Notifications
Clear all

What should I expect

MemberMember
(@aeaemixter)

Posted : 08/03/2017 6:40 am

First the backstory. My daughter started developing mild acne around 3 years ago at the age of 12. After a lot of trial and error we found PanOxyl 10% foaming acne washalong with clean and clear benzoyl peroxide 10% cream. She's used this twice a day and it kept her acne manageable for around a year and a half. She decided she wanted to go to the dermatologist about 9 months ago since she thought somethingprescription might make it go away completely sinceit was pretty mild. Her derm prescribed her epiduo once aday. The first month was great, nevercompletely cleared but a little better than normal. She always breaks out a little worse around her period and that was stillhappening but pretty clear the other few weeks of the month. The 2nd month it got a little worse ( looked worse than before she started epiduo) and then the 3rd month she had the worst acne flare she has ever had. We called the derm who prescribed her minocycline 50mg once a day. She took this for about 2 months with no improvement and she still had the worst acne she ever experienced and it was now moving to her chest and back. At this time she had another follow up and the derm uped the minocycline to 100mg once a day. For the first month we saw little improvement but it was gradually getting better. She is now ending the 3 month cycle of the higher dose and her acne is almost completely clear. She looks wonderful. She goes back to the derm on Aug 10 and that is also the last dose she has of the minocycline. I have a feeling the derm will discontinue the minocycline since the last time she was is she mentioned getting her off of it.

If her doctor does take her off the minocycline what should we expect to happen. Is it likely she will break out bad again?If so will that happen immediately? Should we continue with just the epiduo since it didn't seem to work week alone before? I wonder if we should just go back to the PanOxyl? Any other medicines recommended?

MemberMember
(@mom2boys)

Posted : 08/18/2017 1:52 pm

I feel your daughters pain. Minocycline is a temporary solution and the acne will most likely return. See if you can find a long term solution that works best. She is lucky to have you as a caring mom. I broke out when I was 12 years old and my mother didn't even bother to seek help for my suffering skin and worst of all my self esteem. I still have the physical scars on my face, but it's the scars you can't see that hurt the most. Good luck