Notifications
Clear all

My progress on spironolactone!

MemberMember
(@desperatevegan)

Posted : 10/13/2017 7:10 pm

... still nothing. Wow.

After months of consistently breaking out I've hit a clear patch. Still doubt it'll stay but I'm enjoying it while I can.

sara1990 and Juwalker liked
MemberMember
(@juwalker)

Posted : 10/14/2017 2:35 am

Just looked back at your first post. It's been just over 4 months now hasn't it? I think the next month or two will be the turning point for you now if my experience with dianette is in anyway similar. Glad to hear you're having a clear patch. Enjoy!

MemberMember
(@desperatevegan)

Posted : 10/17/2017 4:07 pm

Another five days of being clear. I could cry, I'm so happy. I never thought I'd get this clear ever again in my entire life.

MemberMember
(@juwalker)

Posted : 10/17/2017 5:04 pm

Yay!! So happy for you. Enjoy!!! ;D;D

MemberMember
(@desperatevegan)

Posted : 10/21/2017 7:49 am

I actually have a bit of an update today. So unfortunately, like I said before, the clear patch I went through didn't last. It's not so bad though. I currently have one bad spot on my cheek. It's not big and I actually don't think it's cystic. It was a regular little spot earlier this week and now it's just healing and inflamed? It's been the same size for like three days now. I don't think it'll get worse, but I accidentally punched myself in the face earlier (sounds ridiculous but water bottles can be hard to open sometimes ok lol), and it's more inflamed but I iced it and put some aloe on it so hopefully it gets better and doesn't leave too much of a mark. I'm still feeling good though. I nearly went an entire month 100% clear. I think I got this breakout because of my period, but those kinds of breakouts are still to be expected.

MemberMember
(@desperatevegan)

Posted : 10/21/2017 10:18 pm

Mini update:

I don't know why I didn't mention it earlier but I have a terrible case of strep. I realized my body is probably trying so hard to get well again, its main concern most definitely isn't my skin. My throat burns and really hurts. My back aches, and my body feels tired and weak. I'll update when I'm well again and I'll see if getting well helps this breakout because I think now that it is cystic. My body seems to be keeping it from getting worse as fast as it usually would, but it still sucks.

MemberMember
(@desperatevegan)

Posted : 10/23/2017 2:06 pm

Sad update:

I'm so mad. This fucking breakout is awful. It's surfacing, I've been using my exfoliating mask to try to get it to go away faster. It's so ugly. I've ran out of things to try. I've spent years trying topical treatments and I already know it's useless to try and apply anything else to it at this point. I'll just have to wait it out and deal with a massive red spot on my face for the millionth time in my life. I know my breakouts are hormonal, but I wish I could find at least something to apply that will effectively relieve pain and reduce swelling. Literally nothing I apply to my breakouts really seems to help.

MemberMember
(@juwalker)

Posted : 10/23/2017 5:28 pm

Sorry to hear you're having a tough time. It probably is your period and you will have to ride it out. It will get better in terms of less severe breakouts, the longer you are on Spiro I expect. Keep strong.

3 hours ago, DesperateVegan said:

Sad update:

I'm so mad. This fucking breakout is awful. It's surfacing, I've been using my exfoliating mask to try to get it to go away faster. It's so ugly. I've ran out of things to try. I've spent years trying topical treatments and I already know it's useless to try and apply anything else to it at this point. I'll just have to wait it out and deal with a massive red spot on my face for the millionth time in my life. I know my breakouts are hormonal, but I wish I could find at least something to apply that will effectively relieve pain and reduce swelling. Literally nothing I apply to my breakouts really seems to help.

sara1990 liked
MemberMember
(@desperatevegan)

Posted : 10/23/2017 6:03 pm

35 minutes ago, Juwalker said:

Sorry to hear you're having a tough time. It probably is your period and you will have to ride it out. It will get better in terms of less severe breakouts, the longer you are on Spiro I expect. Keep strong.

Yeah, I really think it's mostly from me being sick. My period is probably what started it, but being sick is probably what allowed it to get so bad. I'm getting better though. My throat doesn't hurt as much. I should be better by the end of the week, and hopefully this breakout too. I guess I'll just have to wait it out and see.

Juwalker liked
MemberMember
(@desperatevegan)

Posted : 10/24/2017 6:14 am

This spot actually hasn't gotten any worse since it showed up really, but it's just so ugly. It's definitely going away now. I've decided to start derma rolling sometime soon. I'm not waiting a year for these red spots and all that blotchiness to go away. Besides, it'll help repair some damage from all those years of breakouts. I'll update when I finally get a derma roller. Hopefully sometime next month.

MemberMember
(@juwalker)

Posted : 10/25/2017 4:50 pm

Strep sounds horrible. Never had it, so looked it up. Do u ever take those probiotic drinks like Actimel? That could help you to build up your good bacteria. We have them every day either as a yoghurt drink or in yoghurt itself.

