Notifications
Clear all

Long List of Makeup Tips!!

MemberMember
(@spottydotty)

Posted : 04/23/2007 12:24 am

Just had to add that Teddy eye kohl was definately one of my first MAC purchases and it is SOOO worth it :) I got it along with honesty, mulch, a blush duo (the hot pink/gold one) and some hyper real foundation....and then like 15 minutes later i went back for plum and swish eyeshadows as well as play it soft lipstick hehe

MemberMember
(@rush25)

Posted : 04/23/2007 12:29 am

Oh Swish....that was one of my first eye shadows I got from MAC when I was like 15.

Teddy is pure love. I could talk about Teddy's lovely goodness all day.

MemberMember
(@spottydotty)

Posted : 04/23/2007 12:35 am

yeah it was fun when i first got it, i was actually eyeing pink freeze but the guy at the counter talked me into this one but now i barely ever reach for it. Hey Rush, just out of curiousity what kind of coverage, in your opinion, is the studio fix powder capable of? I need atleast moderate and was looking into the studio fix and a concealer pot. I haven't been super impressed by the few MAC foundations that were suggested for me (i've tried hyper real which is a smidge too dark, but looks very fresh and glowy if applied lightly, but i think it might be breaking me out a bit...and studio tech which just smeared off my skin : / and I was "matched" like an NC25 but that just seemed all wrong..too dark and orange...) Thanks in advance!

MemberMember
(@rush25)

Posted : 04/23/2007 12:45 am

yeah it was fun when i first got it, i was actually eyeing pink freeze but the guy at the counter talked me into this one but now i barely ever reach for it. Hey Rush, just out of curiousity what kind of coverage, in your opinion, is the studio fix powder capable of? I need atleast moderate and was looking into the studio fix and a concealer pot. I haven't been super impressed by the few MAC foundations that were suggested for me (i've tried hyper real which is a smidge too dark, but looks very fresh and glowy if applied lightly, but i think it might be breaking me out a bit...and studio tech which just smeared off my skin : / and I was "matched" like an NC25 but that just seemed all wrong..too dark and orange...) Thanks in advance!
MemberMember
(@spottydotty)

Posted : 04/23/2007 12:52 am

Thanks for all the advice dear. I always did wonder about that wierd NC match due to the amount of pink undertones i have...I guess I just need to hight tail it down to the counters again soon and see if someone can get me a good match the powder.

MemberMember
(@lu-lu-belle)

Posted : 04/23/2007 1:46 pm

this is awesome! thank you so much for posting rush!

MemberMember
(@ayla)

Posted : 04/23/2007 6:16 pm

Excellent! Thanks Rush!

MemberMember
(@rush25)

Posted : 04/23/2007 9:18 pm

You're welcome

And everyone feel free to add to the list. I love hearing new tips...

MemberMember
(@scoobydoobydoo)

Posted : 04/26/2007 3:07 pm

yes! thank you rush!!!!

those tips are awesome!!!

here is a personal favorite of mine:

apply a white glimmery eyeshadow to the inner corner/tear duct area and then a dark matte shadow to the exterior corner, blending upwards towards the exterior crease. lightily dab at the middle of your eye where the 2 colors converge to create to create a "wash" effect.

note: the dark matte color should be suited to your eyes. ex: brown eyes-dark chocolate color

blue eyes-dark gray or navy blue, green eyes-dark grey

oh! another:

take a dark matte color that suits your eyes and apply very lightly to your entire lid, blending upwards towards the exterior crease.

then dip a tiny brush in water, dab into the same eyeshadow until pigment is absorbed and use it as an eyeliner. this looks beautiful!

MemberMember
(@lu-lu-belle)

Posted : 05/10/2007 12:30 pm

setting everything with mac fix+. since using it, i don't know how i would go without.

hmm.... let's see for other make-up tips. this really isn't a method and may sound a bit cheesy, but don't be afraid to be creative and try new things; you can always wash it off if you don't like it.

