Notifications
Clear all

Jojoba oil..

MemberMember
(@ant24)

Posted : 04/05/2006 7:18 pm

Anything with the word oil in it HAS to clog pores, at least thats what my mind tells me

"Jojoba oil is similar to, and miscible with, sebum, which is secreted by human sebaceous glands to lubricate and protect skin and hair. When sebum production decreases due to age, pollutants, or environmental stresses, jojoba oil can be used to replicate sebum oil."

This sounds to me that it acts as a replica of what u DONT want. How does this help ur skin??!!

MemberMember
(@sayitloud)

Posted : 04/05/2006 7:35 pm

it won't clog your pores. i promise. plenty of oils don't clog pores.

Like flaxseed oil

MemberMember
(@labgirl81)

Posted : 04/05/2006 8:05 pm

Anything with the word oil in it HAS to clog pores, at least thats what my mind tells me

"Jojoba oil is similar to, and miscible with, sebum, which is secreted by human sebaceous glands to lubricate and protect skin and hair. When sebum production decreases due to age, pollutants, or environmental stresses, jojoba oil can be used to replicate sebum oil."

This sounds to me that it acts as a replica of what u DONT want. How does this help ur skin??!!

That's what I wan to know......I have so much oil.....why would I want more???

MemberMember
(@ant24)

Posted : 04/06/2006 2:07 pm

exactly, thats why i dont understand it.

MemberMember
(@ilovecanada)

Posted : 04/06/2006 4:01 pm

if you don't want more oil then don't put it on your face, i don't quite understand your question. lots of oils do not clog pores, most americans are paranoid about oil and they don't even know why, not all oils are bad (mineral oil is for example), there is a lot of them that absorb faster than any lotion and there is a lot of oils used to treat oily skin, take botanical oils, they are pure plant extracts that are water soluable and therefor not poreclogging!

MemberMember
(@blo0dcriesz)

Posted : 04/06/2006 9:26 pm

Why would you put this oil on your face anyway? I do not believe everyone needs to use moisturizer. If you have dry skin then you should. And I certainly don't believe it reduces sebum. The theory of jojoba oil is that it reduces your sebum production because it "tricks" your skin into thinking it already produced enough sebum. Doesn't work that way :)

MemberMember
(@labgirl81)

Posted : 04/07/2006 8:31 am

if you don't want more oil then don't put it on your face, i don't quite understand your question. lots of oils do not clog pores, most americans are paranoid about oil and they don't even know why, not all oils are bad (mineral oil is for example), there is a lot of them that absorb faster than any lotion and there is a lot of oils used to treat oily skin, take botanical oils, they are pure plant extracts that are water soluable and therefor not poreclogging!

If it's an "oil" is is not water soluble.........Um jojoba oil, emu oil, tea tree oil, evening primorse oil, borage oil, olive oil, coconut oil (ewww) and whatever other oils you gus seem to love to slater on you faces.....are all insolube in water.....

Some oils are more pore clogging than others.....mineral oil isn't any worse than olive oil (it may actually be better than olive oil comedogenicity wise).........

Jojoba oil isn't even an oil......it's a liquid wax (an unsaturated wax ester)....it's actually similar to the wax esters present in our sebum.....they consist of long chain fatty acids (36C-46C) esterfied to fatty alcohols....jojoba may be like a least worst of oil to put on your face....

But with the exception of tea tree oil (it's antimicrobial) most oils applied to the face just feed the bacteria....If you have ance this isn't a good thing.....

If you have dry skin a little jojoba oil isn't so bad....it is slightly occlusive and creates an artificial barrier on the skin to prevent transepidermal water loss......not a bad moisturizer......

Putting oil on your face dosen't make your sebaceous glands produce less oil....they just don't work like that.....putting oil on your face only makes it more oily.....which isn't a horrible thing if you have dry skin.....

MemberMember
(@equitablejaw)

Posted : 12/03/2015 10:47 am

On Thu Apr 06 2006 2226 GMT+0100, ilovecanada said:

On Fri Apr 07 2006 1412 GMT+0100, LabGirl81 said:

If it's an "oil" is is not water soluble.........Um jojoba oil, emu oil, tea tree oil, evening primorse oil, borage oil, olive oil, coconut oil (ewww) and whatever other oils you gus seem to love to slater on you faces.....are all insolube in water.....

Some oils are more pore clogging than others.....mineral oil isn't any worse than olive oil (it may actually be better than olive oil comedogenicity wise).........

Jojoba oil isn't even an oil......it's a liquid wax (an unsaturated wax ester)....it's actually similar to the wax esters present in our sebum.....they consist of long chain fatty acids (36C-46C) esterfied to fatty alcohols....jojoba may be like a least worst of oil to put on your face....

But with the exception of tea tree oil (it's antimicrobial) most oils applied to the face just feed the bacteria....If you have ance this isn't a good thing.....

If you have dry skin a little jojoba oil isn't so bad....it is slightly occlusive and creates an artificial barrier on the skin to prevent transepidermal water loss......not a bad moisturizer......

Putting oil on your face dosen't make your sebaceous glands produce less oil....they just don't work like that.....putting oil on your face only makes it more oily.....which isn't a horrible thing if you have dry skin.....

Pretty much all correct here. There are several smaller manufacturers who will put jojoba oil and other anti-inflamitories to try to counteract Benzoyl Peroxide and other skin dryers. Amazon is a good place to search, just do your research first. I personally use a box set called dualosophy which avoids the photosensitizers, like bp,in the morning. Here's their link **link removed**or just look up something similar on Amazon.