MemberMember
(@desperatevegan)

Posted : 10/25/2017 5:33 pm

43 minutes ago, Juwalker said:

Strep sounds horrible. Never had it, so looked it up. Do u ever take those probiotic drinks like Actimel? That could help you to build up your good bacteria. We have them every day either as a yoghurt drink or in yoghurt itself.

I actually don't think I had strep. It was most likely a virus. I think I've only had strep once when I was little, but I've had a virus that felt a lot like this a few years ago. I'm not too worried about it, I'm doing much better. Probiotics don't really protect against strep throats though? I have these little duck fruit snacks that have probiotics, and I eat almond milk yogurt which has probiotics too. I also drink kombucha pretty often.

----

Update (I hate how my replies merge wtf):

I've got good news, and more good news today. I'm definitely getting better!! My throat doesn't hurt anymore, it's mostly just scratchy and tired, plus I have a small cough. That breakout got significantly smaller yesterday, but I wanted to wait until today to make sure. It's actually not that bad?? Maybe I just think that because I've had so much worse, but it's just a raised bump now. It's not nearly as dark as I thought it would be. I hope I can start derma rolling soon to completely erase any sign of every breakout I've ever had.

MemberMember
(@desperatevegan)

Posted : 11/01/2017 2:33 pm

Finally... picture update!! I took these right after washing, moisturizing and applying sunscreen. 

I can't believe how clear my forehead looks. Like, half of it is entirely one color??? I can actually see my skin tone?? I used to get the worst cystic clusters on my forehead. It was always bright red/blue/purple. Not anymore!! Even though I had that really bad breakout on my left side while I was sick, it's actually healing incredibly well. Still visible, but I can't believe it's not huge bright red/blue. It's getting smaller and smaller everyday. I've got another week or so until I can start derma rolling. Hopefully it helps with the redness, and also my unfortunate enlarged pores. I still can't believe how well I'm healing up on my own though. I'm so freaking excited. I can't believe where I'm at right now. Spironolactone has been an absolute miracle for me. 

I think I'll keep updating this thread until I'm completely clear, and my skin tone is even. If anyone reads this in the future, I want to prove that not only can you get clear from severe cystic acne, but that your skin CAN be healthy again. It CAN be thick, and firm, and your pores and skin tone CAN look healthy and young again. I'm doing the best I can to heal up and I'm more excited than ever to take care of my skin. I'm still keeping up with my same skincare routine by the way. The only thing I'll be adding soon is derma rolling, and maybe a vitamin c serum to promote collagen production. I'll let you guys know. 

IMG_5281.JPG

IMG_5282.JPG

MemberMember
(@juwalker)

Posted : 11/01/2017 6:34 pm

Brilliant news. Interested to hear about the derma rolling etc.

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 11/01/2017 7:21 pm

I wpuldnt dermaroll if i was you,to start off with it will do nothing for enlarged or scarred pores.if you are healing,which is what your going through right niw,i wouldnt dermaroll as its damaging what is healing!

as long as you got this red going on,your skin is repairing itself if its post pigmentation which it is.

Keep your skin moisturised with something thats kind to your skin,that will keep your skin both healthy and on the healing track dont let your skin totaly dry out and also try to stay out of direct sunlight and daylight.walk on the shady side of the road,put a hoody on and pop it up,keep the sun behind you and close half your windows curtain when inside to cut down on uv light,wear sunblock if you think it will help.
:)

MemberMember
(@juwalker)

Posted : 11/01/2017 9:56 pm

I did not know what derma rolling was? Just looked up on internet. Does sound quite severe especially when u r healing. Best check when it is safe. All the best

MemberMember
(@desperatevegan)

Posted : 11/05/2017 7:01 am

On 11/1/2017 at 7:21 PM, Quadboy said:

I wpuldnt dermaroll if i was you,to start off with it will do nothing for enlarged or scarred pores.if you are healing,which is what your going through right niw,i wouldnt dermaroll as its damaging what is healing!

as long as you got this red going on,your skin is repairing itself if its post pigmentation which it is.

Keep your skin moisturised with something thats kind to your skin,that will keep your skin both healthy and on the healing track dont let your skin totaly dry out and also try to stay out of direct sunlight and daylight.walk on the shady side of the road,put a hoody on and pop it up,keep the sun behind you and close half your windows curtain when inside to cut down on uv light,wear sunblock if you think it will help.
:)

Thanks for the suggestions. I've read enough about derma rolling though and it's great for post acne redness/scarring. Many of the spots I have now are very very old, I'm not planning on derma rolling open sores on my face lol. I'm going to give it a try and if I don't like it I'll just go back to my current routine. And I wear sunscreen everyday. 

MemberMember
(@desperatevegan)

Posted : 12/04/2017 6:40 pm

Hey everyone! 

