Notifications
Clear all

prednisolone whilst on accutane

MemberMember
(@crapskin)

Posted : 05/02/2016 9:03 am

Just emailed my derm a few pictures of my face thats taken a turn for the worst i'm on week 11 and since week 10 my face has taken a massive turn for the worst!! So i emailed and she recommended me to go pick upprednisolone from my chemist.

I've done a research on the matter and i come across common side effects one being acne. How can i be prescribed something to counter after my acne when it can cause it lol!

MemberMember
(@wittysock)

Posted : 05/02/2016 3:08 pm

The possible side effects of my asthma inhaler include shortness of breath and bronchial spasm. Taking my asthma meds could in theory cause me to have an asthma attack. I'm sure a lot if people's medications must be like that. Your derm is probably thinking the potential benefits are more than the potential risks. As you're on accutane I'm sure you have thought about this before! :) If you are having a really bad time with your skin atm then maybe it's worth giving it a go? Good luck anyway with whatever you choose :) 

MemberMember
(@oli-girl)

Posted : 05/03/2016 12:05 am

I would say your biggest concern in taking Accutane and a prednisone isbone issues. Both are known toeffect the bones. It is common when taking Accutane to have the initial breakout. In fact some do not clear up till after theircourse is over.It isstated by Roche themselves that the drug continues to work 2-4 months after stopping. Along with the other long list of side effects that can become a reality.

Good Luck!

MemberMember
(@crapskin)

Posted : 05/03/2016 4:09 am

12 hours ago, WittySock said:

The possible side effects of my asthma inhaler include shortness of breath and bronchial spasm. Taking my asthma meds could in theory cause me to have an asthma attack. I'm sure a lot if people's medications must be like that. Your derm is probably thinking the potential benefits are more than the potential risks. As you're on accutane I'm sure you have thought about this before! :) If you are having a really bad time with your skin atm then maybe it's worth giving it a go? Good luck anyway with whatever you choose :) 

Ahh! I didn't know that about inhalers haha, Learn something everyday. It's not bad time but it's worst i've ever been. I suffered with closed comedomes and blackheads and the average few spots a week. It was however consistant and never getting better so been on a low dose of 40mg a day i'm 178lbs and was told 16 weeks and ill be done. However I'm week 11 and i've started to break out in larger ones that are causing my skin to go red and stay red.

3 hours ago, oli girl said:

I would say your biggest concern in taking Accutane and a prednisone is bone issues. Both are known to effect the bones. It is common  when taking Accutane to have the initial breakout. In fact some do not clear up till after their course is over. It is stated by Roche themselves that the drug continues to work 2-4 months after stopping.  Along with the other long list of side effects that can become a reality.

Good Luck!

I'm not overly concerned about my bones, The presc is only for 2 weeks I think she said I'm just worried about it getting even worse. Like i said above i didnt suffer with bad acne it was more for non inflammed but times have changed and i wish I had not gone on this as the state of my face now is nothing ive ever dealt with before. 🙁 

MemberMember
(@crapskin)

Posted : 05/03/2016 5:26 am

Just went to boots chemist to get it and my derm has prescribed me with 25mg a day this is 5x5mg tablets a day for 14 days. Personally I'm going to do 20mg a day.

I've seen people with server cystic acne breakouts get prescribed 10-20mg a day for 2 weeks and have benefited. I'm talking about 5 active red marks on one cheek so i'll take 20mg,

MemberMember
(@bigappleedubs)

Posted : 05/03/2016 1:47 pm

For what it's worth, my derm put me on prednisone when he doubled my accutane dosage, and it cleared up my skin DRAMATICALLY during that week I took it. They prescribe it to help with initial breakouts (and even for non-accutane breakouts...my sister took it the week of her wedding because she was so broken out from stress). It definitely helped.