL..... bloody hormones *hug*

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 01/26/2012 7:27 pm

Awww thanks Crystal - that was needed. I felt like a freak at work today with my red, dry, broken out face. Now i'm back home and in tears and asking myself 'What's wrong with me?' I know i am capable of being stronger than this but with the stress at work, family issues and this breakout, i feel like crap. I am going through so many other issues besides my acne so i think acne is the icing on the cake that has made things seem that much worse. I will try to keep my head held high ( as i have told others to do) but i will probably be reading out ALOT more now that i am in the eye of the storm.....quick! Throw me a life raft....lol

MemberMember
(@jenn007)

Posted : 01/27/2012 1:17 am

Hey Sasch!

I seems like you and I are seeing the same dermatologist! Dr. Q? I have been using the same 4 meds (Sumadan, Aczone, Finacea and Ziana) since December 18, 2011, I was also prescribed Solodyn 80mg, but stopped after 3 weeks, because I began getting massive headaches.

I am also from NYC and 28 years old and have been struggling with this curse since I was 13. I can't remember what my skin use to look like when it was clear and have used nearly every acne medication in the market, with the exception of Accutane.

I have clogged pores and blackheads and the monthly pimples that serve as a reminder of my menstrual cycle. My friends, Mom and I have noticed a change in my skin since I started the routine. It seems clearer and much smoother.

I've noticed the following

• Sumadan is a bit drying, so I alternate with Cetaphil. Sometimes my skin near my nose and lips looks and feels flaky after washing with Sumadan, but moisturizer fixes the problem

• Finacea tingles when I apply it in the morning, but calms down redness

• Olay oil-free moisturizer keeps me from looking like I dipped my face in a bowl of oil, I have very oily skin

With 4 meds it's very difficult to know which is working and which is not, but I'm sticking to all 4 and will keep hope alive since I have seen an improvement.

Prior to the treatment I use to use MAC makeup a few times a week, but Dr. Q, recommended I stopped using MAC because it's too heavy. I switched to Clinque's Acne Solution makeup and love it, but haven't been using any makeup because my skin looks and feels pretty nice.

I scheduled an appointment with an esthetician in order to clear out some of the blackheads and clogged pores. I've refrained from picking at them myself in hopes of not doing any more damage.

I hope I can continue to report good news... Lets hang in there!

MemberMember
(@crystal_willow)

Posted : 01/27/2012 4:34 am

Jenn007:

"Prior to the treatment I use to use MAC makeup a few times a week, but Dr. Q, recommended I stopped using MAC because it's too heavy. I switched to Clinque's Acne Solution makeup and love it, but haven't been using any makeup because my skin looks and feels pretty nice"

Mac does seem heavy so switching to a non comodogenic makeup like clinique seems like a good idea (although their skin tone corrector caused spots for me personally..... wierd) but while your skin is getting used to all the drying, itching, sensitivity etc of active anti acne medication I would steer clear of the clinique anti acne range for the moment as it contains salicylic acid (a medication used to make aspirin and which has anti acne properties but is also peeling and drying like many other anto acne chemicals), having another medication on your skin daily may be too much with 4 other products... especially while your skin is still adjusting.

xx

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 01/27/2012 6:12 pm

Hey Sasch!

I seems like you and I are seeing the same dermatologist! Dr. Q? I have been using the same 4 meds (Sumadan, Aczone, Finacea and Ziana) since December 18, 2011, I was also prescribed Solodyn 80mg, but stopped after 3 weeks, because I began getting massive headaches.

I am also from NYC and 28 years old and have been struggling with this curse since I was 13. I can't remember what my skin use to look like when it was clear and have used nearly every acne medication in the market, with the exception of Accutane.

I have clogged pores and blackheads and the monthly pimples that serve as a reminder of my menstrual cycle. My friends, Mom and I have noticed a change in my skin since I started the routine. It seems clearer and much smoother.

• Sumadan is a bit drying, so I alternate with Cetaphil. Sometimes my skin near my nose and lips looks and feels flaky after washing with Sumadan, but moisturizer fixes the problem
  • Olay oil-free moisturizer keeps me from looking like I dipped my face in a bowl of oil, I have very oily skin

With 4 meds it's very difficult to know which is working and which is not, but I'm sticking to all 4 and will keep hope alive since I have seen an improvement.

Prior to the treatment I use to use MAC makeup a few times a week, but Dr. Q, recommended I stopped using MAC because it's too heavy. I switched to Clinque's Acne Solution makeup and love it, but haven't been using any makeup because my skin looks and feels pretty nice.

I scheduled an appointment with an esthetician in order to clear out some of the blackheads and clogged pores. I've refrained from picking at them myself in hopes of not doing any more damage.

