Notifications
Clear all

MAKEUP FUN! Different looks, tips, & tricks!

MemberMember
(@californiaestie)

Posted : 01/21/2011 5:43 pm

YouTube videos would be awesome!!! I would def watch. I notice that people who do the videos on youtube now have completely flawless skin...no red marks, nothing....what good does that do for me?!?! Although you have fantastic skin too, but you really know what you're doing and how to cover small imperfections. I'm really impressed especially with your concealer/foundation application. I struggle with concealer, so if you do end up making videos, please do a video on that. 😀

Oh yay! 😀

Hahaha I totally understand. I'll definitely do some when I am visibly breaking out (if that happens :() ! But if not, I'll explain how to cover red marks. I had to do it for YEARS so I know. Thanks by the way! I can definitely do a foundation/concealer video. What type of foundation/concealer do you use?

Right now I'm using Neutrogena Skin Clearing Foundation and Clinique Acne Solutions Concealer. Then, I use Clinique Almost Powder. I've used so many foundations. Can't seem to find one that has really good coverage though. My biggest issue right now is all the red marks....they're so frustrating because I can't seem to do a good job covering them up.

Hmmm. Yeah red marks can be really really hard. Is the Clinique concealer liquid, cream, stick? How do you do it? Like do you use your hands/brush/sponge?

Bek cogent you should give yourselve the orange tan lines along the cheeks, which for some reason is in atm. I would love to see what you look like with them 😛

Thats totally how id wear foundation/blusher if i was a girl

Hahah really? Shall I try it? You mean kind of like 80's style blush? Really horizontal and bright?

**Practice video 🙂**

MemberMember
(@californiaestie)

Posted : 01/21/2011 6:05 pm

By the way- everyone please feel free to add your looks and or videos! I would love to see. :)

MemberMember
(@californiaestie)

Posted : 01/21/2011 7:27 pm

Jeeeez. So I did a WHOLE MAKEUP ROUTINE on Photo Booth and uploaded it and it stopped recording in the middle!! Lame & pointless. I'll try again tomorrow :(

MemberMember
(@rockingredhead)

Posted : 01/21/2011 11:32 pm

right now I have the makeup routine of a middle schooler - brown mascara and gloss. If I feel non-lazy enough to do it haha.

Beth what would you recommend for a school dance? I am a junior in high school and winter formal is coming up soon. In the past years I alternate between a black/grey smokey eye or red lips but this year I want to do something more natural looking. I haven't been wearing much makeup this year so I want to have that "cinderella moment" with my makeup - looking natural but not so obvious like the smokey eyes I usually do.

I have medium red hair, very pale skin, rosy cheeks, brown eyes. Evening out skin is a given, other than that what would you recommend? I pretty much have every makeup imaginable except primer.

later this weekend I will also post a couple makeup looks of my own and you/everyone else can critique it :)

MemberMember
(@vodkapoptart)

Posted : 01/22/2011 1:53 am

I watched your video and commented. I knew you'd be a natural at it. Hey, when you get all famous I get some of the profits for suggesting you make videos, right? You know once you get started and get a following you'll even have companies sending you stuff for free, wanting you to try it out. I see that happen alot on Youtube.

MemberMember
(@vampireninja09)

Posted : 01/22/2011 2:36 am

^I like the gurus that actually give HONEST reviews on products, and don't say what the companies what just to keep getting advertisement and free makeup. It's sad how many do that.

Edit: Also, bek, I think you should do more videos. That one was pretty good. Can't wait to see some of your makeup tutorials! =] I need more makeup ideas lol.

MemberMember
(@vodkapoptart)

Posted : 01/22/2011 2:46 am

^I like the gurus that actually give HONEST reviews on products, and don't say what the companies what just to keep getting advertisement and free makeup. It's sad how many do that.

Edit: Also, bek, I think you should do more videos. That one was pretty good. Can't wait to see some of your makeup tutorials! =] I need more makeup ideas lol.

Yeah, I like the honest ones too. And also the ones that actually use drug store alternatives because not everyone can afford high end makeup.

