Notifications
Clear all

My doxycycline log!

MemberMember
(@summerfalls)

Posted : 05/01/2009 10:03 pm

Hi all,

About three weeks back, i completely stopped my doxy medication.

When i stopped i had two pimples, but they're gone now. I have a few blackheads at my nose, and a few small bumps here and there. No major outbreak yet so it's a good thing. I hope i wouldn't have any outbreak. I realised my skin has become somewhat more oily though (it turns really oily after 2 hours!)

Right now i'm still on differin (at night) and dalacin (in the morning).

I'm using estee lauder's cleasning oil for removal of make up and cetaphil oily skin cleanser for facial wash.

I hope my acne will never come back!

MemberMember
(@angrychair)

Posted : 05/25/2009 4:46 am

I'm happy about your progress :) I'm on exactly the same regime, and I've been on it for just over 5 weeks now and my skin has cleared up significantly. I had severe cystic acne, and now just have moderate acne. I'm hoping in the coming weeks my skin will get clearer and clearer (I do still get pimples but they go away much faster and don't bother me as much). Red marks are a problem though - theres soooo much. Its like 2/3 of my face is just red marks :(

Anyway, I'm on 100mg a day (50mg morning 50mg night) do you think I should start taking more? I have the script for 100mg so I could get that and take it twice a day... I just think I should be on a higher dosage because of the severeness of my skin. The derm (he was sooo crap!) said that I was on a reasonably dosage though. Do you think anything would happen if I started having 200mg?

MemberMember
(@summerfalls)

Posted : 12/31/2009 1:56 am

Wow, i haven't updated this space for the longest time ever! My skin's doing fine. The scars are almost gone! Just that my skin's a little uneven.

Hmm, i've been using estee lauder's double wear light foundation... However, certain days, my skin gets really dry before applying foundation. (usually it gets really dry and flaky at my cheek, jawline area)

I've tried putting mosturiser (from clinique) but it doesn't seem to be helping. It's still just as dry as everrr. =(

Any suggestions? (wonder if anyone faces this same problem as me..)

MemberMember
(@summerfalls)

Posted : 01/07/2010 3:44 am

This is great! Now all i use is loose powder + concealer. I don't need foundation anymore!

Daily routine:

<b>morning</b>

-ettusis skin version up (ac oil)

- ettusais aqua shooter extra

- medicated acne whitening uv ex by ettusais

-ettusais pore concealer

-ettusais acne medicated concealer + loose powder in natural beige

<b>night</b>

-differin and dalacin on pimples.

This is doing my skin wonders! Love it!

MemberMember
(@okcuser)

Posted : 01/11/2010 10:41 pm

hey summer,

I'm currently taking doxy. Has your acne resurfaced at all ever since you stopped taking it?

MemberMember
(@sarah-nz)

Posted : 03/08/2010 9:03 pm

Just stopped taking Doxy today, i am petrified that my acne will resurface and get worse =/ i did a 3 month course of it so hoping that was enough, 6 months before that i also did a 3 month course of doxy before switching to minotabs then went back to Doxy. i am 18 and my troubles began at age 17 out of nowhere. the same thing happened to my mum though, so i guess its hereditary :( i stopped using Differim after about 4 or 5 days, my skin was burnt and peeling. now wish i had persisted with it, i may start taking it again. :o

Summer, did your acne return at all after taking Doxy? i was only on 50mg, took one pill a day so not sure if that makes a difference. just wondering what to expect. eek.

MemberMember
(@summerfalls)

Posted : 05/13/2010 10:13 am

My skin condition's going great now! I only have a a few pimples once in every two-three months, which is great! Now i have to maintain my skin condition and hopefully the acne scars will go away. They are going away; my skin is much better now (lesser scaring)

I've switched my skin care routine. I'm now using clinique's anti blemish solutions. It's really pricey though and i think i should stick to something less harsh. The toner is really really drying on my skin and it sort of burns... However, the moisturisers good. I love it! I'm not sure if i should continue with the toner. I think i should stop it.

Sigh, i should not have purchased the anti blemish solutions since i do not have acne anymore and the products really dry my skin =(

Any thoughts? Anyone tried this same skin care routine and found it to be good??

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 07/26/2010 1:42 am

hey, how bad does your acne have to be to take doxycycline? I would say i have moderate to moderately severe acne, and my doctor prescribed me doxycycline 2x a day 100 mg. I have been taking it for 4 days so far. No side effects

MemberMember
(@summerfalls)

Posted : 10/01/2010 8:37 am

My acne grade was 4-5 according to my doctor. :)

My skin's doing great. However, i have a few pitted scars.. not too severe but i'll be checking out chemical peels with my doctor soon. Heard they're good for scarring. I can't wait!