Jenn, i am so happy this regimen is working for you. I have been on it a bit longer and so far things are NOT good. How weird that we may have the same derm. How bad was your acne before? Pics?

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 01/28/2012 8:33 am

WEEK 10

This past week has been God Awful and it still is. I ate some walnuts on Saturday, broke out in hives, swelling and huge inflammed pimples on my mouth and its been downhill from there. Everyday i now get 2-3 red inflammed bumps on my cheeks (which were never a major problem for me) and chin/mouth area. My Forehead is the one bright spot and it is doing remarakably well with only small bumps (i count 2 today).

Texture wise, all i feel is dryness and no matter when i moisturize it is still dry and flaky. It also itches so i have once again cut back on the Sumadan was to every other day and i am using cetaphil again.

Acne wise, the pimples i am getting are different. They are red, inflammed, under the skin and they appear like magic overnight (where as before it would take days if not longer for them to come up once i noticed them). They leave redness in the vicinity and since they are in the same clustered area i look like i am constantly blushng with acne. Scarring/red marks has also been an issue I can't get over how discolored and uneven my skin tone has become.

Diet wise, i am sticking with it and i am anxiously awaiting the results of my food intolerance test (though i am skeptical of the reliability of these things).

My emotional well being is not good at the moment. As i mentioned, i have health issue other than acne, i just found out 2 members in my family have serious health conditions and i am stressed with my job. I am actively working on these issues though.

My thoughts on my regimen, it's too much for my skin - simple may be better so will mention to the derm the next time i see her.

3 more weeks before i see her so we'll see if there is a change. As my face continues a long its path, i will probably post more than once a week as the org has become therapeutic for me. Week 10 pictures will be posted soon.

Thanks to all of you that have messaged me and left comments of encouragement. In my personal life there is no one who would understand what i am going through so you all have made this journey a bearable one.

MemberMember
(@crystal_willow)

Posted : 01/29/2012 7:12 am

cheer.gif

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 01/29/2012 7:44 am

Awwww....thanks Crystal!

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 01/29/2012 7:45 pm

Goals leading up to week 11

Recognise that acne is not me......i will look at myself, acknowledge that i have acne (as do MANY other people) and keep my day moving. This constant staring in the mirror and analysing pimple by pimple is not helpng me.

Recognise that while i still have acne, my health has improved as i started eating better BECAUSE of acne. So even though it sucks having these pimples all over my face, it led me to make a permanent change in my life.

Recognise that i am NOT ALONE in my struggle so i needn't feel so alone. My friends don't point out my acne and you folks on the org make me feel accepted everyday - even when i struggle to accept myself

Recognise that even though i am trying everything in my power to successfully manage my acne, there is so much that i don't have control of. I will let things move along as they may and leave everything else up to a higher power.

Here's to wishing everyone a great week!

MemberMember
(@jenn007)

Posted : 01/30/2012 11:24 pm

Jenn007:

"Prior to the treatment I use to use MAC makeup a few times a week, but Dr. Q, recommended I stopped using MAC because it's too heavy. I switched to Clinque's Acne Solution makeup and love it, but haven't been using any makeup because my skin looks and feels pretty nice"

Mac does seem heavy so switching to a non comodogenic makeup like clinique seems like a good idea (although their skin tone corrector caused spots for me personally..... wierd) but while your skin is getting used to all the drying, itching, sensitivity etc of active anti acne medication I would steer clear of the clinique anti acne range for the moment as it contains salicylic acid (a medication used to make aspirin and which has anti acne properties but is also peeling and drying like many other anto acne chemicals), having another medication on your skin daily may be too much with 4 other products... especially while your skin is still adjusting.

xx

Hey Crystal,

MAC is defintely heavy, luckily I was only wearing it occassionally, otherwise my face would have probably been worse.

I've only used Clinique 2 times since I bought it a month ago... I've been steering clear of any makeup, except mascara and lipgloss, a girl needs a lil' something biggrin.png

MemberMember
(@jenn007)

Posted : 01/30/2012 11:39 pm

Hey Sasch!

Jenn, i am so happy this regimen is working for you. I have been on it a bit longer and so far things are NOT good. How weird that we may have the same derm. How bad was your acne before? Pics?

Hey Sasch,

I suspected we had the same derm since I read your post a few weeks ago. I've been to so many derms and tried so many topicals, that I have secretly given up... I'm hoping that I continue to improve.

I've taken a few pics.... I'm a little embarrassed to post them, but I will do so as soon as I get a chance.

My acne isn't too bad.. no cystic acne. I have clogged pores, large pores, blackheads and occassional red pimples that take forever to heal and sometimes leave scars. Sometimes my faces feels abrasive with all the little bumps. Very frustrating.eusa_wall.gif

I've noticed that my face clears up a ton when I'm on vacation in the tropics. Salt water and relaxation work miracles on my skin.. Perhaps I should consider moving to an island!eusa_think.gif

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 01/31/2012 6:06 pm

Hey Sasch!