MemberMember
(@californiaestie)

Posted : 01/22/2011 3:27 am

right now I have the makeup routine of a middle schooler - brown mascara and gloss. If I feel non-lazy enough to do it haha.

Beth what would you recommend for a school dance? I am a junior in high school and winter formal is coming up soon. In the past years I alternate between a black/grey smokey eye or red lips but this year I want to do something more natural looking. I haven't been wearing much makeup this year so I want to have that "cinderella moment" with my makeup - looking natural but not so obvious like the smokey eyes I usually do.

I have medium red hair, very pale skin, rosy cheeks, brown eyes. Evening out skin is a given, other than that what would you recommend? I pretty much have every makeup imaginable except primer.

later this weekend I will also post a couple makeup looks of my own and you/everyone else can critique it 🙂

LOL!

School dance ideas:

1. Brown contoured and lined eyes. I would use a light shimmery champagne or silvery pink color all over. Then use a nice chocolate brown or something similar in your crease. Use a silvery pearlescent shadow under your brows and in the corners of your eyes. Use a dark brown pencil on your top lids right above your lash line. If you want to go a little dramatic with the eyes you could do brown on the bottom lash line too. You could also replace the champagne or pink with shimmery gold. They all look pretty. We have a very similar look except my eyes are blue. You could also do the same thing except use dark green eyeshadow/liner. That would make your eyes pop. Green and gold! Wear a sheer berry lip gloss or a coral lipstick.

2. Fairy lips! Do you wear lipstick/ colored gloss? Like would you be comfortable wearing it? I think it would be beautiful if you did a mix between a baby pink and a hot pink lip. You could wear hot pink lipstick (or something similar) and put a shimmery/sheeny light pink over it- in the center of your lips so they look really full. Then you could wear light reflecting eyeshadow and and black cat eye liner- very crisp and clean. It's not smoky but it's still a really beautiful impactful look.

Is any of this up your alley? I am going to stop there unless you want more ideas haha. And yay, can't wait for you to post your makeup looks 😀

MemberMember
(@californiaestie)

Posted : 01/22/2011 3:30 am

I watched your video and commented. I knew you'd be a natural at it. Hey, when you get all famous I get some of the profits for suggesting you make videos, right? 😆 You know once you get started and get a following you'll even have companies sending you stuff for free, wanting you to try it out. I see that happen alot on Youtube.

Thank you!! 🙂

Hahaha famous my butt. I highly doubt it! I definitely would NOT complain though!!! And you would be more than welcome to some of the profits hahaha. Ooooh. If I got a following that would be very exciting. Stoking my hopes up! lol. I'm glad you liked it at least. Next time I will actually do makeup! Ha!

MemberMember
(@californiaestie)

Posted : 01/22/2011 3:31 am

Haha. I'm sure a lot do. It would be pretty tempting but overall it makes the whole thing pretty pointless. It's a facade at that point. And thank you very much! Haha what makeup ideas would you like to see? Like just a general idea? I know a lot of ladies on here don't like a bright lip and I do so stuff like that... I am trying to get a general idea of what people like. 😉

MemberMember
(@jamris12)

Posted : 01/22/2011 4:12 am

i also think you're a natural. =D did it take a few takes? i was trying to make a short video clip for someone, but i just get the giggles when i'm on camera. it's bad. lol

you got some great deals! esp on the MAC lipsticks. i'm on a no buy for a while, so i will live vicariously thru makeup gurus like u.

can you do a party or going out look? thanks in advance.

MemberMember
(@californiaestie)

Posted : 01/22/2011 12:35 pm

i also think you're a natural. =D did it take a few takes? i was trying to make a short video clip for someone, but i just get the giggles when i'm on camera. it's bad. lol

you got some great deals! esp on the MAC lipsticks. i'm on a no buy for a while, so i will live vicariously thru makeup gurus like u.

can you do a party or going out look? thanks in advance.

Haha no I did it all at once! The giggles, lol, that would make it hard! Haha yes, live through me! I shouldn't really be buying stuff either but I am so .... that's that! Yes, I will definitely do a going out look!

