Notifications
Clear all

The Good List: Non-Comedogenic Ingredients And Products

MemberMember
(@rentstuff)

Posted : 10/02/2013 8:17 pm

Here's another product

Obagi Sunshield Matte Broad Spectrum SPF 50

Active Ingredients: Octinoxate 7.5%, Zinc Oxide 10.5%.

Other Ingredients: Water, Cyclopentasiloxane, PEG-10 Dimethicone, Pentaylene Glycol, Stearyl Alcohol, Phenyl Trimethicone, PEG-40 Stearate, Hydroxyethyl Acrylate/sodium Acryloydimethyl Taurate Copolymer, Soidum Dihydroxycetyl Phosphate, Citric Acid, Squalane, Ceteareth-20, Polysilicone-11, Dimethicone, Crosspolymer-3, Sorbitan Ester, Xanthan Gum, 1,2-hexanediol, Benzoate, Polysorbate 60, Tetrahexyldecyl Ascorbate, Disodium EDTA, Methylisothiazolinone, Hydrogenated Palm Glycerides, Ubiquinone, Tropolone.

MemberMember
(@xdevochkax)

Posted : 10/28/2013 10:03 am

On 9/19/2013 at 3:07 PM, Rheks said:
On 8/8/2013 at 2:39 AM, ramsaymac said:
On 8/7/2013 at 8:30 PM, Rheks said:

this list is bullshit

green gables put a lot of time and effort into making that list just to try and help other people, would you care to elaborate beyond your mindless insult? i'm assuming you've had a bad experience with one of the listed products, but as green gables clearly says in the beginning of the first post,

On Invalid Date at NaN:NaN PM, Green Gables said:

>>This is purely informational. I am not making any blanket statements concerning any particular product. Use this post to inform yourself. What you choose to slather on your face is your own bus

iness.

[Edited image out]

Because all of the products she or he has suggested, contradicts his/her bad list, as they contain multiple bad ingredients, for example a few of them contained tocopherol, which they rated a 2. For lots of others too.

and I know she says below 3, but if anything is comdogenic at all, it ain't good, coming from experience cetyl alcohol, breaks me out like a mofo.

You won't find a product where at LEAST one or two of the ingredients is "comedogenic" by your standards (meaning anything over a zero), with the exception of single ingredient natural oils or waxes. No one's facial chemistry is the same so what will break one person out, might not break another person out. A rating of 2 or less is considered safe so this list is just a guideline of dermatological facts. Doesn't mean it applies to every single individual in the same way. For example, I break out from Titanium Dioxide and Zinc Oxide, even though they only hold a 1 and a 0 on the comedogenic scale, so I can't use moisturizers with sunscreens; I have to add sunblock to my moisturizer.

It's not cut and dry. Your experience is unfounded.

MemberMember
(@gabbygirl1)

Posted : 02/20/2014 7:02 am

What about the Serious Skin Care line? Has anyone used it? And is it good or bad?

MemberMember
(@tiger08)

Posted : 05/21/2014 7:08 pm

Thankyou for your post. I have recently discovered the list of comedogenic ingredients. I went through all my current non comedogenic products to discover that my neutrogena fresh foaming cleanser is the ONLY one with not 1ingredient on the list! Unless of course they have written it differently. Very happy with this product so far. Washing only once a day at night before bed. My skin hates anything on it over night so this product cleanses me without over drying and allows natural oils to do their work. Im not overly oily just enough to add shine throughout the day without proper makeup. Now just to find the rest of my skincare products!

no

MemberMember
(@tiger08)

Posted : 05/22/2014 6:01 am

QV gentle wash is also proper non comedogenic.....Also just to add to my previous post, the comedogenic list im referring to is

[removed]

MemberMember
(@dro)

Posted : 07/02/2014 11:48 am

What about xanthan gum? I notice at least one product on the good list which contains this product. According to Wikipedia:

" Xanthan gum may be derived from a variety of source products that are themselves common allergens, such as corn, wheat, dairy, or soy. As such, persons with known sensitivities or allergies to food products are advised to avoid foods including generic xanthan gum or first determine the source for the xanthan gum before consuming the food." These mediums are also often GMO- genetically modified. Persons with celiac disease or gluten sensitivity may have a skin reaction to these products. I know I do.

"To be specific, an allergic response may be triggered in people sensitive to the growth medium, usually corn, soy, or wheat. For example, residual wheat gluten has been detected on xanthan gum made using wheat.This may trigger a response in people highly sensitive to gluten. Xanthan gum is a "highly efficient laxative," according to a study that fed 15 g/day for 10 days to 18 normal volunteers.] Some people react to much smaller amounts of xanthan gum with symptoms of intestinal bloating and diarrhea. There are many substitutes for xanthan gum when used for baking such as guar gum and locust bean gum."

MemberMember
(@christinamariehollis)

Posted : 02/08/2015 4:18 pm

You can't trust any product that makes claims of being non-comedogenic (or the less common "non-acnegenic") because there are no approved or regulated standards for these statements anywhere in the world. In other words, no matter what a product contains, a company can claim that it won't make you break out, even if it contains ingredients that are known to trigger breakouts. With no guidelines or standards in place, even the thickest, greasiest moisturizer around can claim it "won't clog pores." Companies use this claim because there's no regulation stating they can't, and the brands know it's what consumers want to hear.

And forget the claim "oil-free"! There are lots of ingredients that can make skin feel greasy that aren't listed as oils. Shopping for oil-free products isn't a slam-dunk solution for oily or breakout-prone skin.

MemberMember
(@caitlinlopez)

Posted : 07/15/2015 10:38 am

Can you clarify the topic on fragrance? It seems to be controversial as fragrance is such a broad term and can include a laboratory chemical concoction. Thank you!

MemberMember
(@dra-pam-galeana)

Posted : 07/07/2020 4:40 pm

Thislist is amazing! Thanksfor your efforts.What about the Aveeno products,Eucerin Redness Relief Soothing Night Creme,Nip + Fab Glycolic Fix Daily Cleansing Pads andCerave Sa Renewing Lotion andVichy Normaderm Phytosolution (daily deep cleansing gel)??

MemberMember
(@dresdenh)

Posted : 07/14/2020 2:10 pm

On 9/9/2012 at 7:30 PM, Green Gables said:

Both do contain ceteareth-20, which in the wrong formulation can be comedogenic.

My personal opinion is that the CeraVe formulators know what they are doing and you don't need to worry about those products. I have used them with no complaints. But I can't fairly add them to the 100% non-comedogenic list.

What about capric triglycerides in CeraVe PM? Is that classified as comedogenic?

And thank you so much for curating this list!

MemberMember
(@the5brownies)

Posted : 09/24/2021 3:13 am

In some cases soap sensitivity requires a more gentle approach of avoiding any 'cleansers'. The product that best seemed to help one of my kids was a clay-based facial cleanser, called Gunilla of Sweden. List of Ingredients: Clay and Distilled Water. No dyes, chemical or synthethic additives. This product seemed to help as well as an oral supplement of Vitamin A. Good luck finding a healthy product to use, everyone!

MemberMember
(@juhnetmickerdygmail-com)

Posted : 04/10/2022 3:31 am

SODIUM COCOYL ISETHIONATE Breaks meout terribly