Notifications
Clear all

Accutane - Very Mild But Persistent Acne - PLEASE Read!!!

MemberMember
(@tommograham1980)

Posted : 03/19/2017 7:45 am

Joined to follow your thread. Your looking good m8 and I wish you all the best on your journey.

Tom

MemberMember
(@benroberto)

Posted : 03/19/2017 1:22 pm

5 hours ago, Tommo1980 said:

Joined to follow your thread. Your looking good m8 and I wish you all the best on your journey.

Tom

Thanks man really appreciate it! :) hate posting these pictures of my skin but I know no one on here will judge them so up close haha so I don't mind. Day 14 - it has now officially been TWO weeks on accutane, I cannot believe how fast it is going it's crazy, anyway on with what I want to talk about! 

Side effects - my lips are still dry but have become a bit more moist now, they still peel regularly I think I've just become use to the dry lips at this point. My skin is peeling on my cheeks and a little on my forehead, skin is still slightly oily but no where near as bad as it was, it seems like it's drying out more every day, I now have a rash on my neck which is spreading... one thing I notice on accutane is if you don't stay on top of the side effects your faced with they will become out of control really fast (I didn't mosturise the area of the rash and it has spread).

Skin - my skin just looks the same if I'm honest, I still have loads of comedones and 1-2 popped pustules and I squeezed some blackheads by my nose and my skin has gotten really sore and raw I think I cut myself while popping?!?! How weird is that! I'm very red but I've been flushing just now so I think that's why?!

There are loads and loads of tiny black dots surfacing on my nose and they are making the texture very rough, I'm not sure what they are if there blackheads or what it's very strange to me. No budge on the comedones hoping they will purge or dissapear at some point! Attaching pictures of my skin now in dim daylight. 

Will update again soon!

IMG_3263.JPG

IMG_3264.JPG

IMG_3265.JPG

IMG_3266.JPG

IMG_3267.JPG

IMG_3268.JPG

MemberMember
(@benroberto)

Posted : 03/20/2017 9:13 am

Day 15 - I am seriously itchy today it's horrible, I am breaking out a lot more now but the dryness is crazy I just can't believe how dry my skin is and how many little black dots are over my nose it is so gross?!?! I'm hoping they will dissapear soon! This lighting is very harsh but look at the dots on my nose and the dryness it's crazy! 

IMG_3271.JPG

IMG_3272.JPG

IMG_3273.JPG

MemberMember
(@mjk99)

Posted : 03/22/2017 3:52 am

Use duac it gets rid off blackheads

MemberMember
(@mrsg)

Posted : 03/22/2017 5:14 am

My son has just finished a low dose course of roaccutane in uk-it has worked wonders -fingers crossed acne doesn't come back!!he used la roche posay effaclar h-moisturiser-really helps with flakes but it's very gentle-main side effect for him was chapped lips-try Aquaphor or blistex intensive-what also really seemed to help with dryness and also the redness of his acne was omega 3 oil(capsules) good luck with your treatment-look after yourself as it is quite severe but hopefully you get the results you want -you look great btw

MemberMember
(@benroberto)

Posted : 03/22/2017 6:09 am

2 hours ago, mjk99 said:

Use duac it gets rid off blackheads

lmao I tried duac years ago incase you noticed I'm on accutane I think I'm past duac lol

55 minutes ago, mrsg said:

My son has just finished a low dose course of roaccutane in uk-it has worked wonders -fingers crossed acne doesn't come back!!he used la roche posay effaclar h-moisturiser-really helps with flakes but it's very gentle-main side effect for him was chapped lips-try Aquaphor or blistex intensive-what also really seemed to help with dryness and also the redness of his acne was omega 3 oil(capsules) good luck with your treatment-look after yourself as it is quite severe but hopefully you get the results you want -you look great btw

Thank you very much for your input, Im glad your son's course went well thats so great! I really hope it doesn't come back for him either. Yeah the drug is really tough I've just taken my 17th dose and I will say it is a struggle Im very dehydrated all the time and just feel constantly hungover its not nice - no improvement in skin as of yet but I'm going to wait until month 2 as people say results are seen then? who knows!