Also, one important note is to religiously apply differin every night. I stopped for a few nights and my skin got so congested i have many tiny bumps all around. Just a word of advice for those on differin- stick to it!

MemberMember
(@mboona)

Posted : 10/19/2010 9:58 am

so you didn't get any major breakouts post doxycycline?

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 10/24/2010 6:05 am

My skin's doing great. However, i have a few pitted scars.. not too severe but i'll be checking out chemical peels with my doctor soon. Heard they're good for scarring. I can't wait!

Also, one important note is to religiously apply differin every night. I stopped for a few nights and my skin got so congested i have many tiny bumps all around. Just a word of advice for those on differin- stick to it!

pitted scars as in icepick scars?

Man i was so stupid, i never actually treated my acne (just spot treated) so i was always getting zits for like a 5 year period (about 3-5 pusutles every 2 months) so it wasent that bad. But it got worse recently and iv ebeen on doxy for a bit. Seems to be doing an okay job...

MemberMember
(@summerfalls)

Posted : 11/02/2010 6:57 am

urgh!!! i'm horrified!!!!!!!! :(

I went to see my derm about two week ago because of my really congested skin! He said i had a minor outbreak and he gave me two options:

1. Continue to stick with my topical creams: differin at night and dalacin in the morning

or

2. Start on doxycycline treatment all over again.

I decided that i'll stick to 1 first; however my condition did not improve at all. Today, i decided to take doxy after a break of 2 years from it. Better be safe than sorry. :( urgh, i'm really sad about this.

My condition is about grade 2 now. This outbreak isn't as bad as the first time though (grade 4-5), thankfully. I'm prescribed with doxy once a day, after dinner. (1oomg)

What i'm most afraid is that in the first 3 weeks, i'll have the most horrible breakout ever and i wouldnt feel like going out, yet i still have to persist with the treatment!!! ;(

But at least, i hope i'm not immune to doxycycline and that doxy will be able to clear my acne like it did before.

I'll be turning 18 in 3 months time, so hopefully my acne will be less of a problem. Will update this log again in a week's time on my progress.

Things i did which worsen my condition:

1. Took a break from differin

2. Slept at unearthly hours like 3am for 3 weeks

3 Did not hydrate myself well enough

everyone who's reading this, please do not make the same mistakes i did! :o

Based on my previous experience, it'll take 3 weeks minumum for me to start seeing the results and 2 months for clear skin. It's going to be a long wait...

MemberMember
(@summerfalls)

Posted : 11/02/2010 6:58 am

btw, i have to be on doxy for 4-6 months. Need to complete the whole course of antibiotics once i start on it...

MemberMember
(@spammy151)

Posted : 11/08/2010 9:03 am

Hi Summer,

Where you taking any supplements along with your routine? Zinc, multi vitamin, fish oil etc?? thanks for your progress, really gives us hope.

MemberMember
(@summerfalls)

Posted : 11/08/2010 11:50 pm

@spammy151 nope, i don't take any supplements. i just try to abstain from taking any calcium before taking doxy.

updates on my skin:

it's almost been a week now and i think the doxy is taking effect! During this whole week, i had 1 nodule and 1 cyst. It took quite a while for the nodule to go away. As for the cyst, i only had it for a day! (which is quite surprising) I think the dalacin really helped for my cyst.

My skin is clearing up slowly. There are some marks but it isn't as bad as the previous time. I have a few papules on both sides of my cheeks and my forehead. I have closed comedones under my jaw area and on my chin. (they're not too obvious though)

One week only and glad that the doxy treatment is working well! Perhaps it's because i've taken doxy before so it takes effect faster now? Not too sure about this! I think i should be able to get clear skin in a month. Hopefully!

In case anyone wants to know the skin products i use, here it is:

-Avene deep pore foaming cleanser for oily sensitive skin

- Avene mattifying moisturiser for oily sensitive skin

- Queen Helen Aloe Vera Scrub

On top of that, i use Dalacin in the morning and Differin at night. I apply them 30 mins after my moisturiser. I'm also taking 100 mg doxycycline at night.

MemberMember
(@summerfalls)

Posted : 11/08/2010 11:54 pm

pitted scars as in icepick scars?

Man i was so stupid, i never actually treated my acne (just spot treated) so i was always getting zits for like a 5 year period (about 3-5 pusutles every 2 months) so it wasent that bad. But it got worse recently and iv ebeen on doxy for a bit. Seems to be doing an okay job...