Hey Sasch,

I suspected we had the same derm since I read your post a few weeks ago. I've been to so many derms and tried so many topicals, that I have secretly given up... I'm hoping that I continue to improve.

I've taken a few pics.... I'm a little embarrassed to post them, but I will do so as soon as I get a chance.

My acne isn't too bad.. no cystic acne. I have clogged pores, large pores, blackheads and occassional red pimples that take forever to heal and sometimes leave scars. Sometimes my faces feels abrasive with all the little bumps. Very frustrating.eusa_wall.gif

I've noticed that my face clears up a ton when I'm on vacation in the tropics. Salt water and relaxation work miracles on my skin.. Perhaps I should consider moving to an island!eusa_think.gif

Yeah...vacations have a way of helping our acne....lol. Wish it could year round, right? I hope you continue to improve too but don't be sad if there are setbacks - it happens and it just means the meds are clearing your pores. Feel free to post your pics- it's liberating to see your before and after progress. Feel free to check ou my pics. It shows my rough road to hapiness.

MemberMember
(@jenn007)

Posted : 02/03/2012 9:41 pm

Hey Sasch!

How has this week been for you?

I've been doing well, a little redness after washing with Sumadan, and a few tiny pimples magically surface over night and wash off in the a.m.

I've been a little dry around my mouth.. I attribute it to Sumadan and toothpaste. Luckily applying a little moisturizer in that area helps.

I have noted that I'm very oily by 11am and have to blot my face, to stay from looking slippery and sweaty,

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 02/04/2012 7:20 am

Hey Sasch!

How has this week been for you?

I've been doing well, a little redness after washing with Sumadan, and a few tiny pimples magically surface over night and wash off in the a.m.

I've been a little dry around my mouth.. I attribute it to Sumadan and toothpaste. Luckily applying a little moisturizer in that area helps.

I have noted that I'm very oily by 11am and have to blot my face, to stay from looking slippery and sweaty,

Week 11 (in the home stretch). Jenn, this week was definitely a better week for me emotionally. I handled my acne better and didn't let it hold me back. On the acne front though - still inconsistency. I broke out heavily on my right cheek, cleared up, then broke out heavily on my left jaw, somewhat cleared up and as of today my chin/right jaw area has severl inflammed bumps (irionically, it's the same place where i broke out when i had walnuts - though no walnuts were involved in the making of this production...lol). It itches....alot and is so red. I am at this point not even upset about it, just resigned (as if to say.....what else is new!). Life must go on - right? Needless to say, i will let my derm know that the lack of consistency means to me that this may not be the right treatment for the type of acne i have.

The only positive thing about this regimen so far is that the bumps and grittiness of my forehead has been consistently clear (breakouts are less frequent and quite small so.....)

Week 11 pictures areposted!

13 more days to the derm......can't wait

MemberMember
(@n-clare)

Posted : 02/04/2012 11:02 am

You might benefit from having a day off of everything. I sometimes do this when my skins inflamed. I don't touch it at all, and things usually look better :) remember how many chemicals you are putting on your face, a day off from will let it breath and it helps to restore the natural balance of oil

MemberMember
(@jenn007)

Posted : 02/04/2012 11:50 am

Oh Sasch, I can relate. I have tried so many topicals and oral antibiotic since age 13 and I have given up each time. I've had some days when my face looks and feels a hot mess, but I don't stress it. I'm still applying all the Rx Dr. Q prescribed and I think its working--I just wish I knew whcih Rx was responsible for the improvement, but with all the ones I'm using its hard to tell. I completely understand your frustrations with acne. I feel just as frustrated, but I try my best from letting it bring me down--remember a smile is the best accessory and overpowers any pimple... so cheer up!

I had an acne facial this morning and all I can say is Wow! The esthetician extracted a ton of junk from my face and it looks and feels so clean. I'm still a bit swollen, but that's to be expected after a facial. Dermatologist aren't found of facials, but I don't see any other way of extracting blackheads and deep pore impurities. I will continue to follow Dr. Q's regimen, but I will also get a facial regularly.

I've been looking into Microdermabrasion and may give it a try some time in the future. Have you tried Micro before? I'd like to hear some experiences.

MemberMember
(@crystal_willow)

Posted : 02/04/2012 12:32 pm

my forehead cleared before anything else did... how odd

I just ahd a peek at your gallery. I didn't realise how nice your skin actually was.

I am sure the camera softens things but your skin is definately the type where I think most people probably don't notice.

You have stuck to this so well! Not long till the 4 month mark!!