MemberMember
(@hellolovve)

Posted : 01/22/2011 1:02 pm

Bek, I couldn't quote your comment above for some reason, but the concealer is a liquid. Sometimes I put it on with a brush, but usually get frustrated and use my finger to blend it in better. What do you recommend? Is a cream better than a liquid? I put my foundation on with a brush and love it. That seems to work really well. Do you think a sponge would be better? Sorry to be a bother. Thanks for all your help. At 23 I should know how to apply makeup lol, but I don't.

MemberMember
(@ayla)

Posted : 01/22/2011 3:29 pm

^the quote problem happened to me in this forum the other day... the page just wouldn't finish loading, I thought it was on my end. Maybe not..

Great video Bek! I commented, obviously I'd like to see a base video - foundation, concealer, primer - your skin is sooo perfect looking!

MemberMember
(@michellica)

Posted : 01/22/2011 8:30 pm

Yay, I'm so glad you're going to do videos now! Your pictures are lovely. You'll definitely have to come down to SoCal and go with me to Sephora. I've got to spend my gift cards, hehe. Btw, have you tried MUFE Full Cover concealer? I've been really wanting to try that one out, and have heard it's one of the best for covering blemishes/red marks.

Here's a pic of my peepers, lol. I love using eye shadows for liner.

post-130806-1295746289_thumb.jpg

post-130806-1295746289_thumb.jpg

MemberMember
(@chrizzy)

Posted : 01/23/2011 3:11 pm

What a great thread! And your make up looks are fabulous bek--your techniques are awesome.

This is one of my "polished" looks--I do it for work and church but tend to change up the color combos. For this one, I used the following:

Mary Kay Medium Coverage Foundation in Ivory 202

Mary Kay Mineral Powder in Ivory 1

Covergirl Exact Eyelights for Hazel Eyes shadow(a shimmery cream shade on the brow bone, the lighter brown, almost cafe au lait shade on the lid, the deeper brown color in the crease, and the light mint color on the inner eye)

Covergirl Exact Eyelights eyeliner in Majestic Jade

Almay intense i-color mascara in Black Emerald

Mary Kay Mineral Blush in Sunny Spice

L'Oreal Color Riche lipliner in Au Natural

L'Oreal Color Riche with Anti-Aging Serum lipstick in Blushing Bouquet

One pic was taken this morning right after I did the DKR, the other with my warpaint.

post-118223-1295813452_thumb.jpg

post-118223-1295813466_thumb.jpg

post-118223-1295813452_thumb.jpg

post-118223-1295813466_thumb.jpg

MemberMember
(@vanillacupcake)

Posted : 01/23/2011 7:27 pm

any tips for covering dry skin? my foundation always seems to flake off :( i use powder not liquid. i'm not really worried about covering spots cause i dont have any but the dry skin can just not be hidden!

MemberMember
(@chrizzy)

Posted : 01/23/2011 9:54 pm

Are you completely against using a liquid? The reason I ask is that a tinted moisturizer may work for you; when I was experiencing really bad flakes, I used Physician's Formula Organics tinted moisturizer and it actually helped, and for such a product, it covers quite well.

MemberMember
(@dangalang)

Posted : 01/23/2011 10:10 pm

One pic was taken this morning right after I did the DKR, the other with my warpaint.

LOL. Warpaint. Love it. Can I ask what you have on your lips? It looks lovely!

MemberMember
(@chrizzy)

Posted : 01/23/2011 11:02 pm

LOL. Warpaint. Love it. Can I ask what you have on your lips? It looks lovely!

Thanks! On my lips, I used L'Oreal Colour Riche Lipliner in Au Naturale (it's kind of a pinkish nude) and L'Oreal Colour Riche Anti-Aging Serum Lipstick in Blushing Bouquet (almost a mauve color). The only bad thing is that it has a weird smell, but I only notice it when I first put it on.

