Notifications
Clear all

My doxycycline log!

MemberMember
(@summerfalls)

Posted : 04/03/2011 4:17 am

I don't have anymore teeth staining after visiting the dentist and using a teeth whitening toothpaste.

Lately, i've completely stopped taking doxycycline (after 4th month). My derm advised me to stop taking doxy about two weeks ago. Last week i had a small outbreak. It isn't anything too serious. Just a couple more spots on my cheek.

However, two days back i realised that i had significantly more bumps around my jaw area and my skin was horribly dry around my jawline and nose area! Why does this have to happen?! Just two weeks back i had baby smooth skin with only one pimple which was barely visible. I was also completely cleared of all my scars. Now with the new pimples and bumps, this only means more scars. How my skin condition will be in the near future i do not know. It makes me so scared.. Am i that reliant on doxy? I don't want to be.

Sigh. I've decided to stick to my previous skin regime, which helped me maintain my skin after i stopped doxy two years back. (silly me switched to a different skin regime and that was what caused my second outbreak)

MemberMember
(@summerfalls)

Posted : 06/26/2011 3:53 am

I'm updating this space when my exams are tomorrow! Just a quick post though.

I read through my whole antibiotic log and wow! Three years have flown by. I still have acne and have not grown out of it (my parents had bad acne too but they grew out of it) i think my skin condition has somewhat changed. I used to have very oily skin.. Ut now im having combination skin. The areas around my mouth and nose can sometimes get really really dry that they flake really badly! And it's so embarassing cos i don't know my skin is flaking until someone has to point out to me. I'll be seeing my derm in a week's time and hopefully he'll give me a cream for it. (note: my brother had the same problem and my derm gave him a cream to apply as well and according to my brother the problem was gone within three days! So if anyone has this same problem, pm me so i can let you know the name of the cream?)

I've stopped taking doxy some time back so now im just applying differin and dalacin. So far it's working well. (my acne resurfaced because i stopped applying differin the last time) As for skin care regimen, i'm using the whole range of ettusais products (i did a post on this before.) decided to stick to ettusais since it works really wel

l for my skin. For facial cleanser, i'm using cetaphil gentle daily cleanser instead of the oily skin cleanser as the latter makes my face very dry. I use avene's cleanser (green bottle) too. It's for oily skin but it doesnt make my skin dry. As for make up, im planning to change my routine. Currently, i'm using the ettusais medicated powder and concealer.. But i find that it doesnt cover my flaws that well. Im thinking of switching back to estee lauder double wear light. With my current powder, it looks quite cakey in the light. ): my face is really uneven too! Especially in the light! I am really considering going for laser next year. My derm advised me not to do a chemical peel because the effects dont really last.

I'll be going for my first facial (in two years cos i stopped since it only helped my acne minimally). Will update this space on the results. Im having mild acne. I have a few spots which are spaced quite far apart (unlike the past where i would get a cluster of spots at the same area). My skin gets oily throughout the day but very dehydrated at certain areas. Really crossing my fingers that the facial would help and not making my skin condition worse. Im considering taking skin, hair, nail supplements as well. Will be asking my derm when i see him too.

MemberMember
(@philopian-tube)

Posted : 06/27/2011 11:04 pm

Thanks for the update, I actually remember reading this thread a year or 2 ago :)

MemberMember
(@summerfalls)

Posted : 08/07/2011 10:32 pm

I really need to get rid of my rolling scars.. ): Really want to go for co2 laser but when i googled there were a lot of negative reviews on it. I shall ask my derm the next time i see him (in dec) on how i can improve the appearance of my uneven skin.

For my flaky skin around my mouth, my doctor prescribed a steroid cream (hydrocortisone) but i can't really use a lot of it as steroids are known to cause pimples..

I have scarring due to the flaky skin as well. Sigh, i'm so upset about this. My doctor gave me hydroquinone cream to bleach the area. I haven't been using it because it makes my skin more flaky i realised.

I have a couple of zits here and there, probably due to stress.

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 08/08/2011 4:06 pm

did the doxycycline cuase the flakiness for you?

Its weird because i might be in a similar situation as you!

How exactly is this flakiness causing you scarring??

MemberMember
(@summerfalls)

Posted : 09/04/2011 3:27 am

hey timehealsall,

nope, the doxy definitely did not cause me the flakiness so i only got it after i stopped taking doxy. Did you change any part of your daily routine? For me i realised it could possibly be due to my change in facial cleanser which was way too drying for my skin. I don't apply differin on the areas that flake so all's good now. The scarring is pretty bad but it gets lighter progressively. It was really red at first then it left a brown patch which is about 1 shade darker than my original skin colour. Did you get any scarring?