Day 17- Side effects are beginning to really bug me now, the anxiety is quite intense from the severe dehydration, Im waking up in the night a lot gasping for water as my throat is too dry, my nose is very sore and dry also, skin is quite dry but nothing I can't handle. Neck is constantly itchy and have a small rash behind both ears that is really irritating. Im worried what side effects will be like when I'm upped dosage as currently only on 35mg once daily but we will see!

Skin - I have a really sore pimple on my hairline thats got no head and it is so freaking sore I can't deal with it lmao hopefully it's going to go down soon, I also tried to pop a blackhead on my forehead and its been like 3 days and its still not healing? I think because my skin is so dry on accutane the recovery of the skin is SO MUCH LONGER so I'm trying to learn everyday not to pop as I also removed two blackheads near my nose which was successful but then the area was literally red raw and felt soooo sore to even move my face, so note to self I need to stop picking as Its been hurting a lot more then it usually would. I took a photo of my skin 10 days apart and the reduction in oil is insane, I feel like its a perfect balance between dry/oily now so thats good! As far as comedones go nothing is budging as of yet, still very bumpy and still have tons of blackheads and texture which is annoying but hoping to see some change soon!! will update on sunday at week 3 mark.

MemberMember
(@mjk99)

Posted : 03/22/2017 6:34 am

Sorry lol it was just I was on doxycycline and duac and it definitely helped with blackheads on nose that's it

MemberMember
(@benroberto)

Posted : 03/22/2017 7:41 am

1 hour ago, mjk99 said:

Sorry lol it was just I was on doxycycline and duac and it definitely helped with blackheads on nose that's it 

haha thank you for suggestion, sorry think my accutane is making me moody as well :P

mjk99 liked
MemberMember
(@mjk99)

Posted : 03/23/2017 5:42 pm

It's fine haha, I'm hoping to go on accutane soon

MemberMember
(@benroberto)

Posted : 03/28/2017 7:32 am

Day 23- Over three weeks on accutane now, I have my bloods for month 2 on friday and today is tuesday so I'm looking forward too it! Also have my dermatologist check-up appointment on april 6th so I'm glad everything in that aspect is coming together as well as month 1 coming to an end.

Side effects - lips are extremely dry and peel very frequently, my nose is extremely sore and constantly feels like its going to bleed it is so dry and very unpleasant. I've began to get red blotches/patches/dry skin on my face but primarily on my arms and chest where the skin feels very very dry so I'm applying some oilatum eczema cream to my body areas and loads of cetaphil rich moisturiser on my face in hoping that will help which it is slowly. I've been exhausted recently, I'm not sure if thats due to the sertraline or the accutane but I've decided to come off sertraline so I think I'm just getting withdrawals from that!

Skin - My skin is doing ok, I'm so relieved to tell you guys that the clogged pores/comedones by my mouth which have been there for about a year all became inflamed one by one in the past six days, after I popped them all the bumps have now dissapered - because my skin is so fragile on accutane while I was popping the remaining 1 that was left I did rip the skin near my mouth and its so raw at the moment and currently healing so I'm applying sudocrem to help that along, I notice that because my skin is so dry pimples are taking forever to heal which is super frustrating but atlast the annoying bumps will FINALLY be gone they looked so horrible.

The comedones on my forehead are kinda disappearing, I had a new reddish one today thats quite prominent but nothing too obvious or big, I haven't been applying any moisturiser to my forehead as it was sooooo congested before accutane so I am just letting the skin literally peel off and I hide my forehead with my hair anyway so it's not been bothering me too much, I wonder if applying moisturiser will help with the texture though? Going to speak to my dermatologist about this next week! Skin currently isn't looking too bad, will be interesting to see now if comedones reappear near my mouth as thats always what it has done whenever I have popped a pimple there... praying non come back!!! fingers crossed.