Nope, i don't have any pitted scars. If i'm not wrong, some of the scars i have are rolling scars but they're not too severe. I heard the only way to get rid of such scars from my derm is through laser! :(

MemberMember
(@onceperfect)

Posted : 11/09/2010 12:00 am

i love my doxy <3

MemberMember
(@summerfalls)

Posted : 12/05/2010 3:53 am

I guess this thread needs an update!

Hmm, i've been one month on doxycycline.

From my last experience with doxycycline, my skin should have improved by 50 percent and by January, i should have perfect skin.

Right now, i guess it improved but not as fast as i want it too. (probably because im taking half the dosage compared to the last time)

I have zero closed comedones on my face, however i have comedones below my chin (both sides- left and right). My left side of my face is completely cleared (used to be worst than by right side) However, it seems like my right side has significantly more papules now. ): I hope it clears soon. It's clearing slowly though so i guess the doxy is taking effect.

Overall: my skin is almost completely cleared. Under the sunlight, there are significantly fewer bumps than a month before. I can even go out makeup free now! On areas with no pimples, my skin looks EVEN better than the last time. (a year ago when i just stopped the doxy treatment)

I hope i can get clear skin by January. I think it's really achievable with doxy and the rate i'm going!!

MemberMember
(@summerfalls)

Posted : 12/14/2010 3:21 am

I'm just left with 3 problem areas now (some red scars which will take about 3 weeks to fade)! The rest of my skin is clear!! seeing my derm next week! I hope i dont have any more acne so that i'll have clear skin!

MemberMember
(@lalakers)

Posted : 12/18/2010 3:14 am

I have had something like that. I was on doryx for four months and then doxy currently on my fourth month I am not sure if it is working. I have scars on my cheeks and I continue to use it but I don't know how many months until I see really good results I see very minimal fading away I think. Iwas on doryc a year ago and it cleared up my skin completely but I stopped and then they came back worse but now I started again and it is my fourth month anybody have anything they can tell me or have had experience with soomething like this

MemberMember
(@summerfalls)

Posted : 12/22/2010 1:38 am

I have had something like that. I was on doryx for four months and then doxy currently on my fourth month I am not sure if it is working. I have scars on my cheeks and I continue to use it but I don't know how many months until I see really good results I see very minimal fading away I think. Iwas on doryc a year ago and it cleared up my skin completely but I stopped and then they came back worse but now I started again and it is my fourth month anybody have anything they can tell me or have had experience with soomething like this

Hey LAlakers,

I'm not too sure but doxy seems to be working well for me (even though it's my second time taking it!) My derm says i only need to take it for about 3 months more before i can stop it. I'm on my first month now and it's working pretty fine.

I'm also currently using clindamycin + differin

MemberMember
(@summerfalls)

Posted : 01/16/2011 4:58 am

My skin condition is great! I have a few blackheads around my cheek area but i guess it's not too much of a worry! The rest of my skin is clear however the areas near my mouth are quite sensitive? They can get a bit red sometimes. I'm not sure why. Also, i realised some staining of my teeth somewhere in the beginning of this month. ): I read on the internet that the staining is only temporary. Hopefully the stain will go away. I've scheduled an appointment with my dentist.

MemberMember
(@summerfalls)

Posted : 01/30/2011 10:32 pm

The staining of my teeth has not improved. Such a worry! :( however, my skin has never been this good in my entire life! I dont have much acne scarring at all and many times i can go out makeup free!! I think my skin condition is really good but i guess there still can be improvements. Hopefully by end feb, i'll achieve baby smooth skin! 4th month into doxy. 2 more months to go!

MemberMember
(@summerfalls)

Posted : 01/30/2011 11:22 pm

The staining of my teeth has not improved. Such a worry! :( however, my skin has never been this good in my entire life! I dont have much acne scarring at all and many times i can go out makeup free!! I think my skin condition is really good but i guess there still can be improvements. Hopefully by end feb, i'll achieve baby smooth skin! 4th month into doxy. 2 more months to go!

MemberMember
(@legato)

Posted : 01/31/2011 6:05 am

ive been on doxy for almost 2 months now. so you're saying that there has definitely been improvement after 2 months?

because honestly i started to think "this is probably it" recently, since the improvement seems to have halted / going really slow.

i had a bit of teeth staining too. my dentist evened them out in a heartbeat with some kind of sand-like stuff that tasted like chewing gum. pretty good results with that for sure.