Notifications
Clear all

The Bad List: Comedogenic Ingredients And Products

MemberMember
(@dolan-duck)

Posted : 03/02/2014 2:57 am

Wow, thanks for this. I just threw away the majority of my facial cleansers I use argan oil for a moisturizer, but can anyone recommend a face wash?

Water.

Well what about those people who have oily skin? Pores would get blocked because water doesn't remove oil..

MemberMember
(@michelle-reece)

Posted : 03/02/2014 3:06 am

Wow, thanks for this. I just threw away the majority of my facial cleansers I use argan oil for a moisturizer, but can anyone recommend a face wash?

Water.

Well what about those people who have oily skin? Pores would get blocked because water doesn't remove oil..

I don't know how much water actually removes oil and dirt, but this source says it's 65%.

Detergents aren't as bad as everyone thinks/says they are. SLS is washed off, and would only pose a threat if left on in high concentrations or those with compromised skin like eczema.

MemberMember
(@dolan-duck)

Posted : 03/02/2014 3:23 am

Water.

I don't know how much water actually removes oil and dirt, but this source says it's 65%.

Detergents aren't as bad as everyone thinks/says they are. SLS is washed off, and would only pose a threat if left on in high concentrations or those with compromised skin like eczema.

Well I have oily skin and if I use cleanser that contain SLS my skin gets so dry and tight that I can't even open my mouth well.

MemberMember
(@michelle-reece)

Posted : 03/02/2014 3:34 am

Water.

Well I have oily skin and if I use cleanser that contain SLS my skin gets so dry and tight that I can't even open my mouth well.

Cleansers with stuff like sodium trideceth sulfate or colloidal oatmeal (and specific saponins) are gentle.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 03/02/2014 7:18 pm

I have oily skin. You can Blot excess. Oil isn't actually the problem in acne. It's skin cells that clog pores, although the composition of your sebum can be a factor. Linoleic acid is a major component of sebum that does what it's supposed to. Acne and other problem prone skin have Been found to be deficient resulting in sebum that's sticky and causes skin cells to clump and log pores. Topical use of a high linoleic acid containing oil can help. Google oil cleansing methods and see my thread thread on

MemberMember
(@dolan-duck)

Posted : 03/03/2014 11:50 am

Water.

I have oily skin. Blot excess. Oil isn't actually the problem. It's skin cells that clog pores, although the composition of your sebum can be a factor. Linoleic acid is a major component of sebum that does what it's supposed to. Acne and other problem prone skin have Been found to be deficient resulting in sebum that's sticky and causes skin cells to clump and log pores. Topical use of a high linoleic acid containing oil can help. Google oil cleansing methods ad see my thread thread on linoleic acid.

I really don't want to do oil cleansing method, I don't like that. How about the middle road method, water only evening and gentle cleanser morning?

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 03/03/2014 5:11 pm

I really don't want to do oil cleansing method, I don't like that. How about the middle road method, water only evening and gentle cleanser morning?

ok

MemberMember
(@dolan-duck)

Posted : 03/04/2014 3:50 am

Water.

I have oily skin. Blot excess. Oil isn't actually the problem. It's skin cells that clog pores, although the composition of your sebum can be a factor. Linoleic acid is a major component of sebum that does what it's supposed to. Acne and other problem prone skin have Been found to be deficient resulting in sebum that's sticky and causes skin cells to clump and log pores. Topical use of a high linoleic acid containing oil can help. Google oil cleansing methods ad see my thread thread on linoleic acid.

ok

How often do you do this oil cleansing?

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 03/04/2014 9:16 am

How often do you do this oil cleansing?

Not often. Mostly I cleanse with a damp cloth after smearing a little oil on my eye makeup to remove it. Then I apply a small amount of oil to wet skin which helps apply it very lightly.

MemberMember
(@moonboots)

Posted : 05/07/2014 9:21 am

Even though this is a really old post, I wanted to point a problem with this data because I just came across it as a top result in a search. None of the references listed here provide the sources of their information. This same list pops up all over the place on the internet, but never seems to be accompanied by valid references. The info may be correct, but without knowing the source, there is no way to judge its reliability.

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 05/28/2014 11:20 pm

How come you don't have BUTYLENE GLYCOL

It's definitely a comedogenic ingredient. Who knows how many people have reactions to it.