The black dots on my nose are still very prominent I believe accutane is just pushing out all the crap in my pores so hopefully it will disappear soon as I'm entering month 2. Cheeks are very dry and funnily I never get pimples there but a few small ones have been popping up, either that or dry kinda spot looking ringworm rash? I'm not too sure

I will update in around a week or after my dermatologist appointment on the 6th!

MemberMember
(@benroberto)

Posted : 03/29/2017 3:42 am

Could someone who's reading suggest a mosturiser for my kind of acne? Cetaphil is so heavy and I'm for sure thinking it's clogging up more comedones.. I need something light weight, oil free that will do the job!!!

MemberMember
(@shmilym)

Posted : 03/29/2017 6:37 am

Two of these will do the job well
[Removed link]

https://www.amazon.com/Dermalogica-Smart-Antioxidant-Hydramist-Ounce/dp/B000YC718S/

and another one called Avene Thermal Water Spray

They will help reduce reddish and control oil. a bit pricey but value for money.

P.S recommend against moisturer because we are acne-prone skin. Serum does better.

MemberMember
(@benroberto)

Posted : 03/29/2017 8:42 am

On 3/29/2017 at 5:37 PM, shmilyM said:

Two of these will do the job well
[Removed link]

https://www.amazon.com/Dermalogica-Smart-Antioxidant-Hydramist-Ounce/dp/B000YC718S/

and another one called Avene Thermal Water Spray

They will help reduce reddish and control oil. a bit pricey but value for money.

P.S recommend against moisturer because we are acne-prone skin. Serum does better.

Hey thanks for the suggestions, I think I might chat to my derm about it on the 6th with my appointment as my skincare at the moment is awful, I'm switching and changing products daily and have no set routine, my skin is super dry now being 3 and a half weeks into accutane so I'm going to have to change my cetaphil oily skin cleanser too as my skin is just so extremely dry.

Ill let let you know how I get on

MemberMember
(@nathan_np)

Posted : 03/30/2017 3:31 am

Omg some people have completely upside down beliefs, I'm not referring to any one individual but some of the things that I've read from people on this thread are making my head spin like the exorcist.. Due to absolute disbelief for what people think. But I shouldn't judge because the majority of such beliefs come from either people who don't understand and unknowingly pass on incorrect information, incorrect assumptions and mainstream acne brands that are just trying to offload their products.

Ben, I don't know where to start...

First, good on you for taking that step. I like it when people are proactive rather than reactive. I see a lot of me in you.. And I mean A LOT! I spent so many hundreds of ours scouring the internet to find answers but the majority of what I read was either limited or hearsay. I tried everything you have listed, including 3 full 6 month courses of isotretinoin... Why? Because I was misinformed, ill advised and naive. What was my problem? Seborrhoea induced mild acne, follicular congestion, over active sebaceous glands, whatever you want to call it. My skin was a pizza box, day and night. I constantly had hundreds of congested pores. Of course I picked, completely rooted my skin due to all the scarring, only to have pores fill up again the very next day.. It was that quick.

I have so much advice for your but I feel that it may fall on deaf ears.. I guess I have to try though. Your skin is actually fantastic and you're taking the wrong steps to control the sebum, which will, in turn, control your acne. I'll state that I am not a consultant dermatologist, but I am a registered nurse with post grads in biomedical science, paramedicine, and a very keen interest in skin, particularly seborrhoea. All through my studies, which still continue, I have kept a keen eye out for information that might help me find the key to my own skin issues.

