Notifications
Clear all

Can someone tell I'm on Accutane by looking at my blood test result?

MemberMember
(@umarisa)

Posted : 07/08/2016 2:39 pm

I'm about to get blood tested to join the military. They want to see if i am healthy. My recruiter told me to not mention accutane because they will think I have some serious skin defect. I just have minor acne, was on accutane for a month, two months ago. I am not going to mention I'm taking accutane, do you think they will be able to tell I was on accutane 2 months ago by looking at my blood result? How does one's blood test look like when they are on accutane? Does it look different than people who is not on accutane's blood result?
Thank you so much!

MemberMember
(@savo0057)

Posted : 07/09/2016 10:20 pm

Your ALKALINE PHOSPHATASE (ALP) results will be elevated, therefore above the normal range. Everything else is normally fine, well it has been for my self. But, things can differ from person to person. But, if you are overall healthy in life it should only be your ALP that's elevated in your blood test.

Idk why you wouldn't inform them you are on accutane, it's not like you are taking a drug to help a heart condition or something that could halt your performance in the army.
If they don't know you are taking accutane, that means they can assume many other reasons for you having high ALP. And this could possibly harm you.

some thing you could read here

"Total alkaline phosphatase test: This test measures the total activity of alkaline phosphatase, which is an enzyme found in the bones, liver, and intestine, and in the placenta of pregnant women. Total activity of alkaline phosphates increases during bone growth, liver disease, and pregnancy. However, the presence of abnormal levels of total alkaline phosphatase in your blood can be caused by many different things, some related to your health and some not. Normally children and adolescents have high levels during growth spurts.

This test is usually ordered to diagnose and monitor bone or liver conditions. Abnormal findings in the total alkaline phosphatase levels are usually followed up by another test called alkaline phosphatase isoenzyme. This follow-up test helps distinguish between the different forms (isoenzymes) of ALP produced by different types of tissues in the body. "

More information, this is what they might beleive if you don't tell them what you are taking.

What conditions and medications may be associated with these test results?

Health conditions and medications associated with hightotal alkaline phosphatase levels: There can be many possible causes and effects of an abnormal lab result. The following are some known health conditions and medications associated with high total alkaline phosphatase levels.

Health conditions and medications are indicated as possible causes (c) or effects (e) of a high test result where appropriate evidence exists.

Health conditions and medications associated with a high result:

Health conditions

• Bile obstruction (c)
  • Cirrhosis (c)
  • Liver cancer (c)
  • Bone cancer (c)
  • Paget's disease (c)
  • Healing bone fracture (c)
  • Hypothyroidism (c)
  • Hyperparathyriodism (c)
  • Rheumatoid arthritis (c)
  • Heart attack (c)
  • Rickets (c)
  • Vitamin D deficiency (c)
  • Liver disease (c)
  • Liver damage (c)
  • Gallstones (c)
  • Hepatitis (c)
  • Osteoporosis (c)
  • Pregnancy (c)
  • Growth spurts (c)
  • Sarcoidosis (c)
  • Intestinal blockage or motility problems (c)
  • Alcoholism (c)
  • Mononucleosis (c)
  • Kidney transplant rejection (c)
  • Sickle cell disease (c)

Medications (including supplements and foods)

• Antibiotics (c)
  • Azathioprine (c)
  • Colchicine (c)
  • Tetracycline (c)
  • Probenecid (c)
  • Fluorides (c)
  • Echinacea (c)
  • Acetaminophen (c)