Notifications
Clear all

Terrified of Accutane !!

MemberMember
(@hellonheels)

Posted : 06/27/2018 12:05 pm

Hi everyone,
So I am a 15 yr old girl who was just put on Beyaz for my acne. The gynaecologist did a blood test around a week ago and said that there was 'nothing significant' with my hormone levels, but that Beyaz will help. Today I went to a dermatologist and she said that while Beyaz should help my acne, it won't clear all of it up and she wants to give me something stronger.

A little backstory on my acne- It has been going on for years. 3-4 years of acne and I've tried everything under the sun. Minocycline, Aczone, Salicylic acid, Clindamycin, everything, and my skin did not react significantly to any of them. I've seen kids at school get and get rid of their acne while I struggle endlessly with it. I'm trying to decide if i want to try Accutane. Right now I'm debating if it's worth all the side effects.

While I get the occasional nasty cyst on my chin, I do not believe my acne is cystic, but it is stubborn and it is beginning to scar. My skin also used to be extremely oily all over my face, but it changed and suddenly became combination, oily around my T-zone and dry on my cheeks. I narrowed this down to my cleanser which was too strong for me, but my cheeks have never returned to how they were before.

Today I started the process of getting Accutane (I am also not sure what dosage she is going to give me just yet). She also prescribed me doxycycline just to tide me over for the month that I have to wait before I get Accutane. I am a little (okay, a lot) concerned of what Accutane is going to do to me. I know it's supposed to clear my face, but it's also meant for cystic acne. If any of you have any advice or comments about what I should expect, I would appreciate it.

MemberMember
(@ludadubz)

Posted : 07/05/2018 8:56 pm

hi hellonwheels,

i am currently on a lowdose accutane treatment (20mgs a day) and I am on my 3rd month and have 19 more to go before i end my treatment and reach my cumulative dose (if i stay on low dose). The only side effects I am currently experiencing is dry skin and dry lips, nothing else. I am a huge advocate for low dosing to lessen the side effects, but the treatment will be longer if you do do a low dose treatment.

i would at least suggest to your derm that you start out at a low dose and then gradually increase it...that way you can get an idea of how your body reacts to it.

in regards to the initial break out, expect the worst but hope for the best. I have been breaking out since week 1 and i am about to start month 4 next week, but from what I gather, people usually start to get better around the 2nd-3rd month of their treatment if they do experience the initial breakout and others clear up right away and other clear up towards the end of their treatment. Every individual is differrnt so it definitely varies.

You will more than likely experience dry skin and lips so you may want to invest in a moisturizer and lip balm that will combat those symptoms AND you want to take that lip balm with you eveerryywhere you go. I got dr. Dans cortibalm and that works real good.

Hope that helped and if you have any other questions, i will be more than happy to offer you an answer.