MemberMember
(@sephora28)

Posted : 05/16/2007 9:12 am

Don't mix foundations with conflicting undertones (one yellow and one pink) to try to create a neutral base. It will come out with an orange cast. Yellow+pink=pale orange.

Well, that's my tip.

MemberMember
(@rush25)

Posted : 05/16/2007 11:11 pm

Don't mix foundations with conflicting undertones (one yellow and one pink) to try to create a neutral base. It will come out with an orange cast. Yellow+pink=pale orange.

Well, that's my tip.

MemberMember
(@sephora28)

Posted : 05/17/2007 7:59 pm

another one: remember to apply concealer to your eyelids also, it looks weird to have covered up undereye circles and still have purple lids.

MemberMember
(@lexica)

Posted : 05/18/2007 2:20 pm

another one: remember to apply concealer to your eyelids also, it looks weird to have covered up undereye circles and still have purple lids.
MemberMember
(@jai)

Posted : 05/24/2007 2:48 pm

yes! thank you rush!!!!

those tips are awesome!!!

here is a personal favorite of mine:

apply a white glimmery eyeshadow to the inner corner/tear duct area and then a dark matte shadow to the exterior corner, blending upwards towards the exterior crease. lightily dab at the middle of your eye where the 2 colors converge to create to create a "wash" effect.

note: the dark matte color should be suited to your eyes. ex: brown eyes-dark chocolate color

blue eyes-dark gray or navy blue, green eyes-dark grey

oh! another:

take a dark matte color that suits your eyes and apply very lightly to your entire lid, blending upwards towards the exterior crease.

then dip a tiny brush in water, dab into the same eyeshadow until pigment is absorbed and use it as an eyeliner. this looks beautiful!

MemberMember
(@scoobydoobydoo)

Posted : 05/27/2007 9:16 am

pigment trick? what is that? how do you do it?

im curios! have hazel eyes, want to try the bronze eye shadow

MemberMember
(@rush25)

Posted : 05/27/2007 5:52 pm

Eye shadow as pigment trick? Explain!!

MemberMember
(@sephora28)

Posted : 05/28/2007 3:12 pm

^mix some gold eyeshadow in your foundation for a night of clubbing and watch how you glow :)

MemberMember
(@jai)

Posted : 05/28/2007 9:24 pm

Eye shadow as pigment trick? Explain!!
MemberMember
(@rush25)

Posted : 05/28/2007 9:37 pm

I suppose I'm missing the whole pigment thing. Sounds like you're just saying to use eye shadow as liner.

MemberMember
(@sephora28)

Posted : 06/03/2007 4:45 pm

I have a tip for all y'all ppp's that blush looks way too bold/fake on ya. I use a pink based ivory pressed powder as blush. It is a slight color, but still enough to look like "blush" and it doesn't look clown bright against my (literal) white skin :D

MemberMember
(@prettylady213)

Posted : 06/13/2007 7:50 pm

Rush,

Ok, sorry, but I just found this site/thread, so maybe you've already answered this...but I have to ask.

What do you use for foundation/concealer? StudioFix? I started using Studio Fix ten years ago, it's the only powder/foundation I've loved consistently. I just can't ever get used to liquid foundations...used Hyper Real for a while. But, I started using Bare Minerals because I thought it might clear up my skin (made no difference). And I went back to Studio Fix. But, I just feel like the color I have right now is too orange (NW25) and I'm applying it with a brush --- a Sephora brush --- because the girl said I said I shouldn't use the pad, which I did for years, but now it looks to cakey and heavy. So should I try that brush you mentioned? Or will that not make much of a difference?

Also, I've been matched to so many different colors..everything from C2, C4 to NW25 and that's just what I have in my drawer now. What's up with that? Could my skin really change that much? I definitely know NW25 is not my color...it's way too obvious.

Are there any other MAC products you recommend for oily/acne-prone skin?

And you put BP and moisturizer on before you put your foundation on? Doesn't that feel like you are just putting so much stuff on your skin? What BP do you use? Neutrogena or Dan's?