I'll be clear.You have a 10% chance that isotretinoin will have a permanent effect on your face once you come off the drug!I don't like saying this, as I don't want to discourage you, but I am passionate about this. I anticipate that your oily skin will be back within a month of completing your course, and although it won't have changed from what it was prior, you'll actually see anapparentincrease because one of the effects of isotretinoin is reducing the viscosity of the sebum. Maybe a few less comedones but gosh, sometimes I would just let my skin clog upstrategically just so I could have 2-3 days of deceivingly clear, dry(ish) skin, knowing full well of the massive breakout to come. I know the feeling mate! Why do you see these 300kg obese Americans, drinking 6L of coke a day, etc, etc, with perfectly clear skin and there I was eating relatively healthy (what I thought was relatively healthy) and I still has a deep fryer for a face. My friend, you're looking at it all wrong!

I'll let you run the full course of isotretinoin and you can get in touch with me if you're in the 90% figure from above (your oil returning like a flood). But for now, you need to heed some advice that you've already overlooked!

First, shout out to Rachie39, use the jojoba oil as a moisturiser.Oil is not bad, moisturiser is not bad, just use the right ones!You are better off to keep your skin nourished or you may face permanent issues with dermatitis in the future. You're blocked pores will actually clearquickerif you keep moisture up to your skin, and the best thing for your is a good oil, oil combination or oil based moisturiser. Again, don't lump everything in the same boat, not all oils are equivalent, not all oil based moisturisers are acne friendly. You have to be very particular, but you also have to wake up and smell the rosemary because that's a good oil too! Hell, you can rub a good cold pressed virgin olive oil on your skin and get a much better result than what you're using. Add a little peppermint oil to some jojoba to use on your lips if you don't like the taste or smell of the straight jojoba. And don't skimp buying the cheapest around.. Go for something organic, glass bottle, etc, etc.

Second, stop squeezing and stop immediately. You're well aware of how fragile your skin is and it's only going to get worse. If you want permanent scarring after you finish then, by all means, squeeze that whitehead out rather than waiting 5 days for it to eject naturally. I recently answered a question of how to get rid of acne scarring... The factis that, as much as you can improve it, scar tissue willneverbe the same as the original skin. And don't ruin your lovely complexion because you were impatient.

Third, isotretinoin isn't some miracle drug, you can't just eat shit and expect it to fix everything. You need to maintain good nutrition and hydration now more than ever (an not because isotretinoin is making you lose water, it's not), but because of the nasty effects of the drug. I'll explain further so you don't think I'm just another isotretinoin basher,because i'm not. I think it's a very powerful drug, that has its place, but what you have isn't it. All acne can't be lumped into the same boat, what's good for one isn't necessarily good for all. But you have general principles to follow. Isotretinoin is for severe recalcitrant, unresponsive nodular acne, not what you have. Not because what you have istoo mild, but just because it's the wrong drug! Why do you think we have hundreds of different antibiotics (in general, not for acne)? It's not so Dr Joe Blow can use his favourite go to, or so he can get a kickback from the pharmaceutical giant that patents it... It's because each has a different mechanism of action (generally speaking). You don't give penicillin for MRSA because it just wont work!

So to the explanation.. So you're currently having blood tests, right? Do you understand why? Primarily to test your liver function. Why is that important, in laymen terms, it gives your liver an absolute hiding! Why is this of concern? Because the liver is the primary location for the metabolism of toxins (read: nasty drugs), but toxins also exist in your everyday food, you may have heard of one...Fructose! Fructose is regarded a toxin by those who have studied it in depth, and the science backs it up. So now if you're on isotretinoin and start loading up your liver with fructose then you're going to load up your liver, increase the proportion of citrate and free fatty acids, etc. Raising your circulating triglycerides, etc, etc, etc. Theres much more to it and a lot more happens, but you are essentially poisoning your body.Point: Eat healthy! Avoid processed fructose now more than ever!I know other sugars aren't fantastic in large amounts but don't forget that glucose is the essence of life! Whether you eat it or make it, your body needs it. Regarding the fact that you were actually prescribed it in the first place. I think it was prescribed purely for your mental health. You went in there, told them your story, and although they wouldn't normally have prescribed it in your case, they didn't want to destroy your hope without first giving it a try.

