Notifications
Clear all

Generic Spiros not all equal!!

MemberMember
(@363085_1443950141)

Posted : 10/19/2018 4:46 am

Spironolactone was a wonder drug for me. Complete and total miracle, and transformed my hormonal acne.
That is until my pharmacystarted switching generics.
I am so frustrated, my insurance wont pay for the brand name Aldactone.
(Ihave never tried the brand-name but Im just assuming its better).
For anyone else who has had this problem, which brands do you find are the worst?
These are the brands I have tried with success:
-Sun Pharmaceuticals 50 mg twice per day (total 100 mg ). This pill was white and round and minty.
-Amneal BIEGE 50 mg twice per day (total 100 mg). This pill was brownish beige and matte texture. Ialso had success taking 100 mg pill once per day from the same manufacturer (same brownish color).

Then my pharmacy gave me yellow pills.
They still have a AN (pharmacy says they are from Amneal) on them but they are yellow with a shiny texture.
Afterabout one week on the yellow pills I started getting cystic acne again and was bloated/puffy. I didnt put ittogether until I noticed my sex drive was also going through the roof.
I had some of the 100mgbeige pills in my medicine cabinet so I started taking those instead and within a couple days I lost all the water weight andmy skin immediately dried up with no more acne.

WhenI called the pharmacy to complain, they are not too helpful I get my stuff filled at Giant Eagle pharmacy. They said they have no control over which generic they order. There are only certain brands they can special order.

Imreally frustrated.

Hasanyone else had this experience? The main reason Im confused is because apparently theyre both manufactured by Amneal but why would one set of pills be beige and the other one yellow?
Itssuper annoying to feel like I know more than the pharmacy tech.

Any advice?

Angelinna liked
MemberMember
(@angelinna)

Posted : 10/19/2018 11:06 am

I agree, I've tried several brands and each one gave different side effects. The first 2 tries, I gave up because the side effects were so bad, one of which was Aldactone. I thought brand name was the best but I was wrong. I'm not saying it's bad for everyone, but for me personally it was because I have a sensitive stomach and it caused stomach pains. I'm now happily using a generic from Canada called teva-spironolactone. The only side effects I have are peeling/dry lips and puffy eyes (only when I eat too much salt, don't drink enough water and sleep with my head not elevated).