And what moisturizer do you use? I just bought the mattifying one for my oily skin...not sure about it though.

And then after BP, moisturizer, you use blot powder on you T-Zone, right? And then foundation, (concealer?), and then Blot Powder again?

And, one more question, my makeup is alway so GONE by the end of the day. I swear, I might as well have not worn any. Any tips for making it stay and for any tips for touching up and controlling oil during the day?

Ok, that's all, thanks in advance for your help. I just love MAC and makeup, but hate oily skin/acne and you seem like you really know a lot about how to handle both and still look pretty!!

Thanks!

MemberMember
(@rush25)

Posted : 06/13/2007 9:40 pm

What do you use for foundation/concealer? StudioFix? I started using Studio Fix ten years ago, it's the only powder/foundation I've loved consistently. I just can't ever get used to liquid foundations...used Hyper Real for a while. But, I started using Bare Minerals because I thought it might clear up my skin (made no difference). And I went back to Studio Fix. But, I just feel like the color I have right now is too orange (NW25) and I'm applying it with a brush --- a Sephora brush --- because the girl said I said I shouldn't use the pad, which I did for years, but now it looks to cakey and heavy. So should I try that brush you mentioned? Or will that not make much of a difference?

I use Studio Fix when I go to work or when I want more coverage. I use Clinique Clarifying Clear Skin Formula foundation when I'm not wearing Studio Fix....like when it's hot and humid here and when I'm going to class. Lately I've been wearing Clinique Clarifying five days a week and only Studio Fix when I go to work. I use MAC Studio Finish concealer with the 191 brush. If you like using sponges, use sponges. Just go buy some disposable sponges. Or use the MAC 187.

Also, I've been matched to so many different colors..everything from C2, C4 to NW25 and that's just what I have in my drawer now. What's up with that? Could my skin really change that much? I definitely know NW25 is not my color...it's way too obvious.

Your skin can change a lot from season to season. Right now I have three Studio Fixes in NW25, NW30, and NW35.

Are there any other MAC products you recommend for oily/acne-prone skin?

MAC Blot Powder.

And you put BP and moisturizer on before you put your foundation on? Doesn't that feel like you are just putting so much stuff on your skin? What BP do you use? Neutrogena or Dan's?

I use Dan's BP. And it doesn't really feel like I have much on my skin...not anymore than before I started the regimen. I put the BP on about 30 minutes before my moisturizer. I don't mean to wait that long, it just ends up that way.

And what moisturizer do you use? I just bought the mattifying one for my oily skin...not sure about it though.

I'm using Complex 15 right now because it's so humid outside and I get oily so fast. When it's not summer, I use Lac Hydrin 5.

And then after BP, moisturizer, you use blot powder on you T-Zone, right? And then foundation, (concealer?), and then Blot Powder again?

Yep. BP, Complex 15, Blot Powder on my t-zone, foundation, concealer if needed, Blot Powder again, bronzer, Fix+ spray.

And, one more question, my makeup is alway so GONE by the end of the day. I swear, I might as well have not worn any. Any tips for making it stay and for any tips for touching up and controlling oil during the day?

Using Blot Powder before your foundation helps a lot. And touching up with it throughout the day with Blot Powder controls oil during the day.

Ok, that's all, thanks in advance for your help. I just love MAC and makeup, but hate oily skin/acne and you seem like you really know a lot about how to handle both and still look pretty!!

Thanks!

MemberMember
(@prettylady213)

Posted : 06/14/2007 8:00 pm

Thanks Rush25,

That's really helpful. Ok, one more question, I promise: Is the brush for Studio Fix that you suggested worth it?

I mean, does it really make a big difference. Because I'm using a Sephora brush right now and it looks cakey.

MemberMember
(@rush25)

Posted : 06/14/2007 8:43 pm

The MAC 187 brush makes a huge difference for me. I love it. I don't know if it will make a difference for you. Because I don't know what brush you are using and I don't know how you apply it. You may be using too much product.