My skin condition has been really good. I havent gotten any major pimples in the past two months. Im hoping this is a sign i'm growing out of my acne? I've been on ettusais products (specially formulated for acne skin) and i have to say they are the best products ever for my skin as they really maintain the state of my skin after stopping doxy. Im going to be an ettusais fan for life. Unfortunately, ettusais is only available in asia but you can get their products online!

Im so pleased with the condition of my skin. I have really few scars, a bit of discolouration around my mouth but it's getting better. And... Absolutely no pimples! Now i hardly need any foundation and a little loose powder makes my skin look smooth and great!

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 09/05/2011 8:51 pm

hey timehealsall,

nope, the doxy definitely did not cause me the flakiness so i only got it after i stopped taking doxy. Did you change any part of your daily routine? For me i realised it could possibly be due to my change in facial cleanser which was way too drying for my skin. I don't apply differin on the areas that flake so all's good now. The scarring is pretty bad but it gets lighter progressively. It was really red at first then it left a brown patch which is about 1 shade darker than my original skin colour. Did you get any scarring?

My skin condition has been really good. I havent gotten any major pimples in the past two months. Im hoping this is a sign i'm growing out of my acne? I've been on ettusais products (specially formulated for acne skin) and i have to say they are the best products ever for my skin as they really maintain the state of my skin after stopping doxy. Im going to be an ettusais fan for life. Unfortunately, ettusais is only available in asia but you can get their products online!

Im so pleased with the condition of my skin. I have really few scars, a bit of discolouration around my mouth but it's getting better. And... Absolutely no pimples! Now i hardly need any foundation and a little loose powder makes my skin look smooth and great!

wait, what? you got the flakiness AFTER you stopped using doxycycline? That means doxy caused it... Did you ever have it prior to taking doxy?

MemberMember
(@summerfalls)

Posted : 09/06/2011 1:34 am

hey timehealsall,

wait, what? you got the flakiness AFTER you stopped using doxycycline? That means doxy caused it... Did you ever have it prior to taking doxy?

The severity of my flakiness is something like that in the picture here. http://happyxokoto.blogspot.com/2011/01/kais-dry-lips.html&docid=iLDQDr6ltwlQEM&w=1600&h=1200&ei=dr1lTrWaFsiJrAe7ncinCg&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=526&vpy=369&dur=269&hovh=188&hovw=250&tx=133&ty=95&page=2&tbnh=150&tbnw=200&start=16&ndsp=18&ved=1t1 6" rel="external nofollow"> http://www.google.com.sg/imgres?q=flakines...1t16 .

I have a habit to pull all the skin off with a tweezer so i'm not sure if that caused the scarring and redness. :/

Yes i did get the flakiness after i stopped using doxycycline. I stopped taking doxycycline in april and the flakiness lasted all the way until august. I never had this flakiness before. I did take doxycycline in 2008 but i dont remember having flaky skin after stopping it? I'm not sure what caused it.. my derm attributed it to the differin but i dont think so. I only think differin will aggravate the condition but it definitely did not cause it.

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 09/06/2011 1:46 am

how long were you on doxy for? what dosage?

MemberMember
(@summerfalls)

Posted : 09/07/2011 6:56 am

4 months, 100 mg a day.

MemberMember
(@tracy521)

Posted : 09/14/2011 6:55 pm

i was taking doxy for about 6 months and stopped taking it for a few weeks last month and decided to go back on it after having a small breakout. i freaked out after having such clear skin for a while. anyway my tom was all screwy this month and i got a cyst by my nose and need it to be gone by saturday for a wedding. would it be safe to take 3-100mg pills a day instead of the 2-100mg pills i am taking now? if so would that even help the cyst go away quicker? i called my derm and tried to get in for a cortisone shot but they cant fit me in which is annoying because i can always get in quickly there. what do you all think? i am freaking out here.

MemberMember
(@summerfalls)

Posted : 09/16/2011 1:02 am

i was taking doxy for about 6 months and stopped taking it for a few weeks last month and decided to go back on it after having a small breakout. i freaked out after having such clear skin for a while. anyway my tom was all screwy this month and i got a cyst by my nose and need it to be gone by saturday for a wedding. would it be safe to take 3-100mg pills a day instead of the 2-100mg pills i am taking now? if so would that even help the cyst go away quicker? i called my derm and tried to get in for a cortisone shot but they cant fit me in which is annoying because i can always get in quickly there. what do you all think? i am freaking out here.

I don't think taking 3 pills a day would do much to make the cyst go away quicker. I tried taking 2 pills a day when i had more pimples but it didn't do much. What works is applying your topical creams on the cyst itself. Dalacin works really well.

