Notifications
Clear all

Tretinoin - Too expensive?

MemberMember
(@armrunner26)

Posted : 12/22/2017 1:56 pm

So yesterday I went to the derm just to see what I could do to improve my skin (dullness, lots of blackheads/whiteheads on face, some mild acne on cheekbones, temples and shoulders/chest) and he recommended a .1% retinoid (it was Tazorac I believe) for my face. When we went to pick it up at CVS afterwards, even after insurance had kicked in (we have a pretty well-covered plan) one tube was THREE HUNDRED FIFTY-ONE DOLLARS! $351. I obviously want to use a retinoid cream still, since it's what the doctor noticed would improve my clogged pores and whatnot, but we simply can't afford to pay for this prescription (and additional ones, if that ends up being a necessity). 

Have you guys ever noticed certain topical creams and retinoids being WAY too expensive? What alternative strategies would you recommend (OTC, prescriptions through other pharmacies, etc.)? I hope I don't sound greedy by asking this question :/ it just doesn't seem right to me. 

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 12/22/2017 2:39 pm

You could have tried a face wash that had salicylic acid in it,over the weeks you use it that should clear your pores,also it should start to break down any blackheads you have.

suggest you keep your face clean,keep fingers off it and keep hygene clean.
:)

MemberMember
(@oyinkan98)

Posted : 12/22/2017 3:18 pm

1 hour ago, Armrunner26 said:

So yesterday I went to the derm just to see what I could do to improve my skin (dullness, lots of blackheads/whiteheads on face, some mild acne on cheekbones, temples and shoulders/chest) and he recommended a .1% retinoid (it was Tazorac I believe) for my face. When we went to pick it up at CVS afterwards, even after insurance had kicked in (we have a pretty well-covered plan) one tube was THREE HUNDRED FIFTY-ONE DOLLARS! $351. I obviously want to use a retinoid cream still, since it's what the doctor noticed would improve my clogged pores and whatnot, but we simply can't afford to pay for this prescription (and additional ones, if that ends up being a necessity). 

Have you guys ever noticed certain topical creams and retinoids being WAY too expensive? What alternative strategies would you recommend (OTC, prescriptions through other pharmacies, etc.)? I hope I don't sound greedy by asking this question :/ it just doesn't seem right to me. 

You could try a weaker form of Vitamin A, which is Retinol. It's otc and weaker than tretinoin but you can achieve the same results, only that it'd take a longer time.