MemberMember
(@californiaestie)

Posted : 01/23/2011 11:55 pm

^the quote problem happened to me in this forum the other day... the page just wouldn't finish loading, I thought it was on my end. Maybe not..

Great video Bek! I commented, obviously 😆 I'd like to see a base video - foundation, concealer, primer - your skin is sooo perfect looking!

Huh that is weird!

Thank you hahaha your comment was hilarious. Awwww :] thank you!!! I will definitely do a base video. I have to get the lighting & camera thing down. I'll probably try tomorrow!!

MemberMember
(@californiaestie)

Posted : 01/23/2011 11:58 pm

Bek, I couldn't quote your comment above for some reason, but the concealer is a liquid. Sometimes I put it on with a brush, but usually get frustrated and use my finger to blend it in better. What do you recommend? Is a cream better than a liquid? I put my foundation on with a brush and love it. That seems to work really well. Do you think a sponge would be better? Sorry to be a bother. Thanks for all your help. At 23 I should know how to apply makeup lol, but I don't.

Hmm. I usually like a cream because I feel like it's more opaque and therefore becomes easier to cover with. I'll probably do a base skin video like Ayla suggested and that way you can see the awesome concealer I use! All the liquids I've used have eventually ended up sliding or getting greasy in some way and I hate that! I'm sure there are some good ones out there, but I haven't had a lot of luck with them yet. I think if a brush works for you you should use that! Haha no problem at all. We all learn things all the time :] I also set my concealer with powder on a small angle tipped brush!

MemberMember
(@hellolovve)

Posted : 01/24/2011 7:14 am

Hmm. I usually like a cream because I feel like it's more opaque and therefore becomes easier to cover with. I'll probably do a base skin video like Ayla suggested and that way you can see the awesome concealer I use! All the liquids I've used have eventually ended up sliding or getting greasy in some way and I hate that! I'm sure there are some good ones out there, but I haven't had a lot of luck with them yet. I think if a brush works for you you should use that! Haha no problem at all. We all learn things all the time :] I also set my concealer with powder on a small angle tipped brush!

Sounds good. I will try a cream. Keep me posted on the videos 🙂

MemberMember
(@californiaestie)

Posted : 01/24/2011 1:36 pm

Yay, I'm so glad you're going to do videos now! Your pictures are lovely. You'll definitely have to come down to SoCal and go with me to Sephora. I've got to spend my gift cards, hehe. Btw, have you tried MUFE Full Cover concealer? I've been really wanting to try that one out, and have heard it's one of the best for covering blemishes/red marks.

Here's a pic of my peepers, lol. I love using eye shadows for liner.

Aw thank you Michellica! 🙂

LOL I'd be more than happy to!! That would be a good time for sure. I actually haven't tried it, but I know a lot of people seem to like it! It's probably a good one to try. Your eyes look gawgggeous!

MemberMember
(@californiaestie)

Posted : 01/24/2011 1:37 pm

What a great thread! And your make up looks are fabulous bek--your techniques are awesome.

This is one of my "polished" looks--I do it for work and church but tend to change up the color combos. For this one, I used the following:

Mary Kay Medium Coverage Foundation in Ivory 202

Mary Kay Mineral Powder in Ivory 1

Covergirl Exact Eyelights for Hazel Eyes shadow(a shimmery cream shade on the brow bone, the lighter brown, almost cafe au lait shade on the lid, the deeper brown color in the crease, and the light mint color on the inner eye)

Covergirl Exact Eyelights eyeliner in Majestic Jade

Almay intense i-color mascara in Black Emerald

Mary Kay Mineral Blush in Sunny Spice

L'Oreal Color Riche lipliner in Au Natural

L'Oreal Color Riche with Anti-Aging Serum lipstick in Blushing Bouquet

Thank you so much!

Your makeup looks perfect! So pretty and fresh. Thanks for posting it! 😀

any tips for covering dry skin? my foundation always seems to flake off 🙁 i use powder not liquid. i'm not really worried about covering spots cause i dont have any but the dry skin can just not be hidden!

Hmm. What cleanser and moisturizer do you use? And what's your routine for makeup?