So I don't know if I've actually covered everything that I identified in your posts. Yes I read the whole thread, every word, before replying. If I missed something I'm sure I'll pick it up later. I'm sure someone will have a problem with what I've said but it's all true. I may be harsh at times, maybe even a little condescending, and I'm sorry for that, but people need to wake up. Not everyone's solution is in a bottle!

In saying that, I must briefly raise some concern regarding your sertraline. Have you ceased it yet? If so, what dosage were you on? Just remember that if you were on any more than 50mg then you really should wean yourself off. Ideally right down to 25mg then off completely. How long were you on it for? Have you been fatigued?

I'm not an enemy, I'm genuinely here to try to help.

19 hours ago, benroberto said:
Hey thanks for the suggestions, I think I might chat to my derm about it on the 6th with my appointment as my skincare at the moment is awful, I'm switching and changing products daily and have no set routine, my skin is super dry now being 3 and a half weeks into accutane so I'm going to have to change my cetaphil oily skin cleanser too as my skin is just so extremely dry.

Ill let let you know how I get on

I think you'll find that your cetaphil oily skin cleanser actually contains castor oil, which is what makes it so good at what it does. You should be fine staying on it, your skin will be super dry as it is, don't blame the cleanser. Ideally you should use an organic oil based cleansing cream (more focus on injecting moisture). Take a look at some of my other posts for a little bit of guidance between good oils and bad oils. Good oils are your biggest friend. On your skin, in your diet.. Every cell membrane in your body is made from... Lipids! Respect them, use them, cherish them! They moisturise, protect, strengthen, and are the basis to your answer..

MemberMember
(@benroberto)

Posted : 03/30/2017 4:54 am

@Nathan_NP- First of all thank you for the constructive response, as you did mention you are not a dermatologist and mine is one I worked closely with in regards to my medication choice. As stated I have tried absolutely everything, I'm not messing around with different skincare options, changing my diet exercising and all that crap because its already been done.

I excersize 4 times a week high intense cardio workout, I like to sweat and I know its good for my skin and my body. I eat only fresh foods, meats and dairy to gain weight (I cut dairy out and it did f**k all FYI), my acne is not diet related, for sure if I eat absolute shit for days on end I'm going to break out because if your eating crappy fried foods it will happen if you are genetically prone to acne.

I feel your post has been somewhat constructive but mostly negative, I have been struggling psychologically with acne and now you are siphoning doubt into my mind. My consultant dermatologist wouldNOTprescribe me a cancer treating drug that compromises my immune system and the functioning of my liver just because I was psychologically drained from the acne. That would've certainly been a factor as my acne isn't as severe as others but he would not prescribe me a medication that didn't have a big shot at working just to make me feel somewhat better.

You've taken accutane and it clearly hasn't worked for you which is why your still here, but you don't need to put doubt in others minds just because you are still stuck in the same place. My dermatologist is a qualified skin specialist and knows what is right for me and my journey and I don't need strangers online telling me how the outcome of the drug will be for me personally this log was to give insight to others with my kind of acne as I haven't seen a lot of logs about comedonal acne and accutane.

So thanks for the advice but I'm going to listen to my qualified dermatologist and not someone who reads information of the internet like a big chunk of the stupid users on here that want to diagnose everyone and not listen to there dermatologists hence why they still have acne.

mjk99 liked
MemberMember
(@nathan_np)

Posted : 03/30/2017 5:49 am

And there it goes.. I'll quote myself for you sunshine.

2 hours ago, Nathan_NP said:

I have so much advice for your but I feel that it may fall on deaf ears.. I guess I have to try though. 

Annnnnd, I was correct. 

