Notifications
Clear all

Desperate for help for teenage son

MemberMember
(@sandeebe)

Posted : 12/21/2017 11:19 pm

Hi, my 17 year old son has horrible cystic acne. He has been to several dermatologists since he was 13 or 14 years old. He has tried antibiotics, topics, washes, you name it. Nothing seems to help. Every single doctor we have seen has recommended Accutane for him. I know it is a major and scary drug but he and I are both willing for him to try it. The problem is, he can not swallow pills. He has been trying on and off for years. Of course he has a horrible fear of needles as well but I think he can manage that if he was just able to swallow a darn pill. He is now a senior and HS and we have gone round and round more times then I can count about all this. His grades are sliding, he is no longer enthusiastic about college or his future due to his horrible acne. He shys away from conversation with girls etc. This has been horrible for his self esteem and it has only continued to get worse. We have tried the "put it in applesauce", drink with a straw, throw the pill in the back of your throat, etc etc. He has watched countless youtube videos, you name it.  Anytime he has to take a pill he either crushes it or if a capsule puts the contents in apple sauce. We have heard you cant do this with Accutane. I am at my wits end as I don't know what else to do for him. His grades are falling, his self esteem is gone, he is just embarrassed to be seen. He has managed to continue as his job but I am seriously very concerned. We need to do something NOW. Does anyone have any other ideas? I keep searching for something new. The amount of scaring he has on his face, chest and back is horrible. He gets very large cysts. Of course derms also want to drain or inject in them which he won't let them do. We just finally stopped going as everyone we saw either suggested the same stuff he has tried more then once, or said nothing will help except Accutane. :(

Please anyone???

MemberMember
(@duperele)

Posted : 12/22/2017 3:51 am

Well... That sounds hillarious. Get a cup of water, and try to swallow the pill with the water. He has try until he learns to swallow pills. It is rather stupid not the be able to swallow pills (if you don't have any medical condition that prevents you from doing that). Just try until he learns it.

MemberMember
(@sandeebe)

Posted : 12/22/2017 12:07 pm

How does that sound hilarious????? Of course it is stupid that he can't swallow pills but thanks for not offering any actual help or even compassion.

MemberMember
(@808toms)

Posted : 12/22/2017 5:27 pm

Hi, I think your son should try some meditation and relaxation. You could try practicing with m&ms, or even ice. Smaller and smaller items until you get up to the pill. Claravis 30mg pills, which are what I am on, are tiny BTW. Seriously so tiny. But if he gets side effects like joint pain, etc. he will need fish oil which is bigger. Also recommend milk thistle to protect the liver.

Juwalker liked
MemberMember
(@jazzguy)

Posted : 12/22/2017 5:27 pm

Hey sandeebe, just wondering where you heard that you can't crush the accutane pills and swallow with a little food? I'm not sure how much truth there is in that assertion. I know some people who struggle with swallowing pills..you need to be relaxed to do it and people who struggle with pills are anything but just at the thought of it. There's not much to say other than what you've already tried I'd suppose. Try him with something really small for practice like a tic tac?

Juwalker liked
MemberMember
(@duperele)

Posted : 12/23/2017 7:24 am

There are acute conditions where you require a pill in order to even survive. What would your son do in such case? swallowing pills is something everybody must learn.

MemberMember
(@sandeebe)

Posted : 12/24/2017 12:51 pm

808toms & Jazzguy - I thought they were all liquid filled type gel caps. Can you take a pic of what yours looks like? Actually they do have a kids chewable fish oil I bought it for him a couple years ago. He took them for a while as I had "heard" it was another thing that could help acne. He has been practicing with tic tacs and so far just not happening. I am very curious though about the ones that are actual pills since all I have read are gel/liquid filled that can literally burn a whole in your throat. Are you taking the Isotrentinoin. I'll have to look at the Claravis. how long have you guys been on it? How is the improvment and side effects so far. Do you have the cystic type of acne?  Duperele. I know what you are saying, I really do!!! I always wondered what would happen IF he had to go to the hospital. Knock on wood, he is a healthy teen and at 17 years old has thankfully not had to deal with any serious medical issues. although if you look at it the other way, it also has not forced him to be a "tough" type of kid. :(