Notifications
Clear all

Why am I only on 10mg Accutane?

MemberMember
(@scarright)

Posted : 08/19/2017 7:30 am

Howdy,

Three months ago I started Accutane. I'm 85kgs and have been prescribed 10mg a day. My next appointment is in 11 days. It has failed to have any effect whatsoever. No side effects except dry lips

I wonder why I was prescribed such a low dose for three months? Normally people are on higher doses after three months.

I will raise these concerns with the dermatologist. I could be on Accutane for years if I stick with 10mg, as it would take a long time to reach the desired 120-150mg per kilo.

Thanks for any comments.

MemberMember
(@juwalker)

Posted : 08/23/2017 6:48 pm

How's it going? R u still on 10mg? I think the dermis

Meant to say : the derms these days seem more cautious, probably due to Sid effects.

Heard the approach is changing so they treat til acnegone rather than cumulative dose approach. Anyone else hear this?

MemberMember
(@scarright)

Posted : 09/01/2017 2:15 am

I visited my Dermatoligst again. He has kept me on 10mg and refuses to go any higher. He says the old method of going 120-150mg per body wright culmitave dose is outdated and low doses have the same effectiveness for an adult who is 33 and has persistent, low level acne. My next appointment is in 6 months. I will stick to 10mg for this time.

Interestingly, my dermatolgst states there has been an improvement in my skin, but I may need another 12 months on this low dose to be completely clear. Interesting, because the low dose over a long course is a new method it seems. Most people are on doses of 40-100mg a day.

MemberMember
(@jamielynnxo)

Posted : 09/05/2017 4:31 pm

It seems really weird that you will have another appointment in 6 months. And accutane can damage your liver..which is why derms usually put people on high doses for short times. Since it'll be over with quicker. I would try and find another dermatologist because to me it doesn't seem right. I just started and I'm on 40mg for 2 months and then I'll be on 60 or 2.5 months and my treatment will be done. And I do blood tests every month. So I would definitely find someone else.

MemberMember
(@bix)

Posted : 09/07/2017 10:33 pm

Hey there , I'm as well on 10 mg daily, but at the same time I weigh 44kg. However, I've come across a scientific paper saying that a low dose is as effective as a high dose for low-moderate acne , plus lower side effects.

The other thing is that it's no longer required to have blood tests every month, it's only required at the start of the treatment.

But yeah, I wish I could get my dose increased to 20 mg

MemberMember
(@scarright)

Posted : 09/08/2017 6:57 am

I am not required to take anymore blood tests. I have had two, but do not need any others since I'm sticking with 10mg.

Reading online, there does seem to be quite a few studies stating that a low dose regime can be as equally as effective as going 60-100mg a day. Clearly my dermatologist agrees with this new, low dose style thinking.

I will follow my dermatologist. I have been on 10mg for almost 4 months now. At least dry lips is my only side effect.

MemberMember
(@moonlitriver)

Posted : 09/08/2017 9:21 am

I'm on 10mg as well, in month 3. Most recent research does suggest that 10mg and 20mg courses are just as effective with far fewer side effects, so I'm trying to maintain hope. I also don't think my body would tolerate more than 20mg given how extremely it's reacted in terms of side effects to 2 months on 10mg.....

MemberMember
(@celestialelf)

Posted : 09/08/2017 3:08 pm

Okay, I think your doctor actually has a point. I was on 20mg a day and it cleared me (for a while). Actually I started spacing them out so that it was every other day and I still maintained clear skin. For me, Accutane works extremely quickly. My skin gets worse the first 4 days and then starts to resolve itself. Within 3 weeks I am almost clear. Unfortunately it doesn't LAST long for me once I'm off it.

It's true that the old mega doses are outdated and possible dangerous and unnecessary for most people. The lowest effective dose is the safest. It may take a long time for you to see results but the plus side is less intense side effects.

MemberMember
(@scarright)

Posted : 09/09/2017 6:08 am

Very good point Celestia. My dermatologist states that it may take 12-18 months and using this method, he has only seen 3-4 people not respond to Accutane. He also says to expect 10% improvement per month, so hang in there.

I also don't want to experience intense drying side effects with higher doses
My lips are bad enough with 10mg.