Notifications
Clear all

Does AHA make Retinols / Tretinoin less effective?

MemberMember
(@melmmg)

Posted : 11/24/2016 9:26 pm

So I read somewhere that since an AHA is an acid and Tretinoin doesn't work with acids. I use Aczone (dapsone) gel and I use Ziana ( clindamycine + tretinoin) gel at night. And I want to use a BHA and a 8% AHA from Paula's Choice but I'm scared to use the AHA because I think Ziana gel (the one with tretinoin in it) helps my acne some bit. I mainly have pustules also, supposably BHA are best for those with oily skin which is my problem and I am getting some breakouts so new acne scars and hyperpigmentation so I want to use an AHA for those problems and I've seen reviews that actually AHA helped clear up people's acne too. So I was wondering if anybody who uses a AHA and also a Retinol / Tretinoin acne treatment at the same time and if it interferes with their regime?

If thats a myth, then how do you guys alternate with AHA and BHA leave on treatments aside from your acne treatment topicals?
BTW I use 2 topicals so any suggestions in the order of applying the AHA and BHA after (cleansing, moisturizing , apply topicals, then exfoliants, then sunscreen) ?  Also alot of people use the AHA at night but thats when I use Ziana (tretinoin + clindamycin) gel what would I do first ? Ugh, I need help  I'm new with the whole chemical exfoliants 

I would appreciate it !

MemberMember
(@vulneraryrain)

Posted : 11/26/2016 4:17 am

Hi, what usually people on tretinoin or retin a do is wait a few months I dont know how many months youve been doing it for, but derms usually reccomend alternating the days and use AHA maybe about 2 times a week.
As for the steps on applying you cleanse, then put AHA because its a acid and you wouldnt want it to nullify by putting something under it. There are aha that have moisturizer so you wouldnt have to put moisturizer.
As for bha you cleanse apply liquid bha let it dry then put moisturizer and sunscreen. Remember aha lower your sensitivity to sun so always wear suncreen hope this helps

Do not use bha or aha with tretinoin at the same time use tretinoin at night and bha in morning. You can slowly introduce Aha by alternating the days but slowly.

Melmmg liked