Notifications
Clear all

I want to go on accutane but I can't swallow pills!!

MemberMember
(@isabellaaaap)

Posted : 10/20/2016 8:16 pm

So basically I have a very annoying problem, no matter what tip/trick I seem to try I can't swallow pills. My throat closes up not allowing the pill to be swallowed and sometimes I start gagging. I was on doxycycline for about 3-4 months and I had to crush up the pill (I know not the best idea) but I eventually had to stop because it got very frustrating doing this!! I started getting acne in 4th grade and it got worse as time went on (I'm currently a senior in high school). I've been using retina a for 7 months and no improvement so I want to go on accutane so badly because I just can't deal with having acne anymore. I want to learn how to swallow pills before going on it but I don't know how, I feel like I've tried everything!!! Anyone have any advice?? Anything could help!!

MemberMember
(@never-losing-hope)

Posted : 10/20/2016 8:43 pm

Practice with M&Ms!  One trick is to NOT throw your head back.  Keep your neck straight.  Throwing your head back closes your throat a little. Maybe try acne.org regimen before trying Accutane.  It works :)  Good luck.

MemberMember
(@isabellaaaap)

Posted : 10/21/2016 2:39 pm

17 hours ago, Never Losing Hope said:

Practice with M&Ms!  One trick is to NOT throw your head back.  Keep your neck straight.  Throwing your head back closes your throat a little. Maybe try acne.org regimen before trying Accutane.  It works :)  Good luck.

I've tried the M&M's and they didn't help but I haven't tried the neck thing, thanks!! Also I'll keep that in mind but I really want to go on accutane! 

MemberMember
(@hcolumbia)

Posted : 11/01/2016 8:28 pm

I used to be bad with any and all pills but you just get used to it. When I started doxy I would first chew up a saltine cracker or some cereal until it was really mushy, then I would pop the pill in and try to swallow it with the food. Sort of like tricking a dog, ha. I got used to pills after a while and I just take them with water now, and sometimes I can swallow them dry. Remember that crushing up pills can be very dangerous, when I was on doxy I was specifically warned not to crush it because the medicine is in a time release capsule. Some meds can damage your throat if you crush or chew them.