Notifications
Clear all

Does Doxycycline cause purging?

MemberMember
(@elizabethsara14)

Posted : 08/20/2016 1:18 pm

Any advice would be appreciated! I was prescribed Tretinoin Cream 01.% and Doxycycline 100mg 9 weeks ago. I never got the Doxy cause the reviews about throwing up scared me so Ive just been using the Tretinoin. My skin cleared up on the Tretinoin after 2 weeks with just small breakouts... until 6 weeks. Since, I believe Ive been purging. In a few days Im moving to college and Ill have a roommate so Im super embarrassed. I think the purging is almost over but I know Tretinoin doesnt usually clear up acne 100%. Im wondering if I take Doxy to help clear up the rest so Im not embarrassed, will I go through purging for that as well even though Ive been purging on Tretinoin? My acne is only considered mild to moderate (at my worst) and I don't have cysts, but to me, its horrible.

Also, if you were ever on retinol a or Tretinoin, how long did your purging last? And is it normal to clear up most of the way then start purging at 6 weeks? Thank you!

MemberMember
(@gms08)

Posted : 08/21/2016 1:48 am

No, antibiotics will not cause purging. In fact it could have helped to prevent purging while the Tretinoin was doing its thing.

Only thing to watch out for on Doxy is the sun sensitivity, you will burn easier than you normally would depending on your skin type and Make sure to eat and take a probiotic to prevent any stomach upsets.