I'm back. I don't know if I'll be coming here anymore, because I've been clear for what feels like a very long time now. My skin has been healing so well on its own. I wasn't able to find a derma roller that I liked, so I haven't tried it and I don't think I will anytime soon. Maybe sometime in the future though. My skincare routine hasn't changed a ton. I still use the same products, but I found a specific order (and time) that has been working so good for me. Having such problematic skin, I was always really nervous about skincare routines that have more than like three steps, but since getting clear my five step skincare routine has worked great. I still use the clay mask, and sheet masks though so sometimes it's more steps and sometimes it's less, and in the morning I always wear cerave sunscreen. This is mostly just my night routine. In the morning I try to stick to cleansing, toning, moisturizer and sunscreen. My skin is still pretty red in some spots, but I'm healing so well and by this time next year I'll probably look like I've never had acne in my life!! 

I'm just so happy to be where I am right now. I can't believe how spiro has changed my life. I'm going to be getting my first job in the near future and I'm ready to get out into the world and be my old happy, social self again. Thanks everyone who read through this whole experience. If you're considering spiro I'd definitely give it a try. It's been such a miracle for me and so many other people and I'm so happy it's being talked about more and more. 

IMG_5769.JPG

IMG_5770.JPG

IMG_5775.JPG

MemberMember
(@juwalker)

Posted : 12/06/2017 5:13 pm

Fantastic news! So happy for you. Thanks so much for sharing your journey and knowledge. Do come back to let us know how you are getting on at some time in future. There are far less people on Spiro and your experience will help others. You've certainly taught me a thing or two. All the very best for the future Desperate Vegan.

MemberMember
(@weidwoman)

Posted : 12/13/2017 2:46 pm

Hi DesperateVegan, just wondering how your skin has been with the Spiro? I came across your posts because Ive been searching for answers. Im also on Spiro; about 7 weeks now and am not seeing results yet. I just bumped up to 100 mg. Thanks for sharing your journey! It means more then you know! Those of us who suffer need to know were not alone in this battle against acne. Thanks again.

MemberMember
(@desperatevegan)

Posted : 01/18/2018 11:32 am

On 12/13/2017 at 1:46 PM, weid(wo)man said:

Hi DesperateVegan, just wondering how your skin has been with the Spiro? I came across your posts because Ive been searching for answers. I™m also on Spiro; about 7 weeks now and am not seeing results yet. I just bumped up to 100 mg. Thanks for sharing your journey! It means more then you know! Those of us who suffer need to know we™re not alone in this battle against acne. Thanks again. 

Hello!! I'm so sorry I took so long to respond. It's incredibly hard to stay motivated on spiro. It took a good few months of being on it before I was sure it was doing something, and only recently have I been staying 100% clear. Seven weeks is nothing on this medication. I'd say give it seven months at least, and even then there may be ups and downs. Part of the reason it's hard to stay motivated too is because you'll still have scarring. In my case it was pretty severe and my skin is only now starting to really balance out. Good luck. I'm so happy I stayed with it. It'll be frustrating but as someone who struggled with severe breakouts for years, spiro is the only thing that has really worked for me and I'm so thankful I didn't give up on it. Now I can take pictures of myself without makeup on and it feels like such a miracle. I hope it works well for you. 

IMG_6263.JPG

MemberMember
(@juwalker)

Posted : 01/18/2018 6:33 pm

Beautiful! Go girl!!

MemberMember
(@fiksi)

Posted : 01/18/2018 7:41 pm

This also seems to me like a dangerous drug... but probably less than accutane.

You girls have more options than us, if I understand correctly, this would mean chemical castration for us as it shuts testosterone.

MemberMember
(@desperatevegan)

Posted : 01/18/2018 8:40 pm

57 minutes ago, fiksi said:

This also seems to me like a dangerous drug... but probably less than accutane.

You girls have more options than us, if I understand correctly, this would mean chemical castration for us as it shuts testosterone.

Like any medication, there are side effects. Even ibuprofen can have dangerous side effects. It is definitely a lot safer to use than accutane. I think one of the more negative side effects I've personally read about while reading other people's experiences is hair loss, which I haven't experienced any of it on my head, only on my legs lol.

MemberMember
(@fiksi)

Posted : 01/19/2018 5:30 am

8 hours ago, DesperateVegan said:
Like any medication, there are side effects. Even ibuprofen can have dangerous side effects. It is definitely a lot safer to use than accutane. I think one of the more negative side effects I've personally read about while reading other people's experiences is hair loss, which I haven't experienced any of it on my head, only on my legs lol.

If acne is bad, you don't have many choices- you try to chose least dangerous one. Probably accutane is by far the worst. Spiro I think is used for many things, even heart failure...

You try and see what works for you, there is no other way. Hope it gives long term results for you.