Where in that post did I mention that I still have acne? That is the assumption that proves you the fool! I don't have acne at all. If I don't have time to wash my face it the morning, guess how my skin is at the end of the day? Perfectly clear! I'm here to try to help people that suffer like I did when the answers are just so simple. They just have to drop the stigma, myth and conventional belief surrounding acne and how to treat it. I don't get my information from the internet. No health professional does (well, shouldn't). But you obviously do. I'll quote myself again.

2 hours ago, Nathan_NP said:

I shouldn't judge because the majority of such beliefs come from either people who don't understand and unknowingly pass on incorrect information, incorrect assumptions and mainstream acne brands that are just trying to offload their products.

You took the pat on the back but completely ignored everything else. You're one of the small minded people who have this belief that doctors are the all knowing and all they speak is gospel. Well I should point out that, here in Australia, if a doctor orders a medication and I (as the managing registered nurse) give that medication, even though I think it's the wrong choice, and the patient suffers adversely from it. Who do you think get's dragged through court? I'll give you a hint... It's not the doctor|

But for your sake I hope isotretinoin works for you, because I really hate to see people suffer, especially when it starts to effect their mental health. I also hope that you wake up to yourself! I never said that your answer is diet and exercise, I addressed your comment of, paraphrasing, 'stuff it, i'm going to eat what I want, now that I know i'm going to be cured because I have the all and powerful, dermatologist prescribed, acne medication of the century'. You started this thread on a negative tone. I was skeptical that you would listen to reason, but I tried anyway, and now I don't really care about your outcome. Gosh will you feel stupid if what I said comes to fruition.. Or will you be convinced that all you need is another course because your dermatologist, the oh so great and powerful and never wrong, recommends it... One thing  that I learnt very early on in my training is that the people who understand a condition the most is the people who suffer from it (within reason of course). You should never knock down someones advice based on experience. Second thing I learnt is western medicine isn't always the solution. It has a very important role and serves a great cause, hence why I participate. However people over-rely on it when the majority of people can cure themselves naturally. Third... Doctors are wrong a lot more often than you realise (and I think you really need to look at their training to understand why, or you can just remain naive). 

I know, with certainty, that you haven't tried what I was going to discuss with you after your course. Why? Firstly because of what you have said (i.e. you don't have the insight to think of it yourself). And secondly, because it isn't on the internet, it isn't simple, and like everything else human related, it's multifactorial.  You act like there is one solution. | That's funny! Stupid is what stupid does.

1 hour ago, benroberto said:
@Nathan_NP My consultant dermatologist would NOT prescribe me a cancer treating drug that compromises my immune system and the functioning of my liver just because I was psychologically drained from the acne. That would've certainly been a factor as my acne isn't as severe as others but he would not prescribe me a medication that didn't have a big shot at working just to make me feel somewhat better. 

Now was mentioning that it's a 'cancer treating drug' a ploy to support your argument? You know that all conventional cancer therapies poison/damage your body right? And that they work because they kill just enough that it doesn't kill the patient right? That some 'cancer treatments' are known to cause cancer but the cost vs. risk suggests that the doctor should do it anyway? I.e. if it kills their active aggressive cancer now and gives them a few more years before they get something else, that's worth it right... It's doesn't, at all, take into account quality of life. But you go on thinking that he prescribed it because you have a good relationship with him and he definitely thinks that isotretinoin is indicated for your acne, and that he didn't prescribe it because of what you said to him. Dream on bud! No medical text or journal lists seborrhoea as an indication for isotretinoin.. But you believe what you want. The first thing I did when I got access to my old university's library was search everything related to acne, seborrhoea and every other name that it's referenced by. Isotretinoin use is still heavily based on clinical trials from the 80's. How are you really so naive!