MemberMember
(@aussieaussie)

Posted : 12/15/2014 7:38 pm

green gables - question please

is there a difference between Stearic acid and Strearic acid TEA or are they the same ? - just found out from the acne expert apparently stearic acid TEA is combination of both Stearic Acid and Triethanolaimine (which each on their own is about 2 but together is 3)

MemberMember
(@aussieaussie)

Posted : 12/16/2014 1:06 am

<p>benzac daily facial liquid cleanser&nbsp; -Aqua, disodium laureth sulfosuccinate, cocamidopropyl betaine, sodium C14-16 olefin sulfonate, cocamide dea, Calendula officinalis flower extract, Aloe barbadensis leaf extract, PEG -120 Methyl Glucose Dioleate, methyl gluceth-20, perfume (benzyl salicylate, geraniol, hexyl cinnamal, linalool, alpha isomethyl ionone), CI 42090, disodium EDTA, methylisothiazolinone, methylchloroisothiazolinone.</p>

<p>&nbsp;</p>

[Edited link out] or on [removed] website; the only one that comes up as mild on [removed] web site checker is the flower extract so the above comment regarding cocamidopropyl betaine might be&nbsp;a concern for hypoallergenic / sensitive people but it does not clog pores</p>

MemberMember
(@aussieaussie)

Posted : 12/16/2014 3:29 am

they must have changed the formulatin of the cethaphil daily SPF moisturizer here in Australia they I THINK THEY had the SPF 50 one couldn't find the 30 and it had myristyl mistrate in it

MemberMember
(@haveyoutried)

Posted : 02/20/2015 1:58 pm

When I used the mario badescu products my skin always used to break out like crazy, despite their claims of having "natural" products. Now, I see that most of their products mainly contain sodium lauryl sulfate. bingo.

MemberMember
(@claroquesi)

Posted : 03/18/2015 7:09 am

Why can't I see the first page? It gives an error. Could anyone quote the first post please?

MemberMember
(@callendula)

Posted : 04/17/2015 2:04 pm

Why can't I see the first page? It gives an error. Could anyone quote the first post please?

Are you still having trouble seeing the first page?

MemberMember
(@claroquesi)

Posted : 04/17/2015 2:40 pm

Are you still having trouble seeing the first page?

I can see it now, thanks.

MemberMember
(@oyinkan98)

Posted : 12/17/2015 10:44 pm

so propylparaben is non comedogenic?

MemberMember
(@bestesttexas)

Posted : 04/06/2016 9:46 pm

I would like to see the research about grapeseed oil. I have never read anything negative about it for facial skin, and repeatedly read that it's in fact, non-comdogenic. Anecdotally, it's the best thing I've ever applied to my face. Please provide research.

MemberMember
(@oyinkan98)

Posted : 04/06/2016 10:19 pm

32 minutes ago, BestestTexas said:

I would like to see the research about grapeseed oil. I have never read anything negative about it for facial skin, and repeatedly read that it's in fact, non-comdogenic. Anecdotally, it's the best thing I've ever applied to my face. Please provide research.

Grapeseed oil is noncomedogenic I think. To me, it doesn't really matter what is or isn't comedogenic. If it works for my skin, I'm going to keep using it.

DeLovely liked
MemberMember
(@poshmist)

Posted : 07/07/2016 12:04 pm

My dermatologist prescribed Bioderma Sebium Hydra as moisturizer.I checked the ingredients and there is Ethylhexyl palmitate, which is listed here as comedogenic (factor 4 out 5).

This confuses me. The doctor knows about my problem. Bioderma says the moisturizer is for acne prone skin. However, it has a comedogenic ingredient. By the way, this moisturizer is kinda greasy.

I then checked the ingredients on another moisturizer I bought, NeoStrata Bio-Hydrating Cream 15 PHA. This one was not prescribed. I just decided to buy it. It is not from their acne line, but still. It has Isocetyl Alcohol, also 4 out 5 on comedogenic factor.

Now I don't know if I should use these moisturizers.

And can anyone explain why these companies use ingredients that will most likely clog pores?

MemberMember
(@jenjen77)

Posted : 09/19/2016 4:17 pm

sooo dimethicone IS or IS NOT okay for acne prone skin when used in a hydrator?

MemberMember
(@justalittlelonger)

Posted : 11/03/2016 5:57 pm

aluminum zirconium tetrachlorohydrex gly (and any other aluminum derivatives), a common ingredient in antiperspirant. [removed] Even though you put it on your underarms, it can cause rashes and irritations in other parts of the body as well.

MemberMember
(@libby3)

Posted : 02/11/2017 4:57 pm

The post of all non-Comedogenicis a nonexistent page..