Does your doctor know that you started taking doxy again? because you need to finish your course of antibiotics (4 months at least) before you can stop taking it.

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 10/30/2011 12:41 am

QUOTE (Karen Howz @ Sep 14 2011, 06:55 PM)

I don't think taking 3 pills a day would do much to make the cyst go away quicker. I tried taking 2 pills a day when i had more pimples but it didn't do much. What works is applying your topical creams on the cyst itself. Dalacin works really well.

Does your doctor know that you started taking doxy again? because you need to finish your course of antibiotics (4 months at least) before you can stop taking it.

and why is this?

MemberMember
(@summerfalls)

Posted : 11/16/2011 11:02 pm

QUOTE (Karen Howz @ Sep 14 2011, 06:55 PM) i was taking doxy for about 6 months and stopped taking it for a few weeks last month and decided to go back on it after having a small breakout. i freaked out after having such clear skin for a while. anyway my tom was all screwy this month and i got a cyst by my nose and need it to be gone by saturday for a wedding. would it be safe to take 3-100mg pills a day instead of the 2-100mg pills i am taking now? if so would that even help the cyst go away quicker? i called my derm and tried to get in for a cortisone shot but they cant fit me in which is annoying because i can always get in quickly there. what do you all think? i am freaking out here. I don't think taking 3 pills a day would do much to make the cyst go away quicker. I tried taking 2 pills a day when i had more pimples but it didn't do much. What works is applying your topical creams on the cyst itself. Dalacin works really well. Does your doctor know that you started taking doxy again? because you need to finish your course of antibiotics (4 months at least) before you can stop taking it.

and why is this?

I guess like any antibiotic, you have to finish the whole course of it to prevent the bacteria from resurfacing/becoming more resistant.

Updates on my skin, or rather a rant...

My skin had been good so far with no acne and almost no scars. I have a couple of bumps under my chin and one really painful pustule on my chin.

However, i was in absolutely horror when i woke up yesterday- my whole face was red!!! My skin became so sensitive to touch and wash. Even after washing with my cetaphil gentle cleanser, i felt a million stings on my face! I thought the redness would subside but my skin started peeling at the later half of the day. It was really so so bad and sensitive! :(

Now i have layered on a lot of moisturiser on my face.(i hate the sticky greasy feeling :( ) I look as if i've just undergone a chemical peel. ._.

Christmas is coming.. please, i don't want to have skin looking like that.

Hopefully the redness + bumps under my chin would go away soon.

(i did not change any part of my skin regime. Maybe i had overdone the dalacin because instead of one application daily, i had been applying it twice daily... I'm just hoping this is a allergic reaction but i highly doubt so.)

Will update this space in a week. Fingers crossed.

(i just saw myself in the mirror and i look like i had a horrible tan on my face.)

MemberMember
(@whoartthou1)

Posted : 12/26/2012 5:52 pm

did doxy cause tooth discoloration for you?

MemberMember
(@kiteflyer)

Posted : 01/15/2013 11:11 pm

there are so many pages I read the first 2 pages lol but I was on Doxy for awhile and it helped a great amount but once I went off of it for a week I broke out again. I was horrified to go more than 2 days without my 100MG. Im on Amnesteen now though which is doing wonders currently

MemberMember
(@suko)

Posted : 01/17/2013 10:16 am

did doxy cause tooth discoloration for you?

Very important point. Would also like to know this.

MemberMember
(@tracy521)

Posted : 01/17/2013 10:39 am

doxy caused no tooth discoloration for me and i was on it for almost 2 years on and off. now minocycline stained my teeth so bad i had to spend over $1,000 to get them professional whitened. i think they did close to 10 or more sessions on me thats how bad it was.

MemberMember
(@whoartthou1)

Posted : 01/18/2013 1:29 am

did you take doxy with anything (i.e. food)?

MemberMember
(@summerfalls)

Posted : 01/18/2013 11:06 am

Hi all, i'm so sorry for my late repy!

Yes doxy caused quite bad tooth discoloration for me but after i stopped taking it, the tooth discoloration naturally went away so you need not worry about that. (my doctor told me that it would go away too and it eventually did.)

I definitely had to take doxy with food. I remember taking it once on an empty stomach and i felt like throwing up. I always take doxy after my meals.

MemberMember
(@summerfalls)

Posted : 04/02/2013 8:43 am

okay guys, so this is what happened.

My acne resurfaced! :'(

I'm horrified.

I've been 4 months of doxycycline but instead of my condition getting better, it got significantly worse with tons and tons of close comedones on both sides of my face (it gets terribly bad at the jaw area). My t zone and chin are clear though.