Lastly, I feel sorry for you. Not because you have skin issues, not because it effects you psychologically, not because you're on isotretinoin and not because you don't believe me. But because you have wonderful looking skin and you're still so desperate to find a fix that you would subject yourself to poison, unnecessarily, to get it. When the solution is really much simpler. If only everyone else's problems were as easy as yours, I could write a blog and help all of them. That's disappointing, but they'll live to fight another day. I feel for them because their acne isn't as easy to heal, but they still trust in others. Btw, judging from your photos, you don't know what oil is! And shave that fluff off your face, it looks ridiculous! 

P.S. Something to think about. Why have the rates of type 2 diabetes mellitus gone up over the last 40 years even with medical advancement? Same goes with all types of cardiovascular disease? Same goes with acne?

Why do we now speak of co-morbidities several times daily now when 50 years ago only epidemiologists would have been the only people that even knew what it meant?

Answer: ??? You think about that one.. See what google says. But it's not because they've been going to their doctor more.. 

I imagine John Snow felt something similar to this when hey was trying to convince parliament and current leading medical professionals that it was the cholera contaminated water supply that was killing people, and not miasma. 

MemberMember
(@nathan_np)

Posted : 03/30/2017 11:59 pm

You win dude.. I received just enough backlash from that post last night to make me rethink my position on this site. It's just left a bad taste in my mouth.

I'll leave it to everyone else and there respective medical treating teams to solve the communities skin problems. 53 mostly constructive posts in 4 days.. Pretty good effort right. What will I do with the time I'll save.

Continue with your journey and all the best.

Jazzguy liked
MemberMember
(@appiru)

Posted : 04/02/2017 10:53 am

Hello! Your skin is looking good, and I can see you're getting a little flakey, but I always considered that a good thing when I was on it! (Just got off it a week ago!)
Keep it up! Keep optimistic! Everyone has their own opinions on this site and unfortunately we do not all agree, but you should be careful to focus on your own comfort and whatever helps you in your journey. :)

MemberMember
(@benroberto)

Posted : 04/06/2017 5:07 am

Day 30 - ------ 1 MONTH ON ACCUTANE UPDATE ------- (I've just edited as I realise I had 35 - 20mg tablets and only have 3 left now which actually means I'm on DAY 32) - Sorry for confusion!

It has has now officially been one month since I started accutane, boy has it been crazy so far but I am so happy with my results already.

I have an appointment today with my dermatologist so I will be doing an update later regarding the meeting and what dosage I will pursue on. 

Side effects - My skin is officially EXTREMLY DRY, I'm getting eczema pretty much everywhere on my body now, it can be pretty painful at times. My throat is still super dry and I've been having really bad mood swings and think I may potentially end my relationship? Accutane has made me think completly differently. I'm not depressed at all but mood is definitley lower due to constant ache's and fatigue. Lips bleed everyday now even with blistex and I've had a nose bleed or two as well.

Skin - oh how I love not having oily skin, such a blessing seeing absolutely no shine at the end of the day. My skin is so dry it is peeling everywhere, not even rich cetaphil can help more! I believe month 1 is already a turning point for me, in the last week my comedones have reduced SIGNIFICANTLY.  I'm not breaking out at all in red pimples I'm just seeing comedones vanish which is AMAZING. I'm super confident accutane is going to work for me!!! 

To everyone one who says accutane
doesnt work for comedonal acne I'll let my picture speak for itself. I'll post a picture below, this is before starting accutane(first picture) and 30 days into my 35mg treatment daily. 

P.S the photo is actually a good photo it normally looked so much worse but I deleted everything as it made me very upset but I kept this one!!! 

Will update later on how my dermatologist appointment goes!

IMG_3434.PNG

IMG_3433.JPG

MemberMember
(@rachie39)

Posted : 04/06/2017 5:21 am

Wow, great results!

MemberMember
(@tommograham1980)

Posted : 04/06/2017 5:42 am

Glad you're still updating and that it's working for you m8.

You've done great getting through the first month.

Tom

MemberMember
(@benroberto)

Posted : 04/06/2017 10:32 am

Just as I thought - I've been bumped from 35mg to 70mg to shorten my course, I'm a bit worried though as accutane is making me flush daily but literally my whole face lights up red and the heat is unbearable then it will suddenly stop when I'm at home I just don't get it. Anyone else experienced or know of anyone who had awful flushing on accutane? I've been prescribed steroids also for the eczema, my dermatologist was hesitant upping the dose at first as he said my side effects are more then the average person but after we spoke he actually suggested bumping up so I'm happy. Today was day 32 I will probably update at day 40 unless anything changes drastically!

P.S Thanks for reading and the consistent support, its great!

MemberMember
(@benroberto)

Posted : 04/06/2017 12:30 pm

This drug is seriously difficult to be on though, it really is pushing me
to my limits. Makes my mood swing so much and I'm so angry and tired all the time - but I won't ever take this opportunity for granted as I'm so lucky to have been put on this drug and I will remain positive :)

shmilyM liked
MemberMember
(@benroberto)

Posted : 04/15/2017 3:14 am

Day 40*(Day 9 ~ 70mg)- Haven't updated in 10 days so thought I would share some new side effects and skin changes on 70mg. These past 9 days have been extremely hard on me, my side effects have worsened and my luck its the longest bank holiday of the whole year so I can't even turn to a doctor/dermatologist in wake of the side effects worsening even MORE.

Side Effects - Now, before accutane (I'm sure it was just after my treatment of doxycycline that I had to stop due to it causing such horrendous side effects and putting such a strain on my body) I would flush and it would be to a degree at times very uncomfortable, it wouldn't happen too often but it was just a nonsense. When I started accutane on 35mg the flushing was reoccurring and happened a fair amount to when it started to make me uncomfortable in my skin but I could still shake it off and continue treatment. Now on 70mg the flushing and heat is UNBEARABLE.I feel hot from the chest up to the point where my skin feels swollen, the heat is unbearable and normally comes in intervals, once the hot flush dies down my skin is looking great but I'm flushing a good 3-5 times a day, Maybe I'm more sensitive to heat on accutane I don't know but this side effect has been so difficult to deal with I've considered coming off accutane multiple times, but I remind myself it happened before accutane, the intensity is definitely the same of the hot flushes but on accutane it just occurs much more often.

On 70mg my lips and skin are much drier but I can deal with that, I've been prescribed some steroid cream from my dermatologist to help with the eczema and I've been applying oilatum eczema cream which has helped the infected areas tons. My mood seems to of gone down when the dosage was bumped up, I felt really frustrated with my side effects and its actually been making me feel depressed, its weird isn't it how I'm sad because of the side effects, its very strange.

Skin - My skin is good, it doesn't look much different from 10 days ago, a few spots are beginning to become inflamed which I'm happy about as before I could see them as big bumps under the skin and that was it? I'm glad there inflamed as I'm hoping this means it will go. Still have blackheads on day 40 which I think is weird as most folk say there blackheads are gone within month 1, who knows! My skin is peeling like crazy especially on my cheeks probably more then ever, and the redness oh the sweet REDNESS.Before accutane my skin was NEVER red, apart from when I became flushed and maybe I had a tint of red on my cheeks but now my cheeks are covered in a slight tint of redness that worsens when I flush.

Question- Can my flushing cause rosacea? It's been freaking me out recently to think I might cure acne and have a bigger issue after? I'm just super scared that one day I will flush then my skin will just remain that awful blotchy red, although I have read accutane can cure/help some patients rosacea so surely it can't contradict what it says it can do?! Would appreciate anyone reading/following my posts to have input if you have any feedback/idea as to if the redness and flushing will go after accutane, thank you!

6 weeks down tomorrow // Day 41 It's going incredibly fast!

MemberMember
(@shmilym)

Posted : 04/15/2017 7:03 am

I have no idea about the redness and flushing. Bumped. Hope someone read this can provide him